News

Ebola: Doctors Oppose September 22nd Schools’ Resumption Date

BellaNaija.com

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????The Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) is opposing the federal government’s decision to move schools’ resumption date from October 12th to September 22nd.

You will recall that last month, the Federal Government had ordered that all primary and secondary schools in the country should resume in October, instead of the usual September resumption, due to the current Ebola outbreak in the country.

However, last week,  the government made a new announcement, stating that schools should resume on September 22nd due to the fact that “Nigeria has achieved about 90 percent success in the fight against the dreaded Ebola virus disease.”

The NMA is opposing the decision to restore the September 22nd date, because they believe that schools should stay shut until all those under surveillance for Ebola are certified Ebola-free.

“We are not happy with this decision on the resumption of schools. Schools should be shut till the last suspected case or patient is certified free of the virus,” the NMA said via a statement.

The association is suggesting that schools should not resume until December, or maybe even early next year because “…if Ebola should spread to any school, it will assume another dimension.”

Photo Credit: Michaeljung/Dreamstime.com

1. kim

September 9, 2014 at 11:42 am

I AGREE. Children are not as careful as adults.

• Omo1

September 9, 2014 at 11:50 am

School children are most vulnerable..only problem is the school curriculum will suffer some setbacks

2. oge

September 9, 2014 at 11:55 am

To be honest im scared to allow my children return to school come 22nd sept. Im in total support of this NMA stand. We need healthy children to learn not sick and dying children. Even if next year its better to be safe than sorry.

3. Adima

September 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Why is federal Government always taking decision that will not benefit the masses? This is a simple case,we ain’t talkin about politics rather a critical issue involving lives.please value the life of ur people and that shld be ur watchward.respect the dicision of NMA for once.

4. sueplus

September 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I’m in total solidarity with the doctors stance! Its better late than never for any child.. Let’s avert such disasters now than be sorry later.

5. seun

September 9, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I totally agree with the doctors! Schools should not resume till all cases are cleared abeg.

6. Annie

September 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I am with the doctors on this, please folks, keep your children at home until we are all sure the ebola virus has been contained!

7. osan

September 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm

After the last known case is discharged & certified free from Ebola, I reckon we wait for another 30 days. Just in case there is another ‘Dr Enemuo’ some where who isn’t thinking of the overall health of us all. I had rather we err on an abundance of caution.

8. Pat

September 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I just don’t understand the rush. For me, no school till am well convinced that the scourge is over.

9. Debra

September 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I support NMA on this; Schools are not supposed to re- open until we are very sure abeg. Ebola is no child’s play at all

10. chioma ezeogu

September 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

For the sake of good living yes! But for the setback no pls let’s hav faith and be courageious too if God says no who NO who’s ebola to say YES for me my faith is built strong pls my fellow nigerians let’s stand strong!

• bunmi

September 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm

@chioma pls do you have kids

• Akwanwa

September 9, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Obviously 1) you don’t have kids or your kids are grown 2) you work with the private sector or you are a proprietress 3) you don’t have common sense, hw can setback in curriculum be more important than life. Just one child can pass it to everybody in a school, I keep telling my kids to neva allow pple to carry dem, don’t shake oany uncle or auntys hand ɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣d̶̲̥̅̊ as soon as I finish saying it you will see dem jumping on pple, if a child dats infected urinates on a bed while sleeping in class with other kids on the same bed, pls wat happens are you going to use sanitizer or bleach to bath the other kids, adults can be very careful but not kids, schools shud remain closed till January

• Iris

September 9, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Comments like this just infuriate me and it is this kind of thing that makes people doubt God exists. So all the people in nigeria who have ebola nko? God forgot to say ‘no’ to them? Let me tell you what God is saying just in case you think you’re the only one with a direct line to heaven: ‘when the devil tempted my Son in the wilderness to jump from a mountain and prove the existence of my angels who would catch him, my Son refused even though he knew angels would come for him. I have given you a brain to use in times of trouble. You see a deadly disease, keep your kids at home and do not be foolish in the name of proving my existence. I did not ask you to prove jack so if you send them, O.Y.O is your portion’ *hiss*

• someone

September 9, 2014 at 10:06 pm

What set back? Shebi the people who have died did not have faith Abi? What is 2 months (or even a year’s) educational set back compared to your child’s life? Let’s set our priorities right for once.

