News

“Perhaps, I overreacted…” – Toyin Aimakhu releases statement on #SaveMayowa

BellaNaija.com

Toyin Save MayowaHours after Aramide of Lifestake Foundation released a video account of her side of the story, actress Toyin Aimakhu has released a statement on the #SaveMayowa case.

***
Mayowa Ahmed’s Saga: My Story

In view of the recent happenings around Mayowa Ahmed’s ill health and the many allegations of fraud surrounding the funds raised, it has become imperative that I come clean by stating my side of the story and by implications, set the record straight.

When I got wind of Mayowa’s sickness, I was moved to tears and immediately sought to know how I could help, hence my on-the-spot video which went viral as my genuine intervention.

Indeed, I was overwhelmed by the quick response of well-meaning Nigerians to whom I will forever owe a debt of gratitude.

But all this changed yesterday, Thursday 28th, July, when I went to the hospital in the morning to check as well as follow up on Mayowa. Her brother had told everyone to leave them alone because they wanted privacy. Although I was shocked at the sudden change in attitude, especially the tone of communication, I still did not suspect anything was amiss.

However, on my way out, I received a call from one Aramide Kasumu of Life Stake Foundation, who would later claim the whole Mayowa Ahmed fund raiser was a scam. Importantly, she wanted to know the extent of my involvement and in her words, “so that when they are giving their reports, I would not be roped into it”. She went further to state that the family deceived everyone in the first place by raising funds for Mayowa despite the fact that her case was helpless and the hopes of her survival was near impossible. She seemed to know so much, I reckoned.

Upon hearing this, I was appalled and in a bid to clear my name, I went back to the hospital in palpable anger and demanded explanations from all concerned. Perhaps, I overreacted when I went into a rage of anger over the matter with the CSO. I then alerted the Police PRO, who invited the parties involved to the police command.

I want to state for the record that I have never been a fraud and will never partake in one, not even at this stage of my career (which I hold to heart). All my efforts were strictly on humanitarian grounds without recourse to any pecuniary consideration or the resort to cheap fame.
That said, whatever discomfort my reactions may have cost anyone from any quarters is highly regretted and I take responsibility.

Whilst I wish Mayowa a quick recovery and divine intervention, I want to urge us as a people to continue to exhibit that enviable Nigerian spirit of compassion and generosity and not because of this isolated case cease to be our sister/brother’s keeper. I love you all and thank you.

***

Despite all this controversy, we are hopeful about Mayowa’s healing.

1. Marlvina

July 30, 2016 at 1:00 am

Okay! Can we just fly the girl out already to receive the much needed medical care for her condition? All this drama, scandal, media palava, police sef (before Army go join) aint helping the situation abeg!!

• What Next

July 30, 2016 at 6:05 am

Mayowa needs any attempt to be saved. People need to question why a girl like Aramide B. Kasumu is allowed to run an NGO and how she is an authority on bad vs good. What exactly is her background and what qualifies her to be a judge? This is the same girl that runs Shoes In Bulk right? Aramide isn’t exactly a clean living princess is she. We’ve seen her out late at night inebriated, snogging other people’s husbands in public to raise funds to have a party. No wonder she was pissed seeing how much went to Mayowa. The hypocrisy!

• ......

July 30, 2016 at 7:39 am

You are blessed for this comment..the truth is TOyin and aramide wanted a TY Bello moment. And this was their best way to get it.. If not they would have asked for a concrete timeline for mayowa treatment when they knew the 100k target was getting close to being reached(I.e does she have a visa,, how long can she get an American visa) . I think in the case of Linda it was impulse reporting .. She just heared gist and posted .. Like who really reports ” mayowa and have family have defrauding Nigerians of their money… Cold.. Now they are saying I probably overreacted.. This ain’t no Yoruba movie this are people’s lives..
      Some1 as arrogant and dull as aramide should be no where near an NGO.

• ......

July 30, 2016 at 7:52 am

And FYI Linda ikeji has taking down the original scam post…u can check for yourselves.. There goes the public apology after all.. It’s obvious them Toyin overreacted and later confirmed their own ignorance making Linda feel stupid.. Lesson learnt. Let’s move on and pray for mayowa.

