News

Pro Biafra Activists Tear their Nigerian Passports

PUNCH

Ever since the arrest of Radio Biafra director, Nnamdi Kanu, pro-Biafra sentiments appear to be on the rise.

Just last week, it was reported that numerous people in Anambra and Port Harcourt took to the streets to protest Kanu’s arrest. Some were subsequently arrested and charged with treason.

And now, according to Sahara Reporters, some Biafra secessionists took to YouTube to post videos of themselves tearing their Nigerian passports.

Due to the incendiary nature of some of the dialogue in the videos, BellaNaija will not be posting them.

However, here are a few excerpts from one of the individuals, Emenike Michael Nwofor:

“I am living here in Bordeaux (France); I am an asylum seeker in Bordeaux. I have been around Bordeaux for a year plus and we have been able to gather the Biafran family here in France; we have been able to register with the government of France as indigenous people of Biafra.”

Videos of two other individuals tearing their passports and speaking against the Nigerian government have also emerged.

Reacting to the videos, Public Relations Officer of the NIS, Deputy Comptroller, Ekpedeme King said:

“There is a new Act called the Immigration Act 2015 which stipulates the punishment for any alteration or destruction of Nigerian passport; it is a jail term with conditions. Those who mentioned their names, if we find out that they tore their passports, will be taken to court. A process has to be followed.”

Photo Credit: Punch

1. nmadeevah

October 26, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Oooo Chim o, I am igbo but this particular act is Damn too stupid. Am sorry but that’s how I feel.

• Anon

October 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Thank you. Touche. Good riddance.

• Damilola

October 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Igbo people, actually pro biafrans fight a battle you know, you have a small chance of winning. And one that makes sense, led by people with functioning brains. Also, fight from the ground, face to face not hiding under a stupid radio station while living in another country. Bunch of cowards. This is a lost battle that should have been buried with the main leader, Mr Ojukwu when he died. Even him, knew he was fighting a lost battle and quietly lived in the same Nigeria till his death. And these current pro biafrans are useless, jobless, ignorant people who are using Biafra to cover up for their bad behavior. They should all be locked up bcos they are troublemakers. Buhari, has an important bigger issue to tackle. Boko haram. It needs to be obliterated ASAP. This is 2015, Nigeria is in a total different place from the time Biafra war took place. The discrimination or prejudice Igbos complain about now has no substantial evidence/reasoning. It’s just pettiness, that deserves ignoring. Even if you want to seek your own Biafra state, there has to be protocol to follow. Igbos are already divided, so now it will be Biafrans vs non biafrans. Igbos fighting among themselves. Biafra will be inevitable defeated again.

• Mohammad

October 26, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Erm… Sorry to burst your bubble Emenike Michael Nwofor but your history is incorrect. Anambra state existed before Enugu state.

The old Eastern region was split into three states in 1967: East-Central State, Rivers State (now Rivers and Bayelsa) and South-Eastern state (now Cross River and Akwa Ibom).
      Then in 1976, the old East-Central state was split into Anambra and Imo. Enugu state was created from the old Anambra state in 1991. If you refuse the Anambra state name, you must similarly refuse the Enugu state name, otherwise you are just being inconsistent, petulant and showing a lack of knowledge about your own history.

• Ada Nnewi

October 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Nne’m, stupid is an understatement…

• Iris

October 26, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Why are you sorry? Abegi. I’m Igbo and ain’t nobody got time for this.

2. mrs chidukane

October 26, 2015 at 12:44 pm

What is he doing in France? He should come and lead the people here.

