Style

Jennifer Obiuwevbi: 8 REAL GIRL Beauty Truths We All Know Too Well!

BellaNaija Beauty - BellaNaija - October 2015_001We would all like to live in a perfect world. A world where shirts never get stained with red lipstick, roots never got frizzy and makeup could be flawless all day along.

But alas, the world we live in is one filled with carrying extra blotting paper for those sweaty days, struggling to type with your stiletto nails and waking up to 2 pimples on your forehead.

In today’s world, social media platforms like Pinterest and Instagram will have you believing makeup can be perfect and flawless. What they don’t show you is the no less than 5 filters and photo editing apps these images have been put through, to make them look like they’re straight from the pages of Vogue. That’s why I love following real girl pages like Patricia Bright, Jackie Aina and Omabelle who show you the reality and struggle of having perfect skin and makeup. They let me, and I’m sure a lot of other women out there, know that there is no quick fix to beauty. There are those days when you look a hot mess. We realize that other women get zits, stretch marks, discolorations too!

To let you know that the problems you face on a daily basis are more then common, I am taking a cue from these women and sharing some beauty truths. The struggle for perfect beauty is REAL, and we’re all in this together.

Here are 8 REAL GIRL beauty experiences that I have had, and am sure you have too.

***

1. The best part about new hair is the week after
Getting a new hairstyle done is like being reborn. You have this sense of newness that can be likened to having a new lease on life. But the truth is, that new feeling can be irritating.

I don’t know about you, but I usually can’t wait for that new feeling to go away soon after I leave the salon. Although it feels and looks nice, hair just looks better after some days of brushing, packing and general use. I think that’s the time you really start settling into the look and getting the hang of it.

It’s like a new house. You won’t really begin enjoying it until you’ve put in some furniture, had friends over and made some memories there over time.

2. We’ve all had the hair stylist with no sense of hygiene
If you have had this experience, then you know the gravity of what I’m talking about. For some reason, local salons always have that one attendant that feels, along with Miley Cyrus, that armpit hair was made to run wild and free. And unfortunately, feels that deodorant is not a personal requirement.

My last experience with this particular issue was definitely my last. It got so bad, I had to leave in the middle of my hair wash and alerted the salon owner. I felt bad afterwards and couldn’t even look the attendant in the eye when I went for a manicure. Maybe I’ll buy her a gift…like a shower kit or something.

3. Pimples love ruining special days
This happens to me every time. Whenever I have a big day coming, I always get a pimple right on my forehead or nose on that day. It could be due to stress, over pampering the skin in preparation, or maybe my skin just thinks a pimple is the perfect finish to my makeup; but no matter the strategy I use, the pimple always shows up! *Sigh*

4. We’ve all had crooked eyebrows
I remember the first time I tried perfecting the arch of my eyebrows with concealer. It turned out to be disastrous. At the time, I thought I could win the Annual Fleekest Eyebrow In the World games, but recently when I looked at an image from like 4 years ago, I realized I was just learning. And I’m sure you’ve had this experience too. I had this big white line around by brows, and they were sooo crooked. Thank God for Youtube makeup tutorials.

5. Guys must hate our hugs by now – we always stain their shirts!
I can’t count how many male friends’ shirts I have rendered useless with my face of makeup. You know that moment you run into an old friend and give them a big hug, but then you quickly realize in a split second that there is no way the makeup you blended to your neck hasn’t decorated his shirt. And you’re hardly ever wrong.

I think guys can either master the art of air hugging, or place a handkerchief on their shoulders before we hug them. Because I don’t think makeup is going anywhere.

6. All girls are starting to look alike on Instagram
I don’t know what it is but almost every girl has the same look on Instagram. It’s a bit creepy. Winged eyeliner, chiseled cheekbones, matte lips, long false lashes, perfectly sculpted eyebrows and that one look…

Although I do appreciate the art of makeup, and the fact that it has a process and necessary stages, I think we can all make it our own. You don’t all have to look alike, there is beauty in diversity you know.

7. Catcalls come even when you don’t have makeup on
There are many reasons why we wear makeup, and looking good for the opposite sex is one of them (no matter how much you try to deny it). So it’s a bit unsettling when you only get catcalled on those days when you don’t give a damn about your looks. Hair is a mess, face is oily, and there is this guy saying “hi, how are you doing?” You almost always feel like he’s joking with you, and keep walking away.

8. When you wore false lashes for the 1st time, they felt like hand fans
Unfortunately for me I was one of those who started wearing individual lashes with bonding glue. Needless to say it was a horrible experience. While the salon attendant was applying the lashes, some strands entered my eye, she glued my eyelids together and, 2 days after, my eyes were as red as Louboutin soles.

