News

BN Hot Topic: Giving Birth in America – Status Symbol or Necessity?

BellaNaija.com

dreamstime_s_5396789This week, news filtered through that a 34-year-old named Edith went into labour with her first child on the 7th of May 2015. Just a few hours later, the mother, child and grandmother were all dead. According to the decreased grandmother’s brother;

“The doctor said my elder sister died of shock after realising that her daughter, Edith, had died during delivery. The father of the dead newborn baby, has travelled out of the country. I later reported the case to the police, who took an ambulance and followed us to the house.”

Click to read the full story via Saturday Punch.

It is stories such as this that are used to justify the spike in Nigerians travelling to the United States of America to give birth. On the other hand, each time we feature a story on a Nigerian celebrity who has given birth abroad, we get a bunch of comments criticising their decision. The USA and Canada are the only 2 “first world countries” which still permit citizenship by birth (Jus Soli). Conservative politicians in the USA and Canada are currently calling for this to change.

While we have a more detailed feature on birth tourism coming soon, we do know that;

• It is legal to give birth in the USA on a B1/B2 visa
  • Women who are able to present all documentation and evidence of financial capability are given visas and are able to pass the entry point
  • Women who lie at the embassy or border entry point about their intentions are frequently sent back
  • Women who do not pay their bills and take advantage of Medicare are often refused visa renewals
  • Increased demand has led to the creation of package deals targeted at Nigerian women including relatively low hospital bills, housing, transportation etc…

BellaNaija spoke to a number of parents who have given birth in the USA and here were the reasons for their decision

• “I wanted access to the best healthcare for my childbirth experience and we could afford it, so why not”
  • “I did it for the passport for my child, the stress of getting visas is too much”
  • “My husband and I planned our pregnancy around this…we saved religiously for over a year in order to afford it, eventually, we even had to ask my parents for money to help with additional bills”
  • “I am a student in the UK and my husband is on a work permit here as well. The British Government has made it clear that if you are not British or EU, there is no future for you here, we travelled to the US for childbirth so our son will not have to face all this wahala”

We also spoke to parents who decided to have their children in Nigeria

• “I have a US visa but the stress of travelling abroad to give birth is too much, I preferred to stay home where I had so much help and I enjoyed my experience”
  • “I was refused the visa 4 times, the last refusal, I was 7 and a half months pregnant, I just gave up”
  • “All these celebrities are follow follow, they are just doing it because other celebs do it, most of them cannot afford it, my husband and I cut our coat according to our size and had our baby in Naija”
  • “People are lying, if it is for healthcare, there are good hospitals in Nigeria, SA or even the UK, people are just going to America for the passport, I travelled while pregnant and came back to give birth at home”

So BellaNaijarians, we will love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Photo CreditGelpi | Dreamstime.com

1. wale

August 25, 2015 at 12:09 pm

i don’t understand why people are rushing to give birth in America, What if tomorrow Americas are no longer need on earth what now happens

• Anna

August 25, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Our generations and of our children would have passed on before that would happen if it ever will 😉

• Ibidun

August 25, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I will say this, having my kids in America was a medical necessity for me… The passport was just the cherry on the cake. When i went to the Us to give birth, i was diagnosed with a serious condition which the doctors there were surprised had not been communicated to me by my Drs in Nigeria. I’m not saying i didn’t carry out all necessary tests in Nigeria that would have easily revealed it or that i went to a local hospital. I was registered at one of the most expensive hospitals in lagos! Following the diagnosis i was monitored weekly, the level of care i received was unprecedented. At 31 weeks i was induced to have my son because going further in the pregnancy would be risky. He stayed in the nicu for 3 weeks while dedicated pediatricians took care of him and this is what saved his life. My people, i know without a doubt if i had stayed here, i would have miscarried and it would have been pegged down to ‘one of those things’ and i would have been told to pray and trust God and all the other religious things doctors in Nigeria can say to cover negligence. After that i decided i would give my children the best care. The fact that they get a blue passport out of it is just a plus for me. The rate at which mothers and their babies die in this country should not be overlooked because ‘afterall people give birth everyday’ no, people are also forced to walk away from the hospital without their wives or babies because of negligence. I have seen it happen. We don’t pray for such things of course but as long as i can afford it, i will do this for my next.

• ivy

August 25, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Thank God for your life and that of your baby. in my own case, i did lose my baby and almost lost my life and went into depression afterwards. that was 5years ago, i have 2 kids but i can’t forget my lovely baby, she would have been 6 yrs old now. I don’t trust Nigeria healthcare system especially when it comes to my kids, i double all drugs and diagnosis, because i don’t my sanity if anything happens to them. Am not God, i give him all the glory but Nigeria has taught me that prevention is better than cure. I had my kids in US not out abundant cash but for my children’s survival and my own sanity

• jide

August 26, 2015 at 1:31 am

Pele. I hope you paid your hospital bill before you left Nigeria sha. Or are you one of the oshofree Nigerians jacking my our taxess here.

• ChUch

August 25, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Wale na jelosi dey do you Darling. Deal with it.

2. Mystique

August 25, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Not really status symbol………..I would say its for insurance. With the way our educational system is going, schooling abroad is now the norm so why not have the kids there so when they’re older and need to travel for studies, you wont bother paying so much. #my2cents

• Seriously

August 25, 2015 at 3:30 pm

America is the most powerful country, that offers automatic citizenship to those born in the country including ones that came to give birth and went back to their country. Say what you want about this country, it’s the best when it comes to diversity, giving people equal opportunities, fair treatment, a balanced middle class life, etc work hard and you’ll live a decent life. When the child gets to a certain age, he/she can file for parent. American citizenship comes with benefits and security. The stress of not having document is not easy. You can go in and out of the country freely, for school can easily apply for scholarships, grants and loans. You can do whatever you want without fear of anything. It doesn’t mean it’s a ticket to perfect life but I tell you this the opportunity you have is better than where you are coming from bcos if you had a perfect life in your country, you wouldn’t be here.

No place is perfect but having secure healthcare is essential especially childbirth bcos you have two people lives at stake. Nigeria, has one of the highest chidbirth death and child mortality rate. So, if you can afford it why not. If you can afford it but don’t care, it’s all good. But I don’t knock out those who took advantage of that opportunity.

August 26, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Not paying so much???? pls just listen to urself , the country has an average of over 35k dollars in debts per student already, who schooling in america is cheap??? govt is cutting student aid more and more, credit card system is putting people more and more into debts……why do u think even their students these days are commiting suicide….too much debts to carry on thier head…parents can’t even help, since they are also in debts

3. miss Pynk

August 25, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I believe there are two sides too a coin. There are good hospitals in Nigeria and a few shady ones in America..so to speak. To each his own, my mother is American she had all her children in america, it just sort of made sense for my siblings to do the same. I believe it’s a case of to each his own. When you think about it there are many people with US and UK passports who cant travel because of finances and Nigerians who can travel every other weekend because their finances are A -OK.

I have seen how visa requirements for Nigerians are outright ridiculous – donet believe me? Go and read the requirements for a schengen visa from the Greek embassy for Nigerians. Nothing beats convinience of ease of travel.

pynk360.com

• miss Pynk

August 25, 2015 at 12:14 pm

*to and don’t

• ola

August 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm

what do, you mean by shady hospitals in America?western countries dont joke with health and stuffs like that,i live in france and i have never seen where you would find any quack hospital or doctor

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 3:43 pm

She said America, not France and there are shady hospitals in America

• Ready

August 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Bruv. You live in France, not America or the rest of Europe. There are quack doctors everywhere.

• godess of the earth

August 28, 2015 at 3:08 am

The hospital i gave birth to in America was called shady grave its really name is shady grove because nurses and some doctors were doing terrible things to people. A nurse killed patients for years before they found out. So yes they are bad hospitals in America.

• zainab

March 31, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Your comment hit the nail on the head…need not say more.

