Relationships

Cory Hardrict Reveals He Met Wife, Tia Mowry, When He was Broke – She Picked Him Up at a Bus Stop & the Rest is History!

BellaNaija.com

The Weinstein Company & Netflix's 2015 Golden Globes After Party Presented By FIJI Water, Lexus, Laura Mercier And Marie Claire - Inside

Tia Mowry-Hardrict & Cory Hardrict in January, 2015

This is an inspiring love story with great and humble beginnings!

A lot of 90s kids grew up with Tia & Tamera Mowry. The identical twins had a major comedy series, Sister, Sister that shot them into the spotlight at an early stage in their lives and careers.

Now the sisters are ‘all grown up’, married mothers still working hard as actresses in Hollywood.

The sisters are also well-known for their marriages, especially because of their reality show, Tia & Tamera that documented their pregnancies and more.

Recently, Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s husband and fellow actor Cory Hardrict, who starred in acclaimed movie, American Sniper shared the touching story of how him and his wife met, as well as his less than fortunate circumstances at the time.

Tia, 22 at the time & her twin Tamera picked Cory up from a bus stop one random day. They became friends, then dated for 6 years before they got engaged, and the rest is now history!

Annie Duke & Don Cheadle's Darfur Relief Poker Tournament - Arrivals

Tia & Cory in May 2008, a Month After Their Wedding

The actor, who had previously held odd jobs like being a security guard working the “graveyard shift” at mega supermarket Kmart, talked about how him and his wife met and their journey to marriage in a recent interview on Global Grind,

“I was waiting on a bus stop, after I shot my first film. Her sister and her drove by, they saw me waiting and asked to give me a ride. I was embarrassed. I was downtown. They gave me a ride and we were friends ever since. They took me to Inglewood, so that’s how that relationship started. We were friends, we started dating and it just went from there.”

“I had odd jobs. I worked at K-Mart during the graveyard shift doing security. I was just grinding, I met my wife during those days and she was with me when she was coming out of Sister, Sister. They had everything, man and I didn’t have anything. I had a studio apartment, sleeping in the corner with no furniture for almost two years.”

On how he presented himself, he said, “I think it was what my wife saw in me. She saw an honest man who had a dream. I just had a vision. I didn’t come in selling no games. Cats gotta front and be like they somebody when they not, and that’s not me. I roll alone. You born alone, you die alone. I feel like a man can just hold his own and be a man. I don’t have to play games with anybody and she respected that.”

Watch the interview below!

Interview Source: Global Grind

Photo Credit: John M. Heller & Rich Polk/Getty Images

1. Oreos

February 19, 2015 at 6:49 pm

****cue in the Nigerian Girls have you heard, she loved him when he had nothing debate*****
    Ready with my popcorn and wine

• hummmmm

February 19, 2015 at 8:03 pm

hahahhaahah maybe she is not fine and the guy is handsome .. finish then a Nigeria girl can stay even the ugly ones to would not stay nowadays

• mia

February 19, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Yeah she was 22 and he was 21 I think. Nigerian men at 30, with no job no money will be selling false dreams and expect the same thing *RME*

• MOSIWOMEKA

February 19, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Cory is very funny, and a fine boy at that… Sorry, man.

Worrying won’t stop bad things from happening, it will only stop good from being enjoyed. Have a care free attitude,Whatever happens, happen!

@Mosi_Tash_Jazzy

• hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 19, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Even if a Nigerian girl does the same thing which a lot do, how many Nigerian men will return the favor with faithfulness ?

• ty

February 20, 2015 at 9:26 am

i dont comment on blogs but this is the most sensible comment iv read on any blog in a very long while.

• me

February 20, 2015 at 9:37 am

A broke man in his 30s is a no no. And not every working guy in his 30s is a yes. Some of them would even borrow money from you. Kai men, you are not dating a woman yet and you are collecting money from her. Some of una no de shame

• Francine Ray

February 20, 2015 at 10:09 am

Really????? A broke guy in his 30’s who ends up becoming Kevin Hart or Tyler Perry in their Late 30’s and 40’s………still a no no? ………. I bet you’ll be singing a different tune then.
      P’s : No ‘made’ man should end up with the likes of you because your judgement of a man’s wallet overshadows the true essence of the man himself.

• Annalise

February 21, 2015 at 4:12 am

You can say that again! Some will even tell stories to gain sympathy and your non-existing cash.

2. Scared homosapien

February 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Someone now will be inspired by this and decide to pick a stranded man on the streets, not knowing she has picked up the devil’s secretary. Kai…I’m just a pessimist.
    Nice story, though.

