Career

U.K Graduate Holds up Sign Advertising Himself at Train Station & Lands Job Interviews!

Alfred Ajani Bella Naija

To all the job seekers out there. Perhaps it’s time to employ some unconventional tactics to start getting those job interviews!

Alfred Ajani, a 22-year-old who studied Marketing at Coventry University and graduated with a 2-1 in May this year, had applied for over 300 positions and was yet to get a favourable response.

Unhappy with the situation, he decided to stand at Waterloo Station this morning and hand out CVs to people commuting into London through the station, Daily Mail reports

Ajani, who appears to be of Nigerian parentage, stood at the station’s entrance, holding up a placard stating: ‘Marketing graduate (BA Hons 2:1 Coventry Uni) Ask for CV.’

His unusual approach attracted the attention of many commuters, including company bosses, who stopped to talk with him to discuss potential positions and pick up CVs.

He has since received several phone calls from interested employers, and even has a job interview scheduled for this afternoon.

Speaking about what motivated him to take this unusual approach to job hunting, Ajani says he was frustrated that he hadn’t found a job since May, and that the opportunities he had found weren’t areas he was interested in. He is interested in strictly marketing/advertising jobs.

“I realised that there are thousands of students out there using the same old methods of applying for jobs online and through recruitment agencies and so I thought I’d try something different.

I got up early and went to the station. At first people just looked at me but after about 10 minutes people starting stopping and talking. They said they’d never seen anything like it before and were really impressed,” he says.

A photo of Ajani giving his CV to people at the train station made its way to Twitter, prompting many people on the social media platform to commend his efforts, and offering to assist him.

***

So inspiring! Have you ever employed unconventional means to achieve your dreams? Share with us!

Photo Credit: Daily Mail

1. Jane Public

August 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Smart move. Someone tried this 2 years ago in the UK too, this one even went large. He spent his last £500 paying for a billboard ad. He got a job before the week ran out. Well done Alfred

• ALS challenge

August 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Indeed I remember the story first guy who did this 2 years ago or late 2011. He’s a white guy. And yes he did land a job before the first week ran out! I remember the story cos I read it one morning via Metro newspaper on my commute to work, and I’m pretty sure that’s from where this other guy got his inspiration.
      No shame tactic in job hunting! Always pays off

2. Anon

August 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm

This tends to work if you are bold enough. I remember someone putting up a big sign outside Kilburn station. He got lots of offers and eventually got employed.

3. Anna

August 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I’m sad I didn’t think of this first!

• ALS challenge

August 19, 2014 at 4:04 pm

It’s not late anytime to try this method as it is and will remain a veeeery unconventional and shame-filled technic which only the super bold can pull off but truth is, it always will pay off! And pay off super ASAP! Especially if you got good grades to back it up like those two guys had got

4. brownsugar

August 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Yes! That’s the spirit! trying something different for a change is the key. one can’t keep doing things the same way and expect a different result. Mr Alfred i commend your efforts… You will get that particular job you desire in Jesus Name….

5. dee

August 19, 2014 at 2:39 pm

it must be my period, cos this brought tears to my eyes. Soo inspiring!

• omayeli atie

August 19, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Not ur period … me tooo

6. Dora the explorer

August 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Way to go man!!! Hopefully he would cup a job before the end of the week.
    I applied some unconventional method when I tried to get my current apartment, I wanted a particular location and building even.. So I went ahead and printed fliers saying “A neat female available immediately for a flateshare contact me on zyx if you have a spare room” I slipped it into all the flats and there! I had the luxury of even choosing the one I thought was best out of 4 offers.

7. Rose

August 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Absolutely inspiring, and encouraging. You’re the best marketer for yourself.

• ALS challenge

August 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Exactly! How can you be a good marketer if you can’t market yourself first! Way to go! He indeed got it on the inside of him and it will pay off!

8. Gorgeous

August 19, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Well, you have to do what you have to do. Getting jobs these days is like pulling teeth.