• Damilola

July 30, 2016 at 9:31 am

I hope the next report on this case is, this lady has been granted visa or she’s in Emory hospital. I have my opinion on this matter but I’m tired of the drama, enough already. I just hope the police involved won’t turn into another drama. Jesus, have mercy on Mayowa and her family. Take control of the whole situation. Let YOUR name be glorified at the end of the day.

• fleur

July 30, 2016 at 1:52 pm

When i first saw the fund raiser i wanted to comment that this case was a difficult one to fund because the case sounded terminal and ovarian cancer is unforgiving. However, i believe in God intervening even in the most impossible circumstances. So i withheld my comment because she needed to have her chance. That her family demonstrated resilience to do a fund raiser despite her state does not make them fraudulent. They are hopeful and should not be chastised for that. Nobody knows her fate, really. So if they have decided to fight to the end and people have donated to support that fight, it’s okay. It is not fraud. Have compassion Internet Nigerians.

• John

July 31, 2016 at 9:52 am

I smell greed from the family members, especially the brother. People like toyin came in to help and I believe they should be carried on through the entire process, not turn your back on her now that money is involved. Please put yourself in her shoes. Now you want people to leave you alone, after u made the matter public.
      I read the pro of LUTH give his own report, hence my conclusion on them.

• ruth

August 1, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I really loved when what you said as regards her family bringing up a fund raiser even with, how the Doctors have given up on her. I really support that, but the thing here is that they should have told Nigerians that she did not have a visa and other vital information like choosin other countries like UAE, Australlia and the rest. From the onset, they did not mention that travelling to Atlanta would be stressful for her.

• Cindy

July 30, 2016 at 3:21 pm

It is now that I know that BNers are not as intelligent as they seem to sound. Because if you guys are as emotionally intelligent as you claim, you would know not to try and demonize Toyin. I watched the video of how she was humiliated in the hospital and felt really bad for her. They even had the nerve to post it on social media, haba! Y’all should try and look at it from Toyin’s point of view before calling her all sorts of names. She went to the hospital a day after the money had been raised and suddenly she was denied access. Then she got a call telling her it was a fraud. The person she tried to talk to was then acting funny. Why didn’t the family just explain? It’s that simple. The poor lady’s name was on the line and she probably felt she didn’t have any other option than to report to the police. What is so wrong with that? The only wrong she did here was that she wasn’t patient enough to verify from a reliable source. That doesn’t make her a bad person. At the end of the day, she had the best intentions at heart and that is what matters. I have the feeling that even Mayowa isn’t totally in support of how her family handled this but is too weak to defend Toyin. It’s really not fair the way you BNers just keep attacking her person. Y’all never liked her in the first place and you just found an opportunity to pour out your hate on her. I’m sad at the kind of unprintable names she’s being called here. I hope Mayowa really gets well. I really pray she does. I just feel bad her account has been frozen. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional on the part of Toyin. Let everyone just calm down.

• Naijatalk

July 30, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I agree. I feel bad for Toyin. She seems like a nice person and now unrelated issues from her personal life are being used to judge her intentions on this matter. Very unfair. If celebrities are hesitant going forward to help any other person other than their own, it shouldn’t come as a surprise and they should not be judged then.

• Kiiki

July 30, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Finally someone makes sense here. I totally agree with you @Cindy. Enough of making Toyin look like the Villain. A good majority of us would have acted the same way if we were in her shoes. I hope Mayowa gets better.

• Tobi

July 30, 2016 at 11:24 pm

You just made a whole lot of sense. We all got to know about the campaign because Toyin got involved. Its sad that the family would turn around and try to humiliate Toyin. More lessons for Toyin. More Lessons for us all,

• Ayodeji

August 3, 2016 at 7:55 am

Fly out? You are one of people who did not appreciate what we have in Nigeria. I am not living in Nigeria but I am so sure everything can be done in Nigeria

2. Mymind

July 30, 2016 at 1:12 am

Am I the only one thinking that this family may lose this money as a result of the so called police investigation? We all know naija and “awa 1dafu” police force.

• Enn

July 30, 2016 at 4:18 pm

It’s bad enough that going to naija hospitals is as good as getting a death sentence but invovling naija police..hmmm that’s like fry pan to fire..honestly left to these two instituitions and shameless so called fundraising NGO(yes aramide I mean you) it’s only GOD that will save her life.