• Debra

September 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

My dear Chioma, Heaven helps those who help themselves

11. NIRA

September 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I can understand where the doctors are coming from, but I disagree with them. I am a mother, however I am very happy and impressed with the way the Health Minister and other health officials have handled the Ebola issue in Nigeria. If you know about the virus and way it is contacted, you’d understand why it has been health officials and relatives of sick patients that contact the disease. Nigeria has had a huge success rate in fighting the outbreak, and I strongly believe they have it contained already.This is the same NMA that refused to call off their strike despite the outbreak, and a lot of hospitals still refuse to treat anyone with fever, diarrhoea or any Ebola-related symptoms. They tell us to encourage sick ppl to go to the hospitals but when you get there the doctors and nurses treat you like sh*t. Has anyone thought of the fact that they might just be a bunch of scared and lazy doctors who do not want to work?

• dr cee

September 9, 2014 at 1:15 pm

No we are not lazy or scared, we are not afraid of “the work” we do it in your best interest. Kids are more vulnerable than adults, they touch everything, put it in their mouths, share cups and sweets without care. If one Ebola infected child should walk into a classroom at the end of the day more or less than 50% of that ckass woul have had contact with the child. These children would then go home and havce further contact with siblings, parents, househelps, drivers etc and before you know it we’be got an outbreak on our hands …… and you and I know that Nigerian hospitals are far from equipped to handle an Ebola outbreak. So please my dear ‘mom’. Think again.

• dr cee

September 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Autocorrect tho *sigh*

• NIRA

September 9, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Dr. Cee, if you say the hospitals are not equipped to handle Ebola, where have they been treating the patients? Almost all the states have mapped out a treatment centre IN CASE it comes to their state. Is that not a good sign of preparedness? I am more worried about my child getting common cold, cough, which is more common in school than Ebola which is being contained by the Govt. and health officials. Why won’t NMA support the health ministry and contain this once and for all instead of advocating for schools to remain closed?For how long will the schools be closed? Till Ebola is gone completely? Till they get a vaccine? What happens if after this outbreak, we detect another victim somewhere in the country? We close the schools again??

• ak

September 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm

They are talking about the health and safety of your kids. Don’t you realize that these are medical professionals? They went to school for that stuff.

Heck, they say even after symptoms of a disease have gone, you should still continue taking the drug for as long as prescribed.

Doctors are prescribing that we wait until the last case is certified Ebola free- and then some.

Do you not understand? What if that last case comes into contact with a relative of a friend whose friend is the teacher in your child’s school? Maybe then you will put things in perspective

You are busy castigating them for going on strike? Like Priorities?

• ak

September 9, 2014 at 1:28 pm

The kids of these FG officials advocating that they move resumption dates forward- do they go to your school?

Their own kids are in London and America far away from Ebola,

And here you are,

• Osan

September 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Thank you, these doctors have kids you know!

• Tiki

September 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Please, send your children to school in Sierra Leone. Or Liberia. I hear a few schools are still open there.

• Iris

September 9, 2014 at 9:16 pm

The Nigerian government may be handling it fairly well but can you speak for the everyday nigerian? A diplomat and a doctor made a terrible choice and as a result took ebola to Port Harcourt. You don’t know who may knowingly send their sick child to school without getting them tested because ‘in Jesus’ name it can never be ebola.’ If that happens, even if the federal govt acts fast you will have hundreds of children in quarantine. Is that what you as a mother want for your children?

12. cleo

September 9, 2014 at 1:46 pm

School owners are mostly behind the sudden decision by the government. Only thinking about the money they will make from school fees. its not like we will not pay but my kid’s health comes first.

13. chinelo okonkwo

September 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Pls, I suggest d federal govt should shut all schools for now til we r convinced dat d Ebola virus r cleared. Its for our own betterment.

14. Bummite

September 9, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I stand with the NMA on this and I think it’s illiterate of our educationist not to get a go-ahead from NMA before insisting on their stance. There should be on change.org.

