Style

The Natural Hair Pop Quiz – Part 7: Is Natural Hair Too Expensive, Painful & Time Consuming?

Adeola Adegbusi

Natural Hair Pop Quiz - BellaNaija - April2015A few weeks back, we started a quiz series on the world of natural hair, where we look at popular myths and misconceptions about it in greater detail.

To get caught up, please check out quiz #1quiz #2quiz #3, quiz #4, quiz #5, quiz #6, but make sure to come back so we can debunk another natural hair myth.

This week, we’ll be looking at Quiz #7, which is;

Question: Is natural hair is too expensive, painful and time consuming?

Natural Hair Pop Quiz Coils and Glory - BellaNaija - August2015

Answer: There actually isn’t a right or wrong answer to this question because it’s all based on personal preference and lifestyle.

If you’re a newbie who is still testing the waters of natural hair care, then this would absolutely be true for you. However, if you’ve been in the game for a while now, then it might be completely false for you. Before we butt heads, let me explain the reasoning behind both sides of the coin.

Team True – Natural hair can be expensive, painful and time consuming.

Expensive: When you go natural, the first thing that you research is hair products. You first ask friends who have been natural for a while about the products they use to help keep their hair looking soft, shiny and curly. Then you go on YouTube and blogs to read about ‘The Top 10 Moisturizers Out There’ etc.

As if those aren’t enough, the next thing you do is to visit a few more websites to read about ‘The Top Natural Ingredients for Your Natural Hair’.  But wait, there’s more! Did you know that you need tools such as a satin pillow cases, bonnets, silk head wraps, brushes, curl-formers e.t.c to help maintain your hair? I can see the Naira signs racking up already.

After hoarding all these products, before you know it, you’ve spent your life savings building a personal beauty supply store in your bathroom!

Painful: One of the many things that come to the minds of women when thinking about going natural is how they’ll comb their hair. How many of you can count the number of combs your hair has broken? How about that painful and tearful experience of combing your stubborn hair? The truth is that, handling natural hair in it’s natural state can feel like torture! Especially when you don’t know what you’re supposed to be doing.

Time Consuming: Did you know that you’re supposed to wash and deep condition your hair every week, moisturize it daily, and style it almost every morning? By the way, how’s your wash day looking? Does it take up a full day? Because by the time you’ve pre-pooed, shampooed, conditioned and deep conditioned your hair, before spending another 2-3 hours attempting a BOMB braid out, you’d be shocked to find out that your entire Saturday is G-O-N-E – Gone!

Now, let’s look at the other side of that coin we talked about.

Team False: Natural hair is inexpensive, pain-free and doesn’t take a lot of time. Since I fall on this side of the coin, I will be talking from my experience.

In-Expensive: For me, I’ve been able to save a lot more money by going natural because I no longer have to spend money on relaxing my hair. And because I can now do my hair myself, I can save the money I would have spent getting my hair done every month or two and spend it on hair products and other things. Since I rarely (once a year) wear extensions, I’ve been able to allocate this money on other things.

I am a low manipulation Naturalista so I find that my products can last up to a year or more in many cases. This makes my natural hair game fabulous on a budget.

Pain-Free: I am my own stylist, so my hair doesn’t hurt when I’m styling it. On the rare occasion that I have someone else do it, I always make sure to comb my hair myself before going to them, and I will instruct the stylist not to comb my hair, except when parting it.

Also, for the longest time, I did not use combs on my hair – instead, I would use my fingers to detangle my hair. I also experience less pain because I can be very patient and gentle with my hair since it’s vulnerable to breakage and grows slowly.

Time: My wash days are bi-weekly, so I’ve been able to save lots of time every other weekend. Basically, my regimen looks something like this; On the weekends I do Two Strand Twists or a Pin-Up Hairstyle, and for the weekends, you’ll find me in a Classic Up-Do.

I no longer attempt hairstyles that take more than 5 minutes in the morning. Instead, I would simply wear a bun or a simple up-do when I’m crunched for time. I only play with my hair when I have lots of time in my hands.

So in conclusion, the natural hair game cane go one way or the other, depending on you. It can be expensive, painful and time consuming when you don’t know what you’re doing. But the good news is that by building a regimen and sticking to it, you can happily transition to the other team.

Which team are you part of? How are you making the transition to the other side? Share your thoughts!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | CoilsandGlory.com

Hi, my name is Adeola, I'm a natural hair blogger who is passionate about helping YOU to achieve your hair goals, whether it be to have longer hair, softer hair or a healthy head of hair in general. I know what it’s like to be clueless about natural hair, and this is why I’m here to help you create a practical hair care routine that will give you softer hair that is less painful to comb, easier to manage and that can grow long. To get these practical tips, VISIT my WEBSITE to DOWNLOAD MY FREE E-BOOK.

