News

Watch Genevieve Nnaji & Oris Erhuero talk about ‘Road to Yesterday’: The Chemistry, Challenges & More

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Genevieve Nnaji & Oris Erhuero

Genevieve Nnaji and Oris Erhuero are currently the names on everyone’s lips because of the movie ‘Road to Yesterday’.

The movie closed out the 2015 Africa International Film Festival and received amazing reviews.

During the screening Pulse TV caught up with Genevieve and Oris and asked them questions about shooting the movie, their expectations for the movie, building Nollywood to an enviable standard and more.

Watch the interviews below.

On the Oscars not being a benchmark for Nollywood:

On their chemistry on set:

On the challenges while shooting the movie:

On ‘Road to Yesterday’ being a statement movie:

1. eyong

November 19, 2015 at 10:35 am

I love Genevieve, I do, but she really is slacking. I see the trailer for the this movie, and I compare it to the one I just saw of Rita Dominic’s 76 and I think back on she and Omotola in Ije and Omotola in Ties that Bind and I honestly feel like she has been left behind. She’s still a superstar no doubt, but her perfomances are just so one dimensional. No depth. She has an incredibly hard time portraying vulnerability like the others, and her perfomances since before Felicima(?) are just so dry. Please Genie, stop strong strong face everywhere, take a challenging role like you did in that movie “Beloved” when you were a village girl and barely even had on make up. YOu’ve become so obsessed with always keeping up the brand that you’re actually hurting it. You’re an actor, first and foremost, so ACT. Honestly, you’re becoming very disappointing to watch for me ooo.

2. vics

November 19, 2015 at 10:42 am

I like Genevieve but damn she seems a bit too uptight, relax girrrl. And honestly i don’t understand what that man was all about

• nene

November 19, 2015 at 7:25 pm

that guy just seemed high and out of it.

3. Spirit

November 19, 2015 at 10:43 am

It is nice when an African’s work gets recognition abroad but I agree with Nnaji that we should focus on building our film industries on the continent so that they become a force to reckon with globally. We need to work at raising our own standards.

4. Beeeee

November 19, 2015 at 10:45 am

Can this movie come out already???? I love the way Genevieve speaks, no fake forneh-ing or nothing. Beautiful lady….and Mr. Erhuero….i could get used to him too. lol

5. xag

November 19, 2015 at 11:22 am

Onscreen chemistry indeed. The babe dey feel the guy die.

6. Martha

November 19, 2015 at 11:42 am

Oris almost messe up the interview

7. Zee

November 19, 2015 at 11:47 am

Why do I feel this chemistry goes beyond the screen? Bae Genny, if you love him we love him too..?

• len

November 20, 2015 at 5:27 pm

i actually felt the same way. she kept avoiding looking in his direction and she kept fidgeting. watch the second video from 1:25mins or so. and he can’t look at her either. very very awkward…. hahahahahaha. it’s obvious there are more feelings involved off screen

8. george from cameroon

November 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

this is too eyong, its definitely clear you dont understand the dynamics of film, 76 with stars rita is a crime thriller by nature and most portray such captivativeness, in its trailer unlike road to yesterday which is a romantic drama film, they can never execute thesame edge whether in hollywood or bollywood and pls stop comparing genevieve to rita, their acts are worlds apart.genevieve has this effortless screen touch which many in the industry dont have, she may be stereotype in her choice of roles yes, but thats not a crime.even JULIA the americas sweet heart is stereotyped to romantic comic roles, and many more like jenifer aniston etc.it all boils down to how you execute each role so if ur expecting genny to start taking up roles like will potray her ugly or unattractive to prove her talent den ur wrong. and truly i now believe nigerians dont value their greatness cuz genevieve nnaji is someone only few can dare to criticize her here in cameroon.she is practically adored as your best export

