Style

BN Beauty: 12 Amazing Uses of Coconut Oil You Definitely Want to Know!

Coconut Oil - BellaNaija - November 2015

When it comes to caring for and enhancing beauty, sometimes the best things to use are natural.

From the oils to nutrients that we can get from natural sources, you would be amazed at the many benefits our hair, skin and basically our entire bodies can get from taking the time to nurture and treat our bodies the natural way.

One of these amazing natural treatments we can definitely benefit from is coconut oil.

You don’t have to have natural hair to have a bottle of coconut oil stored in your skincare/cosmetics counter. Pretty much anyone can gain from this wonder oil. Coconut oil is usually called the cure-all oil – which basically means you need to get yours today!

Today, BN Beauty will be sharing 12 amazing benefits of coconut oil that we’re pretty sure you don’t know.

Check them out;

1. Body lotion
Using coconut oil as a body lotion is something I just started doing, and I honestly love it. Not only does the oil absorb into the skin easily, you can be rest assured that your skin will remain glossy and lush through out the entire day. It is even helping out with some scars from my younger and more reckless days.

Just be sure to shower really well at night, so you don’t have residue that could pick up dirt and excess oils from subsequent days.

2. Makeup Remover
Let’s admit it, there are some nights when you get back from a tough day and taking off your makeup seems like climbing Kilimanjaro. I’ve been there too. An easy way out is to use coconut oil.

Simply dab a cotton pad or ball with the oil and wipe your eyes and face with it. The oil will take off all your makeup, no matter how matte it is.

Now, some of you may not like having that oily feeling on your face, especially if you’re used to washing it with cleansers and soaps. If you’re in this boat, you can go over your face with some facial wipes or just wash your face with your regular cleaners.

3. Stretch mark cream
If you’re an expectant mum or you have stretch marks on your hips, thighs, butt cheeks stomach or arms, you might want to take note. Coconut oil is also great for reducing the appearance of stretch marks.

While the oil won’t fade the marks completely, it can help reduce the appearance and will soothe stretching skin during pregnancy.

4. Breath Freshener
Coconut oil is packed with antifungal and antibacterial properties. Check out our article on Oil Pulling to find out more. Swishing around oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes can help eliminate germs that lead to bad breath and infections for a fresher and healthier mouth.

5. Body scrub
If you’re all about the D-I-Y, then you’ll love this one.

Mixing coconut oil with brown sugar or coarse salt will create an exfoliator you can use to get rid of dead skin and hyper-pigmentation. The oil will also act as a moisturizer to soothe your skin and heal scarring.

6. Massage oil
Speaking of soothing benefits, did you know coconut oil is the perfect ingredient for a massage. Place some oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat up for some seconds. Take it out, add a dash of peppermint or lavender oil and gently rub into your skin. The effect is very relaxing and is another use for your bottle of coconut oil.

7. Lice solution
This is one I’ve seen in action. To get rid of lice, simply rinse the hair with apply cider vinegar and leave to dry. Follow with pouring coconut oil in the hair and letting sit for 12 to 24 hours. After elapsing the time, brush your hair with a fine comb and follow with a shampoo as usual.

8. Dandruff solution
Getting rid of dandruff with coconut oil is pretty easy. Simply apply coconut oil to the roots of the scalp day and night, and massage in. This is also great because it helps stimulate hair growth.

9. Teeth whitener
Here’s another oral use for your coconut oil. Get a bright smile with a coconut oil and baking soda mixture. Put some baking soda in a bowl and add some coconut oil, then mix. Use your tooth brush to take a pea-sized amount and brush your teeth. Don’t forget to smile – people need to see those pearly whites.

10. Shaving cream
Shaving cream doesn’t always have to lather. Apply some coconut oil to your legs or face, and shave like normal. It would give you a clean and close shave, and take away any dryness you may experience after a regular shave.

11. Itch/bite relief
Got an itch, or do you simple just want to get rid of a bug bite? Apply some coconut oil to the area and massage gently. Leave to soak in and enjoy the rest of your day.

12. Deep conditioner
Coconut oil is great for soothing dry hair. You can do this as a pre-shampoo to soothe hair before you shampoo, or as a leave-in conditioner to keep your tresses nice and moisturized all day long.

***

Trust us, there’s loads more where that’s coming from. Do you swear by coconut or any other natural oil? Share them with us!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Abdullatif Omar

1. Mabel

November 24, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Coconut oil is very good, I use it for my hair. I also use palm kernel oil for my children, their skin is glowing and it is also good for the treatment of cough/phlegm.

