Sweet Spot

“Instagram Lies Too Much” – Chef Fregz Shares his Thoughts on Keeping up with Social Media

Fregz

Over the past couple of years, social media has evolved greatly. And although there are numerous advantages of this evolution, there are also disadvantages.

GbubemiChef Fregz’ Fregene shares his thoughts on how social media – especially Instagram – has added more ‘fakeness’ to people.

He posted his thoughts on Instagram:

Last night a friend and I got into a conversation about “fakeness” of people in Lagos.
My response was simple: We are part of the problem.

Instagram lies too much.

Instagram Amplifies Way too much and shows people envy and the unecessary race to belong and be extremely cool.

It’s tough for a lot if us to be comfortable in our skin,level of income and status in life. But abeg who doesn’t want to arrive? It’s tough for us to know who is for real these days and the strugglers. But your father doesn’t have old one why are you now hustling to travel all around the world with the old money kids?

Why are we buying asoebi for someone that’s not even your besto? but you gast hashtag the wedding name and maybe TojuFoyeh or one of the happening designers so that they can know you’ve arrived. Or as a guy you’ve bought Gucci slippers and popped all the bottles in the club whereas no fuel in your generator and your house is like forever on going construction.

Truth be told we never really grow out of peer pressure. I know it’s tough to aspire to want the best things in life. But it’s actually okay to admit to your self that you can’t afford it or be on that level.

Let everyone be cool and you be cool in your own lane.

The fact that you have 10k dollars in your account doesn’t mean you must pepper us with Fendi and Freens. Why can’t you invest and and build something!? Me for one I fell victim to this “Let them know I have arrived” last year but I paid dearly for it. I learnt to build rather to microwave some facade of “we are perfect!” Ideally what I’m wearing today should be 20k fabric. Okunoren twins custom sewn…and Gucci slippers for 500£ hian! Have I bought mixer and industrial oven? But ello Bae! I’m keeping it real with my @magnumstitches Da Viva up and down. And @overalls_bespoke slippers.

Don’t get it twisted this time next year by his grace I would be rocking Okunoren twins and perhaps buy Gucci handkerchief for startrers.

Just thought to keep it real and hopefully someone can learn from this.

Don’t let the gram dictate your life.

What are your thoughts?

1. www.folasoasis.com

August 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Mehn this is just too deep and TRUE. We need to learn to be more true to ourselves and be real.
    folasoasis.com

• Temi

August 10, 2015 at 7:47 pm

TELL that to ADAKU UFERE aka @LOVETWP AND THE REST OF THEM, miami this today miami this tomorrow…. I think when u get to a certain age, some things should stop….

• sass

August 10, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Bet why are you a monitoring spirit? Someone that is young, single and upwardly mobile should not travel again? I mean the showing off part sucks but freethe babe abeg.

• Ello Bae

August 10, 2015 at 8:41 pm

No sweetie. Adaku can live her life however she pleases. I don’t even know her but whatever someone decides to post on their social media is totally up to them. How you interpret it is your problem. Nobody forced you to follow her. Jealousy never looks good on anyone. Stop it and live a happy life.

• Aunty Nunu

August 10, 2015 at 9:50 pm

See beef o!. She works damn hard to take any vacation she takes. Is it your money?? Why are people like this?
      Yes I am Adaku’s stan. Sue me!!!

2. x-factor

August 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Gbam!

• Temi

August 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Oh shatapp Adaku! Read very well, noone said anything about jealousy. Stupidity is real.

• Aunty Nunu

August 11, 2015 at 8:47 am

Your issues have issues Temi. You need a psych evaluation. I am not Adaku. Y dont you block her from ur IG. That way you dont have to keep stalking her page.

3. bunmi

August 10, 2015 at 3:20 pm

So true…. lol!!!

4. www.Anemistyle..com

August 10, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Gosh this is so true! Well said chef!

5. cookie

August 10, 2015 at 3:25 pm

one of the reasons why I’m not on that Sh!t! “fakeness” everywhere …smh

6. iwalewa

August 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

so trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. u just made my day.

7. Ese_sleek

August 10, 2015 at 3:36 pm

hmmm,,the *i-must-belong* syndrome…
    It only takes God’s grace and self-discipline …
    I have learnt early enough that it is very expensive trying to be someone else…
    lol @
    hian! Have
    I bought mixer and industrial oven?