• devil will wait for you

February 19, 2015 at 7:18 pm

As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he
      If you think you will pick a devil, even if there is no devil around, the real devil will manufacture one to wait for you.

silly babes be thinking life revolves all around them and they are saints
      mtchew

• tish

February 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Why are you so angry at the world? She just aired her views. See the name you used sef. Whoa! Chill she won’t pick u.

• Scared homosapien

February 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Calm down jor. Are you the devil’s secretary I was talking about? Then, why are you ‘paraing’ for my own opinion?
      I’m not picking any man on the street. You can have them all biko.

• o mase o

February 20, 2015 at 7:14 am

Come on, meshonu,we need nt go far,cnt u see an example frm tuface and annie,how she struggled with him nd after marriage,hez still kissing pero or watever foolish name shez got

• paloma

February 20, 2015 at 9:09 am

LMAO

• Tunrayo

February 22, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Hmnn these two people, watch it o. This is social media (can’t see each other). It is just possible that both of you could find yourselves tying the knot. 5years into the marriage you are gisting and one of you says I remember replying a pessimist on Bella Niger, I really disagreed with that girl’s comment and thought she was so silly. Hmnn, the girl remains quiet knowing it was her. She confesses after one week. Both of you understand the fact that there is a God and a devil, both of you are confident enough to express your views. That’s how one man kept criticizing a lady, they were always at logger heads. Today the man calls her honey. It is well o.

• Tee

February 19, 2015 at 7:27 pm

…rotflmao your comment tho lool

• coded tins

February 19, 2015 at 8:56 pm

my one and only Tee, I see you
      🙂

• faith

February 19, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Loool… nice reply.. got me tearing up abit. I believe that most events in our life that happens to us may seem random but I know that they’re orchestrated by God.
      Humble beginnings that doesn’t apply to everyone..

• Bella

February 20, 2015 at 10:07 am

Your comment had me LOL, fear no be small ting o. These wicked last days sha, you pick up a Boko Haram member then what? I hear you!

3. i no send

February 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm

..shout out to people who still believe in dreams ,potential and honest work ………and those who don’t…hehehe

• I see

February 19, 2015 at 7:22 pm

those who believe in dreams get hooked
      while
      those who believe in the now and what they can see get stucked for life

i no send too!

4. Easy n Gentle

February 19, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I think Tia chose right, watched the interview. He’s a cool guy. I hope he goes far

5. miss Pynk

February 19, 2015 at 7:24 pm

It works in America. God forbid divorce she gets something. Dont go picking up Nigerian men at bus stops oh, they can and have been know to leave their wives for chain smoking side chics. And they wont take care of those kids they had with you.

• ONO

February 23, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Aaaaaaaaand, the ‘chain smoking’ comment makes it worse, right? You do realise there are more than a few ‘good, christian’ wives that smoke on the downlow? Only in Nigeria will smoking be synonymous with prostitution or heroin.

6. chi-e-z

February 19, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I’d pick his fine self up to if I had a car :D… I like that he is a Normal person. emphasis on normal actors/actress no matter the country or industry usually aren’t normal like usually in themselves or space.

7. Drknite

February 19, 2015 at 7:35 pm

I running to the Bus Stop right know. Please Lawd, have a fine girl like Tia pick me up and be my suga mama.

8. Tolu

February 19, 2015 at 7:35 pm

God gives wisdom to man if he does ask. (James 1:5) Different faces.Different stories. Some people meet them rich like Ruth in the Bible who had a tragic past and married Boaz, an extremely wealthy man others meet them poor. The prayer should be ‘God give me wisdom to choose right always’

• Tobi

February 19, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Abi Nelson Mandela suffer sote before becoming president, Obama suffer small. Goodluck no suffer. Everybody get story. Yet all of them na President. Don’t always thing another person’s story will be yours. Seek God personally.

9. EllesarisEllendil

February 19, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Fine Boy benefits.
    Unless you all think she would have picked him up if he looked like Mr Ibu??

• mr ibu

February 20, 2015 at 1:55 am

This got me in stitches looool

10. Ftm

February 19, 2015 at 7:46 pm

“I roll alone. You born alone, you die alone” full ratings #nuffsaid

11. O

February 19, 2015 at 7:50 pm

There are good people always….