• monalisa

August 2, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Please enough of all the drama, let’s help Mayowa. She was my class mate in secondary school. So painfull seeing her like this

3. Mama

July 30, 2016 at 1:13 am

Perhaps? Dear Toyin, i don’t know you but you seem to have the emotional intelligence of a toddler. You did a good thing but you really need to learn to be less controversial. Once something is put out there, it is hard to retrieve; as they say, you can’t unring a bell. This entire family’s reputation has been tinted with the word SCAM because you’ll just could’n control yourself and handle things rationally. Of course there also had to be ‘live streaming’of the whole saga because why not! Know better and do better!

• Manny

July 30, 2016 at 1:26 am

She really does have the emotional intelligence of a toddler. Everything she’s involved in turns into a big mess.

• A.M

August 2, 2016 at 2:47 am

Too harsh…Are you perfect in everything you do?”when you are hurt/dissapointed or angered by the faults of another human, turn to yourself and find your own failings”

4. Mimi

July 30, 2016 at 1:26 am

“Perhaps I overreacted” indeed. I can’t stand this Toyin thing. One moment your’re helping out, the next moment your’re crying wolf. Do you know how all this drama can affect Mayowa’s already frail health? It’s time for you, Aunty wa Toyin, to back off and let God do His job. Not through you certainly cos you are so so fake.

• mie

July 30, 2016 at 2:01 am

haba “thing” ke? Lol.
      But wait o, so Aramide called Toyin. Where did Aramide get her own gist from?? Oya now, you people should start confessing. And it’s true o, Toyin didn’t come to social media to post anything, it was Aramide (and LIB) posting videos. She granted the YNaija interview sha, which was very incoherent; it was so obvious from that voice note that there was no evidence (at that time) of any fraudulent activity.
      P.S: Her PR person/whoever put this piece together for her is excellent! 🙂

• Hadiza

July 30, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Toyin just wanted to received the glory and also want to pull a TY bello , for what she did and that’s where she failed … She even came with arm police men n got someone to video what was happening , She is just not intellenglent … I was also shocked pple like Debola lagos , chef ferg , Omoli etc Were also posting its a scam … Really , just thought you guys are intelligent , disappointed , Watching all d Videio is like watching her Yoruba movies that I don’t watch by d way … Because you made it public and created awareness you wanted to b share holder n demand for special treatment … Just when I was trying to think u r intellenglent … You blew it up … Linda case is story for another day , that the whole social media world will watch n wonder … As I will always say (Linda , Toyin and the rest ) if you think what you did was right let the same thing happen to you and your family … Can you just do your part give n contribute and leave it to God to reward you , and your reward can come in pleases you wouldn’t expect , may even b in the lives of your kids

• I said so

July 31, 2016 at 2:23 am

I stand corrected my comment is for Mama crass advert not Mimi

5. Magda

July 30, 2016 at 1:28 am

So again, this Aramide girl’s name comes up in this story. Now Toyin is saying Aramide started the scam story and I’m not surprised by that though I don’t know the entire truth. In all of this, Aramide looks like an attention seeker and her attitude these past few days has been so disgusting. Her behavior is unexpected for a so-called philanthropist. Hope she enjoys her 5 minutes of fame smh

6. Chris Joseph

July 30, 2016 at 1:46 am

I wonder why people waste so much time on this issue….RATHER THAN POINTING FINGERS, LET’S INVEST THE SAME ENERGY AS ONE IN SAYING A PRAYER FOR MAYOWA. I BELIEVE GOD IS ABLE TO REWRITE THE DOCTOR’S REPORTS. MONEY IS NOTHING. …SAVING HER LIFE SHOULD BE OUR TOP PRIORITY! JUST PRAY YOU AND ANY OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS DON’T FALL INTO SUCH TEMTATION. MAYOWA…YOU’RE HEALED IN JESUS NAME!!!! YOUR STRENGTH IS RENEWED….. @OFFICIALCHRISAY

7. Nike

July 30, 2016 at 1:53 am

The English in this statement and the one in the audio statement do not correspond. She claims she is not a fraud, well Toyin in my books you are because you certainly did not produce this written statement. It does not match your audio account. #justsaying

• ola

July 30, 2016 at 11:06 am

There some people that are very articulate too and cant write very well……..its just like concluding already that Goodluck Jonathan cant write very well because he is not that articulate

• Hadiza

July 30, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Toyin did not write that , hope you know that , some PR person must have done that for her

