Style

What’s Next for Bread Seller turned Covergirl Olajumoke Orisaguna?

BellaNaija.com

Olajumoke Ty Bello 1Her story has inspired million of people around the world! We bet you are asking what next for bread seller turned covergirl Olajumoke Orisaguna.

After her shoot with Ty Bello, Olajumoke is now very famous!

Modelling Career
Olajumoke Models 2Since she is 27 years old and a mother of 2, you may think it is too late for Olajumoke to begin a conventional modelling career. That’s not entirely true. She has been signed by Few Models. A top Lagos-based modelling agency. The company created a new division for her – Few Stars.

Billboard Campaign
Online retailer Payporte has indicated interest in featuring Olajumoke in their next billboard campaign.

Acting Career
Olajumoke Ty Bello 3While she cannot speak English, Olajumoke can read and write Yoruba. According to Ty Bello, she has a dream of becoming a Yoruba movie actress.

Hair Stylist
Olajumoke apprenticed as a hair stylist in her home town. Unfortunately, her family could not afford to pay for her “freedom”, the ceremony at the end of the apprenticeship which signifies the completion of the programme and allows her to start her own business or work elsewhere.
However, she has now been offered an opportunity to train with leading hair salon, Make Me owned by Ugo.

Family Life
Olajumoke Ty Bello 2Olajumoke is a married mother of 2. She moved to Lagos with her baby daughter because times were so hard back home in Ire, Osun State. She left her other child back home with her husband. Now, hopefully the family can be reunited soon.

In case you missed it, Ty shared the full story of what happened

OLAJUMOKE SUNDAY ORISAGUNA : A PORTRAIT WITH GRACE
Olajumoke Ty Bello 7I only recently started thinking it was important to make behind-the-scenes videos of my photography sessions. I hardly, however make time to go through the footage simply because I find it uncomfortable looking at my self on screen and for the obvious fact that I sound weird and embarrassingly loud when I shoot .

Yesterday how ever I sat with filmmaker @emaedosio as we combed through go-pro footage to see if we captured the very moment…Olajumoke, a bread hawker from the Sabo market bakery, walked entirely by coincidence unto our set of our Thisday style shoot for @tiniegram The moment didn’t look special at all. If anything she stood there a little confused… Some people asking her to leave the set and others asking her to stay. I signaled if it was ok to take her photograph and she agreed and I pressed on my shutter so she could move ahead . My main subject of interest was the Okada driver that had slowed down just before she arrived .Okada riders have that cool Lagos vibe and always happen to add a bit of swag to street portraits.

I was wrong to have paid her such little attention. Ever frame with her in it was perfect… I had found a second subject in the Tinie’s story .. A young beautiful hawker who could have served as a love interest of some sort. Digitally I made the red in her dress match @tiniegram sleeves to create a connection between them.

When the magazine came out last week and the images hit social media, I was proven right this girl split the limelight with the main subject effortlessly…questions and comments started to fly : Was she a model? How did we convince the model to balance all that bread on her head  The buzz about her multiplied when I clarified that she indeed wasn’t a model at all but simply stumbled on our set. I immediately begone my search for her. If so many felt she was beautiful enough to be a model.. Then maybe she was mean to be one.

I was going to find a way to make it happen.

I had assistants leave word with people in the area we shot her and to my delight the very next day, she showed up at my studio ‘ Aso kan na ni mo wo kiri Lana ‘.. Jumoke the ‘model’ the Internet had been searching for speaks almost no English. She explained how she had worn the exact outfit in our photograph the day before and someone showed her her own photograph on his phone from Facebook. A mallam led her to my studio that morning.

She narrated her journey to Lagos …A hair stylist from Ire in Osun state but not making enough profit between she and her husband, a sliding door installer in from same village, to care for their two young children.

At the invitation of a distant relative who knew someone operating a bakery, she relocated Lagos with her 14 month old daughter to give bread hawking a try, leaving her husband and older 5 year old behind.

As I listened to her I wandered if the beauty I had seen on my screen as I edited my image was a fluke ..well until she smiled, I realized that I was wrong, I had in fact ,underestimated the beauty of this 27 year old woman. As always , it was her eyes and of course her perfectly chiseled features that jumped out at you when she chuckled. This lady belonged in front of my camera. After a conversation with her husband telling him the story of our meeting I decided I was going to photograph her that very afternoon..Within an hour,Bimpe Onakoya, one of Nigeria’s leading makeup artist and Zubby one of my favourite hairstylist were at my studio to work magic. They had both followed the story online and were more than happy to put in their very best for her.

