News

Thank You Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala…New African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina releases Statement

BellaNaija.com

akinwumi-adesinaThe news that Nigeria’s immediate past Minister of Agriculture had been selected as the President of the African Development Bank was met with celebration and now, Akinwumi Adesina has released an official statement.

Read below.

I am deeply humbled and honoured to have been entrusted with the great responsibility of leading the African Development Bank (AfDB) at a time that presents such great opportunities and also profound challenges for our continent.

The AfDB campaign and election has been an incredible experience, and I am grateful to all those who supported me along the way and to each and every person with whom I’ve met and exchanged ideas and hopes for inclusive economic growth on our continent throughout this process.

I am thankful to have been given the chance to travel to so many parts of the continent – small states, fragile states, and large states across Africa – to feel the pulse of African leaders and peoples. I met with young people and women – Africa’s greatest assets, with small- and medium-sized enterprises, and with Africa’s business leaders. From rural areas to burgeoning cities, I saw vast opportunities for a greater and more inclusive Africa. I am hopeful and excited about the prospect of building on the great work of President Donald Kaberuka at the AfDB.

Together, we can build a stronger and more prosperous Africa, with smart infrastructure, energy for all, a strong private sector, new economic opportunities that will deliver quality jobs and hope for millions of youths and women, revival of Africa’s rural economies to lift many out of poverty, and regional integration for shared prosperity.

The shareholders of the AfDB from African and non-African countries gave strong support, for which I am deeply grateful. Together, we will build a new Africa with inclusive and green growth.

I commend all my colleagues who contested for the position, their countries, and supporters. They conducted great campaigns. They are all great assets to Africa.
I am truly humbled by the support of many Presidents across every region of Africa. Africa is my home.

I would like to give my special thanks to a few people in particular without whom this success would not have been possible: former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for his nominating me, his confidence, and his steadfast, enthusiastic support; President Muhammadu Buhari for his strong endorsement and rallying support for us; and Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for her vital role and tremendous effort in delivering this successful outcome. Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, as Nigeria’s Finance Minister, worked passionately for our campaign, and our success would have been impossible without her tireless work shepherding support among many of the esteemed Finance Ministers and Governors at the AfDB.

Our leaders rallied behind us in a historic display of unity of purpose and common commitment. I would like to extend my sincerest thanks to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, former Head of State General Abdulsalami Abubakar, former Head of State General Yakubu Gowon, former Vice President Namadi Sambo, and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who worked determinedly to build support behind my candidacy among African leaders.

I would especially like to thank all the people of Africa for your prayers, your well-wishes, and your belief in me. I am truly humbled by the outpouring of support I have received from all across the continent. I promise to work hard with all African governments to deliver more inclusive economic growth across our beautiful continent.

1. babygiwa

May 31, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Dr. Adesina keeps mentioning inclusive economic growth, I am happy he knows that Africa is blessed but the economic growth in some regions only represent a minority group of people. And if we are going to launch Africa to the world and hope for a true development, we must ensure that economic policies and benefits are for ALL of us.

2. Politbru

June 1, 2015 at 12:12 am

Are there lessons to learn here? I doubt because, we are so steeped in propaganda to the extent we don’t care what colossal damage we dent on our collective aspiration in our bid to win, be it election or accolades. It beggars belief that Nigerians (APC propagandists) went as far as reporting Goodluck Jonathan’s wife to ICC for criminal breaches at the heat of electioneering campaigns. Unbeknown to them, the Nigerian government, an institution which they have now inherited (a continuum) would need to clear its name. How can people overheat the polity over an inconsequential, non-elective position as that of a first lady. Nigeria, I bow for una!!!

3. lacey

June 1, 2015 at 12:30 am

Seen! Thank you! Go and face your position. The Agric loans that GEJ and his cohorts collected! We know you tried during your tenure, but the local farmers did not get the loans! I respect you,but ADB or anything African is no big deal! If Mugabe can be president of AU,then I am not really interested.
    Please after impacting Africa with excellent workable Agric policies! Then let your work speak for you. Thank you because I know you are capable.

4. Tosin

June 1, 2015 at 1:15 am

We are glad.

5. nnenne

June 1, 2015 at 3:54 am

What did I take away from your writing/speech?
    Together, we can build a formidable country.
    We must lay aside political parties, tribe, religion and other variables to make this happen.

Congratulations Dr. Adesina.

6. Tony

June 1, 2015 at 8:50 am

@ Lacey & Nnenne, i am glad to see bloggers talking smart. Africa as a continent has deep rooted issues more profound that meets the eye. The point and fact that Mugabe is head of AU says less of the continent.
    In any case lets stop the much critic and pick out the positive promise of working together to build something strong and pushing political and religious divide to the curb.

7. Enkay

June 1, 2015 at 10:13 am

Fine Man.

8. Amiira

June 1, 2015 at 5:59 pm

So from all the smart issues the commenters raised, nah only ‘Fine man’ you could spit here. Haba

• Emakpor Armstrong

June 4, 2015 at 4:37 am

Homesty and integrity pays. This is one of the ministers that is free from controversies and scandals. As a farmer in my little way and member of farmers associations have benefitted from Akinwunmi’s revolution and transformation programmes. Never in the history of Nigeria that peasant farmers can have access to loans through Bank of Agriculture without collateral and other subsidized agricultural support imputs. Dr. Adeshina Akinwunmi has paid his dues, it is now time of payback and let the honour duely fit whom the KING delight to honour. Sail on with your winning matra.

9. Prince elisha

June 2, 2015 at 11:45 am

Thank God and thank God for GEJ for makin it possible for u.