• vikky

August 10, 2015 at 5:21 pm

It reminds me of a statement “when you feel that you are in some way inadequate, it will always feel as if you have something to prove

8. Fix it

August 10, 2015 at 3:38 pm

“Don’t let the gram dictate your life” Word! My Instagram account is for “looking ” I don’t have the time to show off, it’s draining! If your life is really perfect and happy you won’t need likes and validation from strangers. Why will I take pictures each day and flaunt designers bags? It’s okay to pose don’t get me wrong, and no I am not a hater I have several designers bags. I buy myself one each year because I can afford to. But, I don’t understand why people post pictures like that especially intimate ones with their spouse for strangers to like. I get it if you love taking pictures and just happen to have that dior skin bag on your arms, but to actively carry bag, apply makeup, pose, edit and post a picture for likes ? It just makes no sense to me. Who is all this posing for? What meaning does 100k followers bring to your life? Unless your page is for advert, why do you need 100k followers (strangers) ? And strive to be the next local instagram “IT”

• i do not know you, neither do you know me

August 10, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Fix it, can i give you a hug and a kiss PLEASE? a good example is @tttfashionfreak, “arashow no beef intended” i love you but mehn…….

• chu

August 10, 2015 at 5:38 pm

as in arashow @tttfashionfreak is an example of someone living for instagram likes, i started following her cos of her fabrics but had to unfollow when most of the post was about her enjoying life. that woman is so vain, not a hater o but i think she exposes her family(husband and children aka omo baba olowo as she calls them) too much for public judgement, ***okbye**

• Seun

August 10, 2015 at 6:30 pm

oh my goodness! yes arashow. ????. Her whole life is for the gram. I cant even remember if i follow her but she stays popping up on my timeline.

9. Thatgidigirl

August 10, 2015 at 3:42 pm

with Instagram it isn’t just about keeping up with the joneses, the attention seeking is on another level. An ex classmate put up a pic of herself crying for her late father and wrote an ode to him underneath……sister!!! Your father just died, can’t u genuinely grieve for him? At what point did u stop to take a pic of your tears, decide which pic is sober enough and add a filter? I was even madder at the ppl that offered their condolences/ gave her a fix of attention. Why so fake??

• Que

August 10, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hahahahahaaaaa….. @ “…girll….”. you will soon hear “…people grieve in different ways…” even abnormal ones…. it aiiight!

• bruno

August 10, 2015 at 4:44 pm

jesus christ!!!! people who take pictures of themselves while they’re crying are beyond pathetic.why would anybody in their right mind take a selfie when they are crying? so stupid.

u should unfollow her quickly, if possible block her. she is a waste.

• Peaches77

August 11, 2015 at 11:15 am

hahahahahahahaha, i cant stop laughing, hahahahahahahahahah!!

10. Babe

August 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I believe its what/who you choose to follow o. Anyone still influenced by “‘peer pressure” at a certain age has issues. Its just instagram. Enjoy looking at the pictures of those who choose to flaunt and take what you want from it…..good or bad

• Zoey

August 10, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I tire o. All these people complaining about what someone chooses to put on their own page, like they should feel sorry or it is their fault that other people are feeling oppressed or feel the need to fit in to match the joneses. Some of them are truly Joneses (they can afford it) and we now live in an exhibitionist society. It is up to you on the other hand to decide which thoughts you let into your head. Don’t blame the gram abeg. It isn’t their fault. You are the one that has the problem.
      We now live in a world of victimisation, even self inflicted ones too. It isn’t your own fault, but it is the fakeness on IG that is causing you to go and buy things you can’t afford. You sef must have it in you to show off, which is why you will so called get “oppressed” by what you see on Instagram and then go and buy your own, so you can so therefore, SHOW OFF too. It is a vicious cycle and the sooner people begin to tell themselves the truth, the better, not this sermon on the mount to act all superior and make them feel better about themselves. Likewise it is an ego trip because everybody will come and be commenting massaging his head. Well said, Chef, well said, thought provoking post. Intellectual show off too dey o. Yeye dey smell.. You are just as bad. It is only the realisation that you can’t afford to keep up with the lifestyle, that is now causing all this sermon on the mount. I can bet that if there wasn’t a review of finances and he and the rest people feeling “oppressed” could afford to continue catching up with the Joneses, we won’t hear sermons. See how he nicely interjected that by this time next year he will be wearing Okunoren and Gucci, which I can bet he won’t hesitate to mention on “the gram”, when the pepper lands. So, who is deceiving who here. Bros, you can’t afford to keep up, and that is okay. Pleased for you that you recognised it on time, before you wrecked yourself.
      Bottom line, no one can influence you unless you let them. You choose to either follow people or go to their page to check up on them. You, made that conscious decision. If what you see influences you, again YOU let that happen. You can scroll away or click on the unfollow button. Simples

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

August 10, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Completely agree. If you were raised well enough, you should have been taught to cut your coat according to your cloth. The fact that a wealthy girl is putting up photos of her carrying her Chanel bag she didn’t blink to buy (or maybe even saved money to buy) does not mean you should now feel like you have to go borrow money to buy and compete with her. I get angry when I see fake designer bags/clothes because I would rather you look great in Asos and Aldo than Channel.