• Oladipo Alabi

August 3, 2016 at 3:12 am

Some of us write better than we speak -‘am one of them

8. BB

July 30, 2016 at 1:54 am

So how did this make Linda Ikeji a bad person? She’s a blogger and she helped raise awareness for fund raising, All of a sudden, the people who brought the case to limelight told her that it’s all a scam, should Linda not inform the public. All those Linda haters now gathered and formed anti Linda convention on Bellanaija’s blog, trying to convert this our neutral blog to SDK slaughter house. Even those that didn’t donate a dime nor said a word of prayer had a lot to talk about Linda. Taking every opportunity to hate on a hardworking sister. Thank God he’s not man, he blesses who he wants to bless, doesn’t care about anyone’s opinion. May the almighty God put Mayowa back on her feet by this time next two months in Jesus name amen.

• Abi

July 30, 2016 at 8:55 am

Oh STHU. Why didn’t your so called sister blogger verify the news before jumping to post. That was very stupid on her part and in a sane environment she would be sued for every kobo she owns but na Naija una dey so anything goes. #BunchOfClowns

• whatwillbewillbe

July 30, 2016 at 9:23 am

I’m a fan of Lindas’, but in this case, what is wrong is wrong. Linda’s headline was totally wrong. She said in so many words that Mayowa and her family scammed Nigerians. The decent thing to do in addition to taking down the original post and putting up all ‘takes’ is to apologise. Just saying she’s praying for Mayowa does not cut it biko.

Now, I’m afraid I do not believe the family was completely honest. I’ll accept though that in the heat of the moment, they didn’t think things through because it’s very possible. Its also very true that if something shady was going on, Linda put a stop to it, albeit in a very crass manner.

As far as I’m concerned, things escalated to this level because the family ‘used and dumped’ Toyin and being ‘King kung’, Toyin could not take it. I’ll keep my opinion of Toyin and Aramide to myself.

In all of this, I pray for Mayowa. I also pray for her family. I can’t imagine what’s going their minds now.

• Engoz

July 30, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I’m sorry, but you are not being objective. If you were, you will advice Linda to brush up on her reporting skills. I don’t want to see a fellow woman lose all that she has worked for. Nevertheless, it has to be said and I hope she listens to her detractors because she is a potential lawsuit waiting to happen. Linda did not protect herself and her brand when she broke the story. She had better learn from this mistake.

• annoyed mac

July 30, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Linda has no blames in this scandal rather the greed of Toyin and Aramide

• Viva

July 30, 2016 at 10:56 pm

You are very ridiculous for saying Linda has no blame in this whole saga. Put urself and ur family in Mayowa’s family shoe, u will feel and understand what that means. #nonsense#

• anonymous

July 31, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Why ddnt she verify before she posted…lindas pure evil!…it took linda 2 days to put the story on her blog after mayowa cried out for help.. with couple of tags….but she was quick to put the unverified scam news on immediately

9. Nahum

July 30, 2016 at 2:08 am

This woman is a buffoon. After all the unnecessary drama she says “perhaps I over reacted”…YOU THINK????? Olodo!!! Look at what you have done!! Next time think before you speak

10. chamazing chick

July 30, 2016 at 2:45 am

I guess she had to come out to say something as well since the Aramide lady has said her own side of the story too. If not anything I have learnt not to take sides on issues involving social media. Just be unbiased and look at things realistically that is if you are interested in the convo. Lessons I learnt, it just goes without saying anything you want to get involved in please do your homework and have facts.
    Public begging for assistance may be subject to scrutiny as a lot of people seems to have learnt from this episode.
    Nigerians are wonderful people, who would have believed we donated that amount of money to a good cause in less than 3 days.
    Transparency and absolute clear line of communication cannot be over emphasized in situations like this.
    I guess we may not be able to know about mayowa’s progress.( I am optimistic that she would get treatment as soon as possible) As the family claims privacy.
    This saga will not in anyway stop me from rendering assistance to people in the little way I can.

11. Aisha

July 30, 2016 at 2:55 am

Eeeennnhhh, Toyin! Who wrote this for you? If only you could speak as coherent as “you” write.
    So, someone came to tell you something which you had not verified and then you caused a storm, involved the police and had the whole country calling the family names?
    Truly, you are a poster child of so many other people in this country who have failed to be critical and analytical thinkers.
    Everything about you is chaotic, unruly, rude and just plain silly. You owe this poor family an apology. Nonsense.