• eyong

November 19, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Actually, I’m cameroonian, can’t you tell from the name??? And no, Julia Roberts and Aniston have been very vocal that they choose light movies because heavy movies wear them down emotionally, because when an actor gives himself to his job, it DOES impact them. Some have been even known to die from gettting too far into character. Halle berry had to stop method acting because she almost lost her life, Heath Ledger actually died because of method acting. SO… Julia Roberts and Aniston are not people you should be bringing up, they have been very vocal about the reasons they choose the kind of movies they do. But the fact is, they excel at the kind of movies they do. Genevieve doesn’t. When she gets it right, it’s magical, but for the most part she is very stiff in her deliverance, some times you get the feeling it has been rehearse 50 times. She lacks depth as an actor. That’s as simple as it go. She lacks depth. And again, she is a one trick pony. Nothing in the trailer for RTY says otherwise. The way she delivered her lines are the same way she did in that movie with Joseph Benjamin when she was raped, and in Bursting out. No difference. The only time she has really impressed me in the last five years was when she did the crying scene in the movie “The mirror boy” when her son got missing. That was very well executed. Otherwise… bleh.

9. La'Shonda Balogun

November 19, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Genny is so uptight and defensive in every interview. Relax and enjoy yourself. No need to be so tense all the time!

10. nameoh

November 19, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I’ve been saying it for years, Genevieve is too stiff as an actress. Any actor should make you believe they’re actually going through the emotions they portray and i find it hard to connect with her. She’s a sweetheart, no doubt, but something is off.

11. paul

November 19, 2015 at 2:34 pm

shes a shy person and dats not a crime, not every person should behave thesame during intertviews, as long as she a wonderful actrress dont judge her offscreeen characters

12. Ms Jazz

November 19, 2015 at 2:50 pm

@george from Cameron you obviously haven’t been following NOLLYWOOD because if you did, you won’t write the nonsense you just did. yes maybe you could have said that before about Rita but not in the last five years! Her body of work, impeccable delivery of challinging roles etc has put her back on top and is the one to beat these days among the top three. She was phenomenal in the meeting, Iyore, 76 is looking great too and a few others. the lady’s acting has cooked well well now abegi! Genny is talented yes, very! but she needs to do more and remind us why she was or is the darling of Nollywood because some of us are gradually forgetting

• linda

November 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Calm yourself down. Iyore was no hit. People left the cinemas disappointed. The meeting is three years old. and that 76 trailer looks like the conventional Ikechukwu Onyeka movie. Nothing special about it. Surulere trailer looks like a borefest too. How is Rita Dominic the one to beat when Surulere has 5000 views on youtube after two months compared to the 90,000 Road to Yesterday first teaser has. Watching a Genevieve Nnaji movie is not by force, my people. If you want to watch Rita Dominic, go and watch and leave us in peace

• lili

November 20, 2015 at 11:47 pm

ummm i beg to differ but IYORE was a massive hit .ok bye

• Smallie

November 19, 2015 at 6:57 pm

@Ms Jazz If you truly you are a fan of Genny and have been following her career, you’ll calm down. Have you watched this movie before reaching your conclusion that Genny hasn’t improved on her craft? Did you even watch the interview above at all? Do you even read her interviews at all? Because if you do, you would assume as you are doing presently. In her recent interview with This day live, she told the interviewer that the next project from her production outfit is a comedy. I am sure this is so in order for her to prove to people like you that she hasn’t lost it. She is still the versatile Genevieve from day 1 and I can’t wait to see her in that project. Asides that, she also said in another interview that she took up this character in “road to yesterday” to answer questions like “are you that good? Or are you even as great?” Trust me, she is taking note of the criticisms. And she request her fans to watch this film to tell her how they feel she has matured as an actress. Even in the interview above, she clearly state that she likes playing the “suffering soul” character. Do not base your assessment of her craft on a two minutes trailer. All the reviews have read concerning the movie have been positive. So please I advice you watch before you go on your objective criticism parade. And please Rita isn’t the one to beat. She only made it to the top recently through excessive buzz. I as an individual wasn’t impressed with her delivery in “the meeting” and “iyore” though she had some good moments in “iyore”. My favorite movie of hers is still “white waters”. “76” is one I am really looking forward to. As for Genny,please watch this movie first, then decide if she has improved or depreciated. Thanks!

