News

Kano Women Abandon Hijab to Avoid Being Labelled as Suicide Bombers

BellaNaija.com

Some women in Kano State have  stopped wearing hijabs to avoid being suspected of being suicide bombers.

This trend arose as a result of the sudden spate of suicide bombings carried out by young, Muslim teenage girls in Kano and other Northern regions last month, The News reports.

The bombings are said to have incited fear in the minds of people whenever they are around women wearing hijabs.

“I no longer wear my hijab because people now see any young woman in hijab as a potential suicide bomber because of the recent incidents. I now put on my shawl (headscarf) when I go out pending the time the city gets over the trauma of this frightening trend,” said 17-year-old Hajara Musa.

Musa also recounts an incident when she was prevented from entering a supermarket because of her attire.

Similarly, another woman, Samaila Abdussalam revealed that women wearing niqab, (which covers the whole face except the eyes), draw even more  fears and suspicions.

Hafsat Yaya, also shared her experiences, stating “I have stopped carrying a handbag around because of the suspicion it raises. I now carry a small purse wherever I go.”

According to an AFP report, some men in Kano have expressed fears about being around women in hijabs.

One of such men is Bala Dawud.

“I shudder with fear when I find myself next to a young woman in hijab because she could be a suicide bomber,” he said.

Dawud recounted an incident when people on a queue at an ATM machine dispersed suddenly because a woman wearing a hijab joined the queue, asking if the machine was functioning properly.

“As soon as she was told yes, she pulled out her mobile phone and called someone, telling him she had found a machine dispensing cash and before you knew it the whole crowd dispersed, leaving the woman alone,” he said.

Photo Credit: Darrinhenry/Dreamstime.com

***

It is sad that the actions of a few people have led to the profiling of an entire group of people.

1. Moses

August 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I it is really good I dear, to let people no who you are.

2. Grace

August 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm

LMAO….who no go fear.
    We all have to be very careful……

3. eesha

August 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Lol @ the ATM story, i can imagine the speed at which some people ran, i’m sure Bolt’s got nothing on them.

4. aisha

August 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Na wa ooo… People now live in fear!which way Nigeria?

5. Temi

August 13, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Hahahahahaha, dis is so funny. Cant stop lauhing

6. fraier lawrence

August 13, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Lols nobody wants to [email protected] fear of boko boys is the begining of wisdom

7. Aragon

August 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Thank God. I wish this trend would continue. I remember growing up and not seeing anyone wearing those hideous outfits. Worse still, it makes a bad-looking and unkempt girl/woman look even more terrible.
    Please dump them, if you could.

• Aj

August 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I will wear my hijab anytime anywhere and who ever wants to discriminate me for that or label me as a bomber na our own soup I know am not … So am.not leaving my religious pratices for nobody… And boko haram can F*ck off because they are not real muslims

• Teris

August 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

that’s all right m’dear. you know you. the rest of the world does not.

the fact is if u saw a mad man walking towards u on the street, se u will shift and give him road… it may never take him to go all “were” on you but you certainly don’t want to find out.

that’s all this is. chics going ka-boom happens. no one knows which hijab-clad individual is about to go crater – and nobody wants to find out. some ladies have chosen the my-hands-are-up-in-the-air-i’m-unarmed approach, and society appreciates their consideration for general peace of mind. that’s all this is.

• dfd

August 14, 2014 at 2:41 am

Lies… BH are the real muslims…. you are the fake one.

UNtil you kill the infidels you are a fake one

• Luqman

August 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

It depends on the region you grew up, if happened that you were raised in the Northern part or South West where most families are half Christians and Half Muslims, it won’t be something new to you. Hijab is not meant for fashion purposes, it is something that has been ordained by creator on Muslim women to cover their body, and it has difference stages depending on the faith of the Users. Using Hijab doesn’t literally means someone is not clean, it is just a stereotypical way of looking down on those people using it. Dirtiness has nothing to do with any religions, it is an inbuilt character that someone has to work on. I will advice you to go and read etiquette in Islam, you will know that God himself is very clean and he won’t take anything unclean from you.

• Luqman

August 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm

*different

• Aragon

August 13, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Nigerians and Africans in general tend to swallow anything from a light-skinned person hook, line and sinker. Have you ever bothered to find out why Islamic women cover themselves? Pls take some time to study. It wouldn’t hurt. There is nothing holy about covering oneself up.
      The hijab/veil can be traced back to ancient Indo-European cultures such as the Greeks, Romans, Persians, etc. It was mostly worn by upper class women to distinguish themselves from lower class women. With time, these women started dropping the dress code while the lower class women quickly adopted it with the notion that it would help their upward moibility through the strata of society.
      Like so many things Islamic, things are copied and forcefully fed to largely ignorant people who are then discouraged to ask questions.
      Please read and get informed. Most importantly, dump foreign religions, if you could.

• siggy

August 14, 2014 at 10:20 pm

those responsible and their sponsors and those who rejoice over this issue will pay for it in hell

• siggy

August 14, 2014 at 10:49 pm

the media hav failed to infect the air wave as they normally do, with the fact that not all the suspects arrested so far are muslims. ask the military how many abubaka shekau have they killed. how boko haram have graduated from using milo tin in making bombs into attacking in armoured vehicles. how do you cooperate in what you have little or no knowledge of, other than what you heard from the media. what was the sin of sheik albani who was killed along with his son in zaria and other prominent scholars of islam by the insurgents. my believe is that the truth will soon be revealed.