15. @edDREAMZ

September 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Goverment should pls shut every school for nw abeg…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

16. chioma ezeogu

September 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

@bunmi am a teacher and someone who’s faith is built strongly in christ @Nira dear it was those same doctors that refuses to work I guess they are scared and lazy to work @we all plz let’s not be too forward to judge the FG they are doing their job let us be strong and hav faith it was our been too much scared of ebola that made a little girl cameout with the rumor of bathing and drinking salt water which we all did out of the ebola fear plss ooooooo let’s stand firm the FG is trying in fighting this outbreak am out of here………………..

• tbn

September 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

This your english and the way you put your sentences together is something else, especially as you say you’re a teacher. No wonder children go to school and can barely write or speak good english!
      I would prefer that the schools remain closed until we are sure that the virus has been completely contained. We don’t need a situation where our kids would go and catch the virus in school.

• hmmm

September 10, 2014 at 7:13 am

” it was our been too much scared of ebola that made a little girl cameout with the rumor of bathing and drinking salt water which we all did” – please speak for yourself. The fact that you believed and went ahead to bathe in salt water (assumption made from your statement) clearly shows how smart you are. Shutting the schools does not mean lack of faith in Christ, it simply shows the use of God given wisdom.

17. adekemi

September 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I support NMA on this. if a child should catch ebola, every child in that school will and every family member of the child will invariably catch it. The child will definitely be cared for by the parent or guardian so transfer risk is even higher in children. School owners are just been selfish and greedy. I hope the FG will arise.

18. Uju

September 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Ignorance is truly bliss in Nigeria.
    How can a whole federal government be talking about 90% success rate in fighting ebola??!!

When it come to ebola, even 99.99% is not good enough. You need to get rid of every SINGLE case .

Like I said before, ignorance is truly bliss in this country……say the truth and you re labelled the enemy.

19. minka

September 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Exactly!!! Children are the easiest way of spreading transmittable diseases cos they are young and cant take certain sanitary precautions. One kid can cause an outbreak in a school and even take it back home to his parents who will then spread it at their work places. It would be stupid of the government to open schools when this fast-killing virus is yet to be contained. Curriculum will be affected but is formal education really more important than safety? All the strike that has occured over the years, have they not affected curriculum as well? All schools should be put on hold till a vaccine for ebola is manufactured. Yes, vaccine, I’m not talking about cure. We need to immunize kids from it before we put them out there and endanger the little darlings.

• i no send

September 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm

toh

20. ZEEALS

September 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm

This chioma gurl, you speak like an illiterate. If truly u’re a teacher then am sorry for the kids you lecture. Where’s your sense of responsibility? Please shut your mouth let people with reasoning speak. Cos itz obvious that it’s the thought of your monthly salary thatz speaking. Go get pregnant, carry that child for nine months, and go through the pains of labour let’s see if u’ll be borrowed some ako na uche.
    As far as am concerned, no schs should be opened till EVD is fully contained. If the govt won’t live up to their responsibiities, parents should. You can only study when you are healthy and alive. Am begining to loose my patience with GEJ.

21. hafsat

September 9, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I am also in support of NMA,children wil always be children,parents or guardian wil not be in school with them to monitor them,staying at home is the best,Nigerians let’s all keep praying and hope that ebola wil be out of our dear country,

22. Tbaby

September 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm

As for me, come sept 22nd, my kid won’t resume school. If govt likes like them postpone resumption, if they, they shouldn’t. But I won’t allow my child go to school., cos I don’t understand a situation whereby some people are still under surveillance n there are still one or two cases of Ebola here in Lagos n @PH, yet they want children back to school.? October was even a bit pleasant so one can ascertain how the whole thing goes, but for the FG to bring back resumption to sept 22nd??? It’s alarming.

23. Ebenezer O. M

September 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hmmmmm why the sudden reversal of the resumption date? Something fishy is going on! My the Lord protect His own.

