Career

Joy Eneghalu: 5 Struggles Female Entrepreneurs Can Relate To

dreamstime_s_46186482Being a female entrepreneur is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Since 2011, it has helped my social, spiritual, moral, academic and business life. Asides the praises that come with it when your friends see you and they all hail “boss”; and every guy sees you as an asset (It is sexy like that!), this call has its down sides. Sometimes we find ourselves so immersed at work that we forget to do some things, and some things don’t matter anymore.

To get to the top isn’t a piece of cake. To get to the top with eyes on the price entails a lot of work and networking, if possible. We all giggle about the joys of being a she-boss, but it comes with a lot of pain.

There are those moments of doubts, pains, tears…every female entrepreneur can relate to this. Let’s go ahead and discuss the down side to this journey.

Sexual Harassment
I could not help but have this top on the list. Over time, I have formed the habit of praying before heading into any office that has a male figure as a head. I remember writing a proposal to a company to sponsor one of my events and I got the naughtiest answer I have ever heard. I was going to get anything I wanted unless I “submit”. You know what I mean.

I have also been privileged to be with a lot of female entrepreneurs and this happens to be a major problem for them. So many women fall for this and the others walk away, clueless about what to do next. Dreams fade and a lot of things are compromised. It’s actually painful wearing a nice dress, having nice hair, well scented perfume, and the heels… especially if you have to board a bus. Think about the time and energy, the hope…only for you to get there and the music isn’t in your favour. “beht “ why?

Weary Self Confidence
Lots of women get tired easily because of all they have gone through. Staying motivated for them becomes an issue. In a community where you are faced with lots of challenges, thinking of how to conquer and so much more…keeping one’s self confidence can be hard. Being a woman in this part of the world is tough, especially because we are seen as weaker vessels. It takes a conscious effort to build one’s self-confidence and maintain it. The way you speak, the way you walk, the way you dress starts to mean a lot. To stand against all odds, you have to make a conscious effort.

Another thing that can disturb one’s self confidence is money. How? Either when you are asking for it or trying to make it, there are questions that just flash “Is this worth it? Can I do this? Will this succeed?” These questions pop up even when you are still wearing your ninja look. It’s becomes disturbing because you don’t want to be seen as another failure waiting to happen.

Lack of Support
Every female entrepreneur can connect with this in one way or the other. Sometimes, your family wants you to take another career path. Sometimes, they feel giving you money for your business is a waste of time. Other times, they feel you should just go and get married. Sometimes, you yearn for someone to just say “Thank you for trying” but it isn’t coming and doesn’t look like it will. This is always disheartening. I feel the support should always be there even if the business fails or not.

Asides family, do you know you can have a strong support system? You can do this by networking and making friends with people who share the same interest with you. I can’t even begin to say the awesome advantages you will get from this even in your business. If you are a female entrepreneur or an aspiring one, you will find this hangout useful. Thank me later!

Marital Issues
Is this supposed to be a pain? Lots of women have given up their dreams because of family and other marital related issues. There is not much to be said here. Let’s just let the married women say their bit. If you are a married woman going through a lot in your business because of family, you should try to reach out.

For the single ladies, sometimes maintaining a relationship can take so much effort especially when you are trying to focus on work. Sometimes, we don’t even know the real ones and we unconsciously build walls around us. These little things build up and becomes an issue before you know it.

Health Issues
Female entrepreneurs work day and night to see their dreams come true and in doing that they forget to do little things like drinking water, sleeping early, exercising, meditating etc. This turns into health issues and they struggle with it for a while.

The first time I came across the word “hormonal imbalance”, I almost fainted. I did my research and found so many other health issues that spring up from hormonal imbalance. I had it then. The troubles I passed through was a crazy experience. It taught me never to neglect myself, no matter what. You should learn from this.

“If you don’t take care of yourself now that you are alive. Who will take care of the business when you are down or gone? Taking care of your mental being and your health is simply doing yourself, your family, your business, and generations a favour”.

PS: Get my FREE guide to being a successful female entrepreneur.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Joy Eneghalu is a social media strategist and she helps business owners leverage social media to boost their brand visibility, increase their sphere of influence and make profit. She is the founder of the program - Social Media Domination that has transformed businesses. Connect with me: http://www.joyeneghalu.com IG/Twitter: @joyeneghalu Facebook: fb.com/eneollie

1. Natu

June 30, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Love this article!!! Nothing good comes easy. You haffi work work work work!!! Keep your eyes on the prize and you will eventually get there.
    #leader #boss #entrepreneur

• Joy

June 30, 2016 at 11:25 pm

You are the real MVP, Natu. Thank you for reading.

2. Natu

June 30, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Don’t pay no mind to African men and their chauvinistic behaviour. Don’t even allow it to ruffle your feathers. Just keep rising ladies!!!

• Nawah

July 1, 2016 at 10:04 am

African men again!!! even when “African men” stay on their lane. You still look for how to rope them into your issues.