2. ATL's finest

November 24, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Yes to a coconut oil.. Two items I MUST have at all times are Apple cider vinegar & Coconut oil. I use them on a daily basis ( just about for everything). I love applying hot coconut oil treatment in my hair, on my face, my skin ( the only Organic product I love applying in my hair).

3. iyke

November 24, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Nice one Jennifer –
    I strongly believe that proper nutrition, NOT medicine is the key to health.
    Anybody who is not yet drinking coconut water, frying/cooking with coconut oil and baking with coconut flour is still living in the 90s.And for those who have mouth odor, try brushing your teeth with baking soda and rinse with coconut oil.
    I don’t joke with Coconut – God indeed blessed Africa with very healthy alternatives.
    BTW, Try Avocado Smoothie (avocado, kale, blueberries, pineapple, baby spinach, cucumber and iced coconut water) – daaammmm, heavenly!

4. whocares

November 24, 2015 at 3:36 pm

No NO NO… Do not try oil pulling. I have read some terrible reviews regarding oil pulling and the consensus seems to be that it is more harmful than good. That said, this list is the worrrrrdd. I mix coconut oil and almond oil as body cream. Been using it for at least four years now and I have no complains. This teeth whitening business I was not aware of… well whocares’ teeth, get ready to fo won loju (make them blind) . lol.

• Leah

November 24, 2015 at 7:50 pm

What is “harming” with putting oils in your mouth and spitting out? And where did you read? You cook with Coconut oil, Olive oil, and Sesame oil, but somehow spitting them out is harmful? Or are you suggesting that the oils are not edible?

• Anon

November 24, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Sorry Leah you got it wrong…. He didn’t say Putin oil in d mouth is harmful but using it to cleanse d makeup is what does more harm than good. Read it again

• Whocares

November 25, 2015 at 8:29 am

This is the part I advocate jumping on Google and doing a bit of research I heard about oil pulling years ago but I discarded it based on what I read. Its not that hard to find either. Google.

• Leah

November 24, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Maybe you should have read your comment again before you came back with a different id to reply. You said ” NO NO NO… Do not try oil pulling…”. Oil pulling is using Coconut, sesame and sunflower oils to clean and detoxify mouth, teeth and gums. You also suggested that you will be trying it at the end of your comment, which makes me believe you really don’t know what ‘oil pulling’ is yet you claim you read “terrible reviews” of it being harmful. Now using coconut oil to remove your make up is harmful? You are really confused.

5. lola

November 24, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Is it good for Oily skin?

• kokodiapurecoconutoil

November 24, 2015 at 4:38 pm

excellent for all skin types and also has no age restrictions.
      Always insist on the pure/virgin without additives.

• Anon

November 24, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Good question. Don’t try it. I broke out badly with cyst like pimples. Let me look for my comment on this portal a while ago about my experience.

• Anon

November 24, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Here you go – http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/05/12/bn-beauty-from-washing-hair-to-a-great-diet-here-are-8-dos-donts-for-acne-prone-skin/

Anon May 13, 2015 at 9:50 am
      What works for you will not necessarily work for others. Coconut oil breaks me out. It’s a product that contains comedogenic ingredients and “is one of the highest scoring comedogenic ingredients on the comedogenicity scale.” I use it on my hair instead.

Mom – before you put any type of oil on your face, make sure you research linoleic versus oleic oils and decide which is best for your face.

Yes, the skin doesn’t absorb water, what it absorbs when using water is whatever cleanser that is used to wash the face.

6. kokodiapurecoconutoil

November 24, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Its one of natures best gifts.
    Its excellent for cooking/baking.

7. didi

November 24, 2015 at 5:06 pm

how can I extract d oil from the coconut

• Chidi

November 24, 2015 at 8:03 pm

You can easily find that out from youtube

• The Buttery Hotness

November 24, 2015 at 8:26 pm

1. Break coconut(s) and separate the meat from the shell. Throw shell away (except you desire to use it as a calabash as I sometimes do, if so, keep). Keep meat, a.k.a. coconut.

2. Some people grate their coconut, but I don’t see the use. Too much stress, because they will still soak it in water. You can cut the coconut into small pieces, then blend it (with water o! Don’t spoil your blender lol). Pour blended coconut into a bowl and get your hands all up in that baby. Wash it as though you are washing rice. What you are trying to do is get the milk out. Then sieve using a strainer (you want something with tiny holes) into another bowl.
      Don’t throw the “chaff” away, you ca use it to make coconut flour like I said below).

