Relationships

#NdaniRealTalk is Back! Watch Ono Bello, Emmanuel Ikubese & Ikechukwu talk about ‘Ageism + Dating’

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

NdaniTV’s Real Talk has been on hiatus for a couple of weeks and we are so glad they are back this December.

To kick things off we have Ono Bello, Emmanuel Ikubese and Ikechukwu with the host of the show, Cornelia O’Dwyer as they talk about ageism and dating.

Will you comfortably date a man or woman who is significantly older than you?

Watch the episode below

1. Ade

December 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, the wait is over.

• Osa

December 8, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Father in heaven, answer my prayers now now now!!!!! you must Looooorrrrddddd!!!!
      Conversations like this upset me. . . .

• Osa

December 8, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Meanwhile, Ono my dear sister, this una MONALISA hair do makes you look like the mother in that Addamms family cartoon/ movies

• Leah

December 8, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Yay except for Ono Bello. Don’t like her. Too rude. On top nothing. Full stop.

2. AK

December 8, 2015 at 3:36 pm

YAAY!!!!! Dancing azonto, etighi and shoki……real talk is back!!!

3. Blondie

December 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm

yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.yyyyy….shakiti bobo…..azonto…shoki…all join! i missed u guys, and Cornelia’s beautiful smile. oya lemme go back and watch

4. Ladylady

December 8, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Ideally age should not be an issue but seeing that we ladies are more mature than our *sameage* counterparts *men* ..It will be risky to go for an even younger man….adding that the world is getting tougher, finding a mature minded younger man is like seeking water in the desert! so for me, it is a NO…..
    I wont even go on to add the arguments etc when dating your age mate, how much more a younger man……nothing is cast in stone tho…..God help us 🙁

• Osa

December 8, 2015 at 7:42 pm

problem of younger men with older ladies is that it may be all honky dory at the start, but 10, 20, 30 years down the line, his eyes may ‘clear’ and its then he will remember that his wife is a n old woman. he may start to desire very young girls as he would think he has been deprived of ‘youthfulness’ in a woman.

• Nefertiti

December 8, 2015 at 8:35 pm

@osa: after 20-30 years, Wetin u want again?

• Osa

December 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm

@Nefertiti, together forever with my hubby. Forget story, how long is 20 yrs.? Why do women in their 40s, 50s. 60s, vex when their husbands ‘check out’. No woman wants to be cheated on regardless of her age.
      Not that older men don’t cheat on their wives, but a younger man is more likely to leave his wife at some point than if he were reasonably older than his wife – usually for a much younger woman. Ashton Kutcher/ Demi Moore, Nicole Shezinger’s partner, etc

5. Blondie

December 8, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I stand with Ono Bello. For me if he’s mature at heart, respects me & makes me happy, I’ll consider. I’m not gonna rule that off completely. Same goes for the older men, there are a lot big babies out there. If you’re much older than me, you should be able to motivate me, and also accept what I have to offer him.

6. Somtoo

December 8, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Ikechukwu was playing it safe. I wanted to hear him talk more based on his experiences. I would think that is the reason he was asked to be a guest? He speaks very well though.

Mz bello and emmanuel gave real talk but this episode was kinda boring for such an interesting topic.

That said, i have dated younger men and both experiences were just horrid. They both seemed confused. They are both very successful but i fear immature. The annoying thing was that at the start of these relationships, they were all so serious but later started acting like kids.

Now i have another young one on my case. I am 2 years older. Probably wondering why i am not interested in him cos he is fine and all that but mehn, my past experiences with younger men i fear has scarred me. I kinda feel flattered though hehehehehehe. (See me feeling like cougar with my tiny self)

7. baby4u2

December 8, 2015 at 5:03 pm

The people on the street sha… Let me hold my comment

8. KB

December 8, 2015 at 5:45 pm

lmao….abeg the people on the streets are the ones that owned this show.

9. niyoola

December 8, 2015 at 5:58 pm

This Emmanuel guy, I don’t get why he thinks a guy crying over heartbreak is immature. SMH

If you are cool with being with a guy who’s 5 years younger than you, then why should you have issues with a girl being with a man thats 40 years older than she is.
    When it comes to matters of the heart & money, to each his own.

That said, this episode was kinda dry. even the Street interviews were not as funny as previous ones. The girl with the braided top know though, hollup, gerrarahere mehn

10. Sheri

December 8, 2015 at 7:10 pm

So what does everybody think about same age relationships please? When the guy takes a few months off the lady?

