Style

Media Personality Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi Launches Her Very Own Shoe Line Called ‘Gbemisoke’

Clipboard 1Media personality Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi has branched out into the business of fashion by launching a line of shoes called ‘Gbemisoke’.

She shared the good news on Instagram and while we didn’t see it coming, a lot more celebrities have been branching out into the fashion world from Genevieve Nnaji’s ‘St. Genevieve’ line to Agbani Darego’s ‘AD by Agbani Darego’.

Now we have ‘Gbemisoke’ by Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi.

1 2 3 4

She explained the drive behind her new enterprise by saying:

Hands up if you were ever taken to Balogun market or any other market as a child to find new school shoes or “Christmas shoes” .
My mom would hold my hand tight and we would go from stall to stall looking for nice shoes.
I did not like the process at all. The market was rowdy , noisy and the shoe seller would always push my feet into the shiny ,patent (and almost always tight) shoes and say “it’s your size ! Fine girl , Fine shoe!”
Meanwhile my poor toes would be crying I also had lovely aunties who lived abroad and they would send me beautiful shoes BUT they never fit! I guess they just never asked what my shoe size was , they would buy the shoes thinking I would “grow into them” not knowing that my feet were “already grown” LOL
When I turned 12, I refused to go shopping with mom for clothes or shoes. I went with friends or my young Aunt Lola. Clothes shopping were a breeze but shoe shopping in Lagos was very annoying and disappointing. There were lots of pretty shoes but they never had my size or they would have a size smaller.
The shoes they had in my size were usually ugly and looked like canoes When I travelled to the U.S for school, one of the things I was extra excited about was going to the mall!
I would spend hours at the mall looking for the perfect shoes.
As usual , finding clothes were easy but shoes were still tough to find.
Many times I would end up buying shoes that were a size smaller all because I liked them and they didn’t have my size . I would stuff my feet in the shoes and endure pain. At least the shoes were pretty When I did find shoes in my size , I would buy them in every color I could find! The hassle of finding cute shoes when you wear a U.S11 in shoes !
It was much easier in the summer because I could buy smaller sizes and get away with them because they were open toe styles or sling backs . The winter months were not funny When I moved back to Nigeria, I faced the shoe issue again. I would go to boutiques and see shoes that were easily $30 in the U.S (N4,000-N4,500 due to the dollar rate at that time) being sold here in Lagos for N20,000!!

Her shoot for the shoes was photographed by Tope Horpload and directed by Kunbi Oyelese of April by Kunbi.

***

Will you be buying?

Photo Credit: Instagram/Gbemioo

1. tunmi

May 18, 2015 at 2:33 pm

The photographs certainly look nice

2. corolla

May 18, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Kudos to her.

3. nene

May 18, 2015 at 2:47 pm

good photography and good business venture. well done

4. bruno FIERCE

May 18, 2015 at 2:54 pm

gbemi I love u cause u are fierce (just like me) but pls these shoes look basic. everyday flats I see on the streets. I hope u give us something more unique and interesting and different as this shoe line grows.
    I’m even afraid to ask how much they cost.

5. xty

May 18, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I just luv ds lady……….God bless ur hustle!!!!!

6. Mymind

May 18, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Nice going Gbemi! 🙂

7. sha sha

May 18, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Goodnews for a fellow size 11 wearer,im definitely buying

8. olola

May 18, 2015 at 3:54 pm

She launched her shoe line with 2 pairs of shoes ??? I just went to Konga and there are only 2 pairs of shoes there……..

9. hafizu

May 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm

good nices

10. Chidiadi Madumere

May 18, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I see her all the time at Mannyxville Restaurant with friends. She must be such a foodie *smile! The “20,000! Had me reeling with laughter. The price for shoes in Nigeria is not for the faint hearted oh! I’ll definitely buy.

11. aaewhy

May 18, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I just love gbemi. Story of my life with the eko trips and still not get my size wish I had magic to make it shrink lol. So am guessing this new line will have big sizes Yaaaaah

12. Agbeke

May 18, 2015 at 4:34 pm

This total experience is sooo me! I wear a US 11. (big feet gang) endured so many yaps from aunties and my mum and even earned the horrible nickname “no size in London”…I didn’t start buying nice shoes until I got into Uni because I could then wear shoes for older people….great job and kudos to you Gbemi! thanks for doing something for team big feet. Hope they aren’t too pricey sha and hope you have trendier designs. I will definitely be checking them out. God bless your hustle.

13. nectar

May 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Wow…#teambigsize. Having a big fit aint so fun at alls.

14. Funmilola

May 18, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I’m all for good new business ideas but the design of those shoes are everywhere in lagos,I expect something different and unique. All the best

15. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm

You size 11s are complaining when your “elders” like me with my size 12 feet are in the room??

I kid, I kid. And yes, I feel the struggle. Nobody can tell me today that I have too many shoes because I remember the days of traveling to Aba so the shoemakers in their workshops behind Ariaria market could manufacture bespoke shoes after my mother gave up on being able to shop for me in regular stores. Imagine being always passed up as a flower girl because the bride just couldn’t get the required shoes in your size? My sister, God love her, kept being offered my spot…

Fair play to Gbemi if she’s embarking on this venture but I hope she keeps the designs as pretty and fab as are found in the smaller sizes because that’s the biggest issue I find with larger sized shoes. Many high-street offerings tend to look hideous.

16. Tosin

May 18, 2015 at 7:25 pm

nice.

17. Nia

May 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Good concept Gbemi

18. Toks Akisanya

May 18, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Aburo mi, God will bless your hustle and make you bigger. Proud of you and good luck.

• Anonymous

May 19, 2015 at 6:38 am

Hmmm, Gbemi is your aburo?,you see, the famzing has begun. I’m sorry but I just had to do this. Toks you know the ladies love you in a unique way *wink*

19. dee

May 19, 2015 at 12:50 am

Congratulations mama. What happened to ini edo’s shoe line?

20. oy

May 19, 2015 at 2:55 pm

congrats girl.

21. faji

May 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

hmmm these flats look straight from china though… how can she launch a shoe line with flats and with only two shoes at that matter. we can go to payless and buy them for 9.99 $14.99 tops. pls her next line should be heels abi big feets no dey wear heels?

22. www.konga.com/prinziah-big-feet 08133415730

July 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Nice idea…. but i got it first! 😀 btw, why is she complaining? she wears a size 11! I wear a 12/13. lol! talk about bigger feet.