News

Arunma Oteh Appointed World Bank VP & Treasurer

BellaNaija.com

Arunma-Oteh

Arunma Oteh

Former director-general of the Security Exchange Commission (SEC), Arunma Oteh, has been appointed vice-president and treasurer of the World Bank.
Her appointment was confirmed by the president of the World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, in a press statement, Cable reports.

The statement reads:
I am pleased to announce the appointment of Arunma Oteh as VP and Treasurer of the World Bank.

Arunma, a Nigerian national, was most recently the Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission of Nigeria. Appointed to a five-year term by the President of Nigeria in 2010, she led the transformation of the country’s capital markets industry into a major global presence.

She was a member of the Board of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) and the Chairperson of the Africa Middle East Regional Committee of IOSCO. “Prior to joining the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of Nigeria, Arunma was Group Vice President, Corporate Services, at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB).

In this role, she oversaw a number of departments, including human resources, information and communications technology, and institutional procurement. From 2001 to 2006 she held the role of AfDB Group Treasurer, where she led AfDB’s fundraising and capital market activities across the world.

Earlier roles at the AfDB, which she joined in 1992, included trading room management, investment portfolio coverage, and public sector lending. She also held other positions in capital markets and lending during the course of her career at the AfDB. Arunma began her career in 1985 at Centre Point, where she executed debt and equity offerings in the Nigerian capital markets.

She earned her Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of Nigeria and her Masters of Business Administration from Harvard University. As VP and Treasurer, Arunma will manage and lead a large and diverse team responsible for managing more than $150 billion in assets.

Her top priorities will be to: (i) maintain the World Bank’s global reputation as a prudent and innovative borrower, investor and risk manager; (ii) manage an extensive client advisory, transaction and asset management business for the Bank; (iii) engage, in her capacity as one of the World Bank’s key representatives, with outside stakeholders including global private sector financial institutions, the financial media and the sovereign debt and reserve managers in client countries, as well as ratings agencies; and (iv) collaborate extensively with the Finance Partners throughout the WBG, including with IFC and MIGA, expanding shared approaches, in particular around innovative financing for development and for key new projects.

Ms. Oteh was selected to this position through an international competitive search. Her appointment is effective on September 28, 2015.

Oteh took to Twitter to express her joy about her new appointment:

“A great time to join the World Bank given the innovative solutions it is deploying to end extreme poverty and ensure shared prosperity. “Thanks for your kind messages for my appointment as VP and Treasurer World Bank. Such an honor, so grateful to President Kim and the Board of World Bank, ” she tweeted.

1. Tunmi

July 24, 2015 at 1:51 pm

That’s gotta be more than 140 characters. At first I was wondering how she got all that in one tweet. Then I saw the two quotes.

Congratulations!!!! I shall definitely be following her.

2. Tai Omo Yoruba Nimi

July 24, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Kudos to you ma’am ,more Palm oil to your elbows..very well deserved . Keep flying the flag

3. hush hush

July 24, 2015 at 1:55 pm

GEJ identifying brains, Dullapo appointing his villagers without record!!!!!!

shading 1000%

• FasholasLover

July 24, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I think ehn? And they say the man was appointing incompetent people. The way GEJ & this woman were vilified. God save this country from hyenas in human form.

• Beeeee

July 24, 2015 at 2:14 pm

??????????????????????????????????????????

• Bus

July 24, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Yaradua appointed her.

• Beauty Ain't Cheap

July 24, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Yar Adua/GEJ one and the same. GEJ was pressurized to kick her out of office. Glad he resisted. All those criminals in the house of rep! Chei.

• ...just saying

July 25, 2015 at 6:23 am

Lol @ beauty ain’t cheap. GEJ didn’t have the balls to kick anyone out of office and GEJ and Yar’adua are soooooo not the same biko.

• oluseal

July 25, 2015 at 11:40 am

If only Goodluck had her brains.

4. Beeeee

July 24, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I love this beautiful woman…. They called them thieves yet they are making waves on their own merit???….Congrats!

5. red

July 24, 2015 at 2:00 pm

congrats pretty mama. all the best. do us proud o

6. *gbemi*

July 24, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Beauty+Brains!Well done ma’m

7. Great Lady

July 24, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Congratulations Ma. This is great.

8. pesh

July 24, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Congratulations ma’ More blessings… role model

9. xristybabes

July 24, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I receive this kin blessing!Amen.Congrats Ma’am

10. Mbaks

July 24, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Yiiippiiee, congrats ma’am.
    Dats how dem mofos alias anti-progressive women were misyarning when you finished your tenure @ SEC.
    GIVE THEM MORE TO TALK ABOUT MEHN.
    CONGRATS once again.