• le coco

October 27, 2015 at 10:52 am

help me ask them o. bunch of cowards hiding in another country.. even the mastermind behind this nonsense wasnt even in the country. mtchew may God punish them all

3. Iris

October 26, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I was going to say ‘that wasn’t very bright’, assuming that they lived IN Nigeria but I realised that at least one of these geezers is in France seeking asylum. LOL. Instead of him to say he tore his passport so he cannot be deported, he wants to use Biafra wahala as an excuse. Someone has just helped widows in his Igboland hometown as a citizen of Nigeria and this one is here running his mouth. Even as an Igbo man he’s already divisive. Give him Biafra now and he’ll want to distinguish Nnewi from everywhere else. We don’t have time for this please. There are bigger issues at hand.

• Que

October 26, 2015 at 1:59 pm

My exact thought, was he tore his passport to avoid deportation by claiming a non-exixting entity as his government, cos Biafa no get passport na….

This group needs to be looked into and preventive measures put in place before we watch the brewing of another bokoharam…. e no dey hard people to claim right to vex again these days…

4. whocares

October 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Why dont you go back to Nigeria and be a rebel from there? Anuofia (?) You are sitting cosy in France saying when there was a Biafra land. Ogbeni, there was no Biafra land. You want someone to be angry at? Blame Lady Lugard. She named the damned country and her husband is responsible for the amalgamation. I am tired of these internet warriors. Now that you have torn your passport, how will you return to Nigeria as you are still an asylum seeker? Go back home now and make Biafra land happen instead of seeking asylum in France. The sun is too hot? you dont hve enough money? your enemies want to kill you? Ngbeke oshi. Although the Immigration Act 2015 jail term is beyond stupid. Last I checked my passport whilst being issued by the government is my property. I can deface it however I want in the privacy of my own house so long as I don’t attempt to use it. in government sanctioned places Abi. How does the government defend this one again that unnecessarily restrains freedom? Its against our culture to tear passport? or the passport will not be fine? I tire.

• UGO

October 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Passport isn’t your property. No countries passport belongs to the individual holding it. You should read the passport first page of every passport. It still belongs to the government of issuance.

• ATL's finest

October 26, 2015 at 2:18 pm

@ Ugo lol ok!!! Folks sign before they read.. Well he can’t be in France & fighting it.. They should be in Nigeria. Well they are ibo & proud of it ( y’all slap me I said it lol).. Too much ishy with all these ethnic groups.. Minority feels about just right for me..

• whocares

October 26, 2015 at 2:36 pm

To the extent that it is in my possession.. it is mine. Which is why I said I should be able to deface it at home in the privacy of my own house so long as I don’t carry said passport out to government sanctioned places. It is the same way we say the land belongs to the queen etc but its your house, and once you buy it, it is in your possession and so it is yours. Its a balancing exercise. It is interesting. To what extent do my rights to do as I wish with my properties in this sense supersedes the government’s especially in normal cases where there is no terrorism or “treason”? what if my child took my passport and went at it with a black pen.. what then. Will I be jailed? I always have questions and I am always suspicious of laws that criminalise actions willy nilly

5. Truth

October 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm

If Biafra truly want to go. Let them go.
    Nigeria is a colonial creation and people should have the right to self determination.
    We don’t want another wahala.

• Krasavitsa

October 26, 2015 at 3:12 pm

My dear I tire o! If they want to go, let them! I don’t see the need of continuing the farce that is “One Nigeria”. We all know we aren’t united, so why pretend? But ofcourse greed will not allow the Nigerian government encourage this division as once the Biafrans leave, so does the oil. PS; I’m Yoruba and I believe we are too diverse a nation to be claiming #unitedwestand.

• Leila

October 26, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Have they asked the ibibios, the efik, the kalabari, the edos, the urhobos, the itshekiri, the ijaws what they want? Did they tell you they want to join with the igbos to be part of biafra? It is very annoying the way igbos assume that these other tribes definitely want to be part of biafra as well. So no, all the oil might not go. Plus there are yoruba states that produce oil eg ondo state.
      All these ignorant people, i tire! And i am igbo!