Because i had this issue when I was dating somebody a few months older than me…My Mum and a few Aunt’s would not stop discouraging me!

• kehinde

December 8, 2015 at 9:44 pm

few months is okay nao its not bad

11. bb

December 8, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Ono Bello – your make up is horrid – and your a fashion enthusiast what a joke?

• goldfinch

December 8, 2015 at 9:05 pm

In fact I couldn’t agree with you more. Her make up is so off-putting like kilode? #smh #sigh

December 8, 2015 at 10:10 pm

It is “”you’re”, not “your”. #petpeeve

• Nuna

December 9, 2015 at 7:11 am

You are actually the wrong one. Smh ndi nkuzi

• Nuna

December 9, 2015 at 7:12 am

Ok I see where you corrected her. You’re a fashion enthusiast. lol

• Bee

December 9, 2015 at 2:25 am

Have been noticing her make up is always off and her hair. When i saw dis clip I was like- again!

• Huh

December 9, 2015 at 8:30 am

Wetin concern una, you are eating panadol on another woman’s head. Huh?

12. Noms

December 8, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Yiiippppeeeee
    I have missed ndani true talk.
    I can’t date a younger guy because I don’t think I can submit to a younger guy.

13. Kevline

December 8, 2015 at 7:28 pm

then again…how do you define ‘mature’? it is subjective and open to interpretation.

14. Cynical

December 8, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Bia,real talk……if you guys are doing,do,if not,stop.ah ah.What is all this one of getting someone hooked then taking a ‘hiatus’. Biko dikwa careful o,dikwa very careful. Ok let me now go and watch #rantover

15. a

December 8, 2015 at 8:27 pm

is the people on the street that keeps me excited lmao!

16. Ty

December 8, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Ono bello contradicts herself. She can date a younger guy and fear people will judge her but then she is judging others that prefer much older men.

17. Bruness

December 8, 2015 at 10:49 pm

I have an aunt and a friend who are married to younger guys and are not complaining, my aunt has been married for 14 years and my friend for 3 and they seem to be doing okay. My aunt was 36 and he was 30 but it felt like he was 40 everything about him screamed maturity, he commanded respect in everything he does. She treats him like a king and he worships her. Maturity is not a function of age. #hugh jackman 13 years younger than his wife #debbie Allen 5 years older #kaffy 8 years older #shakira 10 years older #darey 8 years younger #eva Mendes 6 years older. Younger or Older maturity is the key word!!

• t

December 8, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Bruness are you from Northampton? Just curious Cuz you mentioned Debbie, I know her and her husband. Lovely couple.

• Bruness

December 10, 2015 at 12:49 am

Hi t, no I’m not I just love her work it’s all! Nice to know. I’m a fan.

18. nnenne

December 8, 2015 at 11:47 pm

He has to be older, more educated, more accomplished. I can’t deal with inferiority complex. I can be a pain in the a**, sometimes.

19. nnenne

December 8, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Drawing from Emmanuel, I love it when Nigerian men want women who are accomplished, independent and can contribute to the family financially and otherwise.
    What I find hard to understand is why these men are still stuck to gender roles of women from the first century!!!!
    Their role as men could be taken over by women when necessary but the traditional role of women MUST stay with them.
    The outcome of that, of course, is a burnt out wife and mother, who is miserable, who can’t achieve her life potentials, dysfunctional family, unhappy husband and children, most times, divorce.

• Surely

December 9, 2015 at 5:48 am

This is right after saying a man must be better than you. Then you want to mention gender roles. Incongruous schools of thought.

• nnenne

December 10, 2015 at 12:38 pm

@Surely….. Why not?
      That he is older and more accomplished doesn’t me I have to be an idiot and a liability.
      I will also contribute mentally and financially to the home.
      Trust me, am a modem day independent woman, who , from day one believe that my partner is not my father, even when we were dating!
      I give a lot and I demand a lot too.
      I will be your wife and partner but not your maid.
      BTW my husband is 3 years older and I thank God he is a modern day Nigerian man!