24. @jac_temzy

September 9, 2014 at 7:46 pm

The best thing I xpect d govt to do is dat they shld give some skul ebola detecting machines til d drugs is out instead of shuttin down skul I heard a trainin is goin on wit d teacher how to handle a ebola patient pls #nigeria medical association nd govt we`re tired sittin home we d student shuttin down d skul is nt d solution
    I knw u all re tryn to protect ourvlives

25. lilly

September 9, 2014 at 9:33 pm

For all the fools insulting and attacking poor chioma for her contribution u guys are foolish as u think she is,she just said wats on her mind It dose not call for the insults habaaaa na wa for some idiots oooo then if u think ur wiser than her why do u insult her here ppl wey sabi may God mercy for una

26. ify

September 9, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I was shocked to hear d change of resumption date to 22nd september,pls who will help us tell dis government that they should take it to january,have been so worried 4 kids especially d last who is in playclass,you guys talk as if Ebola is just headache that u take paracetamol,is it not somebody that is alive that goes to school.

27. Paul

September 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Nira and Choima if u have kids and they read what u are writing here, sure they’ll know how much u love them. Was it not at the very time the Fed Govt announced that only one case of Ebola was remaining in Nigeria that the Port Harbour outbreak came? Will u rather politicians tell u when it’s safe than Medical doctors?! Haba!

28. Joy J

September 10, 2014 at 10:01 am

@Nira am not sure u re a mother,coz if truly u re,u cannot say what u just said.i totally agree with NMA.even the Bible says data wisdom is profitable to direct.please God may our case not be like that of Liberia,.I am a practicing christian,and all we need now is wisdom..let us not risk d lives of our Lil ones coz of our [email protected] all school [email protected] pls u can teach ur kids @ home.children shud still be @ home,until we re sure we re Ebola free country that’s my take on dis.

• NIRA

September 10, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I don’t know what you feel I’ve to achieve by saying I am a mother if I am not. You are yet to intelligently answer my questions?? For how long should the schools remain closed? what happens if we get another case after the current ones have been treated??

29. abg

September 10, 2014 at 11:14 am

May GOD in HIS infinite mercies guide us always. Our children are our asset – d future leaders who will take over from where we stopped – let us always be mindful of them.

30. Dotty

September 10, 2014 at 2:35 pm

nwa teacher de nwa teacher! anaemenu! your students don already dey set back with your command of english and okuko brain! mtchewwwww…chere ma agafe jor….

31. Courage B

September 10, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I think our primary concern health first and human life which is the ultimate. Without life nothing can go on because even the school children are the living. The change in the school curriculum to me is secondary, it can be delayed instead of loosing lives. FG should please adhere to NMA advise.

32. samy K

September 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm

U ppl knw very wel dat 0ur c0untry is s0 c0rrupt, the F.G is thinking ab0ut d m0ney wit0ut minding the lives 0f the less previllage, their children are abr0ad, s0 dey neva mind ab0ut any b0dy, n 2 d0se sup0rtin d F.G u ppl ar insensitive, if u r talking abt ur child stayin at h0me 4 lng is irritating, u den get him/her sumb0dy dat wil be handling him/her/dem 4 less0ns at h0me instead 0f sayin skuls shld resume, I am in full surp0rt wit d NMA, bec0s preventi0n is beta dan cure, if a child catch Eb0la 4rm skul 2 h0me, n0 1 wil be saved including u d parents, let’s tink wisely b4 c0ncluding, 2 be f0re warned is 2 be f0re armed. And if ur child is b0rn 2 be bright, n0tin wil change him/her, but if ur child is b0rn 2 be dull d0n’t blame any b0dy, c0s if u r 2 sheet white sheet even if u drink 20 jars 0f red 0il it w0n’t change d sheet 2 red.

33. GEORGIES

September 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm

ONLY THE HEALTHY AND THE LIVING CAN LEARN. THOSE THAT HAVE FINISHED ARE STILL SEARCHING FOR JOB. WHY THE HASTE.

34. Bulaun joshua

September 18, 2014 at 1:23 am

All of u dat re saying rubish abt respectin de NMA dcision, ur heads are up side dwn. Com to tink of it, why shuld de FG shut dwn skuls while oda public gatherings like church, mosque, market places even banks are activelly functional and none of u even de NMA who call demself scientist are nt tinkin towards dat direction. Pls u guys shuld allow de FG to do her wrk.