8. bruno

August 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm

This news article is very pretentious, the writer is trying to get sympathy for the muslim women who wear hijab, nice try but I can see thru you, post my comment.

• proud muslima

August 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm

So innocent muslim women who are just practising their religion should stop because some minority who are out to destroy the religion? People stop and think… So we should conform to the societies norms? So Where is the freedom then? All this propaganda that the media is creating toward muslims and Islam. But nobody mentions how Israel is terrorising the people of Gaza a stateless nation with no army and yet people like saying muslims like bloodshed but if that was the case then with 50% of nigerians bieng muslims I dont think there would be any nigerians left.

• amebo

August 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Gaza throw the first stone and Israël replied with a mountain. Deal with it.

• benny

August 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Lol. U people like to look for trouble and cry wolf when trouble answers. Gaza looked for this trouble, u were mute because it is expected that only Muslims enjoy the monopoly of madness isn’t it? Now that Israel is giving it back u ppl are crying foul. Meanwhile, if the killings in gaza trouble u a nigerian more than the wiping out of minorities in benue, nassarawa, kaduna, jos, taraba etc, then it is obvious u are a biased supporter of murder as long as it is directed towards “infidels” not muslims.
      P.S no one is forcing you to take off ur hijab. Wear it please. If I see u of course il run for my life but wear ur thing in peace.

• The Bull

August 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Keep pointing fingers at others, it is never your fault, why shouldn’t people fear, is it the media that wore hijab and blew places up? Face facts and stop with the excuses, you are mentioning Gaza, what of what is going on in your country have u talked about Borno , Kano ? And finally Hamas knows what to do, to end the war they would always lose.

• Iris

August 14, 2014 at 4:12 am

Actually it is not a case of “some minority who are out to destroy the religion.” It is a very clear case of an ARMED and growing population who are making it their mission to destroy unarmed PEOPLE (not your religion) and enforce it on an entire country. Abi you have not heard Boko Haram’s goal? Al Qaeda has denounced ISIS in Iraq and Boko Haram has embraced them. You think you’re a victim? Tell that to the Chibok girls. Tell that to the people who were in the UN building in Abuja in 2012. Tell that to the hundreds of villagers, commuting masses, and people in churches who have been mercilessly blasted, beheaded, and macheted into the afterlife.

• Iris

August 14, 2014 at 4:20 am

I meant the UN building in 2011. And honestly speaking, I’m getting tired of the whole “Boko Haram are not real Muslims” cry. We know they aren’t but have you gone to tell them? I want to see Muslim communities get up as one and speak publicly against Boko Haram. Don’t speak as part of a larger Nigerian population. Speak as Muslims. Does it suck that it seems people expect you to defend your religion? Yes it does. However, they are killing in the name of your religion, so if you’re not going to do that, don’t expect people not to profile you a little as this madness continues. I have Muslim friends and I know what they are and are not capable of, but if I see a girl I don’t know wearing a hijab in Nigeria, best believe I will sharpen my eyes and tense for flight if necessary.

• iyk

August 14, 2014 at 8:37 am

Stateless Nation with no army but with strong terrorist that do not value human lives.why is it that Islam is always associated with terrorism &wars?

• The Raven

August 14, 2014 at 8:38 pm

You said small muslim Minority are out to destroy a religion, well that small minority are only out to destroy Infidels, they believe they are doing what is right, the religion is not the target to them the Infidels are. If lets say the minority of fundamentalists is 10% of the Muslim population, let us calculate 10% of the 1.62 Billion Muslims, that is 162 Million, it took just 19 to kill 3000 on September 2011.

9. Chichi

August 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I think they should hold up with the hijab wearing for now make people see road

10. Tosin

August 13, 2014 at 3:14 pm

wow, surprising things happen.

11. portia

August 13, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Benny chop knuckle joor! If i see you near me wearing it,i shall pick race biko

12. e-bukun

August 13, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I went to grad school with a friend from Egypt, who wore a hijab throughout our first year. One day, midway through our second year, she came up to me on our way to class without her hijab. I did a double take, because I didn’t recognize her at first. When I asked her why she decided to take it off, she said because she thought about how the decision to put it on had never been her in the first place. Mind you, this lady is in her late twenties. I’m not Muslim, so I don’t know what the rules and beliefs are. But I respected, and continue to respect my friend’s decision, because in my life I made my choice to be a Christian, and not because anyone told me that I had to.

13. chick

August 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm

if d que at an atm is much,I cld jst get a hijab n wear so pple can take off for me to use it.hahahaha

14. @edDREAMZ

August 13, 2014 at 10:47 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Nice choice they took there….. Who go want make them call am terrorists…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

15. Iris

August 14, 2014 at 4:12 am

16. adelegirl

August 14, 2014 at 8:29 am

I wondered when this would make the news. Not just hijab wearing women, Northern female beggars are now suspect. The other day I was at a traffic light and saw this disabled northern woman with a walking crutch begging for alms. This was not too long after the Kano bombing incident. The way my blood pressure rose and my heart started beating fast ehn. Shoulda seen the way I sped off when the lights went green. It is sad that a few bad apples are spoiling the bunch but I think Nigerian Muslims have done themselves a disservice by not speaking out very vocally against these insurgents when they first started their reign of terror. Some if not most, silently egged them on. They refused to cooperate with the authorities in giving up the murderous misguided ones in their midst, now they have to cope with being tarred with the same brush as the terrorists. Best believe if that ATM scenario happened, I would have been the first out of there as soon as I spied the Hijab wearing lady. It is unfortunate but it is the reality we have to deal with now until the terrorists are quelled.