News

Eniola Badmus on Accepting Her Weight, compares Self to Gabourey Sidibe

Eniola Badmus - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Eniola Badmus often referred to as Gbogbo Big Girlz for her role in “Jenifa” speaks once again on loving her body.

Taking to social media to compare herself in similar dresses as Gabourey Sidibe, the actress encourages other plus size ladies to accept their looks and weight.

“To lose confidence in one’s body is to lose confidence in oneself.” and “Accept yourself now – no matter how much you weigh, what you see in the mirror, or how your clothes fit. #Nigerians thank God u gat mi.”
Eniola Badmus - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02

1. Anon

June 5, 2014 at 11:46 am

Oh No Eniola … self confidence is good no doubt , we welcome it BUT what about your health ? You are grossly overweight and highly susceptible to heart issues, diabetes and all manner of obesity related diseases. My SISTER , your confidence would not save you oh if you suddenly fall sick and die. With the deplorable state of healthcare in Nigeria, please gather some money and begin to lose weight fast or undergo VSG overseas. Trust me you will thank the folks in Nija who really cares about you .
    Forget this nonsense talk about confidence, self esteem etc. YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE/HAPPY ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT (Admit it)

• Anon 01

June 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm

i weigh 105 and i know how difficult it is to loss weight especially if it is genetic. Slim pple should try and encourage some of us instead of being judgmental. I understand Eniola’s speech about confidence. I for one have confidence and would not allow the judgmental behavior of other give me self esteem issues

• Cheliz

June 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Health reasons aside, A lot of overweight ladies are confident, yes but the fact that the weight doesn’t let people see your true age should be enough to motivate you to shed. Eniola, now that you look this beautiful, imagine when you lose just 20kg? Omg! you will finish all the slim ladies in Nollywood, coupled with your talent. Babe, come lets delete 20 years from your age and make you look and feel 16 again. Its possible, i did it, you can too. see my pics:
      chelizrubycube.blogspot.com

• PurpleiciousBabe

June 5, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I beg to differ.
      When some people lose weight they gain extra skin or the weight has stretched the skin decreasing the plumpiness etc. I do not necessarily think being fat helps with looking younger depending…. I do think both chubby and skinny should aim to be healthy and live an active lifestyle. xx

• slice

June 5, 2014 at 9:31 pm

i agree with Purple. sometimes chubby looks younger. i’ve seen people look older after losing weight. but for health reasons, i’m in full support of weight loss

• marai

June 5, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Anuty Anon talking like that is very judgmental she is confident and self esteem yes she has but do you think talking the way you just did will encourage her to to lose the weight. i understand what you are saying though been overweight does a lot of damage to the body, lots of health risk and all but my sister i am 120 pounds and i am diabetics that should be like 54 kilogram i am pretty small but if been sick is about weight i should not have diabetes. i don’t eat sweet food and i hate candy so that is not y i have it. your weight doesn’t determine you health all the time. some big people are way more healthier than skinny people. to me been confidence doesn’t mean you have to stay the same. for eniola badmus there is room for improvement as confident as she is i still encourage her to get in the gym not only to lose weight but to make her heart strong cos work out doesn’t just help lose weight it strengthen you heart.

• The real Tol

June 6, 2014 at 6:50 am

What in the sweet ebonics hell are you going on about?
      Stick to sign language, hell, smoke signal, ’cause English is not your friend my dear….
      afi “diabetics” na! RME

• amara

July 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm

But.. thats her business. Why does it concern you

2. Amh

June 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

I love you eniola. You have got great talents, pls try and loose some weight. Its very unhealthy. It leads to diabetes and heart related disease. Food is the enemy i tell you its not worth it to be obese.

3. mulikat

June 5, 2014 at 11:59 am

they should have be Twins,who are ready to blow up, becareful if not u both will never get to 50yrs with this kilo.

4. iyke

June 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Dear Ms. Badmus, if you are reading this, please note that am not trying to be rude, sarcastic or hurtful to you.
    There are loads of ladies like you who hated their bodies so much they took extreme measures to try to change it. Ladies who cried for hours over the fact they would never be thin….. teased and tormented and hurt just for being who they are.
    I tell you, ‘Be so over that!
    I am sure that Bellanaija choose to put people on this blog because they are unique, not perfect.
    But just like ‘Anonymous’ (which of course) was a woman said, FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR HEALTH ALONE, it makes sense to loose weight.
    And if you are finding it difficult to do, in 8 weeks, I CAN HELP YOU at no cost shed some weights and then you tell us how you feel.
    Is that a deal?