4. RIFF RAFF

August 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Let’s say it loud:
    People have developed a deep distrust for their home country and its future. Forget the “e go better” stories; everyone is complaining it’s getting worse. People are tired of being “patriots for nothing”. Don’t mind them celebrities endorsing this or that political party ; na just to close una eyes; they are the ones who rush to the US pass with the campaign money. Even the rich top shots send their people to the US to give birth. Pastors sef do the same . The same pastors who preach God can make u great/open doors for you no matter where u coming from. Your background is not a barrier. I remember one nollywood celebrity was blasted on Twitter some years ago for this hypocrisy. She went to the US to give birth and while there,she tweeted how she so proud to be Nigerian, how “Americans got nothing on her peeps”. Those were her words. Only for people to ask her “why did u then go the US to give birth?” “You enjoy Obama land’s advantages and u claim to be proud to be Nigerian. Why are u here?Go home then.” People urged her to be at least honest. One person even warned her that if she tried making such comments again, she will be denied visa next time since Americans got nothing on her peeps. The celebrity just kept damn quiet this time.
    I don’t blame those who chose to give birth abroad. Who doesn’t want better thing for their child with all the uncertain atmosphere we feel all over? Dual citizenship has its advantages.
    BUT PLEASE, ENUFF WITH THE HYPOCRISY. WE ALL KNOW DEEP DOWN WHY WE WOULD CHOOSE USA OVER NAIJA. HEALTH/SAFETY ISSUES, STUDIES ETC ARE THE OFFICIAL REASONS. WE ARE NOT FOOLS!!!

5. tee A

August 25, 2015 at 12:35 pm

To each his own.
    For me, it was for the passport and better care. I had twins and the care and monitoring I revceived was stellar; (i know this cos Im a medical practitioner myself and received at least half of my antenatal care in Naija).
    As for the passport angu,..well so many advantages.
    I studied in the US and I know what opportunities and paths (job/career-wise) were just not open to me because of my ‘alien’ status.
    Plus it opens a different vista of opportunity for the child if he/she is willing to take it. You may disagree, but i firmly believe that one of my responsibilities as a parent is to provide the neccessary tools and opportunities (within my power and resources) to my child to make of it what he/she can.

• jide

August 26, 2015 at 1:34 am

With all the care did you pay your gbese or am I funding you as well? Smh. Come and spoill America the way you spoil your country we will see where you go. Same way after all of you jacked up the UK, the banned citizenship by birth.

• tee A

August 26, 2015 at 9:09 am

I just knew someone like you will start running mouth about gbese. If you see my comment further down, I stated that: ‘Insofar as it is not illegal, you can afford to pay for birth services (not Medicaid things o) and you’ve got a visa, then why not?’

So to answer your question, yes I paid every single cent of my bill. You can sleep easy now…

6. mia

August 25, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I had my baby in the US because our close friends encouraged us to do it, we could afford it and we got the best healthcare. God knows I would have been terribly nervous if i had been due in Nigeria, so many cases of negligence in the system. To affirm my decision, doctors had been and were still on strike when i was due. I don’t regret the decision for a second.

Also, it afforded me the opportunity to shop for my baby. kai, i really commend mothers that buy baby things in Nigeria, talk about exploitation. A thing of $10 will be going for N8,000 in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, i bought clothes and shoes up to 2 years for my baby and it was a breeze, not to talk of toys, baby gears and baby books.

The blue passport is a wonderful incentive, i won’t lie. Anytime i need to travel, i just carry my baby, i don’t worry about her visa and i know she has access to the benefits of her country anytime she needs it. Will i do it again? oh, YES.

• ms lala

August 25, 2015 at 12:59 pm

But did you contribute to the system that she can get anytime she needs ? no!!!!!!!. I love the idea of people having safe deliveries in the western world. But why exploit a country you are not making contribution to. people pay taxes everyday on the littlest business or money made. The well of in Nigeria don’t get taxed by the American Government, no one is asking you to turn in your tax papers by April. Yet you want your child to benefit from a system you probably will not financially participate. Unless you remain rich and pay full tuition for four years in any university when your American born is arriving , ride on!!. But for the average Joes who scrapped up money to deliver an American child, how do you intend on paying tuition if the money isn’t there in 16-18 years when the child schools in America. will the child come to America and take out loans ? If so, the child will need credit check, cosigners on the loan and even address of residency? will your family in the States help the child? How about the ones who successfully birthed their children and then left the bill for the state citizens to pick up. sure she might not get a renewed visa but the deed is done and the child is now American. I have a childhood friend who currently being a damn burden to my folks back in Los Angeles, born in America, and only been to the States thrice in her lifespan, came to school in LA to “benefit” the system but her folks dropped her off at my parents place. Extra mouth to feed is not a problem but the culture clash is, America has almost swallowed her with her culture and influence. my mom who is in her 60’s is now babysitting an eighteen year old. Did her friend drop money off for us for the extra bills nope.

• Ebebe (pronounced A-bay-bay)

August 25, 2015 at 1:48 pm

GOD BLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I’m in love with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????? I’m a girl oh, but I fall in love with logical and intelligent beings! This mentality of Nigerians is why Nigeria can’t develop. I’m an American citizen born and raised here by. Nigerian parents and heaven knows it pisses me the f- off when I see how Nigerians abuse a system. Is it logical that you benefit off a government you haven’t paid taxes to? No, does it make sense? Any way, the countries are getting wiser. I heard the Canadian government just passed a bill which makes the needs of dual citizens come after one passport holders I.e Canadian only passport. America is getting there soon. Kmt!

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm

She said she paid her bills, so she did not exploit the country. The people who exploit the country are the ones who don’t pay their bills and be claiming restitution for slavery *side eye at Joke*

• S!

August 25, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Did she receive free healthcare? She has paid her dues. Are the Americans complaining? I don’t think so if not she would have been denied visa. Stop being self righteous.

• jide

August 26, 2015 at 1:36 am

Thank you. They will soon ban all their foolish arses. I can just see it looming. Awon awoof dey run belle. They have turned Houston hospitals to balogun market popping babies everywhere and flying back with 6 weeks old babies on United every friggin evening.

August 26, 2015 at 4:03 am

I wish i can clik the like button 1000 times for your comment….one of the problems nigerians have is our mentality, they simply cannot think deep beyond ”benefit”. One childbirth is not even cheap in the US, so after spending all that money, they would still need to take care of that child for another 18yrs and counting, next plan, send the child to study in US college, who will pay, ”hen, shebi he can get scholarship nah, take loans, federal aid, he’s american nah, he’s entitled to govt funding”….and when he finishes even before he graduates there’s job waiting for him”….hahahaha and he can also apply for his sibblings and entire family to come to US….hahahahaha. wahala dey oooo…..see the way people think ooooo, same america that its citizens abroad are dumping thier passports, millions are unemployed, healthcare is expensive, whole country is in debt, people are loosing thier jobs due to companies outsourcing their services to india, china etc, more and more american are loosing their homes, students are getting higher degrees for jobs that dont even exist….and the list goes on and on, no wonder anericans abroad dont want to go back to their country,,,,hahahaha, dem plenty for naija, UAE etc living comfortably…Carol cox from the US consulate stated then that pregnant women would need a medical visa to travel to US for child birth and for that they would need various documents as proof that such trip is required and proof of funds, 60k dollars for normal delivery and 140k dolls in case of complications……if u have the money go ooooooo, im sure america would be more than happy to take ur money, give u the birth certificate and passport…but dont be surprised if the US congress revisit the 14th amendment regarding citizenship, if americans can abroad can safely denouce thier citizenship, the US govt also has the right revoke the citizenship status of that child……shebi u only paid for medical services nah….relocate to america, pay for house, pay utitlity bills, pay TAXES, register ur address, ehen, go apply for citizenship and its ”benefits”

7. Babym

August 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Omo there is really no need to pretend o and nobody shld be vilified for wanting the best possible future for their child. The main reason ppl go abroad to have babies is to get citizenship for their kids and avoid visa and school fees wahala. If ur child can get dual citizenship and u can afford it i dont see why the heck not??? I dont see what the debate is here. What has patrotism done for anyone lately abegiiiii left matter! One day nigeria will be good again but until then……. Do whatever the heck u feel u need to do and never apologise for it.

