News

BREAKING: Popular EBEANO Supermarket in Lekki is on Fire!

Prince Ebeano Supermarket in Lekki 2Prince Ebeano Supermarket, fondly referred to as Ebeano by its customers is on fire.

The store in the heart of Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos, offers a wide variety – from shawarma outside, to clothes, foodstuff and even hair weave.

We will update you with any official report that emerges on the cause of the fire and any casualties, if any. For now, you are advised to steer clear of the area.
Prince Ebeano Supermarket in Lekki 1

The fire service is currently on the scene.

Photo Credit: Twitter

1. Mystique

November 3, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Father take control…….. this is serious. No casualties in Jesus name…..*praying*

• bummyla

November 3, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Amen!
      bummyla.com

• Ngozi

November 3, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Amen. Don’t know this particular one. Is there still an Ebeano in Vgc. So sad. It may have been insured. Lord have mercy.

• Mfon

November 4, 2015 at 12:31 am

You fools need to take control and do your own part, stop waiting on God or someone else to take control while you sit on your lazy behinds and just pray.idiots. You think by just saying father take control and shouting Jesus all the time things will be fine…..

• Mak

November 4, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Why are you attacking someone that prayed?
      This is very RUDE of you.

2. Mimi May

November 3, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Oh God! See waste of resources. From grace to grass. May God comfort Prince Ebeano.

• bummyla

November 3, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Amen! And Save All Those Wonderful Sales Girls And Two Of Those Wonderful Guys, One In The Village Market And The Other In Ice Cream Section.

bummyla.com

3. cledges

November 3, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I hope he insured th property and business. For. Pete’ s we need to hold these so-called politician (,not leaders) to high standards. How long shall we continue to live in this level of filth. In saner climes there should be a mininmum o.f 6 t o 10 fire stations on the island and a minimum of 20 or more across the mainland

4. bummyla

November 3, 2015 at 6:52 pm

O LORD Save Your People! bummyla.com Ebeano my favorite Supermarket

5. eniola

November 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Are there any casualties????!!!! I hope not!!!

6. Ada

November 3, 2015 at 7:01 pm

What a country that we live in! No reliable fire service on ground for emergencies such as this. Imagine fire service loading water at the scene of the incident… When they should be making prompt moves to put out the fire. On top of that, No rescue efforts for people who may be trapped in there… Nigeria really has a long way to go! It’s sad to see avoidable tragedies like this unfold…

7. Amaka

November 3, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I am in shock. I love Ebeabi as if it’s my own. I used to supply them. They really helped my business. Can’t believe this.

I just confirmed that there are no casualties. Thank God.

• eniola

November 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Are you sure no casualties??????? Thank God!!!!!!!!!

• excellent

November 4, 2015 at 12:10 am

Yes no casualties. My boss is the sis to the owner of the supermarket. She just got back from the scene. A Lot of thing was destroyed by this fire but thank God no body was trapped in there.

8. Amaka

November 3, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Sorry for the typo. Ebeano I mean.

9. adeshola

November 3, 2015 at 7:51 pm

See the waste of resources, feeling constipated about these

10. Bobolink

November 3, 2015 at 8:06 pm

so sad…….. My goodness……..I hope the insurance company compensates them. Properly.

11. Kozy

November 3, 2015 at 8:21 pm

OMG!

12. Structure

November 3, 2015 at 8:33 pm

What was someone saying a comment I read months ago. Something like, with all the money and fancy fancy fake pretentiousness on the island, they think they are living life, it is when a crisis hits that the realities of living in a third world country will dawn on you, and not the fact that you can buy croissant or drive the best cars. Imagine, in the so called “highbrow” Lekki, they can’t even get fire service. Millions of Naira down the drain, just like that. I hope nobody lost their lives or gravely injured. emergency services zero, yet they can soend money on extravagant nonsense. The day all the money you have in Lagos won’t save your life. Like the comment said. You can step out of a world class restaurant on the island and have an accident the next minute. The world class facilities you enjoyed a few seconds ago, will mean nothing, when an ambulance to give you first aid treatment or fire service to cut you out of a mangled car, something that a poor man in developed countries will get at the dial of 3 numbers can’t get to you. We are just walking our way backwards in that Nigeria. Put basics in place first and then reach for the stars. But I forgot, it is Lagos. Land of the mirage. I hope he had insurance and I pray he recovers from this. Such a huge shame that the country has let him down. The state of Nigeria is like building a house on quick sand. It may look good on top, but there is no structure supporting it below. In a crisis the building can collapse at a moment’s notice. Here we have it. Oga Ebeano. Sorry o

• Peter

November 3, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I had to go and search for that post. You have a good memory – http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/02/04/bn-reader-moses-obroku-shares-the-story-of-his-traumatic-experience-after-an-accident-on-3rd-mainland-bridge/. @janepublic must be a soothsayer. She mentioned your house catching fire. You are on your own. Welcome to Lagos. The only place in the world with million dollar real estate and zero emergency services. Ebute Metta and Lekki, two extremes of the social strata, property and livelihoods also engulfed by fire, millions from both places, yet your millions can not save you in a time like this and it has nothing to do with jealousy. @ocean’s beauty. Everything is always about jealousy and “hate” in this country. Are those the only two emotions your brain can comprehend?

• Ocean Beauty

November 3, 2015 at 10:19 pm

My brain can’t comprehend more words apart from jealousy and hate. Wonder where your own brain has landed you.
      I wasn’t expecting you to understand me and I will not explain.

