Style

Tyra Banks Says Models “Have to be slimmer than slim”, Be Social Media Savvy & Compete to Make It Big Today

Tyra Banks - BellaNaija - June2015001

Supermodel, Tyra Banks has since made it known that after her exit from the runway, she will now spend more time inspiring and coaching young model hopefuls through America’s Next Top Model and more. One way she is definitely doing that is often sharing inspiring stories about her career, role models and inspiration in general via her social media pages.

Her latest topic? The pressure young models of today are under to get skinny, compete to get jobs, be social media savvy and more. She posted this as part of a ThrowBack photo showing a much younger version of herself backstage at a YSL show.

Tyra Banks - BellaNaija - June2015

She posted;

Models have so much pressure today. They have to look good on AND off the set. They have to arrive backstage at fashion shows looking and dressed as if they are already ON a runway. They have to be slimmer than slim, skinnier than skinny. They have to compete with actresses, recording artists and reality stars for magazine covers and ad campaigns. They have to have tons of followers on social media to book top notch jobs. And they have to do selfies that make them look relatable, but not TOO relatable, because then people may comment that they don’t understand “Why the heck us THAT girl a friggin model??!!!!

Models have been said to think and re-think their social media posts so as not to seem ‘un-model like’ for designers and brands who want to use them for campaigns, shows etc.

She continued;

When I was a young model, yeah, we had to think about our weight, but not like today. I think I was a size 6, not a size 0. And backstage at fashion shows, I looked like this photo you’re looking at. Yep, that’s a teenage me right before a YSL show was about to start in sneakers, plaid flannel and bad jeans. Mr. Yves Saint Laurent could care less how I looked when I arrived to his show But when I hit his stage, he expected excellence. And I made sure I delivered that every time I was chosen to walk his amazing runway.

I’m sending love and hugs to all working, aspiring and super models worldwide. You all have lots to live up to. And I’m here cheering for you every single day. Strong Girls. #ThrowBackThursday #ThrowBackTyTy.

We love Tyra’s more inspiring side!

Photo Credit: @TyraBanks (Instagram)

1. bruno FIERCE

June 26, 2015 at 2:23 pm

America’s next top model fans,
    YOU WANNA BE ON TOP!!!!!!!! (tyra banks voice)the theme song always gets me pumped.
    na na na na na na
    na na na na na na

season 22 has been announced. the pictures of the new contestants have been released. guys and girls. I’m so excited. this season is going to be fierce. I hope a gay guy finally wins cause lets face it, the modelling world belongs to the gays.

• polypoly

June 26, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I was rooooooting for U, we were all rooting for U….lol
      Gurl bye!! gay men are well involved with the modeling world true but the male modeling world doesn’t belong to them. nah boo, the gay male models have to be macho and serve pure butch realness. CK, Tommy, Givency, Sean John, etc aint here for no runway Queens. Sadly, ANTM has always casted messy Queens that have no hope of booking major male (not androgynous) campaigns.

I am tired of this co-ed crap, let It go tyra. I want a contest with all girls please. no more guys, its just boring and Americans are not watching. Cast people like “Eva the Diva”, Kenya, brittni, etc; girls that have that reality tv personality mixed with modeling potential.

• Michael

June 27, 2015 at 9:53 am

Love the theme song, uh na na na na ,wanna be on top, sounds sexual when I think if it now

2. Funmi

June 26, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Bruno Fierce just shut the hell up

• bruno FIERCE

June 26, 2015 at 3:03 pm

@funmi.
      is that how u talk to ur father? EWU (pete edochie voice)

• EllesarisEllendil

June 26, 2015 at 4:32 pm

ROTFL I was not experring this.

3. dobzi

June 26, 2015 at 2:41 pm

She’s very inspiring

4. Naira

June 26, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I’m a bit confused about the headline. There’s a difference between Tyra saying models have to (Tyra demanding) be this and that versus Tyra highlighting/discussing the common trends in today’s modeling industry

5. nene

June 27, 2015 at 12:39 pm

tyra biko shut up. she’s pretentious, but luckily for her she made it away from the modelling industry through handwork. she was always competing with other models in her days and wasn’t all for “girl power” back then.

6. honeymix...

July 1, 2015 at 10:48 am

Honestly, I do not really think @bruno FIERCE is really gay. He/She is only playing this to make people suspicious.