News

First Ebuka, Now Matilda Mozia – The “Front Seat” Debate

Matilda Obaseki-Mozia - April 2014 - BellaNaija,com

And the conversation continues.

BN brought you the front seat debate on Friday, when TV personality Ebuka Obi-Uchendu tweeted about it. (click here to read)

It is all about who gets the front seat – both the car and the attention, the best friend or the girlfriend/wife.

It was a heated debate and very interesting, with a lot of BellaNaijarians saying “to the back, to the back” for the friend.

Tinsel actress Matilda Obaseki-Mozia shared via Instagram, her thoughts on the debate.
“So today a friend of mine was talkin (talking) to me abt (about) a debate dat (that) was started online a while back about who gets to sit on d (the) passenger seat after a guy gets married? the best friend or d (the) wife? of all the things to worry about, a wife shouldn’t have to worry about her hubbyz (hubby’s) friend.

So (I) have two things to say first to friend n (and) then to wife
1. Dear friend, are u a learner? When a man gets married ur (your) position as best friend changes from bf numba1 (number 1) to bf numba2 (number 2) cos (because) his wife automatically becomes his best friend numba1 (number 1) making u d (the) third wheel which dsnt (doesn’t) have to be a bad thing depending on how u behave urself (yourself)…lol.so pls (please) just head to d back unless either of couple suggest u seat in front.

2.Dear wifey, whats five mins (minutes) dat (that) u (you) can’t give up? He may be married to u (you) but hez (he’s) not going to suddenly throw his friends away cos hez (he’s) now married, u (you) need to find a balance unless dat (that) friend na ‘bad friend’ in which case i (I) advice u walk majestically to the front seat n (and) sit down dia… Lol
But seriously i (I) just walk to d back seat, his friend can have d front seat of a car, i (I) own d bedroom which really is what matters hehehehe”

BellaNaijarians, over to you…

1. Karonwi

April 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm

This is what I’ve been saying! Giving up the front seat for his friend doesn’t make u less a wife.
    But yea the wife can just pray hubby’s best friend gets his own car. Looool

2. nammy

April 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Ya five mins at the back seat wouldn’t kill me, but it’s d way its presented- went out with my guy one day, we picked a frnd of his along d way, we all stopped to buy something though I was d one doin d buying, a beta parking space opened up nd they both went to get d car, by the time they pulled up at the entrance, d frnd had usurped my position in front, of course with the encouragement of my guy. Now this frnd stopped along d way and my guy now motioned me to d front. Ya u guessed rite, I sat motionless,cross-legged at the owner’s corner of d back seat.

• ms_zee

April 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Your guy Na correct guy..codedly

3. Am dbanj :)

April 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Whats all these debate sef?
    it depends on who gets to the car/is in the car first.

Courtesy demands that when two people are in a car, they both take the front seat (driver and passenger seat). You cant go sit at the back and turn the man to a driver. If the third person comes in, no matter who he/she is (be it wife, gf, bf, sister, uncle, madam or whatever) he/she automatically takes the back seat.

If the man and his friend had been in the car before getting to where the girl is, you dont expect the friend to come down for the girl to sit in front.

If the man and his girl had been in the car and gets to where his friend is, he can never say the girl should come down for him to take the front seat

BN friends, now i want to Sit or seat or shit or sheet or cheat 🙂

4. Tayo

April 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm

she is so on point….u own d bedroom which is the most important thing shikena

5. ivie

April 24, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Spot on Tilda!

6. Stephanie

April 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Emmm…i don’t know oh. It depends sha, but i think out of courtesy, the wife should stay behind. Except the bestfriend is a girl…that’s a different ball game all together
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

• Dee

April 24, 2014 at 9:59 pm

If the ‘best friend’ is a girl, she has no business even entering d car in d first place. best friend ni, worst enemy ko

7. nomad

April 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm

On top all the wahala wey dey this earth, correction this country, it’s this bullshit you’re gonna waste your energy to argue over?

Damn, Naija, we gots priorities. Owner’s corner, front seat, back seat, all to maintain some supposed “status” in your head that’s important for only you.

8. Naveah

April 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I ride in the front seat with my husband point blank period UNLESS I decide to relegate myself to the back which I have done a few times. And when I’ve have done so it is because I want them to have their bobo gist and I want to sleep or spread out my work in the back etc. I will not condone my husband’s best friend just walking up to the passenger seat without asking me if I’d like to sit up front or not. My husband is NOT my chauffeur and my rightful place is by his side UNLESS I say otherwise. There are some friends that don’t know their place and sometimes you have to let them know that levels don change.