8. tee A

August 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

To each his own.
    As for the passport angu,..well so many advantages.

Insofar as it is not illegal, you can afford to pay for birth services (not Medicaid things o) and you’ve got a visa, then why not?!

9. 'Deola

August 25, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Are with talking of “anchor” babies? I suspect that is what they are called, Maybe, if Nigerians recreate the Nigerian enterprise and rigorously work to build an enduring system that respects and value human life and ordinary people irrespective of birth or social class we might stand a chance.
    At the moment, Nigerians making the decision of having kids abroad based on their forecast of a grim future as a Nigerian are possibly shooting in the dark .

10. Simply planning ahead! :)

August 25, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Giving birth in America is a necessity!
    Giving birth in a developed country in a necessity!

The best thing a parent can do for their child is to set up a future for them!
    Every Nigerian knows the stress and trauma attached to a visa application process, so why would you want to put your child through that? And every Nigerian knows the lengths people would go to to live abroad. Some marry old, fat white women so that they can gain foreign citizenship.

I refuse to accept that all these celebrities & rich women go to America to give birth simply for status! They do it to establish their child’s future!

Why wouldn’t you want the best of the best for your child?

I have a British & Nigerian passport. My husband has an German & Nigerian passport and my children will qualify for all three. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the British or German healthcare system; however, I personally plan on giving birth in New York. And then raising them in Naija because the Nigerian education system is the best.

I want my children to have many options in life. I don’t want then to stress at all.
    If you have the option of giving birth in a developed country, please go for it.

• Babs

August 25, 2015 at 1:24 pm

About giving birth to your kids in the US, I’m assuming the kids would have a British/American Passport? Have you considered the tax implications of choosing the US over the UK passport or even having both? EU states are wary of handling financial matters of Americans living within their borders….but anyhoo,I guess your kids can decide when they have to!

• Ojie

August 25, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Nigerian education system is the best? Please explain. What part of it is ‘the best’. Also, the best compared to?

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Nigerian education is just as dismal as Nigerian healthcare. The kids are only taught to regurgitate information and not process it. So we have a lot of educated illiterates in our country

• chigirl

August 25, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I snort when i hear people say Nigeria has the best educational system. Which educational system?.. A system that teaches students how not to question facts, how not to think, how not to think outside the box?. A system that shoves down so much content down students’ throat and doesn’t teach them how to apply same content in solving every day problems. Nigerian educational curriculum has width but lacks depth. What is the use in making students take 12 courses per term/semester instead of teaching them a few very well?.

Until the school system in Nigeria begins to teach students how to “ask questions”, “query facts” and “form conclusions” by themselves, the future of the country remains bleak. Until our young people begin to be re-trained in schools, we might not begin to see the kind of change/technological advancements we hope to see in the future

August 26, 2015 at 4:02 pm

You guys would make good actors and actresses on benefit cheats…nigerians and their various exccuses for birth tourism. A lot of people commenting obviously cannot see the direction america is heading to, especially after uncle sam signed the immigration pact into law that granted 20m illegal immigrants amnesty, sparking another chain of migration from their home countries….very soon for people to even fins work at mcdonalds they would need a phd degree…is it not happening already…people people research plssssssssssssssssss

11. Fashionista

August 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm

There is nothing wrong with wanting to have your baby abroad, in America for instance. So far you can afford it, even if you have to stretch yourself just a little. Most parents will try to make their children’s lives an inch better or give their child an edge in todays competitive and fast paced world, if they can. That blue passport whether we want to admit it or not, is a little step (if one can take it) in that direction.
    Not saying those with our green passport are doomed (I have one), just saying we cannot completely dispute the obvious pluses of a Blue or Red passport in the global world today – work, healthcare, education.

• Fashionista

August 25, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Most Importantly, it is a personal choice!

12. TT

August 25, 2015 at 12:51 pm

If anyone says they’re going to America for the healthcare they are lying. The british healthcare system is much better plus its FREE!!! They are doing it for the citizenship.

Do I blame them? Well, I don’t know. I wont lie, having a british passport has definitely made my life a lot easier. I got it through my mum cause she grew up in England. When she was pregnant with me she just travelled there, gave birth and then came back. Personally I think giving citizenship to everyone born in the country is a big big mistake. People will just take advantage of it.

It’s a dilemma. Yes the healthcare system in Nigeria isn’t the best, but I dont think its as bad as people say – if you can afford it!! . I think that its worse for the poorest in our society. As in, the ones who can’t even afford Nigerian medical bills, talk less of flying abroad. So for the ones that can actually save up so much to travel, I think that money will be good enough for them to have access to a great medical care here in Nigeria. So yeah, I don’t believe it when they say its for better healthcare. Cause giving birth isn’t rocket science. Some girls even do it alone in their bedrooms (not advisable). Only last week, a successful open heart surgery was performed and live tweeted here in Nigeria. So if you have the money to be flying abroad, you definitely have the money to pay for good healthcare here.

And as for status, i’ll just say this – when it comes to the highest level of Nigerian society, these things don’t matter. First of all, most of them have british citizenship anyways, not American. And those who don’t have either, still don’t have a problem getting around even with a Nigerian passport. In fact, its gotten to the point that people kind of look down on those with US passports cause they fell like they used “by fire, by force” to get it. But like I said, thats just with the super super wealthy.

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Whether they are lying or not, it’s their money so it’s really not your problem. As long as they can afford it, who are you to pass judgement on the decisions two adults made for the benefit of their child? Did you help them create the child?

August 26, 2015 at 4:11 am

Poverty mentality is worrying you serioulsy sha……so having a child in nigeria automatically means that that child will not excell in life shey…..una get serious white man inferiority issues for una head

• beetee

August 25, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Point of correction, the british Healthcare system is not free for non-british residents.

• Not free in uk

August 25, 2015 at 7:43 pm

British healthcare is not free. That is a big lie.

• jo smith

August 25, 2015 at 11:44 pm

@TT: not sure where people get the illusion that the British health care is free even to it’s citizens- we are paying taxes heavily and national insurance contributions which to an extent funds the system… it might appear to be free compared to the American system but it’s not…….

13. Simply planning ahead! :)

August 25, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I mean the Nigerian primary & secondary education system is the best.

We all know what a joke Nigerian universities are. & for those who are fortunate to make it even though they attended a Nigerian university, I hail you o! And for those who have made it with foreign degree, there is no surprise there but congrats! Everyone knows the special treatment anything foreign gets in Naija.

• Ojie

August 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

The secondary school is the best? How so please? I did my Secondary School in Nigeria. I was taught to recall and recite more than apply the knowledge. Very little to no experimentation done. Just words, words and even more words.

• S!

August 25, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I’m sure she means the experience. I does really help mature.

14. mrs chidukane

August 25, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I remember a friend who does the US birth thing asking me where i’ll give birth and I said Nigeria. She said Hei ya, God will protect you and I was like huh? Really? So births don’t go wrong abroad abi the stories i’d been reading on some new mom message boards are fabricated? Anyways, my birth experience was very smooth, everything went so well. If I say this I will be accused of pretending but i’ll say it anyway. I chose to have my baby in Nigeria. Not everyone wants the blue passport. Personally, I don’t care about living in the US. I believe you can always relocate if you want to so if my children decide they want to, I can afford to make it happen for them.

• Blessedheart

August 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm

It’s quite a dilemma for me. A colleague has been trying to encourage me to go to the US for delivery but I’m not sure if I want to. My first concern is the stress – transport, accommodation, logistics, etc. Then, it’s not exactly cheap. I’m not sure I want to spend all my savings on child delivery. Another concern for me is not having family members around during delivery especially since this is my first child. It just seems too much for me. I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I also believe that doors will still open for my kids whether they’re Americans or Nigerians.