Olajumoke, with curly extensions out, revealed a short natural Afro that beautifully hugged her face. Bimpe Onakoya also had decided to keep the make up minimal… She stepped in front of my camera and I almost couldn’t recognize her. She moved different too. Jumoke looked straight into my lens emoting like she had done this all her life …. I knew we had found a star.

During the course of the day, @emaedosio who was making a short documentary about the process had asked her what she really wanted to do .
‘Ka ma kiri Buredi ko suwon ‘ she explained that bread hawking wasn’t the most profitable business but put enough food on her table . It also put a roof over a head .. Howbeit a roof she shared with scores of other hawkers .

She was a trained hairdresser back in Osun state but her family could not afford the necessarily ‘freedom ‘ ceremony ; a passing out ritual that gives a trainee a sometimes unwritten permission to start a full fledged salon .
We all decided that the make over would be incomplete if it ended at the studio . Every one started to reach out to their contacts and through Bimpe we were able to get her a meeting with Ugo the pioneer of Make-me salon .

As a result of the buzz she generated from the Thisday cover Our model is now close to starting an internship at @makemesalon and has been offered a additional internship with @sarisignature a famous Lebanese owned salon on the island island .

To pay Jumoke her model fee from her first job in front of the camera we called @_ujumarshall one of Nigeria’s And matched her fees .She’s been offered a modelling contract with the help of @godsonukaegbu from a @fewmodels .She’s also had @payporte reach out to her to be model on their next billboard campaign .
This is clearly only the beginning of another chapter in Jumoke’s story . Though it seems accidental it s clearly Devine .
Just this morning ,mentor of mine offered to foot the bill for her accommodation ,education as well as her child’s .. This finally makes it possible to be finally reunited with her husband and older child .

I’ve asked my self over and again why all of this is happening . One thing is clear .. This woman here is no charity case .. We met her in the middle of her hustle … The woman works hard.. Seven days a week .. With a family to support .. But with dignity ..who pays that much attention to how she looks as she’s about to hawk bread … Arranging the bread so delicately like it was work much more .. Making sure she left the bakery while it was steamy and hot … Every body likes their bread hot . .. All of this even when it’s clear that her profit in a day is between N300-500 .

This is the story of so many Nigerians .. The young house selling gala in traffic… The woman braiding hair under the bridge .. Nigerians work hard and we go it with style …

This has taught us and I hope everyone reading to pay a little attention ., to those clearly working hard around us .. You may have your own wahala to deal with .. But nothing gives you a bigger break from your troubles than just making life easier for someone else .. Give an orange seller a N1000 note and she may be able to take the next day off to attend to herself and her children .
Jumoke is sorted … I personally believe so with all the doors opening up for her but This story is more about the ‘jumokes’around you . Who put in all the work but just need a little push .You may not be able to help every one but as I learnt from someone I really respect … In your own unique way …. Do for the ONE what you would have liked to do for ALL.

Jumoke ooo.. Wants to be a hairstylists but secretly nurses a fantasy to act in a Yoruba film one day .. I know she’ll be a nollywood hit .. She did great in front of my camera and understood how to work the tiniest emotional nuances .She may not speak much English but can read and write in Yoruba…@kunleafo can you hear!!! So here she is our #olajumoke she can now be contacted and booked with @fewmodels . She’s an amazing model . Wishing her all the best #makeupby @bimpeonakoya #zubbydefinition by @zubbydefinition #beautiful #lifemakeover #devine

1. Yolanda

February 9, 2016 at 9:12 am

God’s time is always the best. Wish you the very best of luck in your career my dear!!!

2. smallie

February 9, 2016 at 9:20 am

My God….am in awe,God please just like you remembered olajumoke today,Pls remember me today…..TY Bello,i respect you,i thank you for putting a huge smile on our faces and above all on olajumoke.

3. Zee

February 9, 2016 at 9:23 am

Oh! She is so beautiful. God bless you TY!!

4. omotomiwa

February 9, 2016 at 9:25 am

That’s God’s grace. She was in the right place at the right time. That’s why it’s good to do things right. What if Olajumoke decided not to sell bread because of the gain was change and. Decided to sleep around with men or do something really silly. Would she have met this blessing with a long life span? No. God please do not forget me, elevate me to a greater height and let my glory shine. Let my destiny helper locate me IN JESUS NAME, AMEN.

