Career

Meet the Pregnant “Keke Napep” Rider & Entrepreneur Everyone is Talking About

BellaNaija.com

StorriedOlayinka Adeyemo, a pregnant woman based in Lagos, has been making headlines over the past couple of days due to her unique entrepreneurship story.

Adeyemo is the owner of a “Keke Napep” (commercial tricycle), which she rides to make a living.

Keke Napep riders are usually male, and the job is considered to be quite strenuous. And so the fact that Adeyemo, a pregnant woman is dominating the field, is fascinating to many.

In an interview with Storried, here’s what she had to say about delving into the Keke Napep business, her experience as a female in the male – dominated profession, and more.

Here are excerpts from the interview:

On how she got into the Keke business

My brother, I’m a graduate, but rather than stay idle coupled with the responsibility of taking care of my young family, a friend of mine encouraged me to take-up this business. First, I got this tricycle through a hire-purchase arrangement from this friend, but now it’s mine because I’m done with paying up the cost of the tricycle.

On how it feels to operate in a male-dominated career

I don’t feel any different. I’m working and the men are working too. The difference is that I get more considerations from bus-stop touts who milk us of our earnings because I’m a woman, and when they see my protruding tummy, they just let me be.

On how she is able to do the job while pregnant

I’m only pregnant. I’m not sick. Yes, I’m often tired, but this work is all I have to contribute to my family economy and meet my personal needs.

Read the entire interview on Storried.com

Photo Credit: Storried.com

1. chukwukadibia

March 22, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Strong woman.

2. EllesarisEllendil

March 22, 2015 at 8:08 pm

“I’m only pregnant. I’m not sick.”
    My my wife say these exact words when she’s pregnant. Amen.
    Good for the woman, shattering the stereotype that women are bad drivers one Keke passenger at a time.

• Uuu

March 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Please I hate reading people jumping on this statement. Not every pregnant woman is fortunate to remain completely in good health when bringing another being to life. If all pregnant were are in good health maternal mortality rate won’t be so high, women wouldn’t lose pregnancies. It would be like drinking a glass of water, there are women who are bed ridden for the whole nine months or some with severe morning sickness and become so dehydrated

• *curious*

March 23, 2015 at 12:45 am

Girl speak!! I totally agree. It is surely by God’s grace you can be that strong when pregnant. We have different genetics so we def all don’t handle pregnancy the same.
      Still, kudos to her though.

• Miss Somebody

March 23, 2015 at 7:39 am

On point!!!
      I’ve had 2 pregnancies and had severe morning sickness with both of them from very much day of conception to delivery date. It is the worse experience ever and the reason why I never wanted a 3rd child.
      This woman is an inspiration though, I wish her the best.
      People shd stop assuming every pregnant woman can keep in good health.
      For this reason I have SO MUCH SYMPATHY Kate Middleton that has gone through 2 pregnancies with morning sickness and the whole worl judging her and calling her lazy and spoilt.

• Healthy preg

March 23, 2015 at 10:31 am

People need to note that pregnancy is not an illness. People that are ill during pregnancy are like that due to various reasons whether pregnancy related or not. So yes pregnancy is not an illness hence the reason why you do not need to see a doctor when pregnant unless an illness crops up. A midwife is more than adequate.

• Omo1

March 23, 2015 at 10:40 am

You don’t have to take offence at the statement. I’m sure its just a positive affirmation. True, not all pregnant women remain in good health, but at the same time, normally pregnancy does not necessarily have to mean that a woman becomes incapacitated. I guess that’s just the message associated with such statements.

3. Val

March 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Madam, I duff my hat for you. The Lord is ur strength.

4. lala

March 22, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Claps! Hands up to her making money for herself and her family instead of begging in the streets or other things!

5. DoroAnon

March 22, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Rubbbishhh!!nonsense I don’t have any problem with a woman driving Kekenapep! But where’s d man dat gave her d belle!! Mayb he’s waiting for her to come back with her day earning so he drinks ogogoro/Kaikai or he’s ontop woman!!

• EllesarisEllesar

March 22, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Or just a thought maybe he’s busy in the farm or vending Newspapers or carpentry or Masonry etc or does a Man have to be useless before the Woman works??

• Vortex

March 22, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Unless you have special info about this hardworking lady and her family, your assumption that her husband is a layabout is “Rubbishhh!! and nonsense”

• Personal Signature

March 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Doro Anon,

Your stance on the male folk is very glaring and evident. I know you are sitting on a high horse but ignorant of the state of things. This one you are seeing is even better than hundreds of thousands you can’t see.