• Not Entirely True

July 30, 2016 at 9:19 am

“Everything about you is chaotic, unruly, rude and just plain silly”??? That is too harsh. Maybe somethings or most things about her but certainly not everything. At least she helped with raising some publicity and has also issued a half decent apology. Don’t throw the baby with the bath water.

12. Tgirl

July 30, 2016 at 2:59 am

Any one in toyin’s situation would over react! Especially when you put your self out there, and you did everything with one mind. I was watching a movie today it’s titles US” by the way it’s a great movie, by toyin and Kunle afod. At the beginning of the movie, toyin posted a mini video of this ill girl! Sorry don’t know her name, and pleaded to Nigerians to donate.. In two days the video had 60k views or so, which means 60k people saw the video and at least 10/20% might have donated something off that! So this is someone that genuinely cares, someone that doesn’t mind giving up her own personal schedule to be with this sick person! So are you telling me that if it was fake foreal! You guys won’t bash her and all that! The family are very very wrong go exclude her from any plans! Like she made the money possible! You guys should worship her, maybe worship is extreme, of course it is, but you get the drift! I saw a video on Instagram where they were calling her names and all that, saying she wanted money! She called Linda! And she was almost in tears. It’s sad! Because she did a lot for her family and they were ungrateful. They should never have treated her the way they did. I would be mad if I was the one too! And I would be extremely pissed if u find out that it was a scam or I have any feeling they were playing me. Because they used me to play other people. Anyways I hope the family tender an apology to her. P.s her bother granted an interview and said toyin wanted her share, i think that’s a blatant lie and toyin would never do it! Ki eyan se ore ko dii ibi!! Oga o! Toyin you too learn how to manage your emotions.
    By the way her cancer is terminal. It might sound harsh, but I think there is no point flying her . They should out her on pain relief, and enjoy the last moments with her ! If I was her I would have asked for euthanasia a long time… Just saying! I hate being pitied…

• Abikoye

July 30, 2016 at 6:25 am

@Tgirl may you never be in a situation where ‘ HOPE’ is all you cling on.Its harsh to say why fly her its terminal I am a doctor and have seen survivors of stage 4 cancer call it miracle or whatever the lord is still on the throne.The family members love her and are willing to do anything to make her survive.Have you ever lost someone so dear?and you blamed yourself for not doing anything whilst you can to make them live..Tgirl I pray this is not your portion!.
      To kind hearted Nigerians THANK YOU.let’s continue to spare a minute to remember Mayowa in our prayers

• tgirl

July 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm

thanks for your prayer. i like how you didn’t curse me or anything. i know it was harsh, but i believe in miracles, and i hope the ill girl gets divine healing from God.

• Engoz

July 30, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I don’t think everyone in Toyin’s situation will overreact. I think such overreaction is based on the person’s personality type or environment they grew up in. Toyin seems like the type that wears her heart on her sleeve. Everything comes across as extreme. She’s just extra.

• Dayo

July 30, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Euthanasia is suicide. Whoever agrees to himself being euthanized is going to hell.

• Hadiza

July 30, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I will never react like toyin pls not everyone … She is even saying perherp I over reacted , toyin you over reacted like a market woman full of drama … Ur reputation really , God gave u the fame and reputation leave it to God to sort you out … Busy demanding VIp access are you God … God is the giver of life and every God and perfect gift that comes with life

13. Wow

July 30, 2016 at 3:18 am

I’m so sorry to say this but I have to. Ode ni girl yi. Every time I try to give her the benefit the doubt; she does something more silly than the last time. Because of the ridiculous cry of “scam”, and subsequent involvement of the police, the girl’s account is frozen. Thereby jeopardizing Mayowa’s health further. Mayowa herself put up a video asking for help not her family members. May God help us to be more human and help us to render help and move on without expecting additional explanations and unnecessary obeisance.

14. Hmmm

July 30, 2016 at 5:08 am

It is well ….. I can be anybody. Its not easy to watch someone you love and care for die without wanting to try all you can … It is well

15. favoured

July 30, 2016 at 5:20 am

Toyin did what she could to help.The family could have been more straight with her on mayowa’s true health standing.Toyin should think twice before involving in issues.

• Yeyeperry

July 30, 2016 at 6:55 am

And this will be an issue. Celebrities will stop getting involved in such situations. If they don’t do we complain. If they do we complain. Aye yi sha!

