News

John Fashanu & wife Abigail’s Bitter Divorce Battle makes UK Tabloid Headlines

John and Abigail Fashanu
Being an international celebrity certainly has its pros and unfortunately, it also has its cons. John Fashanu and his wife Abigail Onyekwelu are feeling the heat today as intimate details about their marriage have been splashed across UK tabloid pages including the Sunday People section of the Daily Mirror and the Daily Mail.

Background
Football legend John Fashanu married Abigail Onyekwelu – a lawyer and mother of beauty queen/football wife Adaeze Yobo in 2011. At the time, the couple proclaimed their love for each other.

At the time, Abigail shared this with Encomium Magazine.

“Yes, we got married about three weeks ago. We’ve known each other for some years and we took the whole situation one step at a time, so that we would be able to know what we wanted from each other. And we also wanted to be sure we were compatible and when we knew, we sought the opinion of our children and they said if it’s OK by us, we should go ahead. And we did. The thing that endeared me to him is that he is a romantic person and he loves God the way I do. And yes, I am so much in love.”

Current Situation
The couple’s divorce battle is presently being played out at the Abuja High Court. Both parties have accused the other of infidelity.
Abigail told the Daily Mirror reporter – “Good riddance to bad rubbish! I’ve left him and washed my hands.

While John says “She attempted to use knives on me. It was terrifying…My life was at stake, there’s no two ways about that. Even if you did think I was sleeping with the maid, or even if you thought I was sleeping with Miss Nigeria, don’t kill me! Just leave me and go. The ­violence was just too much. My life was at risk and I didn’t want it to happen again. That’s why I filed for divorce.

What Happened?
No one knows for sure. However, according to John who spoke exclusively to the Daily Mirror reporter, Abigail claims she caught him in bed with the maid and another woman. He denies this and is now countering with his own allegations.

“I’ve been very fortunate to date some of the most beautiful women in the world,” Fash insisted. “I certainly don’t have to sleep with my cleaner! This is me, John Fashanu, you’re talking to. It’s absolute nonsense. If she wants to make up that ­story, at least let her say it’s Beyoncé or someone. Don’t say it’s my cleaner, that’s just b******s. It’s not true at all. The truth is she’s been cheating on me with a woman she calls her spiritual partner. I caught them in the bed many times. That was why I kicked her out of my house.”

The Money Angle
John added: “I’m the one who is filing for divorce. I couldn’t stand her and, to be honest, she probably couldn’t stand me. With Abigail it was just money, money, money.

“I’ve never seen a woman who has such an appetite for money. Nearly one million Nigerian naira (around £3,300) was stolen from my house in Abuja. There are police reports you can see.

“There were so many assaults, it was just getting too much. It was absolutely ridiculous. She attacked me on multiple occasions. The whole situation was far too hot for me. There are some wonderful, wonderful women. It’s just that I met the wrong one.”

Abigail’s Defence
The Daily Mirror also reached out to Abigail and she denied all John’s claims then confirmed she had indeed caught him being unfaithful.

On the Assault Claims
“John’s saying I tried to kill him? Oh my God, this is so funny. I don’t quite ­understand all this. “How can I kill him? How can ­somebody like me kill this huge man who is an expert in karate. I don’t ­understand how I can kill him.”

When she was told that he had accused her of going to his house armed with knives before trying to attack him, Abigail retorted: “Oh my God, that is ridiculous.”

On the Infidelity Accusations
She also rejected Fashanu’s claim that he threw her out of his house after finding her in bed with another woman.

Abigail said: “He didn’t kick me out of his house. We were living in my house. He couldn’t have kicked me out of my own house – I kicked him out.”

Of the woman concerned, she ­insisted: “She is a good friend to me. She has a husband and children. It is ridiculous. She was living with me for a while to get back on her feet.”

Yes, I Caught Him Cheating with the Maid…
Abigail went on: “I caught him in bed with two women, the housemaid and one other woman. There were two women, it was awful.

“They were on the bed. They were undressed. I said to them, ‘Who are you and what’s going on here?’

“He told me that he doesn’t know what he’s doing and I should pray for him. He knows how to manipulate people, that’s one thing he is good at.

On the Divorce Filing
“I last saw him in April last year. I didn’t know he’d filed for divorce. He has been calling people asking them to plead with me to get back with him.

“I would have filed for divorce myself but I haven’t because I’ve been very busy. And he asked me not to because he did not want to make it known that we had separated.

“So I went on my way and I left him but I didn’t tell anybody anything.

“I’ve told him, ‘I don’t want you any more, I have forgiven you, I’m a Christian. But I don’t want you any more, just leave me alone.’

I don’t take him seriously. I don’t have time for him. If I should be angry at anyone, I should be angry at myself for descending so low as to enter into marriage with such a person.”

Stolen Money?
Responding to claims she stole money from Fashanu, Abigail added: “Anybody can say anything – but how can I go to his house and steal from him in his house?

“I wasn’t living there with him. He’s sick and he needs help.”