Rather than be oppressed, work harder to be able to put more money in your account and enough dispensable income to afford luxury goods.

• Tunmi

August 11, 2015 at 4:15 am

Lmaoooo it was that part about by this time next year he will be wearing Okunoren and Gucci that truly got me. Like sahnnnn, you are doing the same ish you complain others do. It’s okay, you want to belong too. It’s human nature to want to belong but what do you want to belong to? I have my close knit group and my professional circle and those are enough for me. How you want to tension yourself for someone’s luxury life or things is wayyy beyond me. You always have the option to unfollow or block

11. Loyola

August 10, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Nothing fake about you living your life to empress others.Nothing new under the sun,So nothing is going to change.If it is pinching you, then join in, there is a lot of room,The bigger problem is the people who judge these people.How do you know they don’t have investments.If it is irritating you, oh boy get off their timeline.

• Jenny

August 10, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Living your life fake to impress others insist only fake, it’s stupid and unreasonable. I’m sure you’re part of them that’s why it’s hurting you deeply. You’ll be alright.

• Tai omo Yoruba nimi

August 10, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Abi o tell am Jenny ,it’s really paining Loyola because she is exactly that type of person that chef fregene is talking about. Pls there’s more to life than Instagram and showing off vanity stuff. Get a life and stay classy

• Nia

August 10, 2015 at 4:28 pm

My fren shut up, fake ass idiot so you cant see nothing wrong in it! Gerara here

• Nia

August 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm

@loyola

12. mary

August 10, 2015 at 3:54 pm

it’s a nice piece, we can’t deny the fact that a lot of us are allowing the social media buzz to dictate our lives. a lot of girls would kill just to be a part of that Asoebi even when they do not know the bride or the groom, but as long as the parents of the soon to wed are among the creme de la creme of the society, girls would lobby their way through so they can post pics on IG and hashtag the newly wed even without knowing them. a couple of years ago, the importance of one taking a vacation was to get some rest from work and probably visit parents to spend some time with them in the case where one’s work schedules do not allow so much time to see family members. these days peeps take by force vacay even if it is for 3 days just to be in dubai or Paris to take pics and post. they save money to be on Business class to show to friends what class they belong to, those who fly in the Economy do not bother to take pics, most peeps would even take a pic of the flight ticket and post, focusing on the “class” they are flying in. it’s crazy i know. a lot will announce the anticipated trip before hand, e.g much needed vacay, Miami, paris loading. A while ago, people dressed appropriately the way they wanted to be addressed, now the world of social media compels peeps to post that designer bag, shoe, dress etc just to impress a certain social circle which they belong to, its no longer about what looks good on you, its about which designer you are wearing. isn’t it in this era of social media that we as Africans have started posting the ultrasound picture of a yet to be born child, and even announce the sex and name as early as first trimester. Does it mean that we are growing to meet up with the Western standard? or that we are allowing social media to make us share a lot of things that are supposed to be private. A lot of us are guilty.

• S!

August 10, 2015 at 6:35 pm

If you can afford to travel to take pics, do you! What’s wrong if someone travels and takes pics and posts them on IG Biko? There is a rule to what to post on IG, and posting pics of your vacation isn’t against any rule.
      Like someone mentioned above, if you get easily influenced it’s your fault, not the person on the other end of the phone.
      If you don’t like what you see, unfollow. Leave IG kukuma. Who forced you to join? Come and be dictating how someone should live their lives I top their own money again. If you want to Keep Up by all means do, I just hope you don’t realise when it’s too late.

13. Arin

August 10, 2015 at 4:01 pm

For someone who says a lot on instagram toooo, puleaseeeee

14. Uju

August 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Very true. My Instagram and Facebook accounts are for ‘looking’ only. There’s a lot of fakeness around……… If you get carried away with it you lol never be happy.

Since I semi- quit Facebook , I ve been the better for it. I pop in every few months or so, spy a little then I m out. Your real friends don’t need impressing.

15. Jenny

August 10, 2015 at 4:08 pm

You’re right. But some of your friends are part of the liars. You should tell them one on one. I know many of them.
    Needless to say, vey honest, and thought-provoking post.

