Music

Do You Remember This #ThrowbackTrack? Listen to Da Trybe – Oya

Deji S

Trybesmen - Oya - BellaNaija - June - 2015 (2)

Is it safe to say Trybesmen are the pioneers of hip-hop in Nigeria?

We throw it back this week to 2001, the days of baggy jeans and over-sized jerseys, the year Trybesmen released “Oya” – ten rappers spitting for like 30 seconds each. The track and video proved that they were all about artistry.

The Trybesmen was a Nigerian hip-hop group with Eldee, Kaboom and Freestyle as the original members.

“Oya” was a collaboration of all the artistes on the label which were Sasha P, 2 Shotz, Blaise, Dr Sid, Oladele, Double O, Dr Timi and Myst. {They were called Da’Trybe } With the tight chorus, the dance steps and the hard bars, it wasn’t surprising when it became a hit and stayed for 19 weeks on the Nigerian video charts.

Nigerian rap history won’t be complete without this track.

Beremole, oya baraje!

Listen to the track below!

[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Trybesmen-Oya-BellaNaija-June-2015.mp3]

Download

Watch!

1. Austar

June 18, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I hope the video vixens and dancers of today will watch this video and realize that you don’t have to dress half naked before you can dance in a music videos. The dancers in this video were fully clothed and still rocked.

• Ade

June 18, 2015 at 10:47 pm

That was my jam back then. Tribesmen deserves some real credit. I will forever play their songs, bcos they stood out in everything.

2. jojo

June 18, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Nice. Good old days.

3. MamaY

June 18, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I love this song. It just brought back loads of memories…..LD, free style blaise, sasha, Sid….great song and great artistes. We need a remake maybe……….

4. cheryl

June 18, 2015 at 4:35 pm

mheenn.. dis na real throw back mheenn, i rocked dis song dat year with my “walk man” my bro destroyed d cassete then cos he felt d lyrics are too raw hahahahaha, i cried heennn

5. Demashi

June 18, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Wow, looks at SID looking small and skinny. Big ups to the trybesmen. Remember when they were just coming up back in the day in Unilag

6. tunmi

June 18, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Blaise!!!!!

7. Gbola

June 18, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Love this song! Still have it. @cheryl I can send it to you via mail if you drop your email addy….

8. Na We We

June 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Correct jam…. the joint still tight even today

9. Person

June 19, 2015 at 4:13 am

Baba Anino!!! LOL. Dang. Good old days men!

10. like

June 19, 2015 at 5:23 am

Took me farther than this. I remember plenty nonsense too.. Major throwback..

11. Olori Tari

June 19, 2015 at 6:50 am

OYA BARAJE…BEREMOLE! Good times. Look at Sasha’s body and ‘fit…she was werking it. I used to like that Sid’s way of talking and the one I loved most..Eldee and his ‘phoneh’. I’m trying to remember if that’s what skyrocketed my love for Eldee then and I’ve been on it till today. Legend that man ❤️

12. nene

June 19, 2015 at 8:24 am

great song! even till date. another great one was “shake body” half of these guys are married now, freestyle just got married too, tiki is a dentist, sid is married, elder too, 2shotz, etc.

13. who's business

June 19, 2015 at 10:15 am

Good Old days. Beautiful track..
    Then came, plenty things, 2 short ft Big lo see that thing, then sasha Adara..
    Songs that would live in the hearts of those days.

14. Sukie

June 21, 2015 at 5:12 pm

even in 2001; Blaise and ElDee sounded so good…. those two were way ahead of their time ….. Jam for ages!!

15. The Bull

July 3, 2015 at 4:53 am

wow.. see Dr. Sid..lol.. this was my jam

16. kiente karla

June 5, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I have been searching for this song for a while. They indeed are the pioneer of hip hop in nigeria. Its a shane such a great group went under. I wish they could have a come back for old time’s sake, just the original members of the group