Career

Ife Tokan: 5 Things University Students Need To Know

Mr Ifektive

Do you remember what you learnt in your first year at University?
I think I am going too far. Do remember what you learnt last semester?
If you studied something the night before and it comes out in the exam and you do well, does that make you smart?
If you did not study something for exam the night before and it comes out in the exam does that make you dumb?
University can be a very exciting, insightful, and stressful. But how do we maximise our experience at university?

I have seen a lot of students who come to University and have gone to classes and maybe a few social gatherings, but that is it. I strongly believe that you are not just in University just for the degree. In fact your degree is the minimum acquisition you get when you go to university. There are many skills, achievements, and experience that you can and should be striving to reach. I believe to get the maximum out of your time at University you should aspire to do the following things.

This is a list of my top 5 goals outside getting a degree:

Take an Investment Risk
Any investment opportunity you spot at university will most likely be risk free. Most people at university have no dependent, the worst that could happen is that you lose the money invested. Then you run back to your parents for pocket money. University is the perfect opportunity to test the waters without “drowning”. There is no such thing as a wasted investment there is only lessons learnt.

Network
Your Network Is Your Networth. Everyone you meet at University has the potential to form part of your future business network. If you are proactive you will learn to align yourself with the people who you see future potential in. If we look at any industry or business, you notice that most people knew each other right from University or secondary school. This trend is more noticeable in politics. University is the cheapest networking opportunity you will ever have, this is because at university we are all very humble and open to making new friends because “nobody is a somebody” yet. People spend a lot of time and money to get into proximity with “important people”.

Develop Extracurricular Skills
University is probably the last time in your life when you actually own your time (i.e you do not work for someone else); why not invest in something free like different skills? University gives you ample opportunities to acquire new skills, there are so many different societies that offer various soft and technical skills. So many people develop many different skills such as trading, skydiving, public speaking etc. If you do not know how to make hair, learn. If you have always wanted to act, join the theater or acting club. If you never had the opportunity to learn new language, you can take a course.

Find Your Passion
A lot of us go to university not knowing what we want to do after. Sometimes, we do degrees enforced by our parents or peer pressure (this is absolutely fine). University is a perfect opportunity to find out what you want to do in the future, because you are away from your parents and your comfort zone. This only works when you apply yourself to trying new things. I have seen many people come to university and start a career in something completely different such as becoming a makeup artist, photographer, saxophonist etc. At the end of the day you will enjoy work more if you are passionate about it. Yes, this has been said by everyone and their mother and may be perceived as a cliche, but the secret about cliches is that “they remind and reassure us that we’re not alone, that others have trod this ground long ago”Miguel Syjuco.

Achieve Good Grades
Needless to say this article wouldn’t be complete without this section. You need at least a 2.1 to maximise your university experience. This is very much achievable with good planning, discipline, and consistency. Having said that, your grades in NO WAY determine how successful you will be in life. Your attitude TO life is what determines your altitude IN life.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Michael Zhang

"Ife was listed in the Top 100 Outstanding Graduates by the Future Leaders Magazine, UK. He has interned in top global brands like Accenture, PwC and Deloitte. He is a big believer in giving back to the community through any capacity possible. He describes himself in three words: Purposeful, Passionate and Proactive. Ife loves building and mentoring future leaders." Twitter: ife_tokan LinkedIn Ife Ade Tokan

1. @edDREAMZ

June 20, 2015 at 5:50 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Mehn yu really hit the nail on the head..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. Chindayaa

June 20, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Bella naija pls wat are the criterias to write a colum for yu guys

• Damilare Aiki

June 21, 2015 at 12:49 am

Please send an email to features (at) bellanaija (dot) com 🙂

• Ebony

June 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm

One is knowing the word “criteria” is plural and doesn’t require “s”

3. A Real Nigerian

June 20, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I’m sorry, but uhmm, what’s the point of this article? Just writing for writing’s sake, huh?
    Please, we need more orgasm articles like de la Vega’s, not this.

