Scoop

Lupita Nyong’o In Negotiations To Join Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ Movie

Actress Lupita Nyong'o attends the 2016 Tony Awards Meet The Nominees Press Reception on May 4, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Jenny Anderson/Getty Images for Tony Awards Productions)

Actress Lupita Nyong’o attends the 2016 Tony Awards Meet The Nominees Press Reception on May 4, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Jenny Anderson/Getty Images for Tony Awards Productions)

Lupita Nyong’o‘s career is definitely showing no signs of a post-Oscar slump! Since she won Best Supporting Actress for her role in ’12 Years A Slave’, she has had a savvy selection of roles and a growing list of endorsement deals.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the actress is now in talks to co-star with Chadwick Boseman in Marvel Comic’s Black Panther – which arrives in 2018. Boseman’s take on the ‘Black Panther’ was briefly introduced in the latest ‘Captain America: Civil War’ film.

Details on Nyong’o’s character have not yet been revealed, but it is believed she will appear as Panther’s love interest.

Black Panther is set for release on February 2nd 2018, with production set to start in early 2017.

N’yongo last appeared as the alien Maz Kanata in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ and she lent her voice for the wolf Raksha in ‘The Jungle Book’. She is also attached to star in DreamWorks’ sci-fi drama ‘Intelligent Life’, and has been nominated for a Tony Award for her work in ‘Eclipsed’.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Jenny Anderson

1. Joke

May 13, 2016 at 6:22 am

She’s the “Obama” of Hollywood, the one lone black star the Hollywood machinery uses to make everyone believe they can achieve such success when that’s not the reality at all…

• mimi

May 13, 2016 at 8:08 pm

@ joke i feel sorry for you, you only achieve how far your dreams reach so if for you it’s nollywood,bank, business etc that is how far you can go..but if you set your heart on higher heights you can go far. so far that people in your village will be shocked. God first always.

2. xplorenollywood.com

May 13, 2016 at 7:31 am

Immediately I spotted the panther at the end, of capt america, I know we were going to see more of him! The dude was amazing though, need to know more about him. Joining the marvel universe is the way to go, the money they are racking from sales good so way to go girl!

3. Ada Ada

May 13, 2016 at 9:06 am

I’m happy for all her success, but I sincerely don’t think she is a great actress. But alas it is not to him that willeth, nor to him that runs,not to the strong or the wise but the lord that showeth mercy. She is just favored.

4. ramatah

May 13, 2016 at 10:55 am

OMG, was i d only one drooling over chad as black panther!!! like i was literally giddy and drooling and getting hot all over in d cinema, d friend i went with was just laughing, dude was like he’s aii, dont c what d fuss is.. but dayyyyummm!!! i want som mo panther action!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I thought Chad B was some sort of delish too… that is until he opened his mouth and started speaking in that indescribable “African” accent. My goodness, it was absolutely distracting and every time he said something, I was torn between annoyance and confusion. Which miscreant in Hollywood keeps giving these actors elocution lessons in sounding African? They need to stop eeeeet. STOP messing us about, for the love of all things good!

Although, I’ll admit to having a particular giddy moment that was nothing to do with Chad and everything to do with Captain America. You see that one scene where he’s trying to stop the helicopter from taking off and he grabs it with one hand and grabs the edge of the building he’s teetering off of, with the other? Did you see those MUSCLES in sharp relief???? Oh Dear Lord be merciful to Your daughter – even my heart is fluttering this very moment as I recall that heady representation of SCULPTED MANLY GOODNESS. *dabs forehead and fans face*

Have mercy Lord. I’ll stop treating him like an object… but, THAT was a MARVELLOUS sight for Your daughter to behold. 🙂

5. Tunmi

May 13, 2016 at 1:07 pm

That accent is the only thing stopping me from watching the movie. If Lupita will be in the next one, I’ll tolerate his accent for hers.

6. Marvel Major Fan

May 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I understand how Hollywood’s take on African accents can be cringe worthy(Cue Will Smith’s Nigerian accent). However, the black panther is from a fictional African country(Wakanda) that allows the actors room to fake any “African” accent. The accent he chose is closest to the typical southern African accent Hollywood reverts to, but it’s excusable since Wakanda is also a figment of their imagination.

The Black Panther movie had been announced for a while now, at least I knew about it since 2015. Marvel announced the list of movies they’ll be releasing up until 2020. It was real treat seeing him first in Civil war though. I hope Lupita gets it. Can’t wait for 2018 (Black Panther and Infinity Wars) <3

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I realize Wakanda’s fictional as once upon a life, I’ve spent delightful times exploring the vast Marvel universe in print form but even in spite of that, Andy Serkis did a great job with his African accent in “Age of Ultron” (although Andy Serkis is such a committed actor, he stays consistently brilliant in bringing his roles to life).

Chad would sometimes slip into his underlying North American accent and it added to my confusion. Wakanda might be imaginary but they had a fake map all made up so that it was pointedly placed in the middle of the African continent. In my own personal opinion, it’d have been nice to hear Chad sound somewhat close to at least one of the available African accents (heck, I for even belle full with the “everly” present SA one but e no even reach that side).

Just something that threw me off from fully appreciating his role as Black Panther…

• Marvel Major Fan

May 13, 2016 at 10:35 pm

lmao I get what you’re saying. But my point is because it’s fictional they are not obligated to one accent. Different African nations have different accents. What’s to stop Wakanda(assuming it was real) from having a unique one? He however must remain consistent. Also Andy Serkis was not supposed to have an African accent, his character in age of ultron is Klaw. Klaw is of German decent.

7. djsmif

May 13, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Acting is an art you go improving. Viola davis and Merly streep didn’t become a brilliant actors overnight, They work hard and that is what Lupita is doing ,by the time she is 50…Mehnn she will be so far ahead and created opportunities for other african actors. queen of of katwe and Americanah will produce new african actors to hollywood, see how she has made her eclipsed black sistas shine!!!!!

• djsmif

May 13, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I was replying to ada ada

8. smitten

May 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm

so when does casting for americanah begin.i have read the book,my dreams are valid.

9. keepingupwithblacchyna

May 13, 2016 at 8:55 pm

i hope they cast ,danai gurira too,she has a hot athletic body,

10. Mahka

March 5, 2018 at 7:28 pm

You predicted the future??