Thanks to the growth of info tech and people sharing everything they see online. Many of the husbands are bricklayers, carpenters, shoe makers that earn maybe 1,000k in a day, which is not enough to make ends meet.

6. welcome to our world in USA

March 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Am glad she did. A lot of people in Nigeria are just lazy ass, who don’t want to think outside the box when it comes to survival. They just want to sit and complain or wait for us here in usa to send them the manner we’ve gotten from the tree. I commend her for being strong but also want folks back home to know that this is no big deal over here. You just got to do what you have to do to survive else you will find your ass on the street.

• Personal Signature

March 22, 2015 at 10:15 pm

When God assists a man to be something in life, they forget where they are coming from and where they were brought out from.

There is reward for labour where you are, even with the taxes. Can you compare the standard of living? Can you compare the purchasing power? No one is waiting for you to send them money.

Go to ojuelegba or a typical Nigerian state where people wake up 4am to get to work by 7am, close by 5/6pm, wait another 1-2hours to get a bus and get home daily by 9-10pm. So on a daily basis, 4am – 10pm and what do they have to show for it?

Weldone Ms USA

• Nne

March 23, 2015 at 1:33 am

“A lot of people in Nigeria are lazy”, that statement is out of place, unnecessary and stupid. You lot need to be reasonable and learn to stop generalising hideously. Do you know the population of Nigeria? Yet “a lot of people on Nigeria are lazy”? How can you come up with that outrageous analysis? Please use your brain and stop being ignorant. I hate reading illogical comments like this.

• Nne

March 23, 2015 at 1:33 am

In*

• idomagirl

March 23, 2015 at 9:55 am

‘A lot of Nigerians are lazy’. What a stupid comment.

7. ATL's finest

March 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Standing Ovation for her! ” she’s pregnant & not sick” sounds like some women I come across 🙂 Props to U for fending for your family. God bless your delivery and your hustle.. She reminds me of women who drive big trucks across the States #phew#.. What a man can do, a woman can do it BETTER:)

8. Vortex

March 22, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Laudable temerity and outlook on life!

I’m a bit concerned about safety for her and her unborn child(ren) because while she’s “only pregnant and not sick”, pregnancy is still a delicate phase especially when a woman is as heavy as she is. May God strengthen and protect them.

9. Uuu

March 22, 2015 at 9:47 pm

On a lighter note. God bless her hustle

10. poison ivy

March 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm

“Mother of the year award ” goes to this lady.
    She’s amazing and I pray that her labour pays off through her kids.#blessed

11. Personal Signature

March 22, 2015 at 9:57 pm

You all are busy duff-ing your hat and giving her a standing ovation. In as much as this is a very commendable act and an unusual one, it saddens me that no one sees how bad the economy has become.

Seems no one sees the aspect where she said she is a graduate. You all on BN are graduates, but have you for once imagined this kind of situation for your enemy not to even talk of a loved one or yourself?

For a graduate to result to this, she must have tried all avenues. I know many people on BN may portray themselves to be a “gbogbo bigz girl/boy” but they know better in their closet. Many may even be paid less than 50k as salary, yet they have been graduates for years.

Nigerian youths/people, let us stop the ass-licking and praise singing of people because of tribal/ethnic/religious affiliations or because we are a beneficiary of the system/or have been bribed with dollars or customized bags of rice and maggi they are distributing all over for campaign.

Let us effect a change for the betterment of the lives of all. By change, i dont mean voting for APC, but demanding transparent, uncorrupted governance. We have so much in this country to be living in poverty.

Forget those living and commenting from the states, UK, Lagos and Abuja, there is real and absolute poverty in the land. What we can see online is the small fraction of us who even have access to the internet. This is an insignificant fraction out of the 170million population.

This night they parading “An EVENING WITH MR PRESIDENT AND NIGERIAN YOUNG PROFESSIONALS”. Can that small gathering represent the hundreds of thousand of those who went to write Immigration test in stadiums and lost their lives across the country?

Till we are tired of feeding on crumbs and we demand for the right thing.

Finally, the picture of this woman going round is the reality on ground of our state in Nigeria. Forget the 5.45% of those who are in oil companies, FIRS, SEC, CBN and those who try to impress on FB, INSTAGRAM and Twitter but are living in a BQ and cant afford 3square meal.

God bless Nigeria, give us good leaders, change us individuals to effect this change we need.

