News

RMD calls out Jumia for Unauthorized Use of Photo

BellaNaija.com

Richard Mofe-Damijo (5)

RMD in an authorized campaign for T.I Nathan

Superstar Nigerian actor Richard Mofe-Damijo popularly known as RMD is challenging online giant Jumia over the unauthorized use of his photo on the brand’s Jumia Fashion Instagram page.

Here is the full update.

***

Nigeria’s popular online fashion and beauty retailer, Jumia, is currently embroiled in a case of unauthorized use of image rights of veteran actor, Richard Mofe-Damijo, (RMD) on ‘Jumia Fashion’ Instagram page without the actor’s permission. According to RMD’s publicist, this unauthorized use of the image has been ongoing and has had the effect of portraying to unsuspecting customers that Jumia enjoys the patronage of or endorsement of RMD.

RMD is a well known brand ambassador for various companies and his image has been widely and regularly used for product placement in a variety of platforms. He has always jealously guarded his image and has been meticulous about the type of products and services associated therewith. Jumia’s unilateral and unauthorized use of RMD’s image for the advancement of its products and website has undoubtedly enhanced Jumia’s brand awareness and created a buzz about Jumia’s fashion line at the expense of RMD.

RMD Jumia 1 RMD Jumia 2 RMD Jumia 3 RMD Jumia 4

RMD has since instructed his lawyer, Mena Ajakpovi of Messrs. Abraham & Co. to engage Jumia and seek redress at the law court if they are defiant. Jumia’s response has definitely been defiant and unapologetic. They admitted that they had taken the images from the actor’s page but that it was not an infringement of his copyright since the image was on a public Instagram platform. This is even though they are using the image to promote their online fashion trade on their website page! They offered to take the page down but have shown neither remorse nor offered any conciliatory compensation!

The ‘Terms of Use’ of Instagram as stated on their website clearly prohibits Jumia from taking RMD’s pictures and using same to conduct its fashion business. Their defiance has left the ace actor with no alternative but to instruct his lawyers to sue JUMIA for punitive and exemplary damages for the infringement of his image rights.

***

BNers, what are your thoughts.

Jumia has taken down the image from its page, however, here is a screenshot of their Instagram page.

Jumia Fashion

1. mary

July 25, 2016 at 8:03 pm

people can like to cross the line sometimes, even if the pictures are on his IG page, that is his page for goodness sake, you have no damn right to lift his pictures from his page and use them to promote your brand without express permission from him. and you are not even apologetic about it, Well, what i think is that RMD should sue them for unauthorized use of his images, so that next time, they learn to do things the right way.

2. Tutu

July 25, 2016 at 11:01 pm

This Jumia people sef. I have no idea what other people’s images are doing on their social media page. Shouldn’t they be trying to sell their own stuff? Out of the 6 images above, only one is about their products. Rubbish.

3. Kiiki

July 25, 2016 at 11:08 pm

And they are being defensive? By the time other Celebrities decide to sue them, they’d run out of business. Simple analogy; runs and promote your business the right way!

4. Marlvina

July 25, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Hmmm isn’t that Rihanna and some others I see on their page too? Hope they have asked for permission from these ones too.

5. HUH?

July 26, 2016 at 9:49 am

Its Instagram though! And this is clearly a fashion page! There are millions of other fashion pages that repost celebrity pictures on a regular basis…so I’m a bit confused. If you are not keen on your photos being reposted as a celebrity (which is really odd) privatize your IG and account and state in your Instagram bio that all images can be used only after permission to use such images have been granted…not hitting someone with a lawsuit for damages for using images on INSTAGRAM of all places. lol! Everyone else that has reposted RMD’s pic better take it down before he comes for you too lmaoooooo.

6. RMD fan

July 26, 2016 at 9:56 am

From what I can see here, Jumia did not say he is wearing their stuff na, its just reposting pictures as seen on his instagram page, or is it just me? This man is really like fine wine though #chai

• Prince

July 26, 2016 at 12:51 pm

You make serious sense my dear. i had to go through the pics over and over again and all i see is like fine wine, man crush monday and their likes.
      I love RMD soooooooo much, i can’t even explain how much but i dont see any wrong in what Jumia did.

7. Deedee

July 26, 2016 at 9:57 am

Kmt please it’s a fashion page. Did they use the picture to advertise their product? They put a lot of celebrities on that fashion ig page. Get over yourself please.

8. Me

July 26, 2016 at 10:17 am

I had respect for RMD, but now he k=just seems desperate. Going after Jumia because he thinks he can get money from them. Did they say he was an ambassador? or did they say he was wearing their products?. He is clearly bored and jobless.

9. SMH

July 26, 2016 at 10:25 am

Hmm ? Dude get a life. Instagram is about sharing images and reposting. Why aren’t you coming after all the other people that repost your page. If you don’t want people to see your images then make your page private Abeg ! Smh

10. Niola

July 26, 2016 at 10:50 am

Jumia always so rude, please go ahead and sue them let Nigerian and Chinese companies act professional at all times. We really need to tutor a lot of service companies in Nigeria. This is pure infringement. He certainly never gave you the permission to use his picture. I remember when I got married some random facebook wedding page put up my picture, my cousin who knows that I hate any public display of my private life esp on any social platform called me to tell me, I wrote them sharp sharp to take it down and if they didn’t comply I was ready to report them to facebook. His picture is his intellectual property and belongs to him unless he instructs otherwise.

11. oma

July 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm

So that means J,lo and RIRI should sue too….

12. Ruche

July 27, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I’m certain it’s not about using his image, it’s about using hashtags that suggest he’s endorsing the jumia fashion brand. A lot of other blogs use his pictures on their IG accounts and he’s not salty about it. Read the post again and get the facts straight before blabbing

13. ME

August 14, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Wow. But sides of the argument have put forth really valid points. I’m a bit torn about it. But if Jumia has taken down the pictures, I wouldn’t go as far as saying they owe him compensation or even a formal apology especially since they didn’t state he was their brand ambassador. What Jumia may be trying to avoid is a floodgate of such requests. I mean they’ve got loads of celebs local and international on the page. But if any of them expressly asks for it to be taken down then I guess they should do so immediately sha.

14. ME

August 14, 2016 at 1:49 pm

…both* sides of the argument…