1. ChiChiChilolo

August 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Team false. *Eating beans and corn*

2. sunshine

August 21, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Am thinking of joining the natural hair thing………what hair products do u recommend to make it more managable

• Ex Team Natural

August 21, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Though I am now Texlaxed (I texturised to make it more manageable ).
      I wash sometimes with Black soap (Dudu Osun) or I just co-wash (Washing with a conditioner instead of a shampoo).
      CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN CONDITIONER. (This is BAE)
      Black Jamaican Castor Oil
      SHEA BUTTTER in its raw form also helps
      You can mix it with Oils (Coconut, Almond,Castor Or Olive)
      WATER (The most important ) . Put it in a spray bottle (you can add some conditioner or glycerin into it ) and spray in on like a magic potion *twirls*

• Onetallgirl

August 21, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Find products that are water based meaning that water is the first ingredient on the ingredient list like a leave in conditioner, as long as you moisturizer your hair, it will be manageable.

3. Papermoon

August 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I use only castor oil for my hair and rarely use any other products.
    I wash (I mean proper scrubbing) my hair once a week.
    When my hair is not in a twist I always pour water in it when I am bathing which makes it soft and easy to comb any time.

I often tease it out with my fingers and hold an updo.

When the hair is in a twist and it gets dirty, I wash the twist if I don’t want to pick it. It becomes clean and nice again. Washed twist gets some bounce.

Natural hair, all you need is water……….And the oil of your choice……….all others………depends.

4. Sarah

August 21, 2015 at 2:16 pm

How to comb natural hair – pour some conditioner in your hand, add some hair oil of your choice, rub into your hair and comb after five minutes.

Your hair would be super soft all day.

5. Gerry

August 21, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Team True and False. Yes it expensive and consumes time but definitely not painful. After spending so much money on products the hair can’t afford to be strong o. I honestly do not understand how people style their hair everyday. I tried it once and it was tiring I just bought me a wig. Notwithstanding, I have no intention of perming my hair again.

• Paper

August 21, 2015 at 8:30 pm

How to style it everyday, just pour water in it when bathing, towel it and it will comb easily and styling too.

6. kayla

August 21, 2015 at 2:46 pm

its only expensive when you’re a product junky…these days I just experiment with different natural stuffs like honey, coconut oil, eggs, herbs etc but when you say time consuming I can’t disagree, especially on wash days phewww!!! currently transitioning 🙂

7. Hafi's Blacksoap, Oils and Butters

August 21, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Egbe team odikwa expensive mbok!!!!!!

Let’s be brutally honest more so I have been looking for the opportunity to vent!!!!!!??.
    Despite the fact that I produce natural hair stuffs , I still sympathize with my customers . You can’t help but compare yourself with the you tubers and those that flaunt their product purchase spree stash in your face and when you total their purchases, it’s running over 8k. And it doesn’t stop there. DIYs can be cheap if you stick to eggs, honey and mayo. When awon divas start listing fenugreek, flaxseed, clays, etc you tend to feel like Cinderalla before she went to the ball. When I hear some say they only use Shea butter, I’m angry and at the same time envious of their godly contentment…. Despite being told that Emily Millonaire isn’t good because of the alcohol content, I still use it. My joy in being a natural is that my exposure and ingestion of harmful chemical products has reduced greatly.

8. TofuNation

August 22, 2015 at 10:38 am

TO BE HONEST, YESSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSS YESSSSSS IT’S NOT EVEN ABOUT BEING A PRODUCTJUNKIE SEF, YOU CAN’T JUST BE MANIPULATING YOUR HAIR EVERYTIME SO YOU GOTTA DO “PROTECTIVE STYLES” ALMOST EVERY MONTH AND THESE THINGS AIN’T CHEAP. EDGE CONTROL WILL BE LIKE YOUR DAILY BREAD, AND IF YOU HAVE EDGES LIKE MINE, YOUR GONNA HAVE TO KEEP STOCKING THOSE ?.
    THAT SAID, IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? WELL IM NOT SURE, BUT IM OKAY WITH IT FOR NOW. #DATSALL

9. Amah

August 22, 2015 at 3:12 pm

So for how long will they go natural? Till dey get old? .. I still don’t get the all natural ish… U can relax ur hair and use protective hair products for ur hair and it’s still going be long… I donno sha.. Buh mine works for me