• adelegirl

August 25, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Blessedheart, our scenarios are quite similar. I applaud you for staying true to yourself and acknowledging the downsides to giving birth in the US. I made the same decision as you did. Never mind, the world will literally be our children’s oyster regardless of where they are birthed. *hugs*

15. le coco

August 25, 2015 at 1:06 pm

my aunt lives in south africa.. upon all the good hospitals, she still wanted to give birth abroad… nd she did.. to both of her children.. i personally will not do it if was not already in nigeria.. the story of the lady who died of shock when her daughter lost the baby is bizzare and unusual.. nd please it is shock.. which means if the woman had given birth in america, and the baby still died,, the mother wld still die of the same shock… i feel the only time i would consider going to another country to give birth is if there are complications beyond my control.. that need the utmost expertise.. but if i am in good health nd so is m child… then no need

• Krasavitsa

August 25, 2015 at 3:54 pm

@ le coco, Umm……… I beg to disagree. If she was abroad , there most likely would have been measures to prevent Intrauterine Fetal Death I.e. Baby dying inside. Not that it doesn’t happen, it does, but not at the very alarming rate at which it occurs in Nigeria. And even if the baby did die, they would have instituted anti-shock measures for the mother and found a more sensitive way to break the news to her. That’s why our maternal mortality rate is astronomically high and theirs isn’t. Just saying………

August 26, 2015 at 4:16 am

Guy cool down nah, u assume alot. remember u are dealing with humans, people die everywhere, shock nah shock, if her system cannot take it, there’s nothing the doctor can do, even doctor would be shocked too…..mind you, america has the 4th highest mortality rate in the world among developed nations…..u sound as if there are no good hospitals in naija, as if all the hospitals are better…na wa ooo

16. letty

August 25, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Giving birth in the US is a non negotiable I actually look forward to being pregnant because the prenatal care and post natal care here in the US is unbelievable it’s like lodging in a hotel the nurses are at u r beck and call 24 hrs of the day ask for anything you get it. It’s such a pleasurable experience that if I were younger I will go for the 5th baby

On the other hand I crave the Nigerian way of life. The culture in America is decadent there is really nothing to be admired Nigerian youth copy the thugs here in the US who are mostly Crack babies gang bangers in the project the Lil Waynes of this world are not to be worshipped the need to emulate the vices in America is mind-boggling

17. Anonymous

August 25, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Hello all; I don’t think people realize the implication of dual citizenship. In the first place, the US doesn’t offer free higher education and the cost of going to a good school is fairly the same for either foreigners and locals. I admit that there are more scholarship opportunities and aid for citizens than internationals. However, with the US system and the way it saddles university graduates with debt (i.e. student loans), I refuse to do that to my child.

The second implication of this is tax: US citizens are obliged to file tax returns no matter where they live. I don’t know how much that translate to but I do know that I don’t want my kid to be burdened with unbearable paperwork every year. I know that people will say “how will the IRS catch you” but you don’t want to risk being on the IRS radar.

There are other reasons why I don’t want a US citizenship for my child – the USA ain’t exactly a picnic for a black person and all that. Besides excellent healthcare is only available to rich people. If you go and can’t afford premium healthcare; and you end up in government hospital, you are at as much risk as those who do so in Nigeria. I rather go to a European country or SA for good quality healthcare.

• ms lala

August 25, 2015 at 1:41 pm

exactly!! I know someone who wanted to school here and he is an American born Nigerian. He applied to school and the remaining issue was payment. His folks couldn’t help so they said he should apply for FAFSA. WELL!!! guess what FAFSA wanted a cosigner since he declared independent and was going to be the sole person responsible for the loan. They still wanted someone with excellent credit to back him up. my dear that was when the kid knew his aunt and uncles were not going to stick their necks out for him because they had their own children to cosign.

18. QueenT

August 25, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Yet again Nigerians failing to invest in their own country and making the white man richer! wake up, build your own private hospitals, buy the best equipment and then you will see patients flocking in.

• Grace

August 25, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Lol… America is a white man’s country? okay o

• Krasavitsa

August 25, 2015 at 4:40 pm

@ QueenT, “Wake up build your own private hospitals……..” Really??? You think owning a hospital is like opening a little mom n pop store?? My dear, you don’t know the half of it! To own a hospital here, you need according to NMA guidlines, at least 10 years experience (practising medicine). Next, if medical equipments were that cheap you don’t think there’d be more diagnostic centres? Please tell us how all these people going abroad to give birth can “invest” that money in the health sector. Last time I checked, Nigeria has just about 80k Medical doctors ( judging by my colleague’s mdcn numbers). Yes that figure covers all Nigerian doctors that wrote the licensing exam ; both home and abroad, alive and dead, practising and non-practising. So how can a non-medical personelle use their drop-in-the-ocean money for giving birth in the US to invest in a sector that’s supposed to cater to the health needs of over 170million people with such very few doctors???

19. cleo

August 25, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I think the motivation is for dual citizebship.

20. Lala

August 25, 2015 at 1:27 pm

How about Canada? Does giving birth in Canada confer similar status?
    Also, I read that American citizens world wide are being made to pay tax even when they are not residing in the U.S.
    I saw an advert a while back in one of the papers advertising to Americans in the UK as to what to do with regards the double taxation, so it must be true.
    I attended some body’s BRitish naturalisation ceremony in the UK and there was this American who was naturalising as well- some are running to and some are running from…..

Also, there’s an article I read in the Guardian(UK) about a spike in naturalisation in the UK by other EUropeans. I read the comment section and many people from France, Germany, SPain are applying for British citizenship because of the fear that the British public may vote Yes to leave the EU.

Everyone is hustling to find a better life for their children. Already, there is a new immigration rule that all non- EU nationals in the NHS (national health service- not sure the full meaning) who are earning less than £30k a year will e deported from the UK next year.
    Just before the UK elections, my hubby had to apply for his BRitish passport at the heigh of the anti-immigrant rhetoric from UKIP (an anti-immigration party in the UK)

Whatever anybody needs to do, please do. We have convinced friends to do same and now they wish they had done same for their first 2 kids.

Should the UK not leave the EU, the easiest pathway to naturalisation would be to gain EU citizenship elsewhere in Europe, move to the UK and after some years, you can naturalise..

Something tells me this American citizenship by childbirth would backfire in some way or suddenly change in the future, so everyone hurry up and pop out those babies……. Lol!

• N

August 26, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Anyone who is coming to Canada with a pregnancy just for purpose of giving birth deserves a pat on the back. I’m not sure people realize how far away Canada is sha; and to travel all d way with a pregnancy? O di nma!

21. Ebebe (pronounced A-bay-bay)

August 25, 2015 at 1:30 pm

My own is that whether you give birth to your child in Afghanistan or Cairo or Wyoming, your child would still be who he/she is destined to be irrespective. It is their call to be whatever they want to be not any visa or passport. How many kids of Nigerians who gave birth to their children abroad and came back to Nigeria have achieved anything spectacular? Okonjo wasnt born abroad, neither was Dezani, Funmi Alakija even Arunma Otteh, today they head international organizations and are frontiers in their fields. Concerning health care, yes , Nigeriams health care system is not so great, neither is America’s or UK’s. People die in all countries irrespective. Stephanie Okereke that was honoured by the queen some months back, how many Nigerians born abroad got that award or Genevive that Oprah interviewed. I’m talking about women because I’m familiar with them. It might be close to the same thing for men e.g Ibe Kachikwu and the likes who were not born or raised abroad. So please to the people that can’t give birth abroad, it’s okay, birth your child were you can, your baby would be fine. To those that can, it would be stupidity not to take advantage of it because there ar advantages BUT giving birth anywhere can’t make or marr a child. Their destiny is in their own hands not in where they are born. What are my saying in essence, don’t strain and stress yourself trying to give birth abroad and again don’t ignore it if you can. They blacks that had their forefathers born there are still struggling deeply to find their footing, so issues still abound for our race as a whole in foreign countries.

