Style

BN Beauty: You Glow Girl! 5 Ways to get Your Skin Glowing from Within

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nothing beats a glow! Your skin is illuminated, you feel bright and bold and even when you don’t have makeup on, you’re comfortable enough to head out and still feel 100%.

Today on BN Beauty, we are helping you get that glow. Even though there are many ways to get your skin illuminated and looking like you bathe with gold dust, we will be giving you just 5 ways to give you a beautiful glow the natural way.

1. Go Vegetarian
Whole foods are a great way to get your skin looking great and glowing. When you ingest fruits and vegetables, you get all the essential vitamins you need for your wanted glow. The vitamin A in greens and watermelons help in skin repair; while the vitamin E in nuts, avocado and bell peppers help protect your skin from sun damage. Essential Fatty Acids (Omega-3 and Omega-6) are also very important and can be found in nuts, seeds, prawns and soya beans.

2. Hydrate
You may have rolled your eyes at this but drinking water is still very important to getting great looking skin. The water gives your skin a plump and fresh appearance and it also helps in cell turnover – in other words, it helps your skin in regeneration, getting rid of old skin and birthing new ones.

This is not just about giving yourself a water overdose, but also taking hydrating fruits like watermelon, cucumbers, celery and more.

Also, if you just can’t stand the taste of regular water, you can try infused water. This involves you adding bits of fruits and vegetables to your water to give it a fun and new taste while still getting all the benefits. You can check out our post on infused water here.

3. Say Goodbye to Caffeine & Alcohol

Not all goodbyes feel great, but like breaking up with a bad boyfriend, some are necessary.

Caffeine and alcohol dehydrate the skin which is the opposite of what our aim is today. If you know you can’t say no, then you might want to try limiting your intake or replacing with something less harmful. Don’t worry, you’ll be okay without your caffeine fix.

4. Bid Farewell to Salt & Sugar

I know it seems like we are sentencing you to terrible life right? First your caffeine now your sugar. Just breathe, you’ll thank us for it.

Getting rid of processed sugar and salty foods help give your face a new glow that you’re looking for. If you have too much salt in your system it can lead to water retention which can lead to you feeling bloated, your face looking puffy and giving you a tired look in general. And refined sugars can lead to high blood sugars ultimately leading to inflammation which will irritate your skin.

5. Sync with Zinc

Last but not the least is – you need to get some Zinc.

Zinc helps in the repair of damaged skin and helps keep your skin soft and supple. You can get Zinc from fish, lean red meat, nuts, seeds and shellfish.

These aren’t the only tips out there and we know you may have some great ones to share. So drop them in the comments below.

Photo Credit: Hongqi Zhang (aka Michael Zhang)/Dreamstime

1. mo

September 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

if only i could cut tea… i take nothing less than 4 cups a day!!! God please help me cos i don’t even eat that much. its just my tea not beverages just plain old tea 🙁

• Sandi

September 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm

By tea do you mean Milo? If yes, please cut it out. If no, it’s ok. Drinking teas like green tea, black tea etc is good for you and your skin

• Anon

September 16, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Sandi, please tea is tea. You probably know it as Lipton. LOL! It annoys me when people call Milo tea. Milo is a chocolate drink/beverage.

• AVID BLOG READER

September 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

There is nothing wrong with tea especially green tea. It is rich in antioxidants. Question is are you loading it with sugar and cream? If so, switch to just honey.

• Que

September 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

If you observe the rest, tea wont stop your glow. I cant give up tea if I tried (unless its literally to save my life)…but my glow is d first thing friends notice. Compared to my previous days I’ve cut alcohol, n most recently coffee cos it made me lethargic after a few hrs…. once in a while I steal a cup ….I love fruits already…. just generally approach d list bit by bit n you’ll be fine.

• ChelizRuby.

September 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Plain old tea is good. Come see more tips on my weight loss blog theshapecube.blogspot.com

• Anon

September 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Your intake is fine. The best way to drink it, is decaffeinated tea with honey. No sugar and no milk. If you must drink milk, try skimmed milk, rice milk, almond milk or soy milk. If you must have sugar, make it brown sugar. I once read that drinking tea adds to the amount of water we are meant to drink a day.

Go vegetarian? Why?
      For over a year I tried the healthier option of not eating red meat. It was all turkey, chicken and fish (especially salmon.) I usually do blood tests and the one I did early in the year indicated I was lacking iron (I’m not anaemic,) zinc and vitamin D. My GP asked me when last I ate meat and I said over a year ago. She asked me to go back and start eating red meat at least 3 times a week! I’m back eating oxtail, goat meat, veal, lamb, pork chops and offals.
      Sitting out or strolling in the summer for vitamin D and once the weather changes I will have to take tablets except when I go on vacation to hot places. My last blood test was fine. No alarm bells.

We need all nutrients in moderation. I was told one of the reasons people get cancer is because they don’t have enough nutrients to fight free radicals. “Processed foods generate more free radicals than whole foods and have fewer nutrients to act as free radical scavengers to help protect people from those free radicals.”