• May

February 9, 2016 at 9:34 am

You are so right. When GOD’s divine grace and favor steps in…. Amen to your prayers and I pray for my own destiny helper to locate me too with speed….

5. cube

February 9, 2016 at 9:26 am

This is a great rags to riches story..Another testament to the change that God can bring into a person’s life at moments notice..i can already see the Nollywood movie THE BREAD SELLER starring …………(INSERT NAME HERE )..lol

6. Mondela

February 9, 2016 at 9:28 am

What about her husband?any plans to better his own life too…i wonder how he will cope wit her fame.

• Dr. N

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 am

No, we dont need to help her husband. She has brought him favour. It is for him to key into it as well

• JayMeetsJenny

February 10, 2016 at 4:52 pm

He who finds a good wife, obtains favour from the Lord, lets just hope Jumoke is a good wife

7. DIddy

February 9, 2016 at 9:28 am

Wh next for olajumoke orisaguna is to be in charge of her own world

8. Obedience

February 9, 2016 at 9:29 am

So Inspiring… this is just the beginning for Olajumoke… God bless you TY. My prayer is to also be a blessing to other people this year and beyond…. Amen

9. D

February 9, 2016 at 9:37 am

“This story is more about the ‘Jumokes’ around you . Who put in all the work but just need a little push .You may not be able to help every one but as I learnt from someone I really respect … In your own unique way …. Do for the ONE what you would have liked to do for ALL.” I love these words of TY’s… so true!! If each one reaches one in some little way, how great the impact will be! Thanks for the inspiration, TY. Thanks for reaching out to Jumoke, and thanks to everyone else who is now supporting her journey.

• Busola Adedire

Oluwabusola Adedire

February 9, 2016 at 12:25 pm

There is no greater joy in life than losing sight of yourself to help another.

10. Olamilekan

February 9, 2016 at 9:41 am

Wow! Such an inspiring life experience. I wish Jumoke all the best and hope many people will learn and get encouraged to be at best at what they do. Thanks to TY Bello for the life changing reality story. God bless you Nigeria

11. luvnaija

February 9, 2016 at 9:42 am

I had goose bumps and tears in my eyes reading her story! Really it doesn’t matter what life difficulties one is passing through so long as you work hard at sailing against the tide one day fortune will smile at you as it has done for Jumoke! And I have a feeling bigger things await her as she might be strutting the runways on a global platform!
    This is divine acceleration! Quantum leap orchestrated by heaven!

12. Adaeze Writes

February 9, 2016 at 9:43 am

While many people would have regarded her as a mere piece to the puzzle, you singled her out for greatness and God will reward you TY. It is not everyday that people get elevated and since God has used you to make this lady’s living worthwhile, you too will never be left out of God’s divine plan.
    This story brought tears to my eyes and this is what I call ‘favour’
    Thank you so much TY, Bimpe, Zubby, Ugo and a lot others who helped make this happen. God bless you guys.

For thrilling stories, visit adaezewrites.com

13. tito

February 9, 2016 at 9:45 am

thank you TY Bello for being so humane and going all out for this lady. May we all recognize our #olajumoke and be able to help with resources within our capacity.

14. LeryQuess

February 9, 2016 at 9:47 am

I’m so speechless rn… When God says this is your time, not even the devil can stop you from doing what God has planned for you. So inspiring!

15. Reekaddict till infinity

February 9, 2016 at 9:54 am

A miracle from God is always difficult to explain bcos is divine and this can only be GOD at work in olajumoke’s life.

16. TooKnow

February 9, 2016 at 9:57 am

Now i am worried for her, don’t get me wrong fortune smiled on her and now life is golden. but for those of us that understand the industry well, would she be able to cope with the challenges? she’s got a husband, already they no longer are on same page- whats the plan for him?… anyways God bless TY Bello and the many faceless Nigerians reaching out to helping others.

• Nahum

February 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm

It’s not just the “industry” that has challenges, all of life is a challenge and as adults, we are supposed to face them head on. Her husband is an adult and will make his own destiny. Ty is under no obligation to help him. That is a “lazy man” point of view. He should stand up like a man and help himself.

17. solape

February 9, 2016 at 10:13 am

Ty bello,i respect you ma. God bless you for allowing God to use you to change a stranger’s story.i pray am able to bless other people too in jesus name. Amen

18. Moyo

February 9, 2016 at 10:15 am

i am happy for Jumoke, but I don’t understand why the photoshoot was done, with just a drape around her and her child. The photograph is beautiful. What was TY Bello trying to create and please this is just an innocent question.

