Career

Meet Abuja-Based Female Building Painter: Anih Blessing John

BellaNaija.com

Anih Blessing John BellaNaijaSeeing a female building painter in Nigeria is an anomaly. This is why Anih Blessing John‘s story is such a special one, as she is thriving in the male-dominated field.

Anih became a painter after she left secondary school, as her parents could not afford to give her money to further her education, Vanguard reports.

“After my secondary School education in Enugu State, I came to Abuja to live with my elder sister since there was nobody to help further my education.

The only way to survive was to get something that brings me money. I ventured into jobs like selling plumbing materials and phone booth business, and then I met a friend called Zaccheus. We call him “The Lion”, who was into painting and I decided to join him and he taught me the job. I’ve been doing this for the past two years and I love my job because it brings me satisfaction.

I need money to enable me to meet my needs and the way I know I can get it is through hard work,” she said.

Anih also stated that she would encourage other females to go into painting, as it is a great source of income, and working hours are flexible.

“I would encourage my female siblings to go into painting because apart from the fact that you do not have to go to work every day, it also affords you time to do other things since you are not working for anyone and you also make a lot of money from painting. For instance, I could make what some people make in a month in just a week.”
When asked whether she was afraid of falling while painting tall buildings, she said “Everyone doing this job is at the risk of falling; not just me, even the men. It takes the mind to do a job like this. I believe if these men can climb and not fall, I can also do it.”
Anih believes that women should not wait for men to empower them financially.
“I don’t feel comfortable seeing some women sitting at home, waiting for a man to open a shop for them or to provide for their basic needs. I would therefore, advise and encourage women to go into painting because what a man can do as long as he can do it with his hands, we women too are capable; it only takes hard work and determination,” she said.
She has big dreams that in the next 5 years, she would have made greater strides in the painting profession, big projects to work on as a major contractor. By so doing, she hopes to realize enough money to take a break to further her education.
When Anih isn’t painting, she loves to write in her spare time, and is currently working on her first novel.
Photo Credit: Vanguard

1. @edDREAMZ

June 20, 2015 at 5:54 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    “””I believe if these men can climb and not fall, I can also do it.””” wow, what a determined lady.. Bigger yu i pray though
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. itiswell

June 20, 2015 at 5:59 pm

God Bless you

3. Scared homosapien

June 20, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I don’t know this lady, but I’m veryyyyy proud of her. You are indeed a blessing to yourself, your family and to the world. God bless and enlarge your coast!

4. Desire

June 20, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Way to go anih ????

5. Manny

June 20, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Such a smart young woman. Her head is screwed on right and I see her going places.

6. amaa

June 20, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Way to go girl God bless you handwork

7. Diamond

June 20, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Now this is the News I love to hear or read..
    Bless you Ma’am

8. mey

June 20, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Go girl…do not set limits for yourself, do not think like everyone, express yourself…and the newest one by ms adichie..forget about being likeable..just be yourself..God bless u ma’am

9. BLIZZY

June 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Hello BN fans. I’m a mechanic by profession (FEMALE MECHANIC). I repair caterpillar engines 2 b precise. My advice to young aspiring ladies out there is to shun people who only have negative impact on their lives. Trust me if u do be ready to go places. Tnx.

10. ATL's finest

June 21, 2015 at 5:26 am

God bless her and every other female out there hustling in the right direction. I honestly wish I was such a handy lady. I have friends that can tell what’s wrong with their cars right away , chabge their oil, fix beds etc unlike me, I just drive one or my boo does it all. #whatashame#. Anih U are a ✊ ★! Kudos and way to go dear.

11. Strit Kredibility

June 21, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I read this post yesterday and i was so inspired. Even if I tried, i couldn’t use the like button more than once. I thought the post will be lavish with comments when i revisit it, laye, whosai, stories like these dont make sense to the average Nigerian, it doesn’t titillate. its superficial value is non existent. This is the kind of stories that should get people writing comments, show support and “pray for her’ but no it doesn’t involve marriage, and relationship gone sour, the woman is too real and not worth a sizable mention. O ma se o. When you want our women and young girls to come out and support their own, they will be missing in action. Can you blame them, a common painter l’asan, we are talking of celebs and a common painter is showing face. ja jor. Mtxchw. Anih Blessing John, you are my celeb

12. tunmi

June 21, 2015 at 3:56 pm

It’s not just what she’s doing, it’s the way she says her words. She focuses on encouraging and she keeps it simple.

13. kate

June 21, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Anih you are a wonderful lady just like me… So hard working and determine to go far in life…

14. fleur

June 21, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I applaud you lady. My recommendation is find 3-4 other female staff, train them and run a female painting crew. You know when we get into any profession, we steal the show because perfection is our middle name. If you need money to start, ask Bella to start a gofundme for you. I will contribute to it. Excellent. Instead of prostitution or trying to be a second or third or fourth wife, this is what our women should do. For those of you painting houses in Nigeria – please give her a chance to excel. That woman’s job is going to be so fleek, y’all be wondering why you ever had a male painter. I paint for leisure too so I know what I am talking about!

15. jaguarnana

June 21, 2015 at 11:03 pm

I love this….more greese to your elbow

16. love shola

June 22, 2015 at 9:19 am

i love u, and God bless u, is hard to see people like u some may have choose go into prostitution. I am proud of u better days ahead.

17. Ada Nnewi

June 22, 2015 at 9:43 am

I absolutely love her..

18. adelegirl

June 22, 2015 at 11:58 am

I am impressed! I would totally hire her as I am partial to encouraging women in business and other sectors – so important that women stick up for each other. I will be needing a painter soon, wish I could get her contact details as I am also resident in the capital city.

19. Self-Sufficient

June 22, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Well done, Anih. The limit is beyond the skies. I hope that you use protective gear while painting because some of the paints release fumes that could lead to long term health effects including cancer, lung and kidney disease e.t.c.

All the best, Anih.

20. Lariat Alhassan

June 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Hi will like to get in touch with her I am also a female painter and a paint manufacturer based in abuja with Larclux paints as my brand .she can get intouch with me on 08055085144 so we can collaborate tnx

21. ada

June 22, 2015 at 3:44 pm

@BN is it possible for her contact to be shared?

22. Engr. Joel Onyema

June 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Anih Blessing John.
    It is well wit u. Though I don’t knw u, I’ll keep praying for u.
    I am a building engineer, we hardly meet skilled female workers in our field of profession.
    I love u, ur aspirations & ur dreams.
    Keep going ur God is wit u.

23. hillary

March 14, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I am the CEO/ MD of Nonhil Electrical construction and house wiring service Ltd. I base in Abuja and my company has competent Electrical Engineer that are skillful in handling works In building and projects. If you need a top quality job, please contact us on 08184003152. Thank you.

24. chukwu Esther

June 27, 2017 at 10:03 am

I know Blessing very well, she is a very nice and dedicated lady . she could have furthered her education but resources has been a barrier. But I believe in her that some day she will achieve this dream. Another of her hobby is writing, when we were living together, when u wake up around 1-3 am she is still awake writing. May God bless all these her efforts and grant her her desires and dreams. A.en