16. PI

August 10, 2015 at 4:16 pm

The one i still can not and would not understand is u posting two or three pictures dressed in different outfits asking which one to wear! hain madam…. some random people on instagram should choose what u should wear. u had time to wear 2 dresses and someone snapped the picture( u sha could not asked ur photgrapher which one u looked best in oh) then u ask the world which one is better. abi is it the ones that go into a shop and snap pictures and say red shoe or blue shoe, bros cant u send that picture to one person perharps ur sister to ask the question .. no the whole world needs to know you are buying a shoe…. dont get me started on the cooking and posting everyboody is a chef now!.. but wait oh some of these instagram celebrities aka fashion bloggers i can imagine the pressure to buy new items just to wear and post, and some of them are students oh…. finally please you people should continue, u give me something to relax in traffic, inbetween meetings and just before i sleep… wait did i forget the vacation posters

17. Timmy T

August 10, 2015 at 4:17 pm

@Loyola you so wrong! actually the likes that gat stuff going on for them hardly flaunt on IG…but hey I don’t judge. It keeps me entertained so let the pics roll in..lol…shit! am here typing instead of attending to my patients bYE…

18. Laila

August 10, 2015 at 4:22 pm

On a slightly different tangent, what annoys me is when Nigerians give you grief for not joining in the “shakara”.

That’s how I went home to Lagos last Christmas and friends were insulting me because I didn’t come correct*.

I said “Haba! I came comfortable, none of you pay my salary or anyone else in Lagos for that matter, so I can’t be expending energy to shine for you.” I don’t care what other people are doing. Floss for the gram or not, but don’t give me headache on top it.

I’ve learnt that I appreciate experiences more than things, and that’s just me. $250 for a pair of jeans?!? Never. $25o for a lovely dinner at Au Pied du Cochon, count me in.

*My list of transgressions included;
    -Not using a make-up artist for the weddings I attend-end
    – Not getting a weave or my nails done in that pointy style
    – Not decking up to simply go and eat out or whatever
    – Not having Instagram/Facebook/Snapchat etc.

• Blackbeauty

August 10, 2015 at 5:10 pm

As in! If you’re attending a wedding and you don”t get your makeup and gele tied professionally, you’re a learner o! But ladies have time these days sha. Why would i spend 30k on asoebi, another 10k on sewing and 7-10k on make up when I am in no way the star of the occasion? I guess we all have different priorities sha.

• Nahum

August 10, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I swear we are the same person.

19. Nia

August 10, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Gbam Everyone is rich on instagram and China has just made it worse, fake designer stuff here and there being flaunted as real, the tensioning is just too much, our women opening breasts and ass for likes degrading themselves up and dan, too much packaging going on on instagram, its all fake, if you are clever you wont believe what you see on the gram

20. Pretty O

August 10, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Sooo true dear… My friend that i’ve known for a little while… she got married 3yrs ago, before wedding sef, there were signs of trouble, but baby girl had to keep up with the posh ”i’ve gotten ring and i want a fab wedding”. After wedding ceremony, more fire in the marraige and on top off all the drama, if u see her instagram… u wuld be like ”biko, what am i doing with my life”. She wuld be praising husband that does not give a shit about her or the marraige. She will forcefully by any means, try to keep up with all the designer stuff… all in the name of social media. It is we the close family and few friends that knows what goes on behind all these false pictures. So please my loves, social media is just a platform.. it’s not real. Behind those cute couple pics, matching designers bags and shoes, bae this bae that!! Omo there’s a lot of fire o, most times at least. Be content with what you have and when $$$ rolls in treat urself every once in a while, u deserve ur hard earn $$$. Toodles!

21. Nia

August 10, 2015 at 4:27 pm

And the mention of I must be popular Toju Foyeh as a desginer to be reckoned with is laughable sha, becasue shes your padi for jungle kwakwkakwa

• Ada Nnewi

August 11, 2015 at 9:49 am

Leave Toju alone….How did she offend you now?

22. heyy

August 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm

@loyola, why do u sound like one of those people living their life for the gram? the writer definitely made a very valid point so whats with the .
    ‘If it is irritating you, oh boy get off their timeline” the irritating thing here is that you chose to conclude that its all about hating once again…smh, get a life

23. Que

August 10, 2015 at 4:40 pm

O dear Instalife….lol… he forgot to mention the ‘fleekers’….everything fleeking, even babies are now fleeking out other babies…everything is for show n competition these days… this quote here is the real lesson… “…Have I bought mixer and industrial oven?…” in essense instead of using your fresh change to buy Gucci, best buy something that will advance your wealth creation abilities…. that way someday, Gucci P.shoppers will be doing personal delivery to you.