9. Fume

August 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Now this is what i call real hustle, i pray he gets a well paying job asap

10. Iyke

August 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm

You would not believe how I got my first real corporate job. One bright Saturday Morning, 3 months after my graduation from Graduate Business Sch,I went for my usual early morning cliff run.Nothing unusual except that I noticed the cliff parts had overgrown with weeds. In front of me, I saw a group of elderly locals clearing the parts. I wished them well as I jogged past them … 10 mins later, I saw another man all alone clearing a partway,I greeted him, ran past him, suddenly stopped and walked back towards him. I greeted him and asked him if he was volunteering. He nodded ad gave me a friendly smile.
    Since I love volunteering, I offered to help clear the partways, after all, I am a regular user of same partway. That was how my run ended that day.
    We had a very wonderful discussion on Sustainable Development as we worked. He was impressed and asked a lot of questions on the effects of Oil pollution in our Naija Delta and how corporations abuse their Powers and neglect their corporate social responsibilities.
    Before I left him, he of course, wanted to know what I do for a living and what I was doing in a cold country of his. To cut the long story short, this man turned out to the the VP of one of the top Tech Companies. And for three yrs, I worked under his LOB until he moved to Silicon Valley while I return home to establish my farm.
    Moral: Opportunities come from unlikely places.
    Good luck Alfred Ajani, at 22, I was still chasing girls at Unilag.

• Bleed Blue

August 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hahahaha! Chasing girls at Unilag though!

Jokes aside, your story is ace Iyke. Love it! Just for this cooler-than-ice experience you shared, I forgive you all your previous sins….sustainably go and sin no more

• Bliss

August 19, 2014 at 7:12 pm

You just inspired me. May God lead my steps to my destiny helper as he did u IJN.

• POSHILLA!!

August 20, 2014 at 12:32 pm

hahaahahah @ chasin girls in unilag ,u just cracked me up big time

11. PD Young Billionaire

August 19, 2014 at 3:23 pm

@Iyke…wow!!!!

12. Ndubuisi

August 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm

to all you lazy idiot who always complain i can’t get a job let this be a lesson for you. if you want it more than life itself you will get it.

• Trina

August 19, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Ndubuisi, perhaps you need a Tuesday evening hug? Why such rage biko?

13. Lamie

August 19, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Awwww…that’s great. Thank God for him.

14. Ruby

August 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm

So happy for him! I trust thinks will work out. Yes, I have also got a job when I decided to go out on a limb and step out in faith. I was given a note to the D.G of a large Fed Govt parastatal in Abuja but on getting there, the receptionist asked if I had an appointment. When I said No, She said rather rudely that I should go and fix one and then unceremoniously dismissed me as she attended to other people. I had no choice but to go to the ground floor and ponder on my next line of action. I remember I prayed and said ‘God, you did not bring me this far to abandon me’. Just then, Something made me look up and who did I see but the D.G walking slowly towards me! Normally reticent, I just heard Something say , ‘Go! Go! and I summoned the courage and half ran towards him, introducing myself. He looked at the note with me and said I should come with him to his office. As we passed the reception I had just exited a few minutes ago, the receptionist shot up, greeting us. I cheekily told her, ‘We are together’ and sailed past to be interviewed. Needless to say I got the job and ended up working there for 5 years before leaving to set up my own business in Lagos. Faith with works, works! 🙂

• Dunni O

August 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Hi @Ms SA could you please send me an email. [email protected]. Don’t worry it is me not a yahoo account or something. I would like to run something by you please. Thanks

15. Mz Socially Awkward...

August 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

And one of the greatest benefits of him going out on a limb like this with this approach is that he succeeded in bypassing all the usual HR roadblocks and probably caught the direct attention of the actual business line managers, MDs, CEOs etc. of some of the companies he would have been applying to.

No offence to the good folk who work in HR but, damn, e get as una dey maltreat person CV sometimes. I know recruitment is a pain but some of the HR staff I’ve come to know haven’t really convinced me that they know exactly what they’re doing in that area. Issorait, God still manages to make a way. 🙂

16. @edDREAMZ

August 19, 2014 at 4:18 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    What kills a man is pride, if this dude was proud will he have been blessed… Am really happy for him and i pray God give others seeking for job other means to reach there dreamz…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

17. sum1special

August 19, 2014 at 4:38 pm

This guy is so smart, couldn’t have thought f this if i was jobless.

18. Berlinda Azanu

August 19, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thumps up Ajani…many will say “who does this” to me its a bold step in marketing your self!

19. wuthering heights

August 19, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Ladies and gentlemoinmoin and that is what we call marketing ! This is proof that owo no jona ( burn).

20. Omoge Tade

August 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I did similar thing back in naija.After doing more than 30 gmat test with my 2:1.I decided to trace one of the nigerian bank MD..I went to the MD’s church to see his pastor and the pastor even went with me to the MD’S office but we were not able to see the MD but eventually after much persistence,I got the job.Lesson learnt-DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR DREAM,NO MATTER THE OBSTACLES..#BePersistent

• Dee

August 20, 2014 at 9:08 am

30 gmat tests? Your test results are usually valid for a few years 🙂

21. brules

August 19, 2014 at 5:42 pm

hahah tomorrow at downtown I am doing this!!!Enough is enough o

22. Pradacandy

August 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Come to think of it, guys do it every time they think of a new creative way to propose to their girlfriends because some ladies actually say yes to these proposals because of the obvious effort he made to show he cares etc.
    So yes! the end justifies the means as the saying goes.
    Best wishes Alfred, I’m a Coventry alumni too.