11. EllesarisEllendil

July 24, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Ahh the World Bank hires more insiders to continue our indebtedness to them. Congratulations to another African helping to sustain Bretton Woods.

• anonymous

July 24, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Why don’t you ask your Buhari who went to borrow 2.1 billion dollars without legislative approval and claims it is to be used to rebuild the north east that Buhari has not successfully reclaimed from Boko Haram. I hope when the legislature starts work they will question him about that loan.

• BuharisSideChick

July 25, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Don’t mind this hypocritical EllesarisEllendil.

• rose

July 24, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Thank you!!!!!! We need to sip aome coffee

12. Middle girl

July 24, 2015 at 5:04 pm

She’s Nigerian…and she’s doing well on the global stage. That’s all that matters ? diaryofmsgenesis.com

13. Zadera

July 24, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Congrats Pretty woman we celebrate your achievements.

14. Ebony

July 24, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Yassss. Nigerians tried to pull you down due to their insecurities and unwillingness to chalenge status quo. That was the foundation of the probe then.
    Wish you the very best in this new appointment

15. Tosin

July 24, 2015 at 8:21 pm

1. my $$mommy
    2. i hope she does a very solid job. too much poverty, too much undevelopment, low infrastructure, after all these years.

16. etanoma andy

July 24, 2015 at 9:53 pm

The World Bank have made a great error! They suppose to get permission first from our former House of Reps!. Anyway, congrat Madam.

17. Jamce

July 24, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Where is Ndi Okereke? Where is Hon. Hembe and other NASS and SECOND people who were seeking to destroy her through a malicious probe of SEC issues of 2008 prior to her appointment. Genuine Merit and Integrity can never be dragged in the mud. Congrats Ms. Oteh. Keep shining

18. TOBI

July 25, 2015 at 11:18 am

There has to be more about this world bank appointment.

19. oluseal

July 25, 2015 at 11:41 am

If only Goodluck had her brains

20. melikey

July 25, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I celebrate u,woman of excellence

21. lacey

July 25, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Aruman Oteh was the most intelligent minister in GEJ cabinet who was appointed by Yardua not!She is a true product of Havard, not like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala! Kudos babes, higher levels! She reformed SEC.

22. happygogirl!

July 25, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Nonsense! See d way y’all are hailing and shaming those who probed her! Did she even heed to most of the calls made to her? I personally know an sss Guy who was part of some men deployed to arrest her once, and they ran into plenty money she was trying to hide den, and she asked dem to take all they could and let her go! You wont believe how much this guy stuffed in his suit! Am sure if it were allison maduekwe that was so appointed,you gguys would still say she was being accused wrongly, may god deliver us from our sentimental ways of thinking in Nigeria. Gej made sound appointments indeed. Mscheeew. My point is, being appointed vp world bank does not mean she’s a saint.

• happygogirls Friend.

July 29, 2015 at 11:55 am

Take some sugar.

23. Ms Arunma Oteh

January 12, 2016 at 10:08 pm

First, I am only seeing this posting today. Even though appreciate very much BellaNaija’s unique blog, I had not seen the posting and the really kind messages of congratulations that were posted by BellaNaija fans. Thanks so much for all your kind words. I remain humbled by my appointment as Treasurer of the World Bank and I am always proud to say that its is God’s doing and testimony to how God protects His own.

To ‘Happygogirl!’ – I am shocked at how you would blatantly attempt to damage my hard earned reputation. Please look back on my 31 year track record since I graduated from University and ask about me, you will know that I am someone of the highest levels of integrity because of my relationship with God and because of my upbringing. Fortunately, my battles against corruption and market abuses are widely known and covered for well meaning honest people to see. I had no problem risking my life to serve our great nation because I know that as a child of God, He will always protect me. As you know, your account of some SSS people deployed to arrest me is a figment of your imagination which you should deploy to better use than a failed attempt to damage my reputation. I have never stolen, have no reason to steal and will never do so. I have never been arrested by anyone. I come from a family that values character and integrity. I serve God fervently and nothing will stop me from trying to ensure that I end up in heaven. I am grateful to God for the opportunity to serve as World Bank Treasuer. I am the first African ever appointed to the position of Treasurer. Knowledgeable people know that the selection process for that position is very rigorous and that the World Bank or any entity of that stature appoints only people of the highest integrity to that position. I had considered ignoring your comment but decided that even if you are trying hard to hide behind social media that may be my response will cause you to be honest in the future and not just think it is a joke to post something that is so frivolous about a compatriot that you should be glad is making our nation proud. I hope that you will reflect deeply on my response and stop being dishonest and frivolous. I thank God that the generality of our people are unlike you and that is why our nation will be great. I hope you learn that honesty pays. Thank you, Ms Arunma Oteh