News

Joan Rivers Jokes about Missing Chibok Girls

Joan Rivers - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 03
When is comedy too much?

Recently, comedian/TV host Ellen DeGeneres made headlines about a tweet concerning Ghana, after the match against the US at the World Cup. For more details, read it here

Giulian Rancic, Kelly Osbourne & Zanna

Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne & Zanna Roberts Rassi

On E!’s Fashion Police, host Joan Rivers often jokes about celebs as well as trending headlines across the world.

While speaking on Angelina Jolie‘s spooky Christian Louboutin shoes, she spoke about the missing Chibok girls.

Joan Rivers - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

Here’s what she said;

“She looks amazing. And the story behind this, with the shoes and the dress, she did not get to that photo call till the last minute, because she was so worried about those 200 kidnapped Nigerian girls, because she had already made down payment on six of them.”

Joan was making reference to the fact the actress has adopted children from different countries.

The Youtube video is unavailable for viewing in Nigeria, but here is the link to the video.

1. St tracy

June 18, 2014 at 11:36 am

I watched it, it was directed more on Angelina Dan on the missing girls. Pls she was only joking Biko, make una no find wetin to talk every time. #bringbackourgirls

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 18, 2014 at 12:02 pm

However, I strongly doubt that she would have had the cojones to make the same joke using the Sandy Hook victims as her reference…

• mrs chidukane

June 18, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Because Sandy Hook was a real tragedy. This one is as well but it’s clearly not in the same category. I actually watched that episode and I laughed cos It really was a funny joke.Please BN,let us not turn into black Americans who take offense at everything. Some things are not that serious

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Babes, we can’t seperate the tragedies because one set of children died and another set ostensibly haven’t. For us in Nigeria, the abductions are a grave crime committed against our children. Even if the girls haven’t been physically murdered for the world to see, their innocence has certainly died. And frankly, I rank that right up there with murdering little kids in a classroom.

Maybe I’m coming off like a member of the American/Britico PC brigade but Joan wouldn’t and couldn’t have made the same joke about young white American/caucasian girls who’ve been missing for months. Or maybe my anger should be directed at GEJ for proving through out this entire fiasco, just how ineffectual he is to rule anything larger than a village hamlet.

However and before I turn away from Joan’s direction, even regardless of the Chibok girls being in issue, I truly and honestly do not understand why the concept of Angelina going around the world and enfolding otherwise abandoned children into her home, should be the brunt of any sort of joke. Why would anyone of sane thinking mock such a selfless attitude to the suffering of others? She (Joan) comes off sounding and acting like a haranguing crone when she goes off on these useless tangents but, I suppose, it pays the bills quite sufficiently.

• Iris

June 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Mrs Chidukane I didn’t take offence at it either and I agree that this is not worth getting all worked up for, but I don’t think you can separate this from Sandy Hook and call this less of a tragedy. Over 200 girls are missing, may have been continuously raped, been forced to denounce their religion, and no one (probably them included) can tell what more will be done to them. One parent has already died from grief. One is very much as tragic as the other. Regarding this issue however, it is really up to Angelina Jolie and the parents of these girls (who don’t know Joan Rivers anyway) to decide whether or not it was offensive.

• TANTRA

June 19, 2014 at 7:35 am

Mz SA, I agree with you. By the way, it is a silly joke.

2. sisi

June 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

wow… ugly comments coming from this old lady… she needs to relax in the home for the aged asap.

3. Nino

June 18, 2014 at 11:48 am

I watched it too…I did not find it offensive and I find alot of the things she says gasp worthy…no news here sorry BN

• Igbeyinadun

June 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Exactly! She says worse things which i find funny, some shocking but very funny.

4. deb

June 18, 2014 at 11:58 am

Actually, this is amusing. It’s a joke but Angelina might not findd it funny.

5. if u watch fashion police, u will understand joan rivers. Yes Chibok is a sore topic in nigeria, but the joke was actually on angelina jolie, n 4 me, fashion police team can do no wrong especially kelly osbourne.

June 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Medazeez

• Igbeyinadun

June 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Same for me ooo lol

6. MGee

June 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Watched it and was pissed off. If she was directing the speech to Angelina, then why connect it to the Chibok girls who are still kidnapped by terrorists for over 2 months. I seriously doubt she would make that comment if the abducted girls were white or Americans. Please jokes should have limits. #bringbackourgirls

7. Gistyinka Blog

June 18, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Whether you guys are joking with the issue of #BrinckBackOurGirls or not –What will want from our govt is to end terrorism the country and also bring back the girls alive..