12. Emy

February 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm

But this dude though, he seems real., but he also seems sad, like he has alot on his mind. I dont know…

• Bella

February 20, 2015 at 10:09 am

I cant help but feel that also every time I see him. I think its comes from this statements as well, am sure his past was not always rosy. “I roll alone. You born alone, you die alone. I feel like a man can just hold his own and be a man. I don’t have to play games with anybody and she respected that.”…

13. not all

February 19, 2015 at 9:52 pm

please don’t enter one-chance because of this interview.most Nigerian men are ungrateful and they will forget all about the woman that helped them when they start seeing small naira here and there.most of them are lazy too

14. chi-e-z

February 19, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I keep watching this interview. This guy is so real, serious,CHI-town made, really sad about his brother. Chi- town guys always have a serious guy swag. I’m sure he wish he could’ve gotten brother out of that life. Life just makes you changed perspective after you lose a close sibling. You just need to live with purpose after that.

15. ms.b

February 19, 2015 at 10:24 pm

How do we knw gals don’t do ds in naija already? My frnd gave a guy a ride from d supermarket (like supermarket bus stop, cos he came to shop n was waiting for a bike or bus) and der started dating, tho she Ddnt end up getting married to him, but he was really a nice guy n he was also doing well, he ddnt cum out wt hs car dat day. She just helped a brother, so yes, sum nigerian gals do it n not all naija guys r Bad, we have real cool n sensible brothers. I also knw a gal who was taking care of her bf and when he finally made money, he bot her a car 1st and kept going on public transport, der r married now and he appreciates her ALOT! Sum guys just have sense and really know a good when der meet her, and wud do anything to keep her.

16. ms.b

February 19, 2015 at 10:28 pm

As alicia keys said “A real man knows a real woman when he sees her, and a REAL man just can’t deny a woman’s worth”. This real man might be broke or bouyant, but in whatever state, let’s know how to recognise a REAL MAN in Jesus name.

17. Tutu

February 19, 2015 at 10:57 pm

The guy sef na actor now. He was seen after he shot his first film so he wasn’t just there, looked like he had a future.

18. nnenne

February 19, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Most Nigerian men will return the favor with unfaithfulness. Most, not all, will develop amnesia because they are polygamous by nature.

• MC

February 20, 2015 at 11:42 am

It’s only Nigerian men that are polygamous by nature though,
      I dont hear this anywhere else.

19. ALUMA

February 19, 2015 at 11:56 pm

The rate at which married sleep with this girls, and give them money, has made girls not want to stop sleeping with married men

What the regular naija babes do is to keep sleeping with married men, politicians, businessmen between 21 and 27 years, when they get to 26 or 27 they start looking for a guy to marry, and the end of the day majority end up just getting married for marriage sake, they will continue to cheat in marriage, or end up getting married to someone that is not even as good as the boyfriends or toasters the rejected when they were 23 years….women actually need to know they don’t have luxury of time…..

In our father days, they married many wives, so the surplus women had men for them, but now with continue increase in one man ! One wife…there are surplus women looking for husband…so a smart girl should marry when the toasters are much….because beautiful girls are growing up daily…you need to come to Lagos too many beautiful girls every day….

20. Fearsome

February 19, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Life is too hard in Nigeria ….I used to blame the girls before…but now I don’t blame them again

Listen there no social welfare in Nigeria , some girls don’t even have money to buy pad to wear in Nigeria during their period…some university girls still use tissue paper….I heard of a story were a girl when on a date with a guy to a restaurant , and after the meal, she tried loading tissue ( serviet paper) in her bag, and she was caught

21. Mister

February 20, 2015 at 12:14 am

The truth is that men already knows the secret that the new confidence is Money aka kudi,

Gone are the days when men sit down to chase girls, we don’t bother anymore, just make your money, women will come…that is why we don’t respect women….I remember when we used to open car doors for women…it won’t happen again…whether you open doors or not, if you don’t have money they won’t date you…so what is the point of respecting them , when you know it’s simply because of money they are dating u…it’s very bad now…many women are crying daily in the matrimonial homes, because the men don’t even have time for them

As am talking to you now, I have a neighbour wife in VGC , that is quietly sleeping with my housemate, when the husband drives off…she quietly sneak into our apartment, …..I feel very bad whenever I see her in the apartment…I have told my flatmate that he his bring a curse to our flat…I have even threatened my housemate that I will confront the lady and insult her

The women is too pretty, she has a very pretty daughter…when I see the husband driving his Bmw X6 out I feel very bad, …my friend is always excited when the husband drives out….she has given my friend over 2 million in the last 2 month alone…..

I used to hear adultery, I never knew it was this real….may god help us o….my friend sleeps with her nothing less than 4 times a week..even more than the husband….

• Abeeeeeee

February 20, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Are you people seeing this………… sips tea

• Tumi

February 23, 2015 at 4:51 am

Very sad story. I just hope the woman is normal spiritually and that’s because some women use young men for whatever even when their husbands satisfy them. I like your thinking and your values are intact. Yes, your friend is laying grounds for huge curses.