• Thatgidigirl

March 22, 2015 at 11:16 pm

@ personal signature this your mentality right here is disturbing, and is the basis for a lot of vices in our society….greed and get rich quick mentality. What ever happened to dignity in labor? Where is it cast in stone that every graduate must work in an office with a desk and chair. I encourage entrepreneurship, and I applaud this woman’s effort to create a job for herself rather than accuse the government of everything. Because she is literate, I strongly believe that she would be able to manage her business more efficiently and figure out a unique value proposition to offer her customers in no time or a competitive edge. Give her a few months or years from now and she would be an employer of labour while you stay here blaming the government for circumstances within your control. It is not uncommon to see graduates these days start up businesses that people have deemed unattractive or for semi literates in the past. My carpenter is a graduate and speaks impeccable English, I paid him plus 200k for furniture which is way more than what a lot of white collar workers can boast of at the end of the month.
      In my opinion, this isn’t a reflection of how bad our economy is but proof of a paradigm shift in our generation. Innovation and creativity has taken the place of 9-5, you better get with the programme or keep blaming the government for lazy thinking.

• Personal Signature

March 23, 2015 at 8:20 am

Gidi girl,

Is it that your fingers were itching you to type or you had an awful weekend and looking for a place to vent it? Please tell us the school you went. Is comprehension that difficult for you?
      I don’t blame you. If this is not a reflection of the economy, tell me what it is.

Is keke napep same as greyhound bus or metro bus that the women in US are driving? Please go for check up

• Shandi

March 23, 2015 at 1:37 am

You do realise that in Canada, America, the UK and many other countries you even find PhD holders as taxi drivers or bus drivers? So I don’t understand your unnecessary epistle. While I’m not saying the Nigerian economy is good or bad, you need to stop with the gibberish. “There is poverty in the land”, there is poverty and unemployment everywhere.

• Thatgidigirl

March 23, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Thank you Shandi!!! After reading his insulting response, I understood his/her mentality and realised that i shouldn’t have responded to the epistle in the first place. Unemployment and poverty is everywhere, and a degree does not mean you are entitled to a job! Start from where you are and use what you have…..i doubt personal signature has anything to use in the first place hence the baseless rant.

12. winnie

March 22, 2015 at 11:01 pm

God bless you @ Personal signature

13. Dat iLangrL

March 22, 2015 at 11:34 pm

This is the type of woman who will make it big in America. — because she ‘s willing to work . Nigerians need to come see pregnant nurses/ bus drivers/ strippers ( ok ! so this is an extreme example )
    Immigrants are the hardest working people in this US of A. and her success story will be no different than those who are willing to get an honest pay for their hard work. I bet you she will be the ultimate candidate for that green card Lottery because of her work ethic. >>>Lord knows we have enough American born lazy people on Welfare here ~~~~

14. adebola

March 23, 2015 at 1:05 am

Well said my friend. Am a graduate and I earn 38,999 a month. What a country

• bug

March 23, 2015 at 6:14 am

Create your own and employ to pay higher. Please don’t complain doing nothing to change the trend. A graduate friend taught for 4years with a constant salary of N30k. She resigned when she realize that she can’t even afford the school for her only son. She started a branding outfit under a tent 6 month ago. Now she makes 15ok monthly, another graduate friend went into fishery, She makes 250 monthly. Another started with home made bread now has an outlet. My best friend resigned from the bank and started sewing from her house,today she earn more than her salary. I can go on and on.
      search within,you have the potential to increase your bank account by 500k every month. You will thank me later.

15. nnenne

March 23, 2015 at 2:03 am

@ Personal signature… Even in the so called developed world, women are busy doing their thing. IT IS NOT ONLY IN NIGERIA.
    A co=commuter, rode about 80 miles either way daily throughout her pregnancy. She resumed work 4 weeks after delivery with her baby every day, whom she drops off to a baby sitter when she gets to the city before going to her office.
    According to her she wakes up 3:30 -4 am so as to have enough time to get herself and her baby ready for the day. Be reminded that she does this in an extreme weather… snow. extreme cold temperatures. She is neither black nor African. Yes, she is educated too. Her husband rides with her sometimes.I don’t know what their story is but I always felt sorry for her. Her baby is about 6 weeks old now.
    It is not easy anywhere in this world!