13. Ms Jazz

November 19, 2015 at 2:52 pm

And do your search well. Julia is not stereotyped to comic roles. Watch her in Erin brokovich, etc and come back for a discussion

14. aikay

November 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

@Ms Jazz and that ignorant and foolish eyong, You can go to all the blogs, tabloids and newspaper to spew jealousy and hatred all in d name of objective criticism but I tell you what, it would not change a thing cos Genny stays number 1 the industry, whether stiff oh, stereotyped oh, boring oh etc dt is your own selfish and foolish opinion. I have all the collection of her movies and I just loved the way she has evolved to this superstar we see today, tickets for her premier were sold out and i bet cheap ass haters like you could not afford to be there. I was there and it was a unanimous 100% for genny in terms of delivery even her fellow colleagues were blown away. You only watched a free two mins trailer and jump to conclusion. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!

• eyong

November 19, 2015 at 8:29 pm

LMAOOO! I didn’t know that my opinion was giving people heart attack on BN! Oh gosh, I’m so sorry for your depression. I mean, you would have to be depressed na, what other explanation is there for you insulting and demeaning people you’ve never even met? Genevieve is becoming a one trick pony. I’ve said it. If you like cry, if not, go and jump off a skyscrapper. Oyo is your case. She lacks versatility. She plays thesame characters over and over and over again, and it’s tiring. Omotola has surpassed her, Rita Dominic has surpassed her. Even small Ivie Ojukuye is about to knock her down, talent wise. You can worship her all you want, it doesn’t make her more than she is. She used to be so good, now she is not. And with fans like you who can’t even understand constructive criticism, no wonder she is deluding herself that she’s doing good work. Please, keep praising her mediocrity, and she’ll keep being mediocre. LMAOO!

15. Ms jazz

November 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Linda relax and breathe. I am talking about acting and growing In it of late, not popularity. Three Very disparate things

• linda

November 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Well if the people don’t want to watch the versatiity and the growth that Rita Dominic is displaying, then I wouldn’t want Genevieve to tow her line. I just checked the trailer for her movie “The Guest”. After 7 months, it has less than 7,000 views and hasn’t even been premiered yet. So if Genevieve’s stiff acting gets her more views on youtube and more publicity, then by all means let her continue. And that is the cue for you to stick to only Rita Dominic movies.

16. george from cameroon

November 19, 2015 at 4:04 pm

yes mrs jazz, i have watched erinkrobrovich , it was an autobiography but yes it was a dramatic role and not out of julia confort zone just like genevieve does in all her movies wether RTY or ije or even mirror boy so nothing special about julias role in dat movie

17. george from cameroon

November 19, 2015 at 4:11 pm

exactly aikay, they have just watched a 2 mins trailer and are saying rubbish , rita in the meeting was good but not a deep role like gennys in RTY, the credit of clara ikemba should be given to the creator of dat character, it was just a different character from her usuall dat was the main buzz but not that her performance was very deep ,a big NOO, and yes i follow your industry morethan you do madame JAZZ, i really do

18. Ms jazz

November 19, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Mr George now I know you have no idea about characterization if you can write what you just did. Rita brought that character Clara Ikemba to life and tore it to pieces please! Don’t get me wrong, I love love Genny but I want to see more, I miss my Genny of before that could play any role and I know she still can because you cannot take away her talent! Nothing wrong with wanting that! Shior! Now run along, buahahahaha.

• george from cameroon

November 19, 2015 at 5:15 pm

genny mst not flow to your tune, to us we have seen alot, even if she stops today, and yes i say it again there is none like her, many can act but not all have the total package she has got, dats why she is a superstar, she carries d feel portrayed in most most hollywood stars , a handful in d whole nigeria have dat, get dat straight

19. Dolly

November 19, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Reading these comments got me like…..stop this hate ish, its called objective criticism. I love Genny and for years I have been saying she comes across cold, no she’s not exactly stiff in movies she just happen to have no range in her delivery.
    Her choice of roles does little or nothing to help her non versatile body of work as she seems to always play her self (cold & stand off ish till she’s comfortable with you). She needs a script that will drive her out of her comfort zone, that separates real Genevieve from the character.
    If you doubt me watch the interview again and then watch the movie trailer…..now tell me if you could tell the difference in mannerisms, personality and composure.