• Lala

August 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm

@Ebebe, Nigerians born abroad are achieving great things and heading massive organisations. Just because Nigerian blogs are not noticing it, doesn’t meant otherwise.

• Manny

August 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Abeg Ebebe, I can’t type long story but where you are born does make or mar you. Do you know how many undeveloped talents we have in this country?
      That whatever will be will be is all wishful thinking biko.

• Manny

August 25, 2015 at 7:19 pm

In fact, look at what you typed “My own is that whether you give birth to your child in Afghanistan or Cairo or Wyoming, your child would still be who he/she is destined to be irrespective. ”
      Do you know how many females in Afghanistan were destined to be scientists, engineers etc but they were married off in childhood. Of the entire population, the proportion of female scientists and engineers in Afghanistan is what? 15% maybe. Per your reasoning, they are not more than that because they were not destined to be? After all, “your child would still be who he/she is destined to be irrespective”

22. Ojie

August 25, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I do not think it is a status thing. It is just simply a desire for a better life for the child.

23. ada

August 25, 2015 at 1:50 pm

The writer of the article should please reconfirm the details stated. The US is the only country that gives citizenship if born on their soil.to parents of other nationals. Canada has stopped a few years back.

BellaNaija.com

August 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Canada has not stopped. Citizenship by Birth is conferred in all provinces in Canada.

• Ready

August 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Is it 1st or 2nd class citizenship that’s conferred? I don’t think that should be glossed over.

• Syl

August 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Nope Canada has not stopped. My sister gave birth to my nephew in Alberta, Canada last year and she got his Canadian passport before she returned to Nigeria. In fact the Canadian government pays my nephew 120dollars per month but na my sister friend dey collect am.

• xag

August 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Brazil confers citizenship by birth as well. Its call jus soli

24. Word

August 25, 2015 at 1:56 pm

All you Nigerians running to the U.S. to give birth, please don’t forget to sign up all your male children for selective service. I hope you all know what selective service is? Without selective service, your male sons will not get funding for college. I hope you all know what selective service is? In time of war, your sons will be forced to enlist if the U.S. needs foot soldiers. Nigerians just love to copy the jones without doing proper research!

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 4:00 pm

That’s a lie!! It is not compulsory for men to sign up for service. The draft ended after the Vietnam war. Jeez!!!!

• Person

August 25, 2015 at 5:52 pm

It is true actually. Every male citizen below the age of 26 MUST sign up for selective service. Whether you will be called upon AT ANY time is to be seen.

• NigerianPie

August 25, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Lol, madam it is true!!!!! Madam have your kids abroad, also let him serve his “country” na. Lol

• Word

August 26, 2015 at 1:34 am

Nahum, you are ignorant. Yes, all young men below the age of 26 have to signup for selective service. If you are a U.S citizen and don’t signup for it, you will not be eligible for financial aid. Google is your friend!

• Word

August 26, 2015 at 1:38 am

Nahum, I went through the trouble of googling selective service on your behalf.

• NYCJersey

August 26, 2015 at 4:39 am

The draft ended but u still have to register. My uncle didn’t want my cousins to when they first moved to the U.S. but they couldn’t complete FAFSA and other college forms without registering, at the end of day they had to. Selective service registration for males is a MUST

25. bruno

August 25, 2015 at 2:05 pm

see them, they have started confessing.

u people were the ones insulting me some few weeks ago when I said it as reasonable to give birth to ur kids in America. smh

• RIFF RAFF

August 25, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I remember very well o!

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Not me o

26. Sad

August 25, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I promise you all Nigerian’s Nigeria will never be the best country that you hope for your children even for your children’s children’s just as long you see UK & US as the apple of your eye.. Why do you always make it that in order to get something better you have to go there ? Why don’t you work for your country to have better facilities ? Not only for you but for your children even the children after you, BASICALLY you’re looking down on yourselves and do not trust your abilities… You hate it when we tell you this but it is a truth… my cousin came there and my word she so shocked on the state of the airport alone… she wanted come back home straight away … I will not even mention other facilities that have fell apart, there are lot of your people is Diaspora doing it for other Nations but not for your own how stupid this is.

• mrs chidukane

August 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm

There will always be that foreigner who will come to put mouth in Nigerian issues. Guy abeg fall back.

• Nuna

August 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm

@Gurlwendy you are completely delusional. I am in no way xenophobic and I enjoy reading and learning from people all over the continent esp on BellaNaija, but when someone comes here to spew rubbish all the time againt Nigerians, especially when her country is not perfect, please dont blame me if I have a negative reaction. I see it all the time, people who solely comment on BN topics just to bash everything Nigerian.

• Nuna

August 25, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Oh please shut up!! What are you even doing on a Nigerian website?

• natu

August 25, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Do I smell xenophobia?

• gurl_wendy

August 25, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Why such venom??, everybody is entitled to their own point of view, it’s because of people like you that other Africans will be saying Nigerian’s are rude, hostile and aggressive, you’re not even happy that BN gets readers from different countries.

August 26, 2015 at 4:18 am

Please go back to ur obodo oyibo ooooooo……hian, u dont like the country, but u keep coming back everytime

27. Tiki

August 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm

If I have my way, I’ll have my children in America. My reason is simple – I want my children to have the opportunity to grow up in a place where they can achieve their dreams if they work hard, and stay focused.Till date, America seems to be the best option for that.

August 26, 2015 at 4:22 am

so that can’t achieve their dream in naija….if u bring them up with that mindset, u’ve already limited their ability to exploit the opportunities present in naija or africa as a whole….so much psychological negativity from childhood

28. Peeposh

August 25, 2015 at 2:19 pm

@Ebebe, You hit the nail on the head, well said.

Just to buttress his/her point, people should concentrate more on making their children the best they can be irrespective of where they are born. At the end of the day, the decision on where to deliver a baby is entirely up to the parents – no right or wrong decisions, just personal preferences.

Reasons such as not wanting children to go to the stress of applying for a visa is just petty and flimsy to me, even with a US passport, you still need a visa to travel to other countries, so really that’s petty………

On another note, BN readers, weigh in on this, a friend of mine is married to a Nigerian/US citizen, she tried to apply for a US visa (about 3 years ago) to go on holiday with the family (Husband and 3 children) but was refused on the grounds that she can get a green card. The thing is she is not interested in getting a green card as it is strictly for individuals who want to migrate to the US.

She’s got a job here and does not want a green card when she knows she cannot meet you to the requirements of having one. Questions is: Is it wrong to apply for a US visa just because you are married to one? she intends to apply again, what do you advise she does? should she state categorically on her form that she is not interested in the green card for now, or just apply and wait for whatever the outcome will be?

• Syl

August 25, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Your friend will not be granted the visa even if she applies 10 times. Her husband needs to file/apply for an immigrant status visa for her. She should not bother wasting her money. The US embassy is so strict on this rule. Provided you are opportuned to have an opening for an immigrant visa, they will not issue you a non immigrant visa. The rationale is that you are trying to benefit from both ends of the stick and issuing you a non immigrant visa (when you are entitled to an immigrant visa) will invariably deny a suitably qualified non immigrant visa applicant, moreso as these visas are issued on a quota basis.

• Person

August 25, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Exactly. If her husband lives in the US, it is IMPOSSIBLE for her to be given a visitor’s visa. Again, I repeat, it is IMPOSSIBLE. If she applies 1000 times, she will be denied 1000 times. The rule on this is extremely strict. She will be told to ask her husband to file for her, If he doesn’t live in the US, it won’t be as hard.

BellaNaija.com

August 25, 2015 at 4:01 pm

The question is, is her husband domiciled in the US? If he is, then it is be very difficult but not impossible.