Last week after the infamous bank debtors list was published I heard a lady on the radio say specifically ‘…debt is the new wealth…’ her point?… much of the modern day wealth flash depends heavily on credit….a lot of which many debtors will not redeem in their lifetime, infact some have no intentions of paying back…. then you in your calm hustling lane will take it upon yourself to be dragging G-Wagon driving with them…. biko, help yourself…

24. Anonymous

August 10, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Say she no know me .. Shawty talk say she no know me .. Oya, take a picture & instagram that pic!!

25. Ocean Beauty

August 10, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I still don’t understand how Instagram, Twitter, snapchat (just heard that one recently) work. When ever any blog carries a gossip on Instagram, I struggle to understand the gist because I don’t understand who is referring to who, what the @ in front of a person’s name stands for.
    I have learned not to disturb my sweet head.
    What I own stays in my house or on my body not on IG

• whocares

August 11, 2015 at 10:26 am

@Ocean Beauty THANK YOU!!! lool. I dont understand them. I do not have twitter, IG, or snapchat. I just dont understand. You should see me when I am going through these young people’s IG and snapchat. Sure it is entertaining but two minutes into it I usually carry their phone to them and ask for what I did wrong. They in turn laugh, and then help me get back to where I was again. who is talking to who,and how do other people join? Its all over the place. Again, this might be my technology resistant self talking o. I find it difficult to operate smart phones above a nokia lumia.. so that should give you an idea of what I am working with here.
      I actually enjoy snapchat. I think majority of people on it are stupid (or it might just be these young people) They take snaps of nonsense; someone will be in their room and say “ooh guys, I feel like eating groundnut” and take a snap of that.. WTF! In as much as I enjoy it, it gives me high blood pressure as well .
      I find IG funny as they mostly post funny pictures and what not. So that is entertaining too. But for me to have one? No way! I have been contemplating twitter though. Lots of things get done there professionally.

• Peaches77

August 11, 2015 at 11:24 am

Singing…. ‘You are not alone…’

26. Niola

August 10, 2015 at 5:14 pm

ehya … I am not on BBM, facebook, instagram or twitter, I do not need others to validate me.
    Lesson 1: Please only God, once you are aligned with this thought process, what a simple life you will end of living
    Lesson 2: Invest ooooo, stop living for now, live for the future. Have sustainable wealth
    Lesson 3: I cant stress this enough, take your life of social media, forget that we like in a very dark continent, but living your life on social media will put you under so much pressure, darlings and trust me it wont be diamonds that will be made, na charcoal ooo

• [email protected]

August 12, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Lol! The fact that you really believe people are only on social media for validation is laughable. People get jobs off there, transact business, close deals, educate people, help enrich others’ lives, spread awareness, dispense useful information, make connections that could never be possible ‘in real life’. Like any new technology, there are ups and downs, but in this case you would be a fool or just using social media wrong if you think the bad outweighs the good. But nah, stay on your high horse preaching about things you don’t even understand. Bisous.

27. Looker

August 10, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I think loyola has a point, if u guys know all deir flauting and fleeking is fake why judge dem.If thats wat makes dem happy.biko make dem do.I also feel that it is d people that feel oppressed that are complaining.And it really seems like it is hating if u have to question how they are capable of their enjoyments thins.Nigerians only think it is ok when they post their own pic but when another does it, dey will say it is flauting.Signs of why this country will never move foward.Biko Nigerians learn to always check urselfs.Even oyinbo dey do am,

• Shandi

August 10, 2015 at 5:47 pm

“Even oyinbo dey do am,”??? See your life! Smh.
      Inferiority”

28. vikky

August 10, 2015 at 5:22 pm

29. Pete

August 10, 2015 at 5:22 pm

U people make me laff,plus the chef fregz sef, u spend all day refreshing the instagram feed to see what people are doing and then complain that they are posting stuff.Na wa, what are you looking for there before, Then when they seem to be enjoying plenty, it will turn to hate and fight.Na u be their audience nah.

30. Benbella

August 10, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Overflogged topic, but I will just say this:

– Anyone who is naive enough to believe that everything they see on social media is real and an accurate depiction of reality, is probably not mature enough to face life, and deserves to feel “oppressed” (I hate that word) by the unwanton show of affluence.