4. chuxx

June 20, 2015 at 6:02 pm

nice write-up

5. phummy

June 20, 2015 at 6:16 pm

This is the perfect write up……….wish I knew all this when I was in school……Still gonna give myself the chance to try it over…..wouldn’t want to miss out***thank*

6. Irene

June 20, 2015 at 6:18 pm

nice one

7. EllesarisEllendil

June 20, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Being Pressured by your Parents into doing a degree is absolutely not fine! I have spent 5 very miserable years studying Law. Thank God it ends this year.

Please stop doing this to your children.

• Marv

June 20, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I know that feeling!

• Tosin

June 23, 2015 at 3:48 pm

there’s room for a lot of discussion, debate, development around this issue. thanks for bringing it up. keep bringing it up, you may save a lot of lives 🙂

8. opeyemi

June 20, 2015 at 7:35 pm

A good write up and advice to those out there.

9. Trendysturvs Blog

June 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Nice write up

Check Out Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-bello’s New Look

trendysturvsblog.com/2015/06/check-out-senator-iyabo-obasanjo-bellos-new-look/

10. Towsyn

June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am

It’s quite unfortunate that people go through university without using the opportunity to network. In fact, networking helped me to achieve good grades. That mentality of staying indoors your whole university life because you want to get good grades doesn’t quite work. People need to learn that social skills is what will help you land your graduate job. I know people who got 2.2 or even 3rd glass that basically talked their way through life and landed themselves great jobs. Obviously it’s a lot easier to get an application through with a 2.1 or a 1st but it doesn’t mean you won’t succeed.
    Thanks for this article Ife. People don’t realise how important this is.

11. Fiõda

June 22, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for the insight! Off to uni. this year.

12. tuush

June 23, 2015 at 6:34 am

i am in a medical school,n taking sewing classes cos dats my passion,n i still want to go to make up school…Good thing is my education is not suffering..but its being stressful..but dis is the only time i have to learn all this..#learn while u still can,the time is now#

13. uknown

June 23, 2015 at 5:43 pm

You wrote well. But, did you do any of these things at all

14. uknown

June 23, 2015 at 5:47 pm

And if you did them , please, tell us your story. For example, I created this while in UNI THIS or UNI THAT . That’s what we want

Mr Ifektive

June 27, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hello Uknown, yes i did/do everything mentioned in this article. Actually I am about to finish my undergraduate degree in Finance, Accounting and Management, i will be graduating next month (so excited!)

Taking Risky Investments: I have tried a number of things at university, I will share a couple, I have been party of a group that organised student parties and concerts at university, I took a course learn how to trade the forex market (i am not yet a professional but getting there lol), I run my e-commerce business selling holidays, watches, online courses etc. I love a well diverse portfolio.

Network: I attend at least two networking events every year, I also organise networking events for young professionals. At the moment I working on organising the first UK African Youth Gala for sometime in November (watch out for it it gonna take the continent by storm)

Develop Extra-Curricular Skills: I was the president of the African society at my university two years ago, I learnt a effective leadership skills, team working skills and problem solving skills to name a few.

Finding Your Passion: When I started university 4 years ago I thought I wanted to become an accountant because i have alway been very good at accounting from secondary school. When I did my placement year at PwC in Jersey I realised that accounting wasn’t my thing. I have passion for business and helping people get to the next level in their business, career etc. That is one the reasons I started writing articles.

Achieving Good Grades: I got my results on Monday and I achieved a 2.1 (the family was over the moon). I wont lie my final semester at university was tough because I was focusing on other things that interested me like writing, networking and reading books. Getting a 2.1 was a breath of fresh air.

Now I know it may seem like I do a lot or I am doing a lot. I will completely honest with you the secret is i surround my self with people who motivate and believe in me and I am not afraid to fail because fail is the only route to success so far we learn from it.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, feel free to ask any more questions.