I also didn’t know you could take them out with oil, so I plucked mine out, together with my actual lashes. The pain was REAL. Not to mention how heavy they were. It almost felt like I had not slept in days and I wanted to keep my eyes closed all the time. But thankfully that taught me to never do anything without researching on it first.

***

I know you must have had these and similar experiences on your journey to discovering beauty – why don’t you share them so I feel less like a disaster. 🙂

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Hongqi Zhang

1. Odididi

October 23, 2015 at 2:28 pm

No7! Ehh ontop the bushes eyebrows oo. I conciously catch myself not trying to make eye contacts with the dude. But then again who cares what he thinks.
    I also try not to guge a full hug to guys. I prefer nearly-full side hugs. Dunno,kinda works for me. Lastly, The whole not loving the first look usually only happens whenever i braid. I find myself literally looking for everyone around that would tell me” dont worry within a week the beauty of the hair will show.. And im like errrrhhhh.

2. chu-chu

October 23, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Preach on sister! talk about every girl on instagram looking the same! every girl has a big booty, big boobs and a tiny waist to go along with the perfectly made up face. Biko tell us the secret o, my butt is still as flat as ever and my waist as broad as a board. Is it just me, or do we see these girls in real life? its like they only exist on social media. I apologise before hand b4 somebody tags me a hater! not my intention, just intrigued.

• Jen

October 23, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Not a hater, you just said the truth.

• niyoola

October 23, 2015 at 6:26 pm

You are not doing anything wrong. That waist has been ‘packaged’.
      Many ladies now use waist trainers, bodymagic/spanx and good old Lipo/tummy tuck.
      There are also butt pads, thigh trimmers etc.
      As per make-up: What makes everyone look alike is the contouring of the nose and cheeks.

3. whocares

October 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm

lmaooo. Number 2. We yorubas call it “ki ori bo abe”(put the head.. no no, I cant even translate it well enough to capture the horror),When I was in primary school and I was obligated to go to that woman by our house to get my hair plaited. hmm. I might never forgive my mom for subjecting me to that and till today I hate hairstyles with front erm is it base? . Every time she turned me to her front and I had to rest my head face down on her lap as she plaited the “base”. I wept. On the inside. 7. I don’t even understand either. lol. 5, I always, ALWAYS deny.

• jay

October 23, 2015 at 2:52 pm

lmao!!!!!!

• Magz

October 23, 2015 at 3:07 pm

LMAO!!!!!!!! Ki ori bo abe…….i feel you my sister. I still shudder whenever i think about those experiences.
      I feel like you and i would make good friends 😀

• T

October 23, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Lmao. The woman that makes mine will chew one peice of Kpomo from when she starts plaiting my hair to when she finishes. Kai.

4. Cindy

October 23, 2015 at 2:38 pm

“and looking good for the opposite sex is one of them (no matter how much you try to deny it).”

I don’t know why you thought you needed to stress that part though. Is it I crime to do your own thing without caring? Maybe you do your make with that in mind and for some other people, it is one of their lesst reasons.
    Anyway, nice article in general. I agree with most of your points. Been there. Like my brother says, don’t feel emabarrased while trying your hand at something new. Everybody has had a first time.

5. Nma

October 23, 2015 at 2:42 pm

chu-chu, you tell no lies. Fakery abound in the world these days. Would it kill us to add a touch of individuality and naturalness to our being now and again?As the writer has rightly pointed out, there is indeed beauty in diversity.

6. toyin

October 23, 2015 at 2:44 pm

this is funny

7. olanma

October 23, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Ahh!! @whocares, you have taken me back to secondary school years, when plaiting my hair was a necessity in life. When it came to weaving the front of my hair, the woman would place my sweet head between her thighs, and she would have taken me to hell and back.. Talk about odours!! and this mind is me being polite.

8. jay

October 23, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I can relate with no 2….from having my head being forced and pinned down between the laps of one hajia dat used to plait me as a child to having girls in salons stuff their boobs in my face while washing my hair and oh lemme not start with the armpit hair and smell….and number 8 i still have a bald eye(lool if their is anything like that) after 4 years as a result of the lashes i pulled. God help us inshort i yam tired of being a fine girl ***in helen pauls voice

9. Winnie

October 23, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Lol @ No. 8. Kai, I remember my first and last false eyelash experience. Mba

10. serene

October 23, 2015 at 3:23 pm

All true, especially the one about pimple on the face on days you should be looking fly

11. ATL's finest

October 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm

#5 & 6 lol.. IG business ain’t no JOKE & oh bless all my male brohs & friends sometimes I feel bad for them and at a point, I mind how I hug them to save their polo’s etc

12. Teekay

October 23, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Asin you said it all baby girl!!!!!!?

13. melinda

October 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

All the points are so true and making me lmao here…..