19. Niyoola

February 9, 2016 at 10:42 am

This is so inspiring.
    We should all learn to help those around us;
    Give your cleaner foodstuff
    Give the butcher/pepper seller 200 naira extra after ‘pricing down’
    So many people around us need help; givers never lack!

20. Tee

February 9, 2016 at 10:43 am

Chineeke!!!

21. Niyoola

February 9, 2016 at 10:45 am

Those mallams u see sellin water in your area, give them food especially during festive seasons when you have cooked lots of food; they are far away from home……….. a home cooked meal wil be well appreciated

22. DLP

February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

I am extremely happy for this lady, am so so so happy for her. God help me to be a blessing to someone else.

23. Noms

February 9, 2016 at 10:56 am

This can only be God.
    God bless you ,Ty Bello and your team who made this possible.
    I am so waiting for my ”Olajumoke moments”.

24. Nike

February 9, 2016 at 10:57 am

I JUST COULD NOT CONTROL MY TEARS! This is God at work. When it gets to one’s time, the Universe will attracts everything to work for you. Then, I believe it is not too late for God to turn one’s story around effortlessly.

25. LECTURER

February 9, 2016 at 11:00 am

I’m happy for Olajumokr but we have to consider the husband so that this fame will not lead to breakup and the children will be the ones to suffer. Men will start chasing her and she will start staying away from her family for days or weeks. I suggest they include her husband in her team so they can always be together. Don’t forget she’s just 27 and beautiful…..lecturer signs out

• Niyoola

February 9, 2016 at 11:49 am

LMAO!!!
      Please what are you talking about.
      So they should look for a job for the husband also.
      The husband will get to know his wife’s true character when she has money. She who stuck by him and came all the way to Lagos to hustle his old enough to know what to do with her success.
      If she doesn’t want her husband again‎, no problem …. she’s an adult.
      If husband is intimidated by her success and ‎won’t let her be great, no problem…… she’s an adult
      If both of them take it in stride and ‎their family is better for it, no problem.

When you get a better job/business than your husband, tell your employers/clients to please help you get a job for your husband also…… because you may have to reject the offer if your husband isn’t on the same page with you.

Ptscheeeeew‎

• Nahum

February 9, 2016 at 12:05 pm

What kind of stupid statement is this???? Was she not staying away from her family when she came to Lagos?? Was it not the same men you are worried about that were propositioning her day and night while she was selling bread with no husband around her??? What kind of lazy men do we have?? Why must they help him?

26. bruno

February 9, 2016 at 11:02 am

I hope modelling is what she wants not something u people are pushing on her.

madame ty bello and friends. I hope u people know what u are getting this lady into.

• I no send

February 9, 2016 at 11:32 am

@bruno though I often disagree with u but on this one I agree..I watched a docu bout a lady who got fame in this way and it ended tragically for that lady because the husband became jealous at all the male attention and developed inferiority complex because he felt left out and no longer good enough.

27. Fume

February 9, 2016 at 11:04 am

Thank you Lord for this woman….. she was in the middle of her hustle when the breakthrough came just like David was in the middle of his hustle when he was brought to the palace

28. Smiling G

February 9, 2016 at 11:13 am

As I read through that story, tears of joy that i cant hold filled my eyes. Indeed I can see God in action. smile on….

29. Molara

February 9, 2016 at 11:18 am

Bless you TY olajumoke God will give you wisdom he will be your strength this is one of the most inspiring stories i have read in a while. Lord help me to be a blessing to someone.

30. mg

February 9, 2016 at 11:42 am

such a touching piece, got a few drops off my eyes. May God bless Her hustle and Ours too

31. Niyoola

February 9, 2016 at 12:01 pm

I don’t even get all this talk about TY knowing what they re getting Jumoke into.

So, she should remain poor because her husband may have complex? She should continue selling bread abi?

Would we be saying all this if it was the husband that as ‘spotted/upgraded?’‎

Is not thes‎e same men that will probably take a 2nd wife when they hit it big‎?