• www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

June 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Iyke is this offer open to Eniola alone? I think I’m interested, especially @ at no cost. Ok seriously I’m curious…and interested. So since I can’t get your contact from your comment, here’s my email, in case you’re inclined to contact me. [email protected]

• Didi

June 5, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Nice. If u can, drop your methods for all to see so we the chubby ones can loose some unwanted fat. Thanks.

• Laide

June 5, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Lmaoo..the moment I saw overweight and confidence on the same post, I knew you would come here. You are really passionate about fitness..are you a personal trainer?

• Iyke

June 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm

No, I am NOT a fitness trainer, rather a very passionate fitness enthusiast who has a deeper understanding of my MIND/BODY and FOOD connection.I am throwing a challenge at Eniola and want to show her the other side of her life that she’s never seen. Power comes from within!
      Eniola, if you are reading this, take up my challenge and get in touch. All I ask is 8 weeks of your time, dedication and commitment, NATURALLY. After that, I leave you to FREELY compare your ‘Before’ and ‘After’. Let’s see if Confidence will NOT have a new meaning for you after this journey.

• berger n akara

June 6, 2014 at 2:32 am

well mr iyke, if it’s 8 weeks and its free, I am down. I’ve been trying to lose weight all through uni and it never happened. I just got braces and I think that has helped me lose close to 30lb. I’m still trying but I must have reached a plateau. so pls send me your workout plan. [email protected]

• me

June 9, 2014 at 9:43 am

Iyke biko challenger me o

5. me

June 5, 2014 at 12:23 pm

@anon you at the top. I get your point but it is her life, her choices we have all made choices in life and stood by them what’s so wrong in hers? She works, she has a good life what is it with people? There are fatter people out there leave the girl alone

6. Felicite Mensah

June 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm

@Anon, working in a medical field I have seen slim ladies with all the issues you have cited. being overweight doesn’t mean unhealthy. the slim die, the big also die, before you go about giving your opinion think. thanks

• Nwamaka

June 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Yea but you don’t need to be a medical doctor to see that these ladies up there are obese.It’s clearly written on them!

7. Nana Nasiru

June 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Eniola dear, loving yourself is the best thing you can ever do for yourself. people will always have their opinion about being big and curvy but they never know the challenges or emotional roller coaster big and curvy people go through ( we just love to judge people eh, I think people just judge others so they can feel good about themselves). look at yourself each day knowing you are beautiful either you loose weight or not.

8. slice

June 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm

from these pictures, gabourey needs the person that styles eniola cause her own stylist is not trying at all.

9. darmie

June 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm

stop hating ,leave her alone.If she dies of any disease how does that concern you?

10. Nwamaka

June 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm

She can look however she wants to and that’s her business HOWEVER it’s just not healthy and a burden on all your internal organs to drag all that weight around. Denial is denial, and if you want to live in it that’s your prerogative but if there are people you love around you they need to approach you about health concerns because that’s where the real problem lies here- not in how she looks…….No one said you should be skinny Eniola but for Pete’s sake be healthy.

11. oluwa2cute

June 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

But seriously,sm1 hs said it all…fink abt ur health,if nt 4 anything!!! We love u nd dats y we re so concerned!

12. nathaniel

June 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

BN: We need like and dislike buttons on comments. @DARMIE totally agreed with you and @SLICE i was thinking the same thing too. and Badmus has curves.

13. Dee

June 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I was once as big as gabourey and am nw a size 12. Confidence is key as a person even when you want to lose weight Cos if ur confidence is low motivation will be low as well . I understand Eniola and how she feels but it is paramount you be healthy. And those who say being overweight doesn’t mean been unhealthy your right but being overweight you at more risk of being unhealthy and the health issues that follow are massively compounded when your overweight. I still suffer the consequence of my history of obesity and it isn’t funny. And mine did nt come as a result of being a Foodie, I have had mobility problems which did not help. So long and short my advice is try your utmost best to keep healthy and you will lose weight in the process.

14. Busarni

June 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

OMG, why i love bellanaija. You see all sorts, well life will be boring without haters and lovers as well. Guess, God put them (bitter ppl/hater) here, to spice things up. See all of you being opinionated for Eniola matter. You can advice politely and avoid sounding rude; #voiceofreason. It’s her life and we have to respect that. It’s up to her to decide what she wants; if she feels healthy, good.

• idomagirl

June 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm

please shush….