6. frank teacher

October 26, 2015 at 1:06 pm

my first thought was, NOooooooo, those leaves cost money especially if you had to do “express” with your middle-class pay.
    then I saw FRANCE…

7. beauty

October 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm

SMH…

8. AMAKA

October 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Loolzz.. I hope they have a “Biafra Land” passport to identify their nationality when called upon to do so. Notice that it is only those idiots that have managed to make it to the abroad that are busy trying to incite the ones at home. Why are they not in Nigeria with their family to start the war abi is it agitation for Biafra? Arrant nonsense.

9. chi-e-z

October 26, 2015 at 1:22 pm

but the way he was targeted was unfair cause I’m sure there’s just as equally sentimental people in the north who actually probably have more influence aggregating hatred towards Igbos that the government is not unfairly making statement imprisonment with. When Fashola went to the market and randomly “deported”-[really just eastern profiled individuals and packed them in a bus] Igbos to just anywhere in Anambra -[like all Igbo maketers that hustle in Lagos must be from there] he didn’t do that with other groups of people that come to Lagos to sell/hustle like other Yorubas from outside Ogun or Northern sellers. Now, this past lagos governor elections Jimi [a Yoruba man for goodness sakes] who was the better candidate par gubernatorial debates was apparently marred as the candidate that fights on the igbos behalf. APC seems to like to aggravate issues by unfairly propagating tribalism and demonizing igbos so why won’t people get more aggravated. Even me that I do not support a divided Nigeria totally understand the concern and annoyance of this group. This kind of unfair profiling and endangering of people based on the states their families are from [like if we can choose our parents/land or something…] is exactly what even propagated the first civil war. If they keep being so forceful and unfair I’m sure within 2-3 generations[when those who remember the horrid blood shed have past] we’ll see the same situation uproot. I’m not even being partial if I saw northerners being unfairly imprisoned,profiled,and killed or yorubas enduring same or Fulanis enduring that I’d come to the same conclusion of a revolt but somehow when people state the same for Igbos they are considered un-patriotic for calling a spade a spade. Let millions of yorubas be killed w/o mercy/consideration in the north by their neighbors and let’s see if there would even have been a Nigeria left. yet, igbos who lived through this are supposed to become naturally desensitized to their realities as kids and parents and newly weds and new mothers…come on it’s an unfair bargage to give them. I’m so lucky I’m not from that era of hurt but I see it in my fams eyes every morning and it’s unfair 2 tell them 2 just sweep everything under the rug. I don’t support cause of a new Igbo state of Biafra but completely understand that aggravating it is really foolish move of the government

10. nnenne

October 26, 2015 at 1:40 pm

One Nigeria.
    Treat everyone alike. .. one JAMB standard for all. I mean my fore fathers did not enslave or dispossess anyone. I have no unjust advantage. Why do I have to work harder and the job goes to a less motivated, less intelligent Nigerian.
    Include everyone. FAIR and JUST treatment of ALL Nigerians.
    May freedom of speech remain our modus Oparendi.
    Locking people up will not solve the problem, it would rather escalate it.

11. nene+

October 26, 2015 at 1:41 pm

This is a very sensitive matter. @ Buhari a good leader mend bridges not break them!

Alot of things gave credence to Igbo people alienation in Nigeria under APC. I say categorically that PDP managed this better by engaging the whole country and involving every one.

Only eye-service experts and chronic hypocrites say SE has been treated fairly not just SE but some others who are either oblivious or are scared to talk. This is irrespective of political association. We are Nigerian not APC and PDP. What holds us together is Nigeria not her political parties. My right has nothing to do with my political orientation.

I am never for Biafra and do not feel its necessary but the confab recommendation has to be administered for Nigeria to to belong to all.

Buhari needs to act urgently………most tribe,dialect and people want to secede even Yorubas for lack of equity. Consider the nullification in SS elections and judgment given to West and North in APC states.. Buhari must tread carefully. Impression has been created already

Buhari act fast and unite Nigeria is at her precipice!!!!