– Like Chef said, people should stay in their own lane, and do not be unduly intimidated by the comeuppance of others. You were born by your self (unless you are a twin/triplet) and you will die by yourself. Have faith in your own ability and strength. It is also useless to envy someone’s success when you put in less work than them, or are not prepare to give up or forgo what they did to obtain that success. And some of them committed murder most foul, in order to be able to “slay” on Instagram (no pun intended). Every mallam for him kettle. Every Nna for him market stall. Stay in your lane, or get run over by those living the fast life

– Some people get paid to floss or project a certain lifestyle on social media. Some are promoting businesses (ie. 50 cent with Effen Vodka; P.Diddy with Ciroc). Some of the celebs actually need that exposure equity to keep their names in rotation. Ye of ordinary 9-5 life need not compare yourself to them

– Some people are narcissistic and need the window of social media to display their peacock behavior. Some of them can actually afford the item they show off, and some do live that champagne lifestyle. Showing off wads of dollar bills, and a lifestyle with the jet set is not something i would personally do, but if they have it, it is their business na. So if they start jumping off the roof of a skyscraper, would I follow them too? No. There are rich people, there are poor people, there are sad people, there are happy people. That is life. Who bloody cares

• keke

August 10, 2015 at 11:18 pm

I love you…couldn’t have said it better…Thanks

• temz

August 12, 2015 at 9:02 am

I still do NOT Understand why you used the word COMEUPPANCE in that sentence.

31. Italian Princess

August 10, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Here’s an article I found interesting. 7 ways to be insufferable on Facebook. But you can replace it with ‘Social Media’ waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

32. Tai omo Yoruba nimi

August 10, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Oshe @ocean beauty ,I believe one day I will leave insta but for now I wanna feed my eyes ,kill boredom on public transport and just smh at the pathetic low lifers flaunting things of this world for mugus to drool over and tap into whatever it is that they are displaying,be it relationship,marriage,cars,clothes,shoes .. As if these things will enable you to make heaven ..this life sha!

33. Chenney

August 10, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Everyone typing their own lecture note here, We all know ourselves, just talk to yourself.

34. nwa papa

August 10, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Nigeria is such an oppressive society, all that I see whenever I look around is a case of look at me and what I’ve got.. Everyone’s trying to be what they are not, I’m not against enjoying the fruits of your labor and the trappings of success but a larger number of people are only putting on a facade and people fall for it… I see through the caca, so I’m not easily impressed with every Tom, Dick & Harry trying so hard to form.. Blame it on social media, I guess…

35. Elizabeth

August 10, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Great article, sometimes it’s good to disconnect from social media in general.

• True!

August 10, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Well said! Elizabeth, disconnect from social media in general. That was exactly what I did. It certainly has its pros and cons. I miss those days…were there were no social media. These days, one can’t even have a decent conversation with a spouse, there’s divided attention because he or she is scrolling nonstop for hours! From Instagram – Twitter – Facebook – Blogs – amidst chats on BBM & whatsapp….phew! It brings about a subtle division kinda, days of long talks uninterrupted by a ping or a buzz are long gone! We all have to make a conscious effort to PUT THE DEVICES AWAY! As christians, when was the last time, we actually sat down to truly study God’s word for ourselves? You could say oh! “I listen to messages” no! Thats’s not enough, you can’t leave on snacks! It’s got to be a full course meal! The whole works – the gospels, epistles, the old testament everything, there’s so much to discover, a good start could be from the book of Proverbs. The infiltration of social media in our daily lives is appauling, sounds like an overflogged subject but still very relevant. If you cannot do without social media, please CREATE A BALANCE! don’t let social media RUN YOUR LIVES! Don’t let it ruin the friendships you’ve built, we keep waiting for the other party to reach out first – via chat! (Smh), if you truly care, give them a call, it goes way beyond chats, don’t just sit there and say “she did not even click “like” on my picture bla bla bla.. phew! Draining!!!

36. Jojo

August 10, 2015 at 6:45 pm

what do you want us to do with our narcissism? Nice write up. On point 🙂

37. nwanyi na aga aga

August 10, 2015 at 7:07 pm

As funny as it sounds I love being on these social media, its very entertaining , the drama, the fakery, the lies.looool! In a very twisted way its quite funny to see gullible people deceived, cos I know some of these instagram/facebook stars and nothing dey..Do one penkeleme consulting for them, they cant pay, yet people re on their handles tapping and claiming their blessings..Odiegwu! I love looking, maybe that’s why i like these places ppl post pictures. Wedding pictures nko? i soo soo love looking at beautiful pictures, I love seeing fabulous weddings with borrowed money .hahahahahahaha! Call it twisted but its kinda very entertaining o, to see people awwing and wowing at debt.
    Ok seriously, i think anyone who is oppressed by what people you don’t know post on social media need a lot of self counseling. Oppression did not start today. 3 of my friends that are strong bellanaija wedding fans celebrated their weddings this year and believe me the only thing they took from bella was color combination and style shikena..One even had a dinner for 150 people strictly by invite. Biko if your head is still getting messed up with “filtered foto”, you either need some growing up to do or therapy sessions..Biko you peoples’ complain should not stop my daily entertainment abegggii, hahahahhaaha!

