Style

Inspiration or Imitation? Kim Kardashian Accused of Copying Beyonce’s 2012 MET Gown

Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce-KnowlesSocial media is going in on Kim Kardashian for wearing, what they are calling an imitation of Beyoncé’s 2012 MET Gala gown.

The 34-year-old reality TV star stepped out on the red carpet in a gorgeous white sheer Roberto Cavalli gown with fringe detail at the bottom.

Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (1) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (2) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (7) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (8)

While a lot of people are saying the outfit was inspired by Beyoncé’s black and purple sheer Givenchy gown with similar fringe elements to the 2012 MET Gala, Kim Kardashian maintains that her look was inspired by Cher’s look for the first ever MET gala and not Beyonce.

Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (6) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (3) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (4) Kim-Kardashian-Beyonce (5)

She posted a photo of her inspiration on Instagram and captioned:

Tonight’s inspiration! Cher at the 1st ever Met Gala! I just met her and told her this photo was my inspiration for my dress tonight! She is so beautiful! So happy I met her!

Cher

Photo Credit: Getty Images| Instagram – @kimkardashian

1. Ada Nnewi

May 5, 2015 at 10:52 am

Cher and Kim look totally gorgeous!

• ms Julz

May 5, 2015 at 11:19 am

all I see is kim. And yes her outfit to me looks and fits a lot better than what beyonce is wearing

2. Alert!

May 5, 2015 at 11:08 am

I don’t see any imitation! And even if there is a similarity nko? People will always have something to say. Why was Bey not accused of imitating Riri..mschew! Now the media is hailing Beyonce for her so called “daring” outfit.. What’s with all the nudity sef. I am happy that Riri disappointed a lot of us. Kim’s look was good enough, but Beyonce? naahhhhh!!!!!

3. Ade.

May 5, 2015 at 11:16 am

who cares? it’s just a gown!

4. ms Julz

May 5, 2015 at 11:21 am

Even if she dii copy anyone, Please does beyonce design all of her outfits. Oh please everyone copies at some point. Kim is beautiful abeg.

5. Bella

May 5, 2015 at 11:51 am

I really don’t think fashion is original, its evolves! So I don’t see how anyone can copy anyone. If the outfit works then it works regardless of the century or who wore it first, second or last! Kim looked stunning to me this year.

6. Nneka

May 5, 2015 at 11:53 am

I am sorry o …. when i saw kims pic on instagram, I thought she looked nice but I have just seen a more clear picture now and its just not it.. Kim is just too short and wide for this kind of outfit….plus her (fake) big boobs and big bum on display. her boob area is just not right going in different directions. her hair and makeup on point. I prefer her dress last year to this, she looked better.

On the comparison. Beyonce looked better- her height and slimmer stature gave her a better fit.

7. Fanya

May 5, 2015 at 11:58 am

People need to give Kim K a break. She cant even sneeze without people hating on her. The dress is lovely and though both dresses look alike, I don’t believe she tried to imitate Beyonce. Even if she did… SO WHAT?!!!!!

• Anon2

May 5, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Abi o! So f***g what?

8. amy

May 5, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Kim is a copier and love to out do things to be on top….. As far as dis world is concerned, u can never be Beyonce….. She’s so unique dats y she’s adored by so many

9. Diddy

May 5, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Haters looking for someting negative to say,wht is there to coppy,they wore different designers outfit but kim is really looking woooow,is like underwears r no longer necessary for the ladies anyway is our own advantage we wey be guys so we go dey look shapes of pussies well

10. LadyWithTheAfroLocs

May 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm

too beautiful for words….how can 1 human being be this beautiful?
    Kanye ku”ise o

11. hon

May 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm

yeaaaa but wassap with being naked?? hian! oga o

12. Aquarian

May 5, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Cher looks like mamiwater…no hard feelings!

13. Tkum

May 5, 2015 at 1:18 pm

what are you people saying…this is pure imitation and to think Kim will never agree Beyonce inspires her..smh…Cher abi Char’s dress is totally different from Kim’s dress na!

• doena

May 5, 2015 at 3:04 pm

There is nothing wrong with copying. But the question is, did she copy? The answer is YES! She Copied! Her ouitfit looks more like Beyonce’s than Cher.

14. Tkum

May 5, 2015 at 1:21 pm

even Kim’s hair is styled same way as Beyonce…what are we saying
    …Kim only imitated Cher with the almost same-like sheer fabric!…

• Anon2

May 5, 2015 at 2:49 pm

You cant a dress like that and let your down can u?

15. nene

May 5, 2015 at 2:44 pm

copy what? please her outfit is nice and looks nothing like beyonce’s outfit last year.

16. toodle

May 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Na wao…
    An obvious answer.
    Kim Copied Beyonce na…what are we saying? Her inspiration is Cher? Which Cher? D one i’m seeing?
    Jare. There is nutin wrong with your fellow celebrity inspiring your outfit but claiming another when it’s obvios is funny.

17. freemind

May 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Even if she copied, she beats beyonce both this year’s met gala and beyonce’s version of the gown, hands down. She’s graciously and effortless beautiful in her gown.

18. ShineShineShine

May 5, 2015 at 11:30 pm

I honestly do not get the Beyoncé hype. Unfortunately, she can do no wrong in the eyes of her fans. Lately, it has been competition with Mrs. West for the title of Naked Champion. To think Jay Z left the house with his wife dressed like that. Veeeeery loooooong hiss.

19. Annie

May 14, 2015 at 10:25 am

I love Cher but that outfit mehn LOL! She looks like a chicken that they poured hot water and about plucking off the feathers. I still love you Cher. Loool!