Scoop

It’s Shonda Rhimes’ World! See 4 Sizzling Hot Covers of her Hit Series for Entertainment Weekly

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

ew-1380-01-shonda-cover

The leading ladies for all three of Shonda Rhimes’ hit series join her on the cover of Entertainment Weekly and we love it!

Just a few hours after revealing an EPIC photo with the cast of How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes has landed the cover spot with Kerry Washington, Viola Davis and Ellen Pompeo – three ladies that make us #ThankGodItsThursday.

Entertainment Weekly blessed the world with 3 additional covers featuring the stars of her hit series.

EW-1380-02-GREYS-COVER EW-1380-03-SCANDAL-COVER EW-1380-04-MURDER-COVER

Here’s what they had to share with EW about their shows – and Shonda.

Ellen Pompeo on the sexist response to McDreamy’s death: “All of a sudden, ­Patrick [Dempsey] leaves, and it’s like, Oh my God, ­Meredith’s gonna get killed with Alzheimer’s! The show couldn’t possibly go on ­without the man!

Viola Davis on colorism in the entertainment industry: “You have to come from Detroit or Atlanta to be black. If you have John Denver on your iPod and you come from Central Falls, Rhode Island, then: Eh, you trickle-down black woman.”

Kerry Washington on why it’s different to work for a female showrunner: “I was talking to an actress who’s pregnant and really worried about telling her bosses, and I said, ‘Yeah, when I told my boss I was pregnant, she literally jumped up and down in my trailer.’ I don’t know if there’s a male show­runner who would do that.”

Shonda Rhimes on why her parents were Gladiators: “When I encountered something that felt like racism—like my high school guidance counselor ­saying to me, ‘Honey, I don’t think you were made for Ivy League schools’—I called my mom at work and said, “Mom, this lady says I’m not made for Ivy League schools.” And my mother said, “Hold on, I’ll be there in five minutes.” My mom drove up to the school, walked into the guidance counselor’s office, came out, and said, “Everything’s fine now.”

For more about their cover visit Entertainment Weekly.

Photo Credit: EW

1. Mz_ daniels

September 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I love Shonda but she’s a tad cliche. Successful black woman with lots of issues the key xter if her last 2 hits. Take it or leave it. Kerry and viola’s xters in scandal and HTGAWM are no role models. In fact, they are the annoying black women sterotype. Would Luv to see a successful well adjusted female in her next production

2. bruno

September 3, 2015 at 4:11 pm

if viola davis was not on how to get away with murder, I swear I wouldn’t watch that show.
    lets be truthful the writing and plot is very poor.

viola carries the entire show on her shoulders. I almost gave up on the show in the middle of season 1. I hope they improve the writing and story in season 2.

• Belios

September 4, 2015 at 9:58 am

Speak for your self Bruno…, Never you say someone’s effort is poor.

3. Ojie

September 3, 2015 at 5:08 pm

My mum is exactly like that!

4. Tosin

September 3, 2015 at 7:54 pm

🙂
    #lol

5. Iris

September 3, 2015 at 8:39 pm

The way Olivia and Mellie are posing in that picture with Fitz makes it look like they’re going to introduce a lesbian story with those two (season finale). I wouldn’t put it past Shonda with the stuff she pulls these days.

6. Uche

September 4, 2015 at 6:40 am

Haha at the mum and guidance counsellor story

7. Lamz

September 4, 2015 at 10:22 am

This deserves more than a 100 likes….!!! Hi 5 to the mothers that are pushing ahead to make sure there kids know their self worth and God giving rights…!!

• O

September 4, 2015 at 3:11 pm

If only more parents did, what a wonderful world it would be.

8. jwezee

September 5, 2015 at 1:51 am

That scandal Olivia, Fitz n Millie’s cover just gives me life…sexy Mr President

9. Mabel

September 5, 2015 at 2:43 am

Shonda has spearheaded getting black characters, particularly women, back on tv. So bloody glad the drought is over. Kerry and Viola have a regular pay check and don’t have to worry about when the next movie script will come by, the residual money is there to get later down the road. Freaking women helping women at its best. Thank you Shonda for making tv worth it once again!