News

Woman shares Horrific Selfie after being Punched in the Face by Man for Telling Him Not to Grope Her

Mary Brandon - August 2014 - BN News - BellaNaija.com 01

This woman’s selfie taken at the Notting Hill Carnival has been shared thousands of times after she was punched in the face for telling a man not to touch her.

In a Facebook post, Mary Brandon, a student at Leeds University, says she was enjoying the west London spectacle on Bank Holiday Monday when she felt a man grab her bum.

She exposes the darker side of the annual party that is “supposed to be about community and good vibes”.  To “get the word out that this isn’t OK” to hit a woman, she posted this image of herself.

Mary Brandon - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

Mary revealed that she had to spend nine hours at the hospital receiving treatment following the alleged assault.

On the incident, Mary said; “A man in the crowd grabbed my arse. When I told him not to he did it again.

I pushed him away, exercising my right to tell a man to stop touching my body without my permission, so he took a swing at me and punched me in the face.”

Mary said that some of her friends had suggested it might be “best not to do anything at all” when a man assaults you sexually.

Her response was that anyone who thinks it is “OK to treat women like this” should stay away from the carnival in the future, adding that “I can honestly say I will always stand up to someone who thinks they can get away with this behaviour. I’d take a punch again from this loser or any other loser who thinks it’s OK to treat women like this.”

The Evening Standard reports that the police is currently investigating the incident.

1. bruno

August 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm

SEXISM. I’m sure that man’s excuse will be “she was scantily dressed” just because a woman is wearing a short dress that doesn’t give u (straight) men the right to grab her body parts.

2. Grown Woman

August 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

OMG what a stupid and coward man, such a pretty girl.I think its safe to be carrying pepper spray for such people and spray some sense in their eyes so that in future they will never attempt to grab more ass mxm

3. Loulou

August 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Wow, what a violent man! And i don’t see anywhere she wrote that anybody helped her punch the scum back, guess he just walked away. Even if she was naked (not justifying nudity), he didn’t have any right at all to touch her, and then he punched her! I trust Naija, dem go treat the idiot mess up no be small. Just like grown woman said, d use of pepper sprays cannot be overemphasized, just ensure he will have problems in his eyes forever, muntula…

4. frostycake

August 27, 2014 at 3:14 pm

That’s sexual harassment, I hate men that lack self control

5. DA

August 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Some men are no better than animals, this sort of person will definitely be assaulting his girlfriend/wife steadily. Creepy idiot

6. Lola

August 28, 2014 at 2:20 am

This happened to me at carnival last year but luckily for me I didn’t get punched . The first incident a man put his hands around my waist and moved closer and I removed his hands and he let me go but he came back a few more times and my response was the same . The second incident was more horrible this man did the same thing but when I pushed him off he held me tighter , I pinched and scratched him and then he grabbed my bum and then he let me go . I didn’t turn around to see his face maybe that’s why he didn’t punch me . Before anyone says o it was probably because the way she was dressed is the reason she was sexually harrased that is not a valid excuse , I wore jeans and a top got groped as well . Behaviour like this is rife at carnival and it needs to stop because it is unacceptable , thank God I didn’t go this year .

7. papermoon

August 28, 2014 at 8:06 am

touching you was wrong. punching you when you complained was like an armed robber who also shoots his victim. that nonsense should not fly anywhere.

Mary take up karate and next time defend yourself thoroughly, possibly go home with one of his balls as a souvenir

8. Stu

February 23, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Was the guy black or white? Feels like they are deliberately avoiding saying the race…the usual PC crap.