8. larreta

June 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

It’s not available in UK as well…

9. xavier

June 18, 2014 at 12:18 pm

The joke was directed more at Angelina,but as a mother and grandmother it was insensitive of her. It was aired 2wks ago on E!

10. BiBiChin

June 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Please Leave Joan Rivers alone biko!!…Some Nigerians have joked about the missing girls more than anyone in the world!..Let her be!..Shes following our examples…

11. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

June 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I actually found it funny (though I don’t think there’s anything funny about our girls still being missing), I guess because it was actually directed at Angelina Jolie and not our Chibok girls. That said, those shoes aren’t that ‘spooky’. Haven’t we seen worse? In fact I quite like them although they’ll crumble under this my plus size frame *sobs*.

12. bomzy

June 18, 2014 at 12:50 pm

This is so irrelevant! Bellanaija, the joke was harmless, no big deal at all. Instead of making a fuss out of nothing, why not update us on what the govt is doing about the matter on ground! We dont even know if they really are still looking for the girls.

13. Stella Kashmoney

June 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I cannot stand this old hag.

• slice

June 18, 2014 at 2:37 pm

i cannot stand people who include age in their insult of others.

• TANTRA

June 19, 2014 at 7:37 am

Slice, I cannot stand not laughing at your comment.

14. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

June 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

While i didnt watch the episode in question, i do know @BN, that you can actually write a letter requesting/demanding for an apology from Joan or the network especially if you feel the joke was insensitive. Writing a post about it, getting us to comment whether sensitive or not esepcially if it was 2 weeks old doesnt help to correct wrongs. #bringbackourgirls.

15. Uc

June 18, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I watched it weeks back on E! Bella Naija d joke was on Anjelina Jolie not rilly on d Chibok girls.However said Nigerians have cracked more jokes with d chibok girls so let Joan Rivers be.Thank you.

16. @edDREAMZ

June 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    At her old age she still dey misbehave… Serious matter i swear….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

17. Work in Progress

June 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I watched the show and I thought the joke was about Angelina paying for 6 or so pairs of those shoes. I’d read online the day after Angelina wore the shoes that they were custom made for her for publicity events for a new Movie. The Article even showed pictures of her feet in different colours of the shoes.

18. dee

June 18, 2014 at 2:54 pm

@ Mz Socially Awkward nicely put, and rightly said, however I will not blame Joan Rivers in a heartbeat, the whole Chiboke tirade is beginning to seem like a joke on the international level, very soon yours truly Alaba boys will produce a movie for we all to purchase and watch, come to think of it we already have #bringbackourboys# trending on social media by our own people following the super eagles show of shame in Brazil.
    So tell me who is to blame?

19. sum1special

June 18, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I watched this episode and truthfully it didn’t seem like a bad joke, it was kind of funny. The jibe was more on Angelina Jolie than Nigeria. Its not everything we should take offense in.

20. B

June 18, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Why are hashing this out and making an ado out of nothing? First, this report is slow since that particular episode of Fashion Police aired about 2wks ago.
    Second, why go off on Joan Rivers when our very own Nollywood was quick to make a movie, which I’m sure renders a hypothesized account of the events, all in a bid to make profit off of it.
    Third, we all need to chill. Joan clearly was joking which may be in bad taste, it is not right but in the end it would not alter the unpredictable outcome. There are more important things to worry about abeg.
    BTW, I wonder how Joan joke differ significantly from the numerous “dia ris God” jokes.

21. Mostest

June 18, 2014 at 3:31 pm

In my opinion making reference to the missing girls is totally wrong even if it was directed at Jolie. It’s just like saying “yo mama” jokes are not an insult to your mother because it is directed at you. Joan rivers is not in any position to insult someone, one of these days someone will come back at her ugly old self alongside her equally ugly daughter.

22. Queen B

June 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Seriously. . .HAHAHA Angelina wear nah which kind show that so????? I love Joan Rivers . . .Shez Fashion Police!!! Now Naija Police do ur own home work and Bring Back Our Gurlzzzz. . . .