However, if he is truly based in Nigeria and has evidence to show that e.g. his yearly tax returns show that his job is in Nigeria, there is no reason why your friend should not get a visa.
      She should show normal evidence of ties to Nigeria as well as funds for her trip. Though it is not necessary, she may want to get visas for and travel to other countries such as the UK and Schengen countries.

LOL BN is a visa expert 🙂

• adelegirl

August 25, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Lol @ Visa Expert please open the travel/visa consultancy branch of BN already! 😀 #ExpandtheBNempire

29. nene

August 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm

definitely not status symbol but more as a Plan B/insurance and for some it’s a necessity because of pregnancy complications that can be avoided.

August 26, 2015 at 4:26 am

She can put all that money and energy in a trust fund for the child….atleast the child is secured financially. and for the others, they can always go to st nicolas or reddinton to have their babies….invest in the one u are sure of than to over invest in uncertainity

30. Blah blah

August 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I was thinking about this just this morning! I just imagined a situation where in 10 years time children have inferiority complex because their friends were born abroad and they were born in Obalende. It will become a thing just like I don’t date across the bridge is a thing. And you hear foolish things like blue passport table and red passport table in secondary schools.
    My own believe is whether you were born in China or America of Kutuwenji your destiny is your destiny. The heights a child will get to he will get to. And if your child will be a nobody America won’t make him be a somebody.
    That being said, I am hypertensive and I know it could get complicated in pregnancy so I need access to the best healthcare system. I was thinking I would either go to the UK or Canada or get a specialist flown in. Please hypertensive moms how una do am?

31. new mum

August 25, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I had my first child in Nigeria and i almost died! Thank God for God! Many Nigerian hospitals/doctors are too negligent and gamble with people’s lives.

By the time i was pregnant again, nobody needed to tell me to go abroad. I schooled and lived in the US for almost 10 years so it made sense to me to there for medical care. I did it strictly for access to better care. To be honest, i’m indifferent to having a US passport. My children will still be great regardless of where they were born. Getting visas has never been an issue for me and it won’t be, so even if US citizenship was not automatic by birth, I’d still have given birth here.

For those parents who have US citizen kids, please start saving money for their college tuition o!!!! Don’t set the kids up to be in debt from school loans when the time comes for college and you can’t pay. I graduated from college 13 years ago and I have friends who are still paying off student loans. That’s the benefit of being an international student, my parents paid my fees and i graduated debt free.

• Sweets

August 25, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I had my all my children in U.S for the same reasons as you! I actually don’t know where my husband put their passports, but it doesn’t matter. My last born is 6 and we have never been back there after that so the passports and all have not be renewed and frankly I or hubby don’t care. I was born and raised in Nigeria and I can boldly say I can afford a better life than almost 70% of U.S in their own country and same would be so for my kids and even better in Jesus Name!

32. chi-e-z

August 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Just to put my two sense in it freaking sucks when my parents have to be in a seperate longer line while my U.S. citizen baby brother is by himself and we ,older sibling are on another line. Traveling is always scary and a hassle. U.S. Citizens are the first world citizens of the world once you show your american citizenship you are protected and aided more than any other country citizen in every part of the world including the said country’s citizen. Let’s not turn a blind eye to that fact that healthcare is better here[U.S.] than most other parts and opportunities and protection are higher for U.S. citizens in every part of the world. Even Mexico that GOPs always talking about always protect U.S. citizens and aid U.S. citizens in Mexico before their own. Right now being a U.S. citizen is equivalent to being a Roman, untouchable, they’re everywhere and have most powerful government aiding them everywhere.

• Lala

August 25, 2015 at 4:46 pm

@chiez, does America have the best health care in the world as you put it? How accessible is it to the common man in the US? If a person is out of work or in low income work , etc, , and requires hip replacement surgery or anything major, how quickly will they get it and can they get it for free without MEdicaid/Medicare (or what is it called)?

I think British citizens can visit just as many countries as well.

Until Obamacare arrived, access to quality healthcare in America was considered one of the worst in the developed world. Having to declare bankruptcy to access cancer treatment under Medicaid or what is it called is not top notch as you put it- same treatment is free in the UK.
      I think if British citizenship was still automatic by birth, many may chose the UK, but many NIgerians just love the U.S.- for me, the amount of guns on their streets is a strong deterrent.

• Word

August 26, 2015 at 1:46 am

Lala, please don’t regurgitate what you hear from the media. America healthcare is expensive because you can go to the emergency and you are not rejected. However, you should expect a huge bill. With all the cons, the U.S has the best healthcare.

• Ready

August 26, 2015 at 9:31 am

America has a very good health system but it still is the most expensive in the world. That’s partly because American doctors earn the most (As much as hundreds of thousands yearly) and have no intentions of ever reducing their pay. The American Medical Association also helps to maintain the status quo by keeping a strict rein on the amount of doctors that are admitted yearly and even posted for residency.
      Cuba on the other hand has a very good healthcare system and churns out one of the highest rates of doctors who provide quality but much cheaper service (despite huge economic sanctions). A hip replacement surgery in the US costs almost 1o times as much as in Germany for example.
      Would I have my babies abroad? I really don’t know. I would like my kids to be able to travel to up to 182 countries without needing a visa. But this one that Americans are becoming targets of violence due to America’s interference in global politics….hian. I also know that I don’t want them to ever get it twisted that Nigeria is home.

• jide

August 26, 2015 at 1:43 am

Eh yah. When your brother zips thorugh, doesn’t he have to wait for all Una local fowls to cross street so you can all waka comot immigration? Mschewwww. Stop trying reap where you didn’t sow. This country is so blessed because we pay our taxes and follow rules. Go and learn to be lawful and fix nigeria.

33. veechu

August 25, 2015 at 3:22 pm

nice article

34. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

August 25, 2015 at 3:25 pm

In my family, it’s a status symbol. They can’t be bothered if you have the funds or not – how dare you think of having your child in Nigeria? Are you a peasant? LOL!

Personally, I can’t be pressured into keeping up with the Joneses – i can’t afford it right now, there are good General Hospitals in Lagos state and pretty decent private hospitals also (though you might end up coughing out a huge sum for the latter unless you have HMO). If the money shows up right now, I’ll probably reconsider and go through a legal channel in having a child abroad – FOR THE PASSPORT, not for great healthcare reasons.

Side-bar: I got pregnant in 2013 and had a miscarriage about four months later. I remember my cousin asking me shortly before the miscarriage “so when do you plan travelling to Yankee to go give birth?” Lol, you’d think homie was with me and hubby finetuning travel plans. She couldn’t be arsed if we had the financial muscle or not.

If you have the funds to travel to go deliver your baby(ies), by all means go for it. We need to relax with this attitude of telling people how to live their lives or spend their money.

• Nahum

August 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm

THANK YOU!!!!! Why do people feel they have a right to insult mothers that have their babies abroad? Face your own na. Have your babies in Nigeria but don’t judge anybody that chooses not too. As long as they are not taking money from you, it is not your headache!!! My only issue is the not paying your bills part. Highly irritating and illegal

35. Flesym

August 25, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Ok people, if it’s about getting a good healthcare system in Nigeria, Lagos precisely, it is very possible, it is a matter of MONEY!!! There are many very good hospitals out there, save your money and the stress of flying and look for one.
    I gave birth in Nigeria and I loved every treatment I got after having my baby. It’s a matter of choice! For many, it’s a of follow-follow thing, they don’t want to be seen as below standard set by them and their ‘click’.

but then again, To every one their choice!

• Kili

August 25, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Please can anyone help with a list of good hospitals here in Nigeria, Lagos precisely.

36. Anoy

August 25, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I gave birth, in the uk earlier this year I almost lost my life due to post cs infection, mistakes happen all the time, not necessary important to birth abroad, the Nhs is a complete shadow of its own, understaffed and silent racism, best medical healthcare(not)…..life is protected by the big guy up there,looking down on his children.