• Hannah

April 24, 2014 at 4:53 pm

@Naveah, Hi five. well said

9. tessa

April 24, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I cant believe that this made “twitter headlines” in Nigeria…..So lame a topic to discuss. LIKE REALLY?????????????????????????????????????????????

• nene

April 24, 2014 at 4:29 pm

read my mind! smh.

10. CYNTHIA

April 24, 2014 at 4:28 pm

front or back it doesn’t matter. whenever my hubby and i go out with friends(either mine or his), depending on who is driving, if it is his friend, i wld seat at the back or vice versa. it makes sense, it not about power or him trying to belittle u, it is more about respect for each other. my ladies, they are other things to worry ur sef about, this one na minor thing.

11. Hannah

April 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Well …. i always sit in the front seat in my Bf’s car. His Friends always exchange seats to the back when they come to pick me. Most times i allow his friend sit in front so they can enjoy their guy chat, while i enjoy the gist from the back seat and join in the fun.

When its his friend’s car , my bf and i always sit at the back and allow his babe to sit in front ( which is normal)

The point is that my Bf has really polite friends who already treat me like their sister or the only girl in their clique, so there already now when Hannah is around they always move to the back, some times my bf tells them to bounce because he wants to seat next to me , lolz .

…. as for the ” ur own is the bedroom” c’mon , he is not only my Boyfriend , but he is my Best friend . Like we watch football together, play video-games , cook together, shop together, at church we already have a seat together lolz , …. so when u say the Bedroom is my own don’t make it feel women are subject to kitchen , market and bedroom , its disgusting . if any one told me ” Yeah Hannah leave the front seat and football to his guys , at least your own is the bedroom and Kitchen” … pls what is that supposed to mean? My bf sef wont find that statement funny. so Mrs Matilda abeg rewrite that.

12. Sade

April 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Really? This is an argument??
    Whoever gets there first should sit there unless there is a good reason they shouldn’t and I don’t see how there is in this case. Nigerians (in general) are too hung up on unnecessary respect issues which then fosters animosity. Just because someone is female or younger doesn’t mean they don’t deserve as much respect as any other person. If anyone deserves the front seat just by virtue of who they are, it’s the person that has been chosen to be a life partner. No need for these silly arguments.

Lord knows the man that expects me to give up my space so that I “don’t disrespect his best friend” is getting the boot. A father, mother, uncle or aunt I can understand but best friend? What rubbish.

13. Ekaette

April 24, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Whoever calls calls shotgun first takes the front seat!

14. Muse

April 24, 2014 at 6:09 pm

seriously tho, people have too much time on their hands cos i can’t believe this even made a topic for discussion, like seriously??? smh

15. Jade

April 24, 2014 at 9:10 pm

My boyfriend should get a car first so we can have this argument 🙂

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 24, 2014 at 11:09 pm

hahahahahahahaha…… As in eh!! No be person wey get Eba to begin with go dey prefer am hot or cold? Mssschewww!! yeye argument.

I even kinda understand the argument for an unmarried couple….but even your wife?? Chai!! Nigerian women have suffered!!

16. RealHousewife of NewYork

April 25, 2014 at 6:03 am

I think @Navaeh has is right. As the wife, you should be by his side, that is your authority as a wife.

But a lot of the debate seems to be about the man driving.

What if the woman was driving? My husband would nehhhverrrr take backseat to any woman. Never, I woudln’t expect him to.

To each his own.

17. Luchi

April 25, 2014 at 6:45 am

Jade, both of us shld jst hold hands and pray… Our bfs shld get a car first then we can join this argument. For nw, cab man, bike man, commercial bus no mind where we sit…lol

18. TeeteePretty

April 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

@ Luchi: abeg no kill me with laughter

19. Happiness Orji

April 29, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Mssssteeeeeew abeg u all should debate this baseless issue, after 4 deliveries and 3 kids, @ this point wey we dey find money to do vacation for Dubai, US n UK unto work life balance nai who take front sit matta. Abege

20. victoria

May 13, 2014 at 10:53 pm

@sadee I feel u oo, really I can’t let any1 (mother,father,brother sister,friend take my place by ny hubby’s side. Imagine u wearing same native attire with your hubby to a wedding and u sut at d back like a moron!!! Wat God has joined together let no friend or family put assunder. Shikena