20. Umbrella

November 19, 2015 at 7:16 pm

But why can’t we have intelligent discussions and agree to disagree without the insults and name calling?

21. nene

November 19, 2015 at 7:21 pm

this movie looks boring. i’m having second thoughts. genevieve seems quite shy and uncomfortable with interviews.

22. Janee

November 19, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Why do you guys want to cause conflicts between these 3 women and create unnecessary competition they didn’t ask for? Genny, Rita, Omotola are very very talented women with different acting styles, super stardom status, international appeal who make us proud in Nig and Africa. Leave them be. Love all of them

23. paul

November 19, 2015 at 8:01 pm

and who are you to have second thoughts and towards what????

24. anslem

November 19, 2015 at 8:18 pm

You all should know this. When an actor begins his or her career as an actor, they grow and if that actor is serious enough to know that talent is never enough, then that actor is prepared to go deep into his craft by rehearsing on his own even when he is not up to be on set. I studied theatre art n judging from queen GENEVIEVE acting ways, I can say that she has grown I am yet to see RTY but I don’t want to be dissapointed and I know I wont be. I like Rita and genny but Genny is a far more brilliant actress. Genny makes me forget that I am watching a movie and she makes it look as if it is really happening. Always on d go. Rita delivers brilliantly, she focuses more on being good at each scene so that she doesn’t dissapoint herself, director or d fans. Please this my own opinion. They are the only two nollywood ladies that make me visit the cinema. I wish Genevieve Nnaji can be engaged in more dangerous stories and play roles such as a daring female investigator. I hope my stories get to her some day.

25. nedu

November 19, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Eyong,I can see you have not been following Genevieve’s movies, every role she have played,at least I can remember them vividly ,both , blind ,crippled, warrior, killer,pauper,maid, a lawyer, and she did justice to them, so do not say what you don’t know, those roles you want her to play now haven’t come to her doesn’t mean she can’t play them, by the way who mentioned ‘ties that bind ‘the role omotola played there ,whatwhat’s special about it, any asaba actress can even do it more better, , ….Genevieve is a natural actor than the two mentioned, I can’t watch any movie omotola is starring until she stop shouting. Rita Dominic is good but ‘ Iyore ‘ she couldn’t pull it,I don’t know if it was the storyline.

• linda

November 20, 2015 at 2:12 am

Gbam. You have said it all. Genevieve has an extensive catalog of work. From playing a blind girl in wind of glory to playing the conniving wife and sister in Blood Sisters and Private Sin and then transitioning into the star crossed lover who will even steal money for her paramour in Power of Love, she has done it all. Let us not forget her role as rape victim in Tango with me and Promise me Forever and that of a born again girl who was coerced into sex by her employer in order to save her brother’s life in Piece of Flesh. The other ladies are merely playing catch up on the extensive amount of work Genevieve has already done

• Beeeee

November 20, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Yes, Wind of Glory, God bless you Linda. I have been trying to remember the name of that movie for months..lol…..I was looking for it to buy but I couldnt remember the name

26. similicious

November 20, 2015 at 6:36 pm

y’all are talking about her past achievements as an actor but fail to acknowledge her woeful performance in ‘Doctor Bello’

27. nnenne

November 21, 2015 at 5:39 am

Genevieve dear, is this movie making it on line?
    Am a die hard fan and you can never go wrong in y eyes!

28. shayla

April 17, 2016 at 6:57 pm

People in the united states like me watch alot of african movies and enjoy them dearly. I have been on the hunt for this movie. I would like to view it. Please tell me where I can find it.