• ShineShineShine

August 25, 2015 at 7:16 pm

My dear, l get you o. I was born in the UK so, l hv the red kpali but had my first baby in Naija. My second l had in London at St Mary’s Paddington o which by all standards is a very good hospital. When l compare the nursing support for both births, na naija all the way o. All l had to do in naija was ask and the nurses would put food in my mouth. I had a cs and l was groggy for a bit. Guess what? Till l fully came to, the nurses kept changing my ST. Becos l had a cs, they so doted on me. If l had to do it all over, na naija all the way. Only pray that you can afford a good specialist/hospital.

My girlfriend ran to the US to have her first. Nobody told her to stay back in naija to have her second. Asked why? she said, l beg, after the whahala of child birth, the last thing l want is to be bathing baby on my own. Child birth is so precious but, stressful that a woman should be pampered after. Nothing compares joo.

August 26, 2015 at 4:28 am

Too many naija tourist f-d up the system

37. Bowl

August 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I refuse to be convinced that there is any benefit in having ones child in these countries.what citizenship are we talking about here. You mean second class citizenship! And the kind of things these women go through in these birth tourism only God knows. Lack of standard health care facilities in country is the last reason anybody would want to go abroad .Those days in medical school . You would hear them say soso and so are citizens. I only used to wonder. I think birth tourism is a stupid class thing! Dangote , innoson and rest of them were made in nigeria. However bad the nigerian system may be, the nigerian dream is more real and close than the American dream. I refuse second class citizenship for myself,my children and anybody close to me. And if you think you can’t assess good health care in this country , I think you are only deluding yourself. my mother wil soon get one of her knees replaced in a teaching hospital in nigerian not that she can’t afford traveling out. Whenever my children are ready for school , it wil be the next available govt school.

• natu

August 25, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Hahaha ‘nigerian dream is more real than the American dream’. It must be snowing in hell. Stop deceiving yourself.

• NigerianPie

August 25, 2015 at 7:16 pm

YOU NATU GET OFF A NIGERIAN WEBSITE!! Always talking like you’re psychotic. What do you know about Nigeria, are you Nigerian? Please shut the f**** up and boot out. Imagine a non-Nigerian commenting on Nigerians and their their affairs, mistchwwwww!

• Nuna

August 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm

This is exactly what I am talking about and this goat had the guts to call me xenophobic. Always talking nonsense. Yes the Nigerian dream is real. Take that to the bank!

38. missus K

August 25, 2015 at 4:32 pm

We Nigerians like to argue unnecessarily. Giving birth in the US is a personal thing. U either want to or u don’t. I had my 1st child in US and though it was pricey, I plan on doing it again with my next baby. Every parents role is to provide the BEST for their child and while I’m not saying US is the best, I think having options is a pretty decent thing to give your child. I don’t care for US itself as a country especially with all the black male killings but we never can tell, things might normalize within a few yrs. Or not and that’s y it’s called a dual citizenship. He’s both American and Nigerian. Options people

39. Bowl

August 25, 2015 at 4:34 pm

When you consider that Africa is where it’s happening next, why bother getting American citizenship for your children. The nigerian dream is more real and close than the American dream.and my dear I do understand what it means to be an American. Citizen. I refuse it for my children , any body close to me. I know the diaspora community are doing well. But then not as well as dangote , ibeto , and innoson. It takes more an American citizenship, American or British education to be great in life. Nigeria is terrible force to reckon with on this planet it’s current state notwithstanding. Just for the records. , does anybody know what these women pass through when they go to these countries on birth tourism despite the excellent medical care ? But they go through with it just so as keep up with thenonsense class thing.

• ChUch

August 25, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Remain in your great Africa. So you can be the next dangote. How does having a child in the US prevent you from attaining your African dream? What makes you think some if those kinds of people you mentioned have no dual nationality? Or perhaps their kids or grand kids? Ever heard of dual nationality? Live in your next great Nigeria ok? Good luck with all the immense wealth you are about to accumulate. I hope you don’t change your mind, bowl innoson.

August 26, 2015 at 4:33 am

And do u think the american dream still exist???? if it still why is the whole economy upside down?? all these shouting dual citizenship, by the Donald trump enter, they would adjust that 14th amendment that is causing all this chaos

40. bruno fierce

August 25, 2015 at 4:56 pm

bellanaija commenters u people are so fake. bunch of pretenders.

all of u called me all sorts of things when I applauded omawunmi for giving birth to her children in America.

see as all of you are now confessing. many of u that bash Americans at any given chance. smh

the same America many of call sodom and gomorrah because they legalised same sex marriage.

the same canada many of u people call sodom and gomorrah because the legalised sam sex marriage.

you people are hypocrites and I am laughing at all of u. yeye people. I am always right. I will continue to speak the painful truth in the comment section and continue to call out many of you people’s hypocrisy. bunch of hypocrites

41. Adaeze Writes

August 25, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I believe that everyone should cut their clothes according to their sizes. If you have the money to bear your children in the US, or any other foreign country, please do. If you have no money, please start saving from the wedding for a proper recommended hospital here in Nigeria and by the way, most Nigerian hospitals are now, very expensive. It won’t be nice that in a bid to follow the trend and have babies abroad, you end up in debt…(having a baby is no beans…and when I say, no beans, I mean that money is involved.) even having a baby in the US costs alot. Imagine a scenario where a family has thrown in eighty percent of their savings into sending the pregnant mother abroad to have a child, and after the child is born and returns to Nigeria, it’s a struggle to make ends meet. You need to understand that its not child birth that costs money, the upbringing, feeding and many other basic necessities plus healthcare (yes, babies do fall sick and most of them fall sick a lot) costs money and the expenses never end till the child is a grown adult who is through with UNI and has a well paying job. Everyone wants the best for their children but honestly, if you know that it’s going to be difficult or tasking for you, I suggest you ditch the idea and look for a better option, besides it wouldn’t be sensible to have ‘American citizens’ owing school fees at school because daddy and mommy are still repaying loans they had sourced for during their birth.

August 26, 2015 at 4:39 am

Please tell them ooooooo…..people are shouting plan B, better future, good healthcare, blahbalh, the entire US is in debt right now….i reject that for my self and for my child, when we are supposed to be enjoying, we are helping him to be paying debts in the name of american dream…..why can’t people just channel that money and energy into investment and secure the future financilally

42. kay

August 25, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I had my baby in the US, at the time I got a Visa that wasn’t even a plan in the works but family over there suggested we do, & it wasn’t a bad idea. Since we could afford it why not. Nigeria ain’t that bad, in my opinion it’s just giving your child a plan B. Simple

43. adelegirl

August 25, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I haven’t read all the comments. I shall do so after I’ve commented. This is a very germane topic now Bella Naija, thanks for bringing it up for discussion.
    When I found out I was pregnant, the next decision was where to give birth – nigeria or America. Most of my friends and people in my circle have given birth in America, so it was expected that I’d do the same – we could certainly afford it even on the stringent requirements of a medical visa. My friend who lives in America was already discussing with me about coming over to give birth and how i’ll stay with her. My sister had already arranged with another close family friend how i’ll stay over at theirs when I came over to give birth. In the end, husband and I decided not to for 2 important reasons- I started a new job, a dream job really considering the organisation, the prestige that comes with working for such an organisation and the fantastic pay package. I knew that I would have only 4months maternity leave and by calculations, I would have to leave the country well before I became heavy, possibly at about 6 or 7months. I obviously would not be able to travel immediately after baby and would be looking at staying an additional month after baby arrives before coming back to nigeria. How many months would that leave me then to return to work after I arrive into the country with baby? Practically zero even if I add my annual leave. How will I return to work immediately after returning from going to give birth outside the country? It just wasn’t feasible at all. I certainly also didn’t want to take this job for granted. I’ve not even been on the job for a year and then i’ll go off for months? Second most important reason was, I have no close relatives in America, I certainly wasn’t comfortable with staying with friends no matter how close. And for the birth of my first baby, I wanted family, real close family and my husband, to surround me when I go into labour, as a support system. I wouldn’t have that if I deliver in America. And we all know how inconvenient it can be living in people’s homes – you can’t be 100% comfortable or feel at home, no matter how warm they are. There is nothing I hate more than feeling like I’m inconveniencing someone.