16. Not Bitter Kola

July 30, 2016 at 6:00 am

Oh Toyin, as with everything else you seem to always over react. You over act sometimes sef. You ended up turning this whole thing about you and your reputation, forgetting that however you put it, a life you once called out to help for is still on the line.The trauma you put Mayowa herself thru has indeed set her back. That been said, I don’t know you personally but from watching you, you seem to be so all over the place, with yourself and also with your emotions. It’s sad that alot of people tell you you’re real, but sometimes you need to grow up, no one is saying you should not be yourself but be a better version of yourself. Investigate before jumping into things. someone commented saying you put the video in a movie you did, those are the kind of actions you take without thinking thru, if you want to put your very glorious career on the line make sure you thoroughly verify what you’re parading. The same way you jumped to helping is the same way you jumped to scream wolf. I’ve seen a couple of your colleagues urging you on and saying you have a good heart, oh yes, you do, but what you did was totally wrong and almost devoid of common use of your gumption as with alot of things you have bridled yourself with recently. Toyin, try not to make promises when you’re over excited and don’t take decisions when you’re angered. Plus you need better friends who should be able to tell you better on how to compose yourself if you don’t have those, go back and speak with your mum, cos if you’re very grounded with her I doubt you’ll be doing all these bipolar looking acts.

I wish Mayowa all the best, may God almighty grant her good health and ease the pain in her body. Nigerians that have given to this cause, may your pockets never dry and may you always find favour. Amen.

17. Priest

July 30, 2016 at 6:34 am

Toyin is immature
    Whatever she gets involved with is ruined
    Y’all need to know Aramide is not a philanthropist
    She isn’t selfless
    She expected something from all this
    When she didn’t get it
    She decided to tear it down
    Aramide had left this cause
    Only to resurface when it gained traction
    Aramide is a petty girl
    Same one who insulted her friend two yrs after marriage cos the friend wasn’t pregnant.
    Aramide is just in it for money, this was supposed to be a big pay day, 5% of #30N do the maths, now they blocked that chance, of course she’d want to ruin it.
    Toyin received a call, did not verify, started acting like the tout she is, that one is a minus pls.
    Linda received info, did nor verify, rushed to post, that one is a lazy and clueless person, her blog should be shut down, its worthless.
    Aramide is a bitter n vindictive person, and should not be allowed to run an NGO, non profit or perform public acts of charity.
    If mayowa should perish because of this
    May her death be on Toyin,Aramide, and Linda, and all those who without evidence called mayowa fraudulent, may karma visit them with a similar fate, so they know how it feels.

• priestess

July 30, 2016 at 10:09 am

May God have mercy on u.So mayowa’s death shld be on Toyin,Linda and Aramide? Are u for real?These ppl spear headed this whole fund raising thing.where were u all along.And who are you to judge Aramide?Why did the family not carry them along and put them in the know and goings on about the matter.

• For Priest

July 30, 2016 at 2:36 pm

@Priest, the last paragraph of your comment reveals the kind of person you are. You sound like you’re the worst kind of ingrate in real life. I see your comment already has many likes. That also shows how wicked, selfishly forgetful and unnecessarily vindictive Nigerians can be. How many people knew about Mayowa before Linda, Toyin & Aramide stepped in? So because they suspected fraud and raised an alarm you want whatever sad event that you imagine might happen to Mayowa to be on their heads. Is that how they taught you to reason? People have criticised them. Some fair, some unfair. But yours is on another level.
      From the outset, these three women set out to help another woman. They didn’t know her from anywhere.That’s what you must remember. Toyin used her links and fame, Linda used her platform. But now bloggers that did not post one news item about Mayowa are great ‘lovers and sympathisers’ of Mayowa. One popular blogger admitted she was contacted about Mayowa’s case but didn’t want to post it, but she took her time to write her so-called memo lambasting Linda. She now posts everything about Mayowa’s case. Isn’t that hypocrisy?
      The prayer in your last paragraph was totally uncalled for. I don’t see Mayowa herself sharing the same line of thought.
      I advise that you say a counter prayer and withdraw that comment in private. And if this is how you treat people who help you -even if they made a mistake thereafter- you need to change. Because such helper and all who heard how you treated them may never help you again.
      Best wishes for Mayowa.