23. truthDiva

August 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Figuring out my Naija Version, Where should my Location Be? any Ideas Please ……………………..

• Trina

August 19, 2014 at 6:44 pm

In the face of threats of Ebola and Boko Haram, one must choose said location with extreme caution. Darizall.

• Chike

August 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Ikeja Under bridge. All the best…

• nene

August 19, 2014 at 10:08 pm

lmao. people will mistake you for a crazy person if you try that.

• NaijaPikin

August 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm

As ogas for naija no dey take public transport, you can try Country club/gym, Church, parking lot, restaurant……..Only thing is don’t know how open minded older naija folks are to these type of unconventional approaches. But hey its worth trying out. you never know.

24. Ebere

August 19, 2014 at 6:34 pm

@iyke and RUby,I applaUd yoUr bravery.Mayb I woUld start by pullng my own stUnt here on BN.I am female,I studied accoUntancy and ii realy need a Job.I realy woldnt mind the location.contact me for my resume:[email protected]

• M.Ade

August 19, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I advise you change your email address to a more professional one.

• Ololajulo

August 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Why couldn’t you take time to spellcheck your job search comment? Love, this kind of sloppiness is why some don’t get callbacks..please sit up. Tough love.

• Ololajulo

August 19, 2014 at 9:57 pm

And cutearies as an email address.. You are very unserious…

25. Thatgidigirl

August 19, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Canary wharf here I come with my placard

26. pat

August 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm

@truthdiva…..try Zambiza forest…lol!

27. Tosin

August 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Respec’

28. nene

August 19, 2014 at 10:07 pm

how sad that people have to resort to this to get a job. i hear the job market is brutal in the UK.

29. Sainttracy

August 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm

While we r at this topic, Bella naija, it will be a great idea to have a page where ur followers can post their cv’s for jobs, n companies can post vacancies. Thank me later, and give me credit for the idea o!

30. Kili

August 20, 2014 at 1:25 am

I salute this guy’s bravery. It is ALWAYS good to think out of the box.

31. Osaro lucky

August 20, 2014 at 3:41 am

Because this format worked for the guy doesn’t mean it will work for you too, we all are born wt different star. If u try to do this in Edo state (my pretty state), i’m sure the next morning u will see your picture on the news Headline saying “numbers of lunatics increases daily in edo state”… Lets device our own means

32. Dee

August 20, 2014 at 9:05 am

That’s why he’s a marketing grad; he’s thinking outside the box. A smart Ad agency would hire him.

33. Thatgidigirl

August 20, 2014 at 9:26 am

nice one…..

34. EBERE

August 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

@Ade and Ololajulo,thanks a lot for your criticism.,I will adhere to the candid advise you two gave me.To correct ololaiulo,i am a very serious minded person and about the email address,for now that is the only email address i have that i could easily access.thank you.

• NaijaPikin

August 20, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Ebere it’s easy to create a new one. try out gmail. With an email like your current one, you are definitely reducing the chances of getting a call back.. If you name is Ebere Okafor, you could try
      [email protected]
      [email protected]

Good luck with your search

35. Grown Woman

August 20, 2014 at 11:50 am

wow so brave of you Alfred, you will definately go places.

36. Koffie

August 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I’ve been taking my CV to church and sending to several people who ask and even those who dont. I’m positive something good will come up soon.
    I’m finishing my Nysc in October and presently job hunting. I have a 2:1 in Accounting and I’m also doing my ACCA exams. Please request for a CV from [email protected] and yes, I have a more professional email address but I’d rather send you a softcopy of my CV via this email. Thanks

37. Koffie

August 21, 2014 at 12:46 pm

And before I forget, thank you @MSA, an old comment of yours on Atoke’s write up detailing tips on attending an interview helped in an interview I went for recently. Thanks, honestly, it was just in time

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 23, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Great stuff and thank God for its usefulness in any form! Really glad to hear you’re attending interviews as well, I know that’s a hurdle in itself to even get called by employers. Praying with you that the Grace of God will bring your own joyful end to this search! xx

38. Hannah

August 21, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Great tip for job hunters

39. Nikki

September 5, 2014 at 10:19 am

Wow!!! This brought tears to my eyes…all the best to this man, he’s definitely a success.