Sweet Spot

How a Young Nigerian Lady’s Act of Kindness Changed an Alcoholic’s Life

BellaNaija.com

Olorunfunmi Kindness

Bad news travels fast but it is so great to share good news.

A young Nigerian woman’s unplanned act of kindness has gone viral. This week, Olorunfunmi A shared the story and photos of how she helped change an alcoholic’s life on her Facebook page;

***

So on one of those days I hung my head and claimed life had ended for me, I walked past Gbolahan. He lives right across my house and was in class with one of my elder ones. I heard he was very brilliant but I’ve known him to be a chronic drunk for at least 15 years…His case was worse than a mad man. He’d drink ‘ogogoro’ all day, get beaten up and slapped by passersby, get hit by vehicles and then walk/shout all over the street all night. He barely slept and on the days he did, he would sleep in any ‘maruwa’ he finds parked behind my house. He practically had no life outside his bottle of gin.

God laid it on my heart to talk to him and I was surprised that he listened. I’ve paid a nearby ‘buka’ to have him fed twice a day, bought him a sponge, soap and toothbrush. Went to check on him every morning and evening, drove him to church in my car, gave him some place to sleep and found him something to do. I dont want him to be dependent on me so i handed him over to someone else to teach him personal hygiene and a bit of social skills.
To the glory of God, Gbolahan has been clean in the past three weeks. Now he converses coherently and does not stagger anymore, his eyeballs are clear…The whole of ire-akari road is amazed.
He still needs bedding, clothes, money for feeding etc.
I’m grateful to God for the privilege to serve humanity but I’LL BE NEEDING PROFESSIONAL REHABILITATION for my elder brother Gbolahan, I WOULD BE GLAD IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT. That would be the best birthday gift ever.
Any recommendations please?
It’s my birthday and God is teaching me to love without expecting anything in return.

So heartwarming! Get in touch with her via her Facebook page if you will like to help.

1. VICKY

October 24, 2015 at 11:38 am

This is so touching………… i just want God to use me to touch someone’s life

• Tosin

October 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm

God hears.

• pompey

October 25, 2015 at 3:39 am

That’s y u sld contact Gbolahan

2. Kezhia

October 24, 2015 at 12:09 pm

You are a star, may God continue to bless you to bless others. I wish Gbolahan more progress and pray that God continue to manifest glory and peace in his life 🙂

3. miss Pynk

October 24, 2015 at 12:09 pm

The less we think of ourselves, the mor fulfilment we get in life. We are often too busy thinking of what we don’t have without considering what we do have and how we can be of help to others who can do nothing for us in return.

God bless her…

pynk360.com

4. Emi

October 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm

This is what being a Christian means. We should all learn something here.
    Be the change you want to see.

5. sultana

October 24, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Well done babes! You are the real MVP

6. 'Diddie

October 24, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Well done……very touching and keep up the good work! The lord is your strength….

7. Ola

October 24, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Light minded pple in Nigerian will not see this as an inspirations … Still buy a house in Apple island

• anon

October 26, 2015 at 8:12 am

hope you know linda helps people alot? if she can affoord a house let her buy it jare, she deserves it.

8. jane

October 24, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Awesome. God bless her, she’s depositing some real gold for her mansion in heaven.

9. Prince

October 24, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Well done sis. God rewards you immensely

10. Student

October 24, 2015 at 1:05 pm

How can I be of help? Will love to support in my little way. God bless you.

11. Tari

October 24, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Unfortunately, some of us do not do Facebook. Can we have other contact details on how we can partner with her on this gift of love?

• ATL's finest

October 24, 2015 at 5:56 pm

@ Tari u are right! How else can we help apart from d fbk details @ BN! God bless this lady & I’m glad to see progress. Everyone deserve a great life & been a humanitarian makes me happy.

12. Gypsy Island..

October 24, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Not one of you top praises said i could help…..give up your megabyte money for this brother my dear brethren and share the burden of a sister….smiles…

13. teegal

October 24, 2015 at 2:56 pm

May God reward ur good intentions and grant u all ur heart desires IJN!

14. PACE

October 24, 2015 at 3:05 pm

God bless you darling. We need more people with hearts of gold like you to make Nigeria a better place. How can I make a donation towards this course?

15. Spanish Guitar

October 24, 2015 at 3:08 pm

God bless you dear girl, may your labour of love never go unrewarded.I don’t want to rain on your parade or put a dampener on good things but just a word of caution…please never stay alone with brother Gbolahan, history has it that it’s the ones we were kind to that end up hurting us the most. A word is enough for the wise.

16. brown-ice

October 24, 2015 at 4:15 pm

This is what Alms Giving means, doing something for somebody that can NEVER repay you. God bless you sister! You have a kind heart!!

17. chukwukadibia

October 24, 2015 at 5:38 pm

I want God to lead me to do something as heart warming as this.God bless this lady

18. Tosin

October 24, 2015 at 5:38 pm

wow.

19. ifedayo

October 24, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Her name is olorunfunmi adebajo. She is beautiful both inside and outside

20. Lady

October 24, 2015 at 9:14 pm

@Bellanaija, can you please assist the lady by contacting freedom foundation, its owned by pastor Tony Rapu. They deal with cases like this.

21. lyl

October 24, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Such is the real CHANGE we need. Each one help one no matter how little,it does go a long way.God bless u babe!As u ve watered,u shall be watered all the days of ur life….Amen!

22. haircare

October 25, 2015 at 10:39 am

Please does anyone know what her hairstyle is called?
    What kind of thread/extensions do they use to make it?

• Ada

October 25, 2015 at 11:22 am

Let’s ignore the purpose of this article,pointless right? You could get in touch with her via FB and ask her.Commend her on her edges too.

23. chibuzor

October 26, 2015 at 7:58 am

Welldone funmi. Please I would also like to advise that you take him to the neuropsychiatric hospital at yaba. He would under go further rehabilitation concerning his alcohol addiction. So he does not begin to drink again. An also he would have his liver assessed. Chronic alcohol consumption does damage the liver, he would also have his heart and kidneys assessed.

24. omo naija