• Tae

October 26, 2015 at 1:51 pm

@ nene, radio Biafra had been operating since the time of GEj . They called him names and called Nigeria a zoo so clearly it has nothing to do with Buhari or APC . Buhari is just trying to nip it in the bud before we get another Boko haram. For those talking about freedom of speech go to their Facebook page or listen in and see the things they write about killing Fulanis and Yorubas. That is what their leader has incited, freedom of speech does not mean there are no consequences for inciting violence. For me if they want to go no problem but no need to be insulting other tribes and talking about killing people. Let them go to the UN like civilized human beings and seek for a referendum . We will rather Nigeria is left for those we really want to be a part of it, let them just do it without offending others.. They are a bunch of disgruntled people with victim mentality who will always cry wolf anytime things don’t go their way in Nigeria. Let them go

• nene+

October 26, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Inception of radio Biafra is not the point. You miss it! Be true to your selves that this was thoroughly down played by PDP Yaradua . OBJ and GEJ and even DOGARA and Saraki of APC.

That radio is at it loudest and just need to be trimmed.

Biafra or its radio may never go away but its listeners can switch to Radio Nigeria!

• Tae happy crumb eater

October 26, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Crumb eating happy Tae.
      APC rag head!!

12. Joyclass

October 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm

U are there wanting Biafra land in another country and it’s this so called Nigerian passport u used to seek whatever it is u are seeking in France ,bunch of fools.

• or

October 26, 2015 at 2:29 pm

@ Tae why am I not surprised at you!?
      You are from same weak loins.

• The real D

October 26, 2015 at 3:01 pm

@ Or….I gather you don’t agree with Tae’s comments. Why don’t you put down your thoughts as to why you don’t agree like a true educated individual???. Tae made some valid points, if you feel you have something to add that may add some light to this topic in support of the Biafran body like nene then do so but a statement like yours is what results in many of tribal issues we have. If you don’t agree with a person’s point of view, then state your reasoning, instead of slinging insults that are unwarranted.

13. Olawale

October 26, 2015 at 2:03 pm

This is a very sensitive issue, we are supposed to unit as one nation with diverse culture and languages just like its in every other countries around the world. But this idea of emancipation of the Igbos is for me hard to comprehend. However, i would like the present Government of PMB to act fast on these issues so that it would not be an added national security issue for the Government to battle……….That means the earlier they(PMB) step in and iron issues with these boys the better for the country.

14. Tosin

October 26, 2015 at 2:06 pm

i haven’t been paying attention, but this is serious. this is a good time to try and do better than almost any separatist movement in the past, steer clear of violence, and steer towards freedom of expression. nobody needs/wants another Boko Haram, and to be honest, in the 21st century, nobody cares what your country is called. hunger is hunger, and Africa needs us all, the world needs Igbo people, whether in this country or that.

What I’m getting at is (well, I don’t expect leadership from Buhari on this one, but maybe an Aunt Oby, or a Chude, or an Ogbonnaya Onu, or someone like that can make it his/her primary assignment to) help Naija and the pro-Biafra really really really communicate, with the help of historians, psychologists, bribery, and a lot of love and healing on both sides.

Na beg I dey take beg una, no need for fight. Boko Haram is full of ignorant idiots killing and dying for half-the-truth. You also don’t know the whole truth, even if you know some, so ALWAYS EXERCISE CHILL. Yeah, chill is not what Igbo people are known for (stereotypically-speaking) but try, exercise chill.

Dats all.

of all causes to want to wahala somebody for again, na wa.

• An Igbo Chick

October 26, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Gbam!!! If this isn’t nipped now with the help of prominent igbo leaders it may become another boko haram….

Honestly, many of the people inciting these ignorant peeps haven’t witnessed a war and it’s far reaching effects…we forget too quickly

Plus many of these people forming activists won’t even die in the war..Remember Ojukwu (after inciting a war to massage his ego) he still lived to a ripe old age…
      My people receive brain and leave these politicians

15. lol

October 26, 2015 at 2:55 pm

CAN YOU SIT DOWN!!