15. TATA

June 5, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Eniola Badmus, if you are reading this pls do not mind the haters. to me, there is nothing wrong with the lady. Have you ever watched any of her films and see how smart she is? I think the issue of weight is a personal thing. I do not believe in the saying that if you are on the big side (i prefer using that to fat), that is when you have diabetics or high blood pressure or any disease for that matter. Are there no slim people with these sicknesses? Do not listen to anybody advising you to loose weight under 6 weeks. I tell you it is only your eyes that will loose the weight by going inside and before you know it , the same people will start complaining. Once you are okay with yourself – enjoy yourself baby! Afterall all of us cannot be SLIM. Please people, leave her alone.

16. @edDREAMZ

June 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I will and can never have a fat woman as a wife though but i like her confidence….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

17. Cheliz

June 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Lose the weight to save your life, leave confidence for now. Your health is more important. come let me help you Eniola.
    chelizrubycube.blogspot.com

18. Ekwitosi

June 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Monique said did all these and more she went as far as publishing a cookbook that had no restrictions and organizing a beauty pageant called fat chance. But today search for Monique and the story is different she is singing another tune!
    Take it from someone that lost a lot of weight, you will feel different! It would be like a new lease of life. My closet is busting at the seams from clothes and shoes I wouldn’t have dared worn before and oh yes you will loose a shoe size or two! Plus these items will be cheaper and easy to get.
    Keep the self-esteem and confidence but do something about the physical appearance because unfortunately this is a visual society. They may not say anything or they may agree with you but I tell you they are all judging you!
    I was on your bandwagon for a while and I woke up one day with ankle pain and back pain. That day I gave myself ‘the speech’ and I have not looked back since then. It is not an easy journey because I still go up and down but I am now in control of my body.
    Think about it and you will be glad you took the drastic steps to make changes.

19. kemi

June 5, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Just a little background on Eniola Badmus will tell you that she actually has lost a tiny bit of weight even though it’s not visible. And I remember a pic on IG I saw of her just getting back from the gym. Her Statement above is basically saying that you should be confident in yourself no matter how big you are. If you’re not confident in yourself, there is no way you will be able to lose weight and that’s the truth!! Inorder to lose weight, you have to understand your body because not everyone can drop those heavy pounds the same way. If you are not confident, you get sidetracked and insecure a lot cos you’re comparing yourself to other ladies out there. So yes she is right and I applaud her and Gabourey because you don’t know what they do behind closed doors.. You only see them once in a blue moon in public and then start judging!! And NO… INVASIVE SURGERY IS NOT FOR EVERYONE, NEITHER IS IT THE EASY WAY OUT

• Naveah

June 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm

you said everything I meant to say KPAM!

20. aisha

June 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Love the body you’re in Eniola! Good on you! Ppl should understand that not everyone can lose weight. Some are big no matter what they do. What matters is that you love yourself in any size, height or colour.

• Oompa Loompa

June 6, 2014 at 8:13 am

This is a lie from the bottom of hell. Unless you have an underlying medical issue, everyone can lose weight. Some are not just motivated or are just too lazy. And to the commentator who said obesity can be genetic. Hmmn. That’s only if your mom stuffed herself with food when she was preggo and gave birth to a fat baby and so the cycle continues.
      I think it is fallacious to make drastic changes and expect to see big changes overnight. Start small. Skip the soda and fried foods and oily foods. Drink a lot of water. Avoid mindless eating. Move around. Yes even in your house. At work drink water so you have to pee, go to the bathroom 2 floors above you. Consistency is key. In 6 months you could see a new you.

21. jay

June 5, 2014 at 4:04 pm

It amazes me everyday how some ppl are so negative. We condemn overweight people and think nothing of offering advice on losing weight. The post clearly states that she is confident. No matter what size you are or how you look you can still be confident. It doesn’t mean you don’t have work to do, it just means that you accept who you are at the stage you are at. Stop judging everyone can improve on themselves everyday, it just a matter of going through the process of life. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world.

22. caro

June 5, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I totally agree with the comments for eniola to lose weight. @iyke am also interested in your 8 weeks challenge. Here is my email address for the details [email protected]

23. I no send

June 5, 2014 at 5:06 pm

@ iyke pls give us ur email so we can join up thanx

24. Tosin

June 5, 2014 at 5:47 pm

They look great but they might try to get more healthy in some ways sha. Yes to celebrating our beauty, loving ourselves, and taking care of our health if possible.

25. frances

June 7, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I love Eniola’s confidence, I love gabrielle’s confidence.love yourself enough not to be bothered with anyone’s else’s comment.. but can we still love ourselves enough to do what’s right for our body? By loosing some weight and being fit? And being energetic? By making sure we dont die from high BP one day? By eating right? By exercising? If you love something, you will have its best interests at heart. Can we have our bodies interest at heart too? Do the right thing for u. There should be a balance,love you but love you enough to lose the extra weight..
    *Love