You can read the full story on the Daily Mirror Website HERE

It is really sad when couple’s intimate lives play out in the public eye. We hope the situation can be resolved amicably.

1. Scared homosapien

April 26, 2015 at 4:02 pm

When things get so bad, you hear stuffs like ‘he said..’ ‘ she said…’. May God truly help us.

• Nengie

April 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm

There is no word as stuffs…. its just stuff Dear

• Corazon

April 27, 2015 at 5:11 am

i get annoyed when my mother says stuffs. it drives me up the wall!

2. yellow sissy

April 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Was it marriage at first place? I think say na ‘olingo’ una dey do.

3. Reverse

April 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

There’s something creepy about this fashanu man…

• Wale

April 26, 2015 at 6:46 pm

You are so right. I have always thought so too. He is an “has been” celeb. Using lost lost glories to advance himself. Weird stuff.

• Ada Nnewi

April 26, 2015 at 9:51 pm

The guy is a Major creep…In 2010 at MMA2 when him and Mama Ada’s relationship was reportedly hot, he was trolling me around the terminal trying to get my number and dropped one nonsense “advisor to the presidency” business card thinking it would get my attention…but I just blanked him…he just had slimy written all over him…

• Dauda Waziri

October 5, 2016 at 1:44 pm

NA LIE

• maxine

May 13, 2015 at 10:01 am

not cool to call to someone creepy. how would you feel if i called you creepy?

• lalaroses

December 14, 2017 at 1:38 am

blame it on the rough childhood. at least he is still alive. his brother committed suicide. parents take care of your kids

4. miss max

April 26, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Our own version of Hollywood marriage and divorce. Am i surprise? No. Two months after their marriage was made public, someone very close to John said and i quote ‘this is not the right woman for J and trust him, he will take to his heels.’ But what kind of allegations are these anyway by both parties?

5. Marlvina

April 26, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Actually, you both need help!!!!! You both sound like nursery infants! Msheww! Marriage is indeed for the matured.

6. bruno

April 26, 2015 at 4:15 pm

OKOKOBIOKO.

2015 is becoming the year of very juicy scandals.so messy, I LOVE IT.
    tea is spilling all over the floor, nowadays nobody gives a sh!t, people are ready to wash their stinking linens in public.

first of all john fashanu, who the hell do u think you are calling ur house keeper a “cleaner”

” “I certainly don’t have to sleep with my
    cleaner! This is me, John Fashanu, you’re talking
    to. It’s absolute nonsense. If she wants to make
    up that story, at least let her say it’s Beyoncé or
    someone. Don’t say it’s my cleaner,”

John fashanu shut up ur mouth let us hear word. what are u trying to insinuate, that u are too high and mighty to sleep with your house help, biko save it.
    lets not forget jude law cheated on sienna Miller with the nanny, so u better come down from that ur high horse.

so adaeze yobo’s mother enjoys the company of other women, according to her soon to be ex husband. okay oh. (sipping tea). I believe

threesomes and lesbians and stolen money issues, and infidelity, DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA, I love it.
    there’s no need to pay for Dstv again.

• G

April 26, 2015 at 5:18 pm

*grabs-popcorn* and *3D glasses*, this one na high definition… *sips-juice*

• Kunmi

April 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm

LOOOOL “There’s no need to pay for DStv again” #dead

• tmz

April 27, 2015 at 1:30 am

Bruno, I’m sure I know you

7. Endy

April 26, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Adults behaving like kids,I wonder the kind of Advice they will give to their children, No wonder I Adaeze put up her personal conversation with her husband on Instagram…Just to prove what? Everything about this family is public/Instagram…Learn to compt yourselves

8. mrs chidukane

April 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I still remember her ThisDay Style shoot with her daughter. It was so awesome

9. Lilo

April 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm

More evidence that marriage is not for everyone….Adaeze, come and get yo momz

10. Diesel

April 26, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Mature idiots disgracing their children, I wonder how Ada joseph Yobo ll be feeling seeng all this

• Beez

April 27, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Her Mum has always been on the fast lane, having her at 23 when her mates were struggling to get pass college, and then pushing Ada to marry at 21 without completing Uni just because a wealthy footballer came her way, obviously her eye dey chuck! i just hope Ada doesnt end up like that.

11. sylvia

April 26, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Money grabbing woman…….money and fame chasing man thru the help of am a good looking man and women are all over me, gigolo in the highest form…
    Both were not right for each other in the first place.
    Something fishy about both individuals God help them to heal.

12. Anon

April 26, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Melissa must be somewhere smiling. She got off lightly. Mr Igwe must be somewhere smiling. He got off lightly.

An odd couple and it was always going to end in tears. Their stories have always been out there.

• nene

April 26, 2015 at 5:48 pm

gbam

13. U D

April 26, 2015 at 4:53 pm

This man sure sounds like a proud ass.
    You’ve been opportuned to date the most beautiful women in the world?? And what’s that suppose to mean??
    In fact both of them are cray cray!!!
    And this woman shouldn’t take her bad vibes to her daughter’s home, she might just cause problems between Joseph and Adaeze.