We haven’t eradicated poverty yet this one is talking about.. one step at a time okay wait for your turn.

16. sippingtea

October 26, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Why are people so afraid of Biafra? We all see the strong hatred towards Igbo people and the way they are marginalised every day. If you don’t want to treat igbo and other ethnic groups equally, then let them go. Nigeria as a nation never addressed the resentment from the civil war. Igbo people were killed in millions and their properties were ceased, they have rebuilt themselves without help from anyone but the resentment remains. Everyone just expected them to get over it (which they did), the problem is that they are still mistreated and maligned today so they have real grievances. President Jonathan was the first president to include igbo people to a larger extent than usual and that was why he was supported.

The people in the middle belt are also extremely marginalised, the people in the Niger- Delta too and many smaller ethnic groups in Nigeria are marginalised. Have you noticed that it is only people from the Niger Delta that are accused of corruption and jailed for it? No one else is corrupt in Nigeria. Have any of you ever traveled to the creeks in the Niger-Delta, the villages that have been damaged by the oil that everyone keeps shouting about has done to the environment, the livelihood of communities, as well as children who grow up inhaling gas flares? Can you blame people for feeling like they are not part of Nigeria? Until all this resentment is resolved and true nationalism planted in our hearts, Nigeria will never be one. If President Buhari really cares about Nigeria, he will promote one Nigeria by trying to bring everyone together, rather than his sectarian and condescending attitude towards the rest of the country. We need a President and leaders that really believe in one Nigeria; a Nigeria that belongs to everybody, where justice is implemented for all and on all. No ethnic group is higher or better than others, there is beauty, strength, resourcefulness and leadership in every group. Until this happens, please allow them to tear their passport and seek asylum in France; to you they maybe stupid but they are just fighting for a place in this world. Don’t write them off and push they to further extremism!

Abeg, make I end epistle for here…lol

• sippingtea

October 26, 2015 at 4:02 pm

oops seized! That is what happens when you write an epistle… typos :-p

• nikky

October 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm

hey shutup already. no one cares. People be acting like people wake up everyday hating other tribes. I wonder how so much hatred can exist in your heart, Pple are afraid of igbos kwa? smh. Men, some of you are so backward and yet u accuse the whites of colonialism and makng blacks slaves when you also suffer from the safe myopic view that is racism (maybe another form of it)

Mehn, this black on black hate is pathetic…yall are black!!! who cares if u are igbo or yoruba or hausa? When u get to heaven, wll u be carrying badge stating you are igbo?

Inshort im tired. Yall should just give your lives to Jesus and stop all this unnecessary hell raising.

• guest

October 26, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Nikky, read before you rant and insult. It seems you did not read the entire comment. Please read again, especially the last couple of sentences. No one cares eh? Will you care when IPOB start becoming violent? This is the time to calm frayed nerves and not to tell people to shut up. That habit of shutting up the voices you don’t like to hear is the reason why Nigeria is not unified.

• BlueEyed

October 26, 2015 at 7:27 pm

@sippingtea U couldn’t have said it better!!! APC and Buhari supporters forget to include one Nigeria as a major point in Buhari’s regime, that’s if he himself and his APC juggernauts are not all secret nepotists!

• me

October 26, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Igbo people with their sense of entitlement, during the war is it only igbos that died? Who incited the war? Igbos! Why won’t ur properties be destroyed when you went looking for trouble? I am from Akwa Ibom and I want to categorically state on the behalf of all Akwa Ibomites that we in no way believe in the stupidity you term biafra neither does any other southern state. You easterners keep playing the victim and create problems for the rest of us. You don’t even love yourselves, an Enugu man can’t stand an anambra man and vice versa and u want a whole country to ur self. I laugh, when the black Americans were facing severe racism why didn’t they decide to form their own country? There is a huge difference between fighting for ur right and clear cut stupidity. Your governors don’t even love you enough to develop ur states and u want a full country? I laugh in spanish!!! Doesn’t charity begin at home? Alameyeseigha stole like a vagabond and disgraced his generation by dressing up like a woman to run back to Nigeria and he shouldn’t be prosecuted because he is Niger delta? You all are the reason this country is backwards…that is why ur tribe will never smell being the president of this country because of the shallow way some of you think. Rubbish! ( this message is not to disrespect all igbos, just for the biafra freedom fighters)