Y’all should take several seats abeg.
    If you have had to work hard and earn only 10k after a  whole month’s toil, you won’t be yarning dust about carrying the husband along. ‎
    When they call you for your own upliftment, tell them you are coming, you are trying to take into consideration your spouse’s feelings.‎

• Dr. N

February 9, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Somebody that wants to act yoruba feem?
      See her swag. She was modelling each morn she stepped out wt d bread jor

32. Ashley B

February 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Lady T Y Bello……. God will use you or another man/woman to make you too even bigger. your such a darling!! This is awfully touching n definitely deserves commendation. you are indeed the STAR of this story. And for Olajumoke, Congrats!! your work ethic n passion 4 wat u do is truly inspiring and i guarantee you ur story will resonate in the minds of a lot of people from all across d globe. Stay winning!!

Again T Y Bello, may ur days on this earth be multiplied. You are truly Incredible and not to forget the others in the team that made story all so memorable. #SALUTE

33. Ama

February 9, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Anyone who has followed TY Bello will understand that she has immense love to give. She did something similar with a relatively unknown Mama Ekundayo.

34. poshjosh

February 9, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I love happy endings!

with News Minute app you can get breaking news from your favorite sources like bella as it happens!

I have customized the app to receive only headlines, sports and entertainment news from over 23 different websites, blogs and feeds.

Download the app here:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.looseboxes.idisc.newsminutefree

Sent from News Minute android app

35. prince

February 9, 2016 at 1:03 pm

This could only be God. Father, I thank you for making me know you. Olajumoke, the journey has just begun. God is taking you places

36. fabulicious

February 9, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Deep down we still have a long way to go..Who has ever asked a man who suddenly hit it big or who got favoured in a miraculous way how his wife will cope about his current status?Everybody will expect her to smile and be happy and if she doesn’t,she is either ungrateful or insecure. As for Olajumoke’s husband,he should also learn to smile and be happy.His wife has brought them favour.

37. kelvin

February 9, 2016 at 3:02 pm

wow… its no more ‘dream big, hustle hard’ but ‘hustle hard, dream big… Jehovah bless ma hustle

38. Frances Okoro

February 9, 2016 at 3:02 pm

*Speechless…
    Wow!

39. kazy-clean

February 9, 2016 at 3:20 pm

The story is pathetic , is not by certificate but by God’s mercy. I wish her good luck and her husband. @TY BELLO u ve been an amazing life changer from the inception , i respect u for that.

40. kazy-clean

February 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm

When God’s mercy speaks for you , a new life emerges , The story is torching. Thanks to @TY Bello and @Bella naija.

41. Hian

February 9, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Nigerian women, it is alright to think big. Or is making it big only for men? Everything you do or want to achieve is restricted by a man’s feelings? Don’t marry a man who will not celebrate you climbing the ladder. That man does not realize that as you climb, he climbs as well. Jumokes husband will be fine.

42. weather

February 11, 2016 at 8:04 am

This is quite inspiring! May God position us rightly. The morale …as Chaz B would say, if one can reach one, one can teach one… pls complete.

43. mimimi

February 12, 2016 at 2:40 pm

TY Bello aka Fairy God mother aka Angel sent from above. No words,

44. tobi dada

February 16, 2016 at 7:17 am

I will only say, this is a perfect act of proffesionalism and a gift. If it wasnt for the fact that you make use of the gift and professionalism,u have, you w

45. olugbenga

February 17, 2016 at 10:07 am

O Yes there is no favour without labour

46. ike chukwuebuka japhet

February 18, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Tears frm my eyes,smile frm my face and happiness all over me….olajumoke she goes by her name,working into her favour with her handwork,she is highly bless”’SURU-LERE.

47. Bernard Ediagbonya

February 19, 2016 at 7:55 pm

You are absolutely right on this. There is “an Olajumoke” everywhere. TY Bello has done her path in helping this fortunate bread seller realize her dream and to fulfil her destiny. We all, including you ‘the writer’ must copy TY Bello’s example to help someone within our reach to get better.
    When God is blessing you, He is not just blessing you because of you alone, He is blessing you so that a generation might be able to come behind you. When you look carefully, sometimes you will see that, that man and woman sitting on the same row/line with you in church has not been able to pay his/her child’s school fees, while our own children are in that expensive private schools.
    We all can render just a little help.

48. Gracious

February 20, 2016 at 9:06 am

WOW!!so touching story.my eye lined with tears of joy for her.
    LESSON TO LEARN FROM THIS IS:Do things right always.

49. abiola j360ent

February 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

olajumoke the bread seller story looks so unreal, but I guess that’s how God wants it. God can change body story at any time.