14. ...

April 26, 2015 at 4:56 pm

SO SAD

15. ...

April 26, 2015 at 4:56 pm

THIS WOMAN WAS DESPERATE TO GET INTO A RELATIONSHIP AFTER HER DIVORCE FROM IK IGWE…SHE KNEW JOHN FASHANU WAS A LOSER INTO 3 SOMES..I GUESS SHE THOUGHT HER CASE WOULD BE DIFFERENT…I REMEMBER YEARS AGO WHEN ADAEZE WAS A LITTLE GIRL..HER HUSBAND IK IGWE WAS REALLY IN LOVE WITH AND DOTED ON HER AND WHENEVER HE TRAVELED BOUGHT HER SPECTACULAR CLOTHES HATS, SHOES AND WHAT NOT..AND SHE WAS ALWAYS FAWNING OVER HIM AND NEVER LET HIM OUT OF HER SIGHT…TILL TODAY I DON’T KNOW HAT WENT WRONG WITH HER AND IK IGWE…THIS LIFE IS JUST SOMETHING ELSE…HOPE SHE TAKES HER TIME BEFORE JUMPING INTO ANOTHER RELATIONSHIP HEADLONG

16. glory

April 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Like seriously!dis kid’s needs 2 grow up fast

17. Renege

April 26, 2015 at 5:20 pm

hahahahahahahahahahaha. This made me laugh so hard. Say what now???

18. nene

April 26, 2015 at 5:47 pm

it was so obvious they wouldn’t last. don’t know what she was thinking

19. nene

April 26, 2015 at 5:51 pm

abigail is a lesbian say it ain’t so *rolling my eyes*. john, beht you also know ur hands are not clean. i always pictured him marry in nike oshinowo, both stupid people.

20. amh

April 26, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Dirry old peeps.

21. I don get alert #GodWin

April 26, 2015 at 7:46 pm

“If she wants to make up that ­story, at least let her say it’s Beyoncé or someone. Don’t say it’s my cleaner…”
    LOL!!! Soooo, na der ur eye dey now eh??? Woman wey people know say na Another man wife, na im u dey carry do example??? Chai!

Out of the abundance of their hearts, they are dishing out to each other shamelessy…#pity

22. Tee

April 26, 2015 at 8:43 pm

This is a typical case of “all that glitters is not gold”. We sometimes envy other people’s marriages and families wishing we could have half of it. Unbeknownst to us, their battles are even greater. Think of the Kardashians and many more… People please in order not to offend God or change ya destiny, stop tapping into people’s blessings ooh. Hian! Be content and your time will come.

23. Ima

April 26, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Whatever happen to “we are divorcing due to irreconcilable differences”, at least that simple phrase has saved a lot of couples from washing their dirty linen in public and the public on the other hand left to feed on insinuations. I believe these two never really loved themselves from the onset. How else do you explain tarnishing each other’s image by granting these interviews? Even if these allegations are true, must you both let the whole world in on what happened in your home? I am indeed ashamed of this behavior especially coming from parents of grownups and even a grandmother.

24. nnenne

April 27, 2015 at 12:46 am

I still maintain that I can only marry once.
    Whatever happens after( death, divorce, separation), am done.

25. Tosin

April 27, 2015 at 7:35 am

1. This my friend is how rich becomes not-so-rich.
    2. I underlined this part, because a lot of people are crazy, and that’s not love: “She attempted to use knives on me. It was terrifying…My life was at stake, there’s no two ways about that. Even if you did think I was sleeping with the maid, or even if you thought I was sleeping with Miss Nigeria, don’t kill me! Just leave me and go…”
    3. Lol @ she’s all about money. All these things they knew soon as they met. Whatever. Split. Boring.

26. coke

April 27, 2015 at 9:43 am

AND WHAT KIND OF RUBBISH TALK IS THIS…

These knives threatening stuff should be address seriously and charged to court id possible, its becoming too rampant.

27. OD

April 27, 2015 at 10:52 am

Cant couples just walk away quietly from without washing their dirty linen in public? for God sake.?

28. ogeAdiro

April 27, 2015 at 4:21 pm

What’s with all the knife wielding? Abeg, people need to start going for psychological evaluation before marriage oh.

29. Beez

April 27, 2015 at 7:48 pm

This John Fashanu guy kind of reminds me of Femi Fani Kayode……..they kinda have something in common!

30. adongerrit

April 28, 2015 at 10:33 am

Bruno you are funny and so right.
    besides i think john is lying through his nose… cant sleep with the cleaner indeed….she no get p**sy?

31. Bushbaby

May 14, 2015 at 2:06 am

Una just dey talk oooooooo hmmm if u’ve not walk in the shoes you would neva know what up. Dirty linen outside that means the knife on the throat has finally slit the throat. It is better for everything to go wrong now than someone dying all in the name of what wud the public think of me. Hmmm have been there it ain’t funny. Easier said than done.