• Ebere

October 27, 2015 at 2:11 am

You speak Jagons!!!!!!!Change you stupid perception about Igbo people. Since the inception of Boko Haram atrocities, do we say all hausas are Boko Haram members? NO!!!!!!..If these fools are craving attention all in the name of Biafra being a country, does that mean that the whole Igbo people are in support of this or the whole Igbo people tore their passports?NO!!!!!!!!!!..Therefore Mister/Miss, rephrase your tribalistic shenanigan……………

17. feyi

October 26, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Isn’t this the dumbest thing?! what exactly is their problem? Attention? i don’t get why they are always angry about something.

• whatwillbewillbe

October 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Really Feyi? Really? I pray for you oh. I pray that you never have cause to ‘get why they are always angry about something’.
      Something should be done NOW. Please our Igbo leaders, this is the time to act. Listen to your people, hear their cries, their fears, their hopes and aspirations. Calm their nerves and stand for them in places where they can’t be. Take their issues to the top, let them know that they are heard and understood. Please don’t just stand back and think you are safe, you’re never really safe. If not you, someone close to you may be caught in the cross fires.
      Igbo leaders, the time to act is NOW. Let prosperity judge you fairly.
      For the records, I’m completely against Biafra, but I know we can’t continue like this for much longer. Something definitely has to give and I pray fervently that it’s bloodless. God help Nigeria.

18. Sunshine

October 26, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Am I the only one that has noticed the following trend in Nigerian politics though: when a democratic government comes into power and is predominantly led by a individuals from one part of the country, some ‘freedom fighters’ suddenly appear and start agitating on behalf of their ‘people’ from another part, from Obasanjo versus insurgents in the middle-belt/Northern Nigeria during the Jos/Kano/Kaduna riots; to Yaradua v. Niger-Delta/MASSOB; to Johnathan v. Boko Haram, now its Buhari v. whatever these loony bins decide to name themselves.

All I will say about this is that when elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers, those of us that have chosen to proudly identify as Nigerians regardless of tribe/religion are the grass in this case. I’m not saying there are no challenges, i’m saying no one loses more than ourselves and our children if we keep allowing this backwardness disguised as freedom fighting to continue. These so-called freedom fighters instigate the man on the street to shed their own blood and that of others, yet have their own selfish interests to protect (notice how they are sitting cosy in Europe sending videos from the comfort of their homes). Stay woke my people!

19. Prince

October 26, 2015 at 5:18 pm

The should go and ask their fathers to give them the story of how the first war ended. foolish children. all these are stunt to get asylum in France. crazy boys

20. Ro2

October 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Now I know. It’s not the love for the people of the eastern nigeria. But selfish and economic reasons if an asylum seekers decided to tear their passports it’s a grand plan not to be deported if they failed. Registration of Biafra in foreign countries is for immigration and asylum reasons. Period!! Yéyé full una pocket. You guys should remeber the guy that was deported from UK about four five years ago for claiming to be from NortEastern Nigeria to seek asylum.

21. Edu

October 26, 2015 at 9:27 pm

That biafran leader committed treason, hence he had to be arrested. These lazy Igbo guys are giving us a bad name. Igbos are survivors and don’t run away from problems

22. Nigeriawillstandforever

October 26, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I love the shape of the Nigerian map just the way it is. if they want to bounce they are more than welcome but you are not distorting our beautiful Nigerian map. Enemies of progress !!

