Style

Not Just another Supermodel! Oluchi Orlandi Goes Beyond the Runway for Forbes Woman Africa

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

DSC_0870-e1413280725584Supermodel Oluchi Orlandi can easily be described as the model that opened the fashion world to Africa. Oluchi covers the October/November 2014 issue of Forbes Woman Africa and the magazine rightly tags her “The Supermodel Taking African Fashion to the World”.

We shared the cover picture a few days ago (Read it up here) and now BN has got more inside pages to share with our readers, as well as a video interview of Oluchi as she chats with Forbes Africa.

For the editorial spread Oluchi wears lovely pieces from Nigerian brands like Deola Sagoe, Mai Atafo, Ituen Basi, Re Bahia and more.

DSC_0783-2-e1413280665647 Page3 Page4 Page5

Oluchi talks to Forbes Africa about what it takes to be much more than a supermodel. From the streets of Lagos, playing ping- pong with boys as a child, to the cut-throat world of fashion in New York, this six-foot supermodel-entrepreneur has come a long way – and has returned on a mission to give back to the industry she got so much from.

Watch the video below!

Photo Credit:
Platform: Forbes Woman Africa
Creative Director / Interviewer: Abisola Owolawi
Photography: Kelechi Amadi Obi
Styling: The Style HQ
Hair: Dfalana Artistry
Makeup: MAC Cosmetics
Cover outfit: Mai Atafo

1. bruno

October 20, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I live for oluchi.

• Oy

October 21, 2014 at 10:03 am

Olori gbeske, why wont you live for her, you better live for God.
      mcheewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

2. chee

October 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Nice feature. but lets be honest is Oluchi really here to give back or she is only back in Africa to try and resuscitate her career that is dead in the USA. Alot of models that look up to her have complained about her being saucy and very unaprochable. Kudos to her though for getting on Forbes and to her strong PR team that are making all these possible. But please Oluchi truly help out from your heart, not what you stand to gain… BN trust yall not to post this…

• nene

October 20, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Gbam

• JT

October 20, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Well said. I completely agree. PCs, on to the next jare saucy madman!

• Cecilia

November 22, 2014 at 8:57 am

@ chee:
      Well so what if she is back in Africa to do whatever pleases her? How does it affect you? Life is short you know. So focus on own yourself and be known for something rather than running successful people down.

3. tope

October 20, 2014 at 3:38 pm

In the third picture Oluchi says to stop idolising the west but that’s exactly what she does with that terribly forced un- phoneh accent of hers.

• nene

October 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm

that accent is terrible. same with agbani’s accent which is actually worse than oluchi’s.

• Shao

October 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Her accent sounds perfect, polished and 100% Nigerian. If you have mingled with other nationals and you have made an effort to speak and be understood, in time your accent regardless of where you r from begins to clear up. By clear up I mean you become more understandable to other people and not just to your people.

I can say this for all my foreign friends even my Indian or Canadian friends whose accents were strong now sound clearer, why? because they made efforts to be understood and that slowly became part of their tongue.

I don’t hear any fake accent, I hear a clear, slowly spoken Nigerian accent from a literate woman.

• Wale

October 20, 2014 at 10:29 pm

There is nothing wrong with her accent and her delivery. In fact, I was quite surprised, she is very articulate and seems polished. Now can you compare her with genny? No way. I enjoyed listening to Oluchi.

• xena

October 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Na wa for naija people always concentrating on ppl’s accent not what they say.please this needs to stop.How are ppl going to be themselves doing interviews when they know their accent is going to be a problem for many listeners.

• MJ

October 24, 2014 at 11:42 am

Some Nigerians and accent issues shaa!! I remember the day I heard her speak during Africa’s Next Top Model, she sounded as Nigerian as anyone can be with a slight foreign tone which my dear friends might just be Italian.

I mean her hubby is Italian and based there with the kids how won’t she have a slight accent. I have a friend who has lived in Germany and France and I kid you not, I didn’t even know he was Nigerian. His accent is all sorts of blend (sexy though) 😉 So pls allow Oluchi.

4. Jojo

October 20, 2014 at 3:45 pm

she looks fierce in that Ituen Basi outfit. Congrats on recognition of your hard work and much luck in the future

• Tosin

October 20, 2014 at 6:34 pm

The amazing Ituen Basi + Victor Ehikhamenor collabo.
      I also loved one Ituen Basi shoot with all sorts of short wrappers.
      She’s the best.

5. Just me

October 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I guess you never know people until you meet them. I thought she was a very grounded person. Reading that she’s not, hmmmm…..I still admire her.

6. AVID BLOG READER

October 20, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Her story still gives me goose bumps. truly grass to Grace!

7. Kiki

October 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with her accent, she speaks very polish and clear english… For goodness sakes, she has lived in the US for close to 10 yrs or even more, so do you expect her to still speak like a street hawker. People should stop this criticism of how she speaks.

8. ada

October 20, 2014 at 7:29 pm

yes o @aAvid Blog Reader . her story does! from selling Agege bread to winning Mnet face of africa. Diariss God o

9. benny

October 21, 2014 at 6:52 am

As far as modelling is concerned, oluchi just doesn’t do it for me. She isn’t fierce. Liya Kibede didn’t win the competition but she is still Very relevant. Even the accent u ppl are talking about sounds slow and dull. I just don’t get it

10. Feirooz

October 21, 2014 at 6:56 am

She totally deserves this.

11. MOI

October 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

KAI! HER ACCENT IS FAKE JOOR

12. Goodness

October 22, 2014 at 9:35 am

I love her! I admire her

13. Isa

November 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

when she says selling was her idea it sounds like she is trying hard to convince……….hmm

14. samoj

November 26, 2014 at 8:18 am

Sister God gave you all. Time to focus back, more to God. You can never pleased the world..just vanity. He Loves you, most of us love your entire family