• On point

August 11, 2015 at 12:10 am

Lol we think alike. Thought i wrote this comment for a minute

• Blessedheart

August 11, 2015 at 11:05 am

Same here. I find Instagram very entertaining and I love to look at beautiful pictures. I’ve never felt oppressed by anyone. It’s like watching movies or reading novels to me. You don’t feel oppressed when you see the ‘good life’ in a movie, do you? If you feel oppressed, please think about why you feel that way. As for posting stuff, I post whatever I feel like, selfies, food, quotes, etc. I haven’t taken a selfie in about two months which means I haven’t posted any picture on Instagram in a while but I visit everyday to get my daily dose of entertainment. It’s not that serious abeg.

38. missatl

August 10, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I use facebook to kill boredom, I make it work for me not me work for them. ..as for the rest Satan’s social media network i.e instagram, snapchat et al alias lovers of themselves network, I am not interested.thanks satan for d offer but no thanks.

39. Timothy

August 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My 2 cents……what people chose to do, including the stuff they post on Instagram is their business, do whatever makes you happy as long as you aint hurting anyone or taking advantage of others in the process. If we choose to judge or appraise anyone”s life based on what they post on Instagram, that is our problem not theirs. What do we expect they post Instagram, sad pictures? Abeg.

As the saying goes, “to thyself be true”, so post whatever you want on social media, its what you truly feel inside you that is real, so you are affecting yourself not others and if others are affected by what you post, then they have a bigger problem…….lmao

Life is too short to allow oneself worry over what doesnt affect one’s ability to sleep well at night….lol.

I am in IG and i make comments of pictures of my friends or colleagues if i like them or have a reason to comment, doesnt make me feel worse or better. Its just a picture nah. Abeg, get a life Chef. See you sef mentioning “Okunoren”, shows you aint different from the same pple you are criticizing

• Aunty Nunu

August 11, 2015 at 9:04 am

My point exactly. If you dont like what someone puts up on IG just quietly unfollow them. I just see all this as lowkey jealousy. It might all be flossing but if you come to bellanaija to call someone out based on what you see on their IG page, you yourself have bigger issues

• Sky

August 11, 2015 at 12:42 pm

That’s all.

40. Timothy

August 10, 2015 at 8:53 pm

“…….i am on IG”

41. Bummi

August 10, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Facts about social media

Social media has turned into something else. At one point or the other we have all committed the sin of social media. Some times we wonder if the things we see on social media are real . I was inspired after reading chef Greg write up. On social media we compare ourselves to false images. Here is how I have classified the social media of today

1) party / wedding / owanbe

Most people out of their way just to belong to the high and mighty of the society. The most annoying thing is how some people struggle th buy asoebi when they don’t even know the bride and groom as long as the wedding is gonna be the talk of the town and all the creme de la creme , celeb, rich kids of the society will be attending same wedding and so the can post it on Instagram and hast tag the wedding and the newly wedded couple. People go as far as buying asoebi as high as 40k , then sew it is with the big designers like April by kunbi, then go the likes of shomya to get there makeup and gele done professionally, at the end of the day they spent almost 80k for asoebi +sewing + makeup for couple you don’t know , when u are not there relative or bestie or not the star at the wedding . Ladies and gentlemen please let’s be wise

2) Relationships
    Most relationships you see on social media appear prefect . If you actually believe everything you see on social media then you are still a learner . A friend of mine boyfriend was always cheating on her and beating her, all because he is cute and flashy that why she still we him , when she puts of a picture of them on Instagram you see 2k likes with lovely comment for people. The funniest thing is that the guy does not give her money, instead she fueling his Range Rover for him and on her birthday she had a dinner in wheatbaker hotel Ikoyi and manage to buy herself a fendi shoe and bag and post all the pictures of the birthday dinner with a caption ” my boo is the best surprised me with a dinner and my new fendi shoe and bag on da fleek” . You needed to see comments on her page, I wish my boo was like yours. Only if they knew all she did was make believe , lies and living a life to impress the public on social media. .when ever we go online we all feel like every other couple has a blissful relationship filled with milk and honey , smiles and roses.
    Let’s face reality ” every relationship you see on social media has its up and down times so be wise”

3) Traveling (Vacation)