3. Now, cover the bowl that has the milk in it and leave it overnight. Next day, there will be a separation of cream from water. The cream will naturally be on top. Gently scoop the creamy part into a pan with a sieve spoon. Throw the water away…or do whatever you want with it.

4. Then cook the creamy part until it’s brown. This will take about an hour or so. Stir it often so that it doesn’t burn. As you cook, the oil will rise to the top and the creamy part will turn brown…it will be like little brown stones…or chin chin. Lol. Anyway, it will descend to the bottom. Cook until you see those brown chin-chiny things at the bottom.

Disclaimer: I haven’t made this yet because I still have a stash of coconut oil. When it’s finish, I intend to be making mine as it saves me money and I know that no foreign body has been added to it. This is the method I am going to use to make mine. Hope it works for you and you understand the steps I tried explaining above.

All the best. x

8. Rs

November 24, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Anyone know a good seller on the Internet to buy coconut oil from?

• kokodiapurecoconutoil

November 25, 2015 at 7:48 am

kokodiapurecoconut oil on IG
      [email protected]
      BN,don’t swallow ooo.
      Thanks

• Spirit

November 29, 2015 at 10:58 am

Amazon.com has a wide range of coconut oils.

9. Tee

November 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Coconut oil is amazing. As soon as i got pregnant, i started using it on my skin especially on my stomach and breast. Im almost 7 months and no stretch marks at all. I also use it for my hair. It makes my scalp itchy though so i only apply it to the hair and its amazing. Gives you a nice sheen and reduces breakage.

10. Mabel

November 24, 2015 at 7:10 pm

My favourite use for coconut oil is cooking with it. I like to use it to pop popcorn on the stove top. I also prefer it for oil pulling and it really is anti-fungal helps to clear up eczema and rashes on the skin real quick.

11. brown-ice

November 24, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Please does it cure headache too since it does almost about everything…….*just being sarcastic*…ironically, a friend gave me coconut oil just yesterday to mix with my cream. I hate applying cream on my body(am I weird?)but I just rub little on my legs and feet(pears baby lotion). I don’t plan to mix the oil with the lotion tho, Just apply the oil on my face and any dark spot I deem fit necessary to apply on. Should I or should I not?

12. The Buttery Hotness

November 24, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Ah coconut oil. I would swear by it, but I’m already swearing by my non-existent goldfish’s grave.
    I love coconut oil! I use it on my hair and my skin, and just recently, to cook/bake. I just made granola and granola bars, substituting the butter required with coconut oil, and it smells and tastes like 5 million stars.
    I’m in the early stages of a relationship with coconuts, substituting my almond milk with coconut milk because this constant almond purchasing of a something is doing strange things to my wallet. Oh, and the “chaff” from the milk-making can be used as flour too. Magical sontin! Hehe

13. Natu

November 24, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I am in love with the coco!!!!! Coconut oil keeps my curls soft, shiny, bouncy and lucious.
    # holygrail.

14. T

November 24, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I use mine to take off my mascara and i think my lashes are growing

15. petra

November 25, 2015 at 7:56 am

the cold-pressed method is the best way to extract the oil from the coconut. With this method,you are sure of getting all the nutrients contained in the oil but by cooking it,you lost some nutrients.

16. MissOma

November 25, 2015 at 10:25 am

so i tried exfoliating using coconut oil and brown sugar as stated above last night!!! i swear down… it was amazing!! after washing it off my face, i couldnt believe it!!!! the softnses and smoothness of my face is beyond words….. thank you bn!!!!!

17. raneema

November 25, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Coconut has so many uses and wonderful benefits. To purchase pure coconut oil in abuja call. 08132645445. Nationwide delivery is also available.

18. Spirit

November 29, 2015 at 11:03 am

Coconut oil has been a life saver for my dry natural hair. I use fractionated coconut oil on my hair daily and the thicker, more solid coconut oil every now and then. It has been a great help as I am determined to keep away from the artificial hair oils I was using in the past that only contributed to hair damage.

19. Ben Menton

April 3, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Informative article! Thank you for sharing this.

20. John Marris

June 1, 2016 at 11:12 am

Use after bathing and keep a small container on your nightstand to massage onto dry hands…in the summer season it is more beneficial.Coconut Oil as a Makeup Remover do not dull our skin although i can’t imagine a day without using COCONUT OIL.

21. confidence

October 23, 2016 at 8:02 am

Contact me if you need coconut oil. Delivery is available. 08182602006

22. Deborah sambo

May 20, 2017 at 5:31 am

wonder working coconut oil. Every thing about coconut oil is important from the shell and every other part hmmmm.