Sometimes I fret that I’ve not made the right choice when I think of the future benefits for my child, having that oh so powerful American passport. However, I know that God’s plans for this child are the best and He has planned it out this way – He causes all things to work together for our good.

Talking about facilities, we have good healthcare facilities in nigeria, only thing is that most are pricey and though the general hospitals have great experienced doctors and nurses, the service is generally awful. Maternal mortality is still considerably high in nigeria but I believe if you register with a good hospital and take good care of yourself and baby whilst pregnant, you greatly reduce the chances of maternal mortality. And of course pray and have faith that everything will turn out well. Maternal mortality can happen anywhere even in the 1st world and it does happen. The doctors and healthcare systems there aren’t perfect, they make mistakes. I know of 2 people who went to America to give birth but lost their babies. A real tragedy.

In the end, i’ll say, if your resources and circumstances allow you to take advantage of better facilities and opportunities for your children by way of securing American or Canadian citizenship, please do so but if not, don’t beat yourself up or kill yourself trying to keep up with the joneses. If you can’t with one child, you maybe able to with subsequent children who can file for their siblings if need be.

In a way, the decision to give birth in Nigeria has become like the decision of what type of wedding to have – a big lavish society wedding or a smaller low key wedding. Neither guarantees a successful marriage and I think where you give birth to your child also does not guarantee how successful the child will turn out. Do what’s best for you and your family without compromising your values.

• 'Deola

August 25, 2015 at 11:48 pm

It is interesting that you opted to have your baby in Naija based on how you valued your job and the less important issues of inconvenience and family support especially from your husband. I know these are weighty considerations when making important decisions such as having a baby.

One reason I consider it weighty is you the job security that helps with family stability and the psychological fulfillment for you. The other is the support that is better left to family members, especially the people that should be involved when having your baby.

That acknowledged, the future will determine whether what you did was in the best interest of your baby. LIke i said in my early post, everyone is merely shooting in the dark. You never really can predict the future with certainty, but you can egineer or tweak it to an extent.

For me what this issue highlights is that Nigeria is really messed up. I say this because you don’t have Germans, Norwegians, Swedes and Canadians hedging the future of their kids when having babies. I would think the critical issues that need to be addressed is the quality of life of the kids so they can grow up healthy and psychologically stable.

And these issues are better addressed in Nigeria through better healthcare system and early childhood education so your kids can compete with their counterparts in the rest of the world. There is so much racism out there in the real world of white people that being black can be a stigma in an environment where kids are not raised with their parent’s cultural sensitivities and sense and ownership of place.

Blacks everywhere in the western world are still fighting for whole acceptance. I am not sure when they will ever be accepted.

• Blessedheart

August 26, 2015 at 1:42 pm

This just sums up the rationale behind the decision I made. Thankfully, my HMO covers very good hospitals so I believe I’ll get good care in Nigeria. Safe delivery dear. *hugs*

44. Oyinkan

August 25, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Is this topic even debatable? Simply google international morbidity rates or infant mortality rates. If you can afford to have a child outside of Nigeria, you obviously should.

August 26, 2015 at 4:44 am

The US have the 4th highest mortaility rate among developed countries in the world….dont americans live here in nigeria ni???? na wa, so much complex in people’s head

45. king of truth

August 25, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Everyone bears the cross of decisions they make…giving birth in America is simply because most folks believe their financial situation would not remain the same over a long period so they want to buy a future for thier kids early…the truth is…..regardless of what you do….The kids would determine thier own life.

August 26, 2015 at 4:46 am

The future of america is not looking great at all…the crisis is not ending anytime soon and take note, there might tax clearance for citizenship purposes…..

46. Bowl

August 25, 2015 at 7:51 pm

@ natu, the bigger deceit is believing in a system that doesn’t believe in you. The American dream belongs to the American white. You only live upto a deception that you are when you can never be. Ndo

• Word

August 26, 2015 at 1:42 am

Bowl, it is not true. The America dream is for everybody, white, black, brown, and yellow! What about Nigeria. The Nigeria dream belongs to the Northern elite or you have forgotten that Nigerian is a tribalistic country!

August 26, 2015 at 4:47 am

i think u just hurt her feeling, that been black isn;t that beautiful…..but u’re right anyway

47. DualaGirl

August 26, 2015 at 4:46 am

False, we still have citizenship by birth here in Canada. I live in Canada where i own the citizenship. I’m pregnant right now and have a high risk pregnancy since day 1 of the conception. I spend the first trimester bleeding every day like a cow, i thank God every day for this country cause they are taking care of me very well, i know if i was in my country Cameroon me and my baby would have been history(God forbid). Only for the healthcare here, i encourage everyone who can afford to go abroad and give birth. I can’t count how many women and babies are diying in Cameroon just because of negligence, lack of professionalism just because some Dr are just chasing money or poor healthcare. About the passeport also, it’s not a bad idea, just knowing my son will not have to stay in a long line outside a gate of an embassy under the sun to apply for a visa, i give thanks to God for that. I prefer to pay him visa fee for Cameroon than take a risk for him to not have some chances in life since Cameroon doesn’t recognize dual citizenship

48. naawaa

August 26, 2015 at 12:52 pm

@Jide please come home and start paying that your tax here so we can develop Nigeria or stop attacking people who are trying to give their Kids the opportunity your parents gave.

• Dolapo

August 26, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Lol. You mean Jide should come and find Tunde Fowler’s lavish lifestyle? At least there is accountability in the US tax system. Nigeria taxes corruption story for another day.

49. Shimera

August 26, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Problem is not people taking advantage of a loophole. Problem is the loophole.
    When the US founding fathers wrote the 14th amendment, they never tought about hordes of nigerians or chineses coming to take advantage of it.
    And you can turn it in any way you want, it’s not fair to the US. Yes you pay your medical bills but does it make ok that the us gets to deal with so called citizen who don’t know crap about the country, never lived there and just pop out at 18 yo and ask for scholarships and aids paid by other people ?
    The US should stop this craziness called birthright citizenship and the sooner, the better.

August 26, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Finally someone can see my point of view…congress has been debating on this issue for a while and with the way things are going, i won’t be surprised if they adjust that amendment to make it a requirement that least one of the parent must be legally resident in the US or be a citizen…na small small e dey start nah!!! Donal Trump has already promised to kick out all the illegal immigrants, na small small e dey start ooo…..with a predominantly white america and growing unemployment and debt portfolio, any immigration policy to streamline the population would be welcomed….if u don’t live in america, pay ur taxes to american govt etc….they would gladly take that pally from your anchor baby

50. jaiye

September 8, 2015 at 11:33 pm

i think if you van afford it why not, if you cant its not a do or die affair, I think the oppourtunity to school abroad is not a bad idea, the child doesnt have to live abroad and for those saying the kids will come after 18 years to apply for loans their parents didnt contribute a cent to, its called a loan right so i*m thinking it would be paid back. Its also possible that 18yrs from now a man that could pay $10,000 hospital bill would be able to pay his childs fees. just saying

51. nuela

November 19, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I want to have my second baby in the US. Yes!! For status, for a better life, for citizenship, for insurance, bite me! Lol.
    My question is what are the step by step procedures from acquiring a visa to the best hospitals in Texas, Arizona etc, cost, getting my babys passport/visa, accommodation etc.
    Please someone with experience should give me the information or email me @[email protected] thanks in advance.

52. Mrs a

March 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

HI BN. I see you are an expert lol. I have a few questions please. At the point of entry, I declare I’m there to give birth abi? What documents do I need to show at the point of entry. Do I pay my bills before going? Do I get letters or something from the doctors office and hospital? Please help a confused lady out .lol. thanks God bless you