The whole idea of traveling to me is to relax , chill, adventure . Traveling is incredible. I am also more guilty of radiating envy as I scroll through photo of people on trips I can’t afford yet. However most people on social media photo make vacation appear as its a reality show. Most people struggle to travel even if it just for a couple of days like 2-4days just to show off that they went to South Africa , Gambia , turkey , Paris , London on Instagram. Some even go as far as showing off of the travel on in there sugar daddy private jet or biz class or 1st class ticket so you know that the class they flew . Then the next thing you see is that they upload a picture saying vacation mood activated 56%. The struggle is REAL. I remember another of my friend went on a trip to the UK and stayed in a bed and breakfast for about 15pounds a night and uploaded a picture on Instagram close to Hilton with a caption ” I love my hotel the customer service great #hiltonchilling” Abeg make una help me ask am who dash monkey banana?

4) Appearance
    A big thanks to the people who created camera 360 , photo shop and the other photo editor where u can easily whitening your brown Dirty teeth and add hips and make your boobs appear bigger .most of the things you see ain’t real. We are human , we are not meant to look 100% prefect and are unique in other own way.
    The most common is the struggle to keep up with appearance. Taking pictures flaunting designer bags worth thousands of dollars. Most of the girls that carry does bags are carrying fake designer bags . I would rather carry a Zara bag then carry a fake Gucci bag, Hermes, Chanel bag . The level at which people carry fake stuffs on social media is sad. Just because you want them post pictures on fashion blogs like naijagirlskilling it. Don’t get me twisted if you can afford it feel free to show off u didn’t struggle to buy it or expect u save a bit to buy it , not like does “I must belong girls that will go as far as buying a fake Gucci bag for like 50k and say it is AA copy , let’s be real fake is fake whether aa copy or balogun copy all Na fake. The funniest thing is that this designers sometimes do private sales and u get all this luxury items for far less.

Ladies and gentlemen men, let’s have a rethink mad remember you are deceiving yourself not anybody

• layo

August 11, 2015 at 4:34 am

Bunmi I agree with you to an extent but for the fact that you wrote this very detailed epistle, I get the impression that you have studied a lot of people on social media – this in itself is a problem.

Social media is to be taken for face value. Observe lightly and move on. If these people chose to do all the things you listed about, wish them all the best and keep it moving.

Let’s stop taking panadol for other people’s headaches. Life is too short.

• MC

August 11, 2015 at 9:47 am

And she was able to use her friends as examples.
      Should I say more or stop there?

42. Word

August 11, 2015 at 1:43 am

Out here in Nyc we having an IG saying … Your Instagram is a liar. Lol people come up to you and say those words when they know u don’t have it on a lock 24/7 like you front on ig

43. Smh

August 11, 2015 at 9:22 am

I knew social media was a problem when I was deboarding an emirates flight and I saw my fellow economy passengers stop and pose in business class to take picture in the seats! I swear my mouth dropped. Lol. I just assumed all these #businessclass #vacationLoading people on IG were truly flying business class in which case, more grease to their elbow!!!! Anyway Biko instagram is entertaining and like many have said, it’s up to you to guard your hearts and minds.

44. Demilade

August 11, 2015 at 9:49 am

I agree with Chef Fregz , it’s very easy to get caught up in the whole Instagram fiasco.
    I believe that if you’re content with yourself, these things won’t bother you too much. Contentment is key to be honest. As many people have commented above, you’re the one who has to decide if social media will affect you or not. Everyone has a right to post what they want, it’s a free world. So those accusing others of living for social media ; it’s their life, not yours. They can do as they please. If their lifestyle doesn’t suit you, unfollow/block them. No need insulting them.
    If you truly want some of the things you see on Instagram , the solution is simple ; work hard so you can afford those things. xx

coco-bella.blogspot.com

45. Überhauté looks

August 11, 2015 at 10:50 am

Please oooo….let ladies continue the Aso Ebi and makeup ish ooo…@least, it’s helping the economy…hahaha
    At the end of the day, people will find it hard to help you cos of what you post on Instagram; they’ll think you have arrived thereby no need to use their hard earned money to help you!

46. ogamazi

August 11, 2015 at 11:24 am

The summary of it all is IFERIORITY COMPLEX.

47. tosin

August 11, 2015 at 12:59 pm

LOL…..get real lagosians on instagram., truth be told

48. Lou

August 12, 2015 at 5:16 am

That’s how in this Lagos my friend called me crying that her husband beat her up in front of her kids,I was went to see her we talked at length and cried together only to wake up the next morning with Instagram and. Facebook flooded with old pictures her and her of her loving boo” I’m still trying to recover from the shock

• Ese_sleek