16. jennietobbie

March 23, 2015 at 2:07 am

The power of a woman 🙂 🙂 🙂 family first!!!! God bless you, mama

17. akwa iboms ajebutter

March 23, 2015 at 6:24 am

Wellspoken

18. MOM

March 23, 2015 at 8:30 am

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY, YOU WILL DELIVER LIKE THE HEBREW WOMEN. YOU CHILD WILL BE HEALTHY AND YOU TOO. AMEN. GOD IS WITH YOU.

19. JULIE

March 23, 2015 at 9:35 am

May God continue to strengthen u IJN Amen

20. prince

March 23, 2015 at 9:40 am

Well done madam. God will crown your efforts.

21. fidelia akalia ebere

March 23, 2015 at 9:56 am

Wahoo truely one of a kind I have seen in my entire lyf.

22. ife

March 23, 2015 at 10:18 am

i do agree that Mrs Olayinka deserves an applause for taking the initiative to raise above the limitations of the economy and society in which we live ., but then I must raise my concern. driving or riding keke napep in this ” delicate condition” is worrisome to me. the rate at which road accidents and all happens in lagos these day is alarming, how safe is she? no seatbelt and all. I know she needs to feed and contribute to the family’s financial wellbeing but….lets think about it would it be nicer if what she does is a tadbit safer for both she and the baby? honestly it is just sad… despite being a graduate.

23. Abbs

March 23, 2015 at 10:27 am

I feel such envy when I see pregnant women who are able to go about their day as usual. I live in the UK and left city work life to start my own business so I can spend more time with my son and husband… and have more babies! It’s been 4 years, my business is now a success with a six figure turnover after year 1, achieved through serious HARD work. People see my success and assume I am one of those power women that don’t have time for babies, but little do they know that I have had 3 failed pregnancies since starting the business. The doctors console me that it’s not stress related but then they don’t have any explanations. My first pregnancy whilst leading a somewhat less stressful life was straightforward so I must be doing something wrong right?

I know some women milk the fact they are pregnant but some of us will give anything to go about our day as normal and see our pregnancy through to fruition.

• Jhennique

March 23, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hugs for you Abbs

24. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls#

March 23, 2015 at 11:37 am

@Abbs- When Doctors can not explain why, God can. My dear, never allow the devil steal your joy because he never gave it to you. U must lift up your spirit and be hopeful. I know alot of people with lot more worse cases and God intervened, Yours will happen too. Just be strong, positive and hold on. The bible says “he will grant us our heart desires” and if u desire to have children of your own…you will be the grace of God. It is his will for you and it will come to pass.
    Hold on dear sister, change is coming!
    @The Keke Napep woman- God will continue to strengthen u and increase your reward and not your labour. Women are amazing beings and I hail the inner strength in us. Alot of other preggy women hawk in hot sun, do menial jobs and still help support the home in their own little means but the main thing is that if the economy was better their labour will be little compared to their profit. And that is the Nigeria will hope and pray for. Well done lady!

25. Purple_star

March 24, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Hard Work pays but nothing good comes easy…
    My sister, I like your courage and determination, one day you will be rewarded greatly…..

26. geegee

April 14, 2015 at 11:26 am

I am yet to see a “keke napep” in the US that some of you all are using as a standard.
    Driving a bus in the UK and the US is a different ball game compared to what is obtainable here on Nigerian roads.
    Please can someone tell me any part in the world where you close work at 5pm and get home at 1am to leave for work again by 4am on a daily basis and still someone tells me we cant blame the government?
    That a graduate drives a keke napep is a big deal in the nigerian context take it or leave it.
    Has anyone ever thought of the health implications this might have on the woman in question because driving as a profession is a male dominated profession simply because of its rigors and dangers/don’t be deceived she is only doing this because it is what is available for her to do and she needs to pay her bills,i doubt if this is her passion?
    that she is coping with her pregnancy is a miracle because i can tell you for free the most hardworking woman in the world can be turned to the laziest during pregnancy because different women with different pregnancy behavior”.
    Didn’t the bible say the woman was created to be a help mate to the man so why are we making it sound like women have to work even harder to make ends meet in a home?our job is to assist/help and as long as the man cannot carry a foetus to term then women shouldn’t be encouraged to engage in killer jobs like this.
    kudos to her though .

27. Ernie

April 22, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I understand where @personal signature is coming from. Really, lets be factual who amongst us would even consider doing that? Common, it is very, very, very risky. the situation of this country is terrible. it is only pure poverty that would make anybody consider that, A pregnant woman for that matter, abeg. you cant compare keke napep with cab drivers in the US or UK. It is really disheartening