20. Ono spoke well

December 9, 2015 at 3:26 am

From the comments I thought Ono messed up but she actually spoke well. Yes she put a limit 5 years younger and for the girls in their 20s who marry their ancestors that’s scary

21. cuppy

December 9, 2015 at 8:11 am

I have always desired to marry someone way way older than i am but ended with someone 2yrs older,his immaturity is killing me,can keep malice for ages,wears his ego on his sleeves,stingy as hell and always plays the am smarter than you game……initially,i was a cry baby cos malice hurts me a lot i hate it and was all out to be a very good christain woman…….along the line i figured dude ain’t gonna change even after 4 kids, so i picked up the pieces of my heart,installed a rock ,encouraged myself,got a business running,enrolled for my pg,made new friends,started gym…..got a tv in my room and concentrated on myself.
    2 weeks ago he started with his ish,i moved on rather than crying and begging,though i still make his meal and greet him whenever he’s home,dude is confused and this one time my heart is so set to wait it out,no matter how long it takes,what nonsense!!!!!if he wants a divorce i will be so glad cos he has become like the bondage of pharoah to me…….which kain one week one trouble marriage is this.

• Nita

December 9, 2015 at 10:04 am

Sister! I feel ur pain….my fiancée is an ASS….BELIEVES I should be a furniture housewife who does things to please him at my own detriment….the egotistical human thinks he can run my life trying to dictate who I can hang out with…how much time I spend with my family e.t.c I lost my bestie and instead of him to console me, he tells me he doesn’t like talking about death nd I should focus and save my tears for him and Daniel….when I try to speak up he threatens me with breakup and beating….I broke up with his sorry ass yesterday when he nearly slapped me….no time for whiny fools…being single is the ish oh and sweetie if he still continues to act up….ask for a divorce…Lord knows that those that think that they are smarter are actually dumber

22. Rita

December 9, 2015 at 9:53 am

Nice episode as for me I’m not into dating a younger man, you can say all you want about maturity but come on! a man in his twenties will do as a man in his twenties does, we all know women are wiser than men in their same age ranges so what does that say of marrying a younger guy do you really want to be the one to groom your husband? Most women in such relationships will never tell you what they deal with indoors to save face, we women talk a big game but come on sometimes you just want to come home after a hard days work and cuddle your man knowing he has things under control on your off days this you can’t do when you’re constantly babying someone.
    In conclusion do you think a younger man will go for an older woman that is broke??? I don’t think so, these men know what they want and love it the last thing on his mind my sisters

• Chim Banjo

December 9, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Girl!! My husband is 12 years older than me but still acts like a teenager whose pants are on fire, always wants to lord things over me like I have no mind of my own. Always calling me a small girl, I really don’t want to go into details but it’s upsetting. I’d trade him for a younger guy worth his salt. All this talk about women not saying what they face indoors to save face, sorry! But doesn’t every woman do that? Even the one married to the so called older men like mine who is in his 40’s face shit indoors and smile outside he quarrels like a child, social media is his friend, which reasonable man visits badoo we all know what happens there and to think I accepted this man but got all I was running away from younger guys… ain’t life a bitch! I’m not perfect but is it too much to ask that I be with someone and live and love till God calls. If you find it in a younger, older or your mate go for it. There’s no hard and fast rule to it.

23. kehinde

December 9, 2015 at 4:09 pm

All these ladies in BN have really met with stupid men sha.

I live in another world o. The brothers I roll with are too fantastic. You guys need to start looking for the right thing in a man… Not only the money and stuff.

Unto the topic…. I am currently dating an older lady, she is sooooo mature that i learn from her. I just make sure i am there for her and all that caring…

But there is this Dorobucci married man chasing her uphandan.

I have taken the man to the Altar in prayer sha. Just as the lord turned Ahitophel’s wisdom to foolishness, He will turn is taste for my girl to running from her.

• Angie

December 9, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Tell them oh.
      My husband is a year younger than me and we get on very well. Who even has to know how old your gf/bf is?

Old or young, tall or short, rich or poor, dark or light skinned, all you need is a man who will love you as Christ loved the church. Everything else should be an addition to that.

24. nene

December 9, 2015 at 8:59 pm

the streets is where it’s at..lmao

25. Mr. R

December 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

I dont really agree that girls d same age of guys are wiser! At 17 dating a guy whose is 7years older than u (acting all foolish claiming to be in love…) dosnt come across to me as wisdom. At 21 or even earlier sleeping with oda women’s husbands or dating guys just bcos of materials things just so u can form ‘big girl’ infront of ur friends, and running back to d same person who abuses u and threats u as inferior…choosing that same person over a more caring person who might not be as bouyant when it comes to material things… doesnt depict wisdom!.
    Having said dat girls i agree that more likely to grow or experiences stuff more than guys! But then again if u ask dis girls d stuff dey do at these ages at a later date….dey would most likely regret them!
    So i think d word to use is ‘Wild or exposed’ not ‘wisdom’

26. Mr. R