2. jennyluv

September 16, 2014 at 3:15 pm

What a great tips am gona try this out

3. precious

September 16, 2014 at 3:16 pm

pls did anybody knw what i can use to remove black spot on my face course by accident, for over 4yrs now i have been using so many things it doesn’t work rather it make it more darker, they advice me to use only cleaner but cleanser is more harsh on my face it make my face lighter and the mark will be so obvious. pls i need ur advice, am chocolate in completion! i always use foundation to cover it up but sometimes i dont feel like making up but i can’t becos is so obvious and if i dont make up pple will start asking me, what happen to ur face? i also have the accident marks on my body but i don’t have prob with those once since is covered with cloth. luking forward to ur respond God bless u all.

• Di

September 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Most black ladies have this issue, you are not alone. Different products work for different people. I’ve tried Ambi, Yes to, Clarins, Lancome, Origins, Clinique and now Boscia. You have to try a couple to know which works best for you, get samples when you are at the mall. The more expensive the better chances of getting good results. To prevent future spots while treating current, after washing your face make sure you use a toner/astringent to thoroughly remove all dirt before applying your spot treatment. Wash off your makeup once you are home.
      Clarins is a recommendable one, try Boscia too.

• MyHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

September 17, 2014 at 2:22 am

I DON’T agree that the more expensive the product, the better the results. Great products are about KEY ingredients. When it comes to Hyperpigmentation I’ve tried more affordable brands like ambi, and it has been great. But when I tried meladerm which was more expensive, it did NOT do anything.

If the dark mark is superficial, exfoliating with a lactic, Glycolic, or mandelic acid will help fade it over time. Using a fade cream will double the efficacy.

However if the dark mark is deeper, you might need to see a dermatologist.

• Di

September 17, 2014 at 2:29 pm

@MyHairmyBeautyNigeria.com,
      I said the better the chances not the better results. There is a high probability getting a lasting result with higher brands, based on my experience. While I was in college, I tried all the Target stores brands, they didn’t fully clear the spots cause after a year, I can see the spots are faded but not gone. Now while I tried the higher brand names, not all worked but the few that worked had a more lasting result. I look at that same spot in a few months and nada. Again, different results for different people. For instance, a Lancome spot moisturizer did nothing for me but my Vietnamese friend swears by it.
      @ the original question, with the brands it depends on where you are located. Also check the brand’s individual website, there are usually sales and good deals.

• girl

September 17, 2014 at 12:08 am

ill advice you try RAW african black soap, not dudu osun oh(too harsh for my face). I got mines of amazon(raw african black soap imported from ghana, something like that sha) I’ve been using it for roughly 2 weeks and my black spots have cleared(didn’t have much though)

• nene

September 17, 2014 at 2:45 am

go to a dermatologist who’ll probably recommend hydroquinone and some chemical peels. many people can’t get rid of dark spots without hydroquinone but you have to stop it once your spots are gone, if not, you just bleach your skin.

• S

September 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

The first and most important thing is to be comfortable in your skin even with the black spots, don’t obsess over them, gentle exfoliation does help though it takes time for the black spots to fade they will eventually fade. Also I think it would be better if you consulted a dermatologist.

4. AVID BLOG READER

September 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Great points but most Nigerians cannot live without salt and sugar. That would be a tough one to sell.

5. Pat

September 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm

“Go vegetarian” but then u can eat “”fish, lean red meat” Really!!!? Hmmm. Also, Sea salt is ok so one does not have to cut out salt entirely.

6. efe

September 16, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Visited Nestle today on marketing assignment and discovered they now have Water with Zinc( green cap) . Good for all,and best water ever. Great Combo of water and Zinc( 2 together out of the 5 listed items).

7. coco

September 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Stop caffeine, okay. But what do I substitute it with because this article didn’t state that. Caffeine helps me write extra time, a whole lot! If I remove it then there has to be something I’m supplementing with yeah?

• memebaby

September 17, 2014 at 6:26 am

try green tea.

8. Miss Mo

September 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

What about exercise exercise exercise???

• Vivi

September 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

Strength training and cardio , great combination , so like squats , lunges and pushups.

And for the tummy , I do pilates and that got my stomach flat 🙂

9. nene

September 17, 2014 at 2:43 am

minimising my sugar intake did a great deal for my skin and body.

10. sanj

September 17, 2014 at 10:33 am

How can sunburn be treated naturally,cause some skins r very sensitive n using fade out cream might worsen it

• Vivi

September 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

Have you tried using lemons , they are a natural lightening agent and wont damage the skin 🙂

• Anon

September 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Re-lemon. But it could burn the skin especially sensitive skin.

The best thing for sunburn is pure aloe vera gel.

11. Vivi

September 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Eating berries , like strawberries and blueberries as well as kiwi are high in anti oxidants which will help with the skin and good fats such as nuts like almonds and brazil nuts also help as well 🙂

Oh and lemon + water first thing in the morning to help detox the body 🙂

12. BOUQUI

September 17, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Are there drugs that can help reduce excess salt in d body system? I really ve a problem wit that!

• nyinyes

September 18, 2014 at 4:31 am

Yes they r called diuretics but u need a prescription n follow up while on them, bcos of side effect.