News

Charly Boy shares Photos from Father Justice Oputa’s Burial

BellaNaija.com

Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
In May 2014, former Supreme Court Judge and father to former P-MAN president Charly Boy, Justice Chukwudifu Oputa passed on at the age of 96.

His famous son as well as the rest of the family, later made arrangements for the burial. Charly who revealed preparations went fine, said because of the stress he began smoking again after quitting for over five years.

Charly Boy took to social media to share all the moments from the burial ceremony.

Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 05 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 011 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 07 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 08 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 09 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 03 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 04 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 018 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 019 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 013 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 017 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 016 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 012 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 015 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 010 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 014 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 020 Charly Boy's Father's Burial - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 06
In an interview with Benjamin Njouku of Vanguard Newspapers, he addressed viral reports that he embarrassed Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State.

I didn’t embarrass him. You can believe anything you read from the dailies. But I can’t go out of my way to embarrass anybody. I only insisted that I wouldn’t tolerate people with bad political breath to preside over my father’s burial rites. The corpse belonged to the Oputa family, and not the state or federal government.
Being Charley Boy, my action creates a lot of controversies. I am not a politician and I can never be one.

I don’t do things the way every other person would want to do them. My own things are bound to be a little different. Integrity is my watchword and when I give you my word, you can go to sleep. I expect same from people who deal with me. I didn’t understand why somebody would graciously choose to assist us by making a donation to the family and thereafter, they went on air to announce it. That was not a gentleman action and it was what really angered me.

Secondly, three days after my father’s death, I sounded a note of warning that it won’t turn to a political thing. You know the kind of father I had, and what he stood for. I don’t want them to politicise his burial rites. After they made the donation, and I never denied that they didn’t give us money. But I was embarrassed that they were announcing it over the radio and in the pages of newspapers.

If you are doing something with the family, first of all, we are the chief mourner, as well as Governor Rochas Okorocha, but it would be proper that they confide in the family in whatever they were planning to do in respect of the buruial rites. If there is something we can bring to the table to enhance it, then it would be to the credit of the governor. But he didn’t do that and they were all shifty. We didn’t know what they were planning, they didn’t care to know what we were planning.

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Deedar

July 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Have to agree with the way he handled Rochas. Sometimes people need to be put in their place. I hate the insensitivity that government can exhibit sometimes. His father was not a government apologist and I’m sure he would be proud of his son’s actions. As for those two ladies flanking Charly Boy all the time, all I can say is to each their own….

2. Leah

July 5, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Isn’t there a place and time for everything?

3. Ama

July 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm

In the voice of Igbo people looking @ those girls with wigs:
    “Charlie wu onyeara! Lekwe umu nwanyi ebenile yiri akwa ka ojuju calabar”

• Teris

July 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm

…to make point clear, enh… googooo translates this so:
      “Charlie Wu Niger! Lekwe women the similar ebenile great to decline calabar”. Biko, break it down for the rest of us so that comm is two-way, eh!

• Me

July 5, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Translation: Charlie mad man, see women everywhere dressed like masquerades.

• olaedo

July 6, 2014 at 2:27 am

Nne, your translation goes thus: Charlie is a mad man, see these women dressed like calabar masquerades.

• Tru

July 7, 2014 at 9:05 am

Hehehehehehehe

4. beatrice

July 5, 2014 at 7:02 pm

CHARLY BOY! Such a unique fellow. I admire the way his father accepted him just as he is.

• GoodChiddy

January 22, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Nnaa
      It was after a furlong struggle but Charly B – Dedem remained himself and must have made His FEARLESS Father proud with his handling of the burial

5. okkk

July 5, 2014 at 7:06 pm

those two girls,do they have family members?they should go and ask God for forgiveness.like i’m trying really hard not to say anything bad about this man but thanks goodness we are not related sha coz i for dis-father you.

6. makash

July 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm

RIP Justice Oputa.
    Charly boy sha

7. amaa

July 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm

There is a difference between the Charles Oputa and Charly Boy the brand please guys don’t get it twisted. He loved his father very much and his father accepted him who are we to judge him. RIP Oputa panel a great man indeed

8. Moyo

July 5, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Hmmmn, uncle Charlie, O di egwu o, it is well

9. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

July 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm

While I respect the stand he took with the state government, I am sorry, I dont get all the whatchumacallit for a burial especially for one as close or special as a father.

10. Dora

July 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Couldnt he have just left the day for his father.Must the attention always be on him?? Its a funeral for a very close relative not a cheap nollywood movie or one of ur music videos.*Sigh*

• GoodChiddy Ejinkeonye Mgbedike

January 22, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Remember,
      Charlie B is the next Leader ( I presume) of that famous family. Certain things should not wait. He demonstrated that he can step into his father’s shoes. Charlie B is one of those you do not dare, else you run into a CONCRETE roadblock. Well done Charlie B

11. Shadie

July 5, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Charley boy did say he does not conform to societal norms, he is different and his late Father loved and accepted as is so our opinions or condemnations of him does not matter.

• Maxime

July 6, 2014 at 1:08 am

True talk. I think it’s admirable the unconditional love and father/son bond they shared despite being sooo very different. Charly Boy does his own thing and has done so for decades, so this display and dressing is not surprising at all.

12. t-boy

July 5, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Charlie boy was a constant visitor to my high school. He is really a nice man, he’s simply his own.

13. Better

July 5, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I love him! He is so eccentric. Lmao at what those people might have been thinking.

14. supercute diamond

July 6, 2014 at 12:59 am

That man lives and feeds n propaganda! Mtcheew Charly boy did well, but these ojuju hairs I see everywhere na wa o.

15. DJ STELCH

July 6, 2014 at 7:17 am

Can I say I love this Man, Mehn this dude is something else.. he looks cultish but nothing de there, Camouflage.. #Nothing.

……………..
    ¤GROWN MAN IN A YOUNG BODY¤

16. Devilsadvocate

July 6, 2014 at 7:27 am

Charley! nigerian politicians offering gifts, two words – Trojan horse. Am sure u knew that the GIFT came with strings attached. You weren’t born yesterday. Perhaps if u had cut down on using the burial as a platform for your own spectacular u wouldn’t have needed the money!. As it is the politicians also contributed for the use of the same platform.

17. bukola

July 6, 2014 at 10:37 am

RIP Oputa.

18. humm

July 6, 2014 at 1:52 pm

His father will be glad to see those girls in wigs!!!

19. sum1special

July 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

RIP Justice Oputa

20. Emma

July 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

That is Africa Our Africa!

21. de general

July 8, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I like ur swag…
    Your papa was a good man.
    May his gentle soul rest in peace.

22. kay