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 10:40 am

We didn’t rope you into our circle o.

• Ikido

July 1, 2016 at 3:41 pm

PREACH OH PREACH!!!!!

3. Prisca

June 30, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Lovely piece

• Joy

June 30, 2016 at 11:24 pm

4. Ajala & Foodie

July 1, 2016 at 12:49 am

This does not only pertain to entrepreneurs, almost all hustling and aspiring female will experience all of this in form or another. Even in the corporate world, climbing the corporate ladder is no joke especially in our society, female bosses are still expected to defer to their male counterparts, some even male sub-ordinates still try to show themselves too. Then dealing with a support system or the home front. Being a boss lady is not child’s play whether as an entrepreneur or in the corporate world.

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 8:20 am

I totally agree with you Ajala & Foodie. Thank you for reading.

5. Desia

July 1, 2016 at 7:19 am

Nice piece Joy. i am so proud of how far you have come. you never relent and your self driven. in two words, you are a King Woman. cheers

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 10:42 am

Thank you for your kind words.

6. obaleye abisoye

July 1, 2016 at 8:12 am

Giving up is never an option….u are goin higher babe #femaleboss #bosslady #entrepreneurs #womenhelpinwomen

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thank you so much, Abisoye.

7. Chizzy

July 1, 2016 at 8:47 am

Success is a business of the mind and the determination of a dogged soul…Joy Joy Joy, you keep getting better. I love this piece,I await more!
    #Boss Lady# #Mega Entrepreneur#

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 10:40 am

Thank you so much for reading my dear.

8. stanlee

July 1, 2016 at 8:49 am

great words from a great friend.

• Joy

July 1, 2016 at 10:40 am

9. Nene kalu

July 1, 2016 at 10:54 am

There must be ups and down for one to get to the top,just don’t give up and keep asking God for strength to carry on.

10. Onyie

July 1, 2016 at 11:57 am

Hi Joy, nice article. I was just thinking about sexual harassment at the work place this morning and looking for the energy to write piece on the topic. It doesn’t just happen to entrepreneurs o. Even women working in corporate environments working hard towards that promotion are sometimes sexually harassed.

Even during daily operations – i mean why will you call me babygirl even when i have told you several times that i don’t like it and to please call me by my name?! Why keep making inappropriate sexual comments to every woman in the office biko. That is also a form of sexual harassment and it just frustrates me that there aren’t enforced labour laws against such harassment.

• Just imagine

July 1, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Ahn ahn, babygirl for what? I will simply not answer to it. Keep a straight face until he addresses you by your name. Some Nigerians can be SO inappropriate in the workplace honestly.

11. Tosin

July 1, 2016 at 2:20 pm

🙁
    Sorry. There is God.

12. Chimezie Judemary Udechukwu

July 1, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Brilliant submissions Ollie my Teacher. How African men were roped into this discussion I can’t tell but let me exploit that. People accuse me of being Chauvinist (women) and sexist (men), but the truth is, I support that which is right and just.

While I believe in equity and the fact that every woman has got a lot to offer especially when given equal opportunities (I have worked with women at the top and believe me if there is any set of people who have encouraged me to aspire more, it is the female folk), why clamour for equality when you can reach out for equity?

Truth is, it takes a man’s distaste to spew forth in successful women. So it is only women who see the big picture, who understand that criticism are a way of life, who don’t crack under the “what -does – she – think – she – knows” outbursts from men, who continue to study to show herself approved, remains resolute in achieving her goals without falling into gender battle trap; these are the women who are true heroes or (Sheroes) as a friend who want to call them.

You don’t have to be feminist to drive home your agitations. You can be a womanist and earn your respect and your fame.

That said, Ollie nice one you have here. We shall continue on the other side.

To all female entrepreneurs out there, you all are the real deal.

13. Mc jkcyno

July 1, 2016 at 11:27 pm

I have never believed any less in you Joy. You are a true definition of a seasoned and dogged female entrepreneur.
    You have flown past every trifle and swan past any criticism and enveloped them to your advantage and thus stayed afloat.
    What a nice piece dear….
    But waitooo…”what if i told you ladies that i had been harrassed too by some female folks. ?
    You are giggling aite.? But it’s true, so let’s know it’s a double edged sword here….

14. Dimma

July 2, 2016 at 7:09 am

Nice one Ollie.
    Those are stories to be told. I call it the road to success. We shall get there with our integrity and motivation intact.

Nice one dear. Proud of you.

15. BeautyByWinnie

July 2, 2016 at 7:39 am

True talk dearie… Thanks for hitting the nail on the head

16. BeautyByWinnie

July 2, 2016 at 7:43 am

True talk dearie… Thanks for hitting the nail on the head. It’s not easy but we are getting closer to the goal

17. Pingback: TAKING STOCK 07:16 - iModelAfrica