• Bougie Chic

November 4, 2015 at 10:03 am

Huh @Ocean Beauty, Your points are well articulated and there’s a lot of truth in them. Only that I think you misunderstood Peter’s reference to ‘Jealousy and hate’. I believe he means that a lot Nigerians generally attribute speaking one’s mind/the truth to being jealous or hateful. That’s not to say he’s calling u a hater.
      But, it’s truly sad that this happened. I was screaming when my brother told me this morning. One can only hope that he has insurance.

• Ovadje

November 3, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Citizens are supposed to be the “foundation” that supports the structure – and it starts by paying taxes! We have already known for 55 years how bad our leadership is (and not just the political leadership btw), whining about it won’t change anything (after all, those leaders were not shipped in from outside but were one of us whiners until they got into leadership positions). Ultimately, we are all collectively responsible (by individual acts of commission or omission) for the state and fate of Nigeria. Meanwhile, my sympathy to the shop owners.

• Anon D. T. Sayer

November 4, 2015 at 6:15 am

Really, it starts bybpaying taxes? Which said taxes are stollen rather than used for development? Trust me, most of us pay only so they don’t hound us.
      We are yet to see our taxes put to good use.

• OMA

November 4, 2015 at 8:41 am

Perhaps you are the solution. Maybe start a private company that provides the services you have spoken of.

• kkay

November 6, 2015 at 6:18 pm

@Structure….Right on point. Nigeria is not just a third world country but a pitiful
      assemblage of rural communities engulfed in squalor! Lagos as a state or city is just the queen of slums!

Sometimes in the course of duty, I get to see some parts of Lagos that bring tears to my eyes. The reality is that successive government has done nothing ! No planning, no structures, no public enlightenment…..filth, filth, unending filth! People eat and live in the midst of filth in most parts of this awful city. Thank God Ebola did not spread!

The pretencious ways of life in Lagos has me fazed. Everbody wants to belong…..to what, if I may ask? Pathetic!
      The state government is busy sandfilling bar beach for Eko Atlantic city , a “potential slum-paradise” while the surrounding Victoria Island , Ikoyi and Lekki are falling apart and there is no fully functional surface rail transport for commuters, proper drainage and refuse disposal/recycling systems.

Common sense, not even visionary leadership should have made the state government build adequate functional fire service stations in each community considering the menace posed by traffic on Lagos roads.
      Most accidents in Nigeria that claim lives and properties are preventable including maternal and infant mortality rates. Health care delivery and portable water would be another day’s discourse.

My heartfelt sympathy to the management and staff of Prince Ebeano Supermarket in this ime of their loss. I hope they also took out an insurance policy.

*It would be advisable for companies, communities , schools and public facilities to have fire hydrants or mini fire service facilities.*

My friend’s house was saved from a fire incident because his white neighbour had one in his house and came to the rescue.

13. Ocean Beauty

November 3, 2015 at 9:01 pm

So it’s the residents of the island that will do the job of government? The fact that you cannot afford to live on the island or you cannot spend millions as they do, doesn’t mean you should hate.
    Or did millions of naira not go down the drain at Ebute Metta today?
    This kind pepper body person still typing from traffic by this hour be jealous of another person

• Tari

November 3, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Are you really sure you read the comment and comprehended it well?
      My thoughts are with the owner of the supermarket, its workers whose income is hereby threatened and shoppers who might have been caught in there and are obviously traumatized.
      I just hope he had adequate insurance.

• nikky

November 4, 2015 at 8:44 am

You sound ret****d. Im sorry for using that word but you really do. You
      Did you even read the comment well and here you are calling someone jealous. Noone is asking the rich to do the job of the government, He is just saying the nation needs a total remodel. Our foundation needs to be stronger and this cuts across every sector. Imagine a supermarket like Ebeano burning to the ground, Have you even been in there before and seen the millions invested in that store? If you have you will understand the irony of @structure’s comment.

14. jd

November 3, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I was there this evening when the fire started, I was right in there shopping with my 6 months old baby in my arms when I heard the fire alarm. Immediately they brought out fire extinguishers to put off the fire but the flames and smoke was quite a lot. I ran out with my baby, i dint even look back, got in my car and zoomed off. Its chocking to see the fire got worse cos I thought it was contained. It’s very very sad as this store serves us real good in that community. God have mercy.

• Tosin

November 4, 2015 at 12:14 am

i just want to know what caused the fire, to be honest. it will now be arson….

• Deola

November 4, 2015 at 12:41 am

Thank God you and your baby are safe!

15. Nonye

November 4, 2015 at 7:28 am

Our beloved Ebeano, I hope you build back up quickly. Such a shame. May the Lord’s help be with you.

16. Rukayat

November 4, 2015 at 9:56 am

I used to work @ prince ebeano and I know the worth og goods that has gone down due to the fire. Goods in the store alone is tripple what customers see on the shop floor, even furnitures & fitting. Its a pity the emergency agencies still lack quick response. I pray the lord Almighty grant prince and oga ebeano grace to recover the loss

17. hmmmmmmmm

November 4, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Ebeano no oooo, how can this happen to my beloved ebeano.

18. [email protected] pizza

November 4, 2015 at 8:59 pm

mmmmmmmh….., is quit a pity and painful, what a country without protection…….
    God help us

19. luckyogheneovu

November 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Demmm….. Its a pity wat a painful situation
    unbelievable