Style

Beauty Geek: Quick Remedy For Human Hair Using A Microwave?!

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 02.41.43Have you ever spent so much on human hair bundles and after a month or two, the hair just starts misbehaving (tangling, matting, shedding etc.) and not necessarily because it’s not good quality? The hair may simply be dried out or weak due to lack of nourishment from the scalp.

I stumbled on this trick a while ago on YouTube, it seemed so ludicrous at the time but I was brave enough to try it out and was pleasantly surprised! I have been doing it ever since and it works wonderfully well.

Ever heard of the hot oil hair treatment? It is a method of restoring health to hair, using natural oils. The oil is heated applied to the hair and allowed to sit for a while. This treatment ensures that the hair really absorbs the oils which can then perform various functions.

The same thing applies to human hair, and can be used to restore your hair bundles to their former lustre and glory. Here is how to carry out the treatment:

1. Comb the hair out and detangle
  2. Remove any combs, rubber or metal
  3. Apply generous amounts of hair mayo and  natural oils (olive oil, coconut oil, etc)
  4. Comb the hair to make sure the product is well distributed
  5. Put the hair in a plastic bag and make sure it air tight
  6. Put it in a microwave for 1 minute (2 minutes max!)
  7. The bag should be very hot. Wrap a towel around the bag with the hair.
  8. Leave it for about 10 hours
  9. Rinse the hair

The difference will be so clear. I’ve had hair pieces as old as 3 years that still look fabulous! I’d love to know if you try this out and if it works for you.

Before you try this, make sure the hair is actually human hair. I have never tried this with synthetic hair or the synthetic-human hair blend and I have no idea what the result would be. Also don’t leave your hair in the microwave for too long. Try a minute first and then, if the hair isn’t hot enough leave it for another minute.

Watch this tutorial on Lovette’s House of Style‘s channel

I really hope you found this helpful.

Ojuolape Asekun is a beauty enthusiast with a degree in Chemical Engineering. She is also  the founder of Beauty Geek, an online platform through which she expresses her passion for helping others become beautifully confident Website: www.beautygeekng.com

1. Ada Nnewi

February 3, 2016 at 11:03 am

This works like magic for my hair extensions. I always use profective deep conditioner (it’s like jazz) and the steam fish setting on the microwave. ….please never mix in egg with any conditioner to use on any hair going into the microwave. It will mess up your hair…. I also dye my extensions myself and this microwave treatment works wonders for dyed and bleached hair

2. Chic

February 3, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thank you for this..

3. kele

February 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Please Ada anyi, teach me how to dye my extensions.

the thought of having to pay 15k everytime I dye a weave hurts my heart. Do you use box dyes or you mix different ones to get your color?

• Ada Nnewi

February 3, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I use box dyes and I play with my colours. I don’t like bleaching my hair as it’s really damages the hair. You’d need about 4 packs of hair dye for about 350 grams of hair. You can watch some you tube videos to help you along. Most of the YouTube babes use bleach for very blonde tones. You’d make a few errors when dyeing for the first time so use much older hair for your first few tries. Will try to expatriate laterwhen I’m free.

4. been there

February 3, 2016 at 1:10 pm

thank for this. i have one extension that needs this. hopefully it works

5. Alex

February 3, 2016 at 2:20 pm

A tutorials for women and their hair.

carpatsnigeria.com

6. thechic

February 3, 2016 at 2:24 pm

question for anyone who can help. with the final step,does one rinse the hair with shampoo,hot water or just normal tap water.

• Ada Nnewi

February 3, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Normal water

7. i no send

February 3, 2016 at 3:16 pm

which type of plastic bag should be used in microwave

• Ada Nnewi

February 3, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I use ziploc bags

• Ann1

February 4, 2016 at 2:20 pm

A ziploc bag.

8. Blueberry

February 3, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Wow. This method really works! I restore mine by dipping in boiling water for 3 mins. I comb and condition the hair before that and add a bit of conditioner to the boiling water too. It works like magic.

9. Ann1

February 4, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Obviously shampoo to get the oil out.

10. Sm

February 4, 2016 at 2:58 pm

If only insecure black women will take good care of their God-giving natural hair,they won’t be the joke of the world globally with stupid weave gotten from other women of other races, after they will claim black is beautiful and strong woman ( my foot). Living in UK, I can see the smirk, white and Asian women give when they see some of this black ugly hair hats who will spend so much on other people’s hair than their own. The funny part is that they think they look good.

11. j'suis belle

February 4, 2016 at 9:34 pm

the fact that a black woman wears a weave doesn’t mean she is insecured it only means she wants options and has it,by the way am black with very natural hair not so much in to artifice but i don’t look down on those who wear them either

12. tan

February 10, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Can i use Coconut oil instead of Argan oil?

13. tan

February 10, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Ps: The description in the story and the video are different. Do i take it out immediately or leave it for 10 hours???

14. petite wig

July 20, 2016 at 6:28 am

Great tip. I would love to try this one.

15. Lonnie

November 3, 2016 at 7:10 am

If your doing this with a human hair wig won’t the clips on it mess up the microwave?