22. Tunde

February 20, 2015 at 12:29 am

There are still some very few good women in Nigeria , but the materialistic ones are like 96 percent….I don’t understand why some men can’t spot them..

If you see a jobless girl, with bags worth 1k dollars, please kindly walk away..she is a liability…..u will enter one chance….these same girls have brothers at home , that can’t even afford recharge cards, yet the spend millions to visit Dubai and post on Instagram page……we are living a very dangerous lifestyle…this generation is heading for serious doom if we don’t retrace our steps….

The reason why many men are still tenants is simply because the women they married are more sophisticated that them ….what we men need to understand is that any woman can become pretty when you tush her up…go check Michelle Obama picture in 1998…u will shout wow…lets ignore all dis so called Brazilian hair girls and marry simple girls, that live within their income..if you have the money for Brazilian hair..buy it nothing wrong…but if u are delaying the progress and success of another man because of your selfish behaviour ..please change your ways..men are realising already…that is why men don’t bother trying to impress babes anymore…..

This valentine for example..women spent more money than men…men don’t bother anymore

• Tobi

February 23, 2015 at 5:00 am

GBAM. Tunde has said it, women think again. Men you need the wisdom to know the difference between a wife and a mistress from the on set. The mistress spends your money and the wife saves it. As per Brazilian hair, the worst combination is Brazilian hair and F9 parallel. In that situation go and do ‘kiko’

23. Godspower

February 20, 2015 at 12:41 am

Niaja babes love money till they enter the grave

24. Jonathan

February 20, 2015 at 12:50 am

Nigeria girls and money…especially girls wetin 22 and 26 years old….they age is a ver dangerous age,….they want to be on the fast lane…they think its by power or intelligence…my sister is not by entering private jets or number of trips to Dubai ..it’s by the man that propose….some men treat their flings or side chicks more than their wife’s at home …so don’t be deceived with the washing or effizy you are seeing..it’s all washing…by the time he his tired of eating egusi..he will move to ogbono…so any man that will cheat on his wife to sleep with u, what makes u think he won’t leave u for another…remember in 2 years time..the size of that place won’t be same…it would have slacked a little bit…he will look for a tighter one…so be wise

25. Eve82

February 20, 2015 at 12:55 am

I hope there is a prenup some where.

26. Chike

February 20, 2015 at 1:20 am

Because the way nigerian girls love money, we the men have decided to be lying to them, we just try to fake everything…from the moment you sleep with them, u stop spending then it’s now their turn to spend …u start collecting money from them……we guys could just make up a story like I did some contracts in Abuja, am still waiting for payment…u just need to lie and deceive these babes..if u tell them the truth before sex, it will take u 2 years to bring them to bed….so it’s better to form like u have money

If u notice, after sex many guys don’t spend a dime again, or the just reduce the spending…

27. Abby

February 20, 2015 at 2:01 am

Respect to you Cory. I admire you and your wife.

28. Yes?

February 20, 2015 at 9:18 am

Of you do this as a Naija girl..I just pity you! Well I hope he stays true to her all the way.

29. It's Legendary

February 20, 2015 at 9:30 am

The beef and hatred Nigerian babes have for Nigerian guys is legendary!

BN girls are canker worms and cancerous. They can corrupt and influence a good lady.

The only irony is that despite the beef and hate, they cant do without them.

For those who have ears, never take or apply any advice or comment you read here to your relationship/marriage.

Association of men haters and beefers !
    ASMHAB

30. MC

February 20, 2015 at 11:53 am

I became baffled as I read the comments!
    How did this article become about Nigerian women loving money too much!?

31. Luchilu

February 20, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I wish all men can see this…”Cats gotta front and be like they somebody when they not, and that’s not me. I roll alone. You born alone, you die alone. I feel like a man can just hold his own and be a man. I don’t have to play games with anybody” #TrueTalk

32. xxx

February 20, 2015 at 4:22 pm

She was in America, she was young and open, she picked up a hottie at a bus stop probably in a safe area, it’s a cute story but people should stop using it as “yardage”. Pick up a random at a bus stop in naij and you know u’ll be glad you live to tell a story. The society is completely different from ours so nothing to compare. Who wouldnt pick up a hottie on the streets of probably LA (where most are hot aspiring actors and musicians and what not) as a youngun. Hiss…

33. Chinagorom Martin

Chinagorom Martin

February 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Tia and her sister typifies what a woman should be for me, mature!

34. Endowed

April 15, 2015 at 12:38 am

this is toosweet, i like both of them