23. Koffie

October 26, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I’m tempted to say Biafrans should be allowed to go if that’s how peace will reign in Nigeria. Maybe the country will be better without the oil as Nigeria will have no choice but to look inwards for other revenue-generating prospects.
    This guy who was quoted obviously tore his Nigerian passport for selfish reasons but people who can’t see through that will join him in his blind anger. Na from clap, dance dey start.
    I may sound ignorant and I should say that there’s no justification for the past but we can’t undo the past, we can only move forward. That said, compared to minority groups, I honestly can’t see how Igbo people have been marginalized. How they feel ‘unheard’ etc. Because if it’s about government positions, let’s be honest, there wouldn’t be northern people there if tables were turned. I’d rather people are chosen on merit than on coverage of all groups. But that’s just me.
    Someone raised an issue of Fashola packing Eastern traders selectively to Anambra and said he didn’t do the same to Ogun and the North. I can’t speak for the North but yes, around that time, Fashola packed Lagos beggars and dumped them in Ogun. I felt that wasn’t fair as they did not all migrate from Ogun State. And it wasn’t just beggars sef, he packed (pardon me) mad people to Ita Oshin in Ogun State. I guess I’m trying to let you know he wasn’t targeting tribes. Cos definitely not all those mentally challenged people were from Ogun. Maybe cos we have Aro, he felt it was just right.

24. Ebere

October 27, 2015 at 2:03 am

Church Rats that have “no where to travel to”, they can tear it for all we care. Illiteracy is a disease……….#I StandForOneNigeria#

25. Idomagirl

October 27, 2015 at 4:50 am

“My names are Emenike Michael Nwaofor. I’m from Nnewi in Biafra land; when there was Biafra, there wasn’t anything called Anambra State. I would refuse to add that name called Anambra State to it. I am from Nnewi, the former Enugu State.”

This one doesn’t even know his history.

Anyway I have one question, are these Biafrans expecting the people of the NDelta to seccede with them? Are the people of the NDelta going to follow them?

• le coco

October 27, 2015 at 10:54 am

gurl, i am from niger delta, and i am not following anybody… biafra koh, biafra ni

26. Chinedu

October 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It’s amazing the level of email traffic that is generated anytime the issue of Biafra comes up. It simply means that it is sensitive, Nigerians are worried and concerned about any form of distortion to the present state. This also means that some sections of the country are still hurt due to perceived injustice in the past. I was not born during the war , but i have read several books about the war which points towards genocide unleashed on innocent civilians in the name of fighting rebels . Even if you do not agree with this , but you will CERTAINLY AGREE THAT EVERYONE WHO PROVED HE HAD AN ACCOUNT WAS GIVEN THE SUM OF 20 POUNDS to survive with irrespective of what you had in the past . Please make your enquiries on this or ask elderly ones that witnessed the war. We should not pretend about it or simply shout or wave it off. Love is very powerful and it can break any barrier. The Government must begin a serious integration program . Call it reparation, compensation. It has to be a deliberate and SINCERE to win the hurting hearts. If this is done, the issue of Biafra, secession will die a natural death. This is a personal suggestion .

27. Anonymous

October 28, 2015 at 11:23 am

the irony of this is that western world is trying to re colonize Africa and Middle East which is why we are hearing all these talks of segregation. Not to underplay marginalization – I haven’t felt it so I have no right to tell someone they aren’t marginalized – but segregation doesn’t stop it. Case in point – SUDAN – after all the wars and strife, the marginalized left and what happened? It imploded. If Biafra wants to go, it should but let’s not pretend that the original Biafran war was built on anything but the whims and egos of “powerful” men. France was waiting on the other end to receive Biafra with open arms – they are still waiting. Which is why I am not surprised that they allowed the registration of these people. Don’t be surprised if you end up becoming part of the French Association of African colonies (go ask our Francophone brothers just how bad the hold of France is on them and they will tell you).