• Peaches77

July 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Tell it to Priest!
      I just get tired with the kinds of commentary generated by this issue. ?? Incredibly disappointing.

18. Yeyeperry

July 30, 2016 at 6:52 am

I really don’t understand you people o.
    If her reputation was at stake what was she to do?
    She was the only celebrity that went all out to make people believe that Mayowa’s situation was real in the first place. So if after many people had donated because of her, family starts acting funny and someone calls her up to say it was a fraud don’t you think going to the authorities was sensible?
    Now we are sure that since the general public is aware of the situation, the funds will not go through the wrong pipe. Hopefully it will serve the purpose for which it was put together.
    I pray God heals Mayowa.

• Abi

July 30, 2016 at 8:57 am

VERIFICATION????

• Yeyeperry

July 30, 2016 at 11:24 am

From? The family who was the accused?

19. Ada_ugo

July 30, 2016 at 7:11 am

why is the focus suddenly on the scam, and no more on this girl’s health? Oh God, I pray for the speedy recovery of this dear one!

20. Toju

July 30, 2016 at 7:25 am

Let’s be real…. when someone is sentenced to death, until the shots are fired, his/her loved ones hope for a miracle; this is the reason why all availabe avenues for appeals and clemency are exhausted.

Yes, Mayowa is very ill….. God has turned terminal cases around in the past. Can He still do it again? Yes! Is it possible he uses doctors – local or foreign? Yes!

If she were my Sister, I will fight to see her survive…. till her last breath, if God chooses to call her home. Why give up? As long as there’s life, there’s hope. I watched a love one fall ill and gradually deteriorate for 2 years before she passed on. Up till the day she died, we didn’t give up. We ran round several hospitals and prayed for her recovery. But….

In all this, Mayowa is the one loosing! Put aside your selfish desire to be famous and let Mayowa have access to the funds for treatment. That’s what we donated the funds for; why did the police restrict the account? This is sheer wickedness

To Aramide & Toyin, how would you feel amidst this mess if she passes on? Great? Fulfilled?

21. Chi

July 30, 2016 at 7:25 am

You lock up the relatives and freeze the funds in the bank account, how is Mayowa going to fare in all this?

Mayowa herself put up the video asking for help.

Nigerians donated. If they decide to ‘chop’ the money it concern you?

It’s a donation not an investment .

Did you give them the chance to use the money for her treatment?

Where is your evidence? He said , she said isn’t evidence.

Because you have access to the media as a yeyebrity all we get to hear is your version of events which given your antecedents doesn’t impress me at all. I m sick of seeing your fake tears.

The dangers of a single story. First person to get to Linda’s blog is not always right. Let’s hear from Mayowa.

Toyin you disgust me. A little wisdom goes a very long way. Even a little.

22. Undefined beauty

July 30, 2016 at 8:57 am

something that stood out to me in the whole of this saga is the video of toyin at the police station…. In the video you could see toyin clearl distraught and I get it your name on the line no clear communication from the family and someone who you think has more knowledge than you feeding your fears the NGO. Back to the video…. What caught my ears was a statement by the person behind the camera “why am I not in this video ” witha cheerful voice” I was like in this dire situation someone wants to be in front the d camera! The someone I later found to be aramide the NGO. NGO please rethink your purpose!

23. Corolla

July 30, 2016 at 9:19 am

The same Toyin that said the family falsified mayowa’s medical report?

24. john

July 30, 2016 at 9:47 am

as it is now,with all said and done, mayowa the benefactor should be allowed to decide what the money should be used for either to save herself from the terminal disease or donate to the motherless which i feel is a good cause,toyin and aramide have done their bit,end of story,the money realized cant go back to the donors so the benefactor should reciprocate and not let people benefit illegally.

25. looters

July 30, 2016 at 10:05 am

The issue isn’t that Mayowa CLEARLY needs help asap, the issue is the family straight up lied about certain information AND because of her family’s dishonesty, Mayowa’s much needed help is being delayed. Some people are actually saying that “even if it was a scam and so what?” SMH, this is that Nigerian mentality of lack of accountability and why the country is in the mess that it is today, NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Let’s be completely honest with ourselves, if Linda didn’t post this story with the sensational headline, this situation would have turned into.. “..and our dear daughter passed away and we did all that we could and thank you good-hearted Nigerians for all your support, may your pockets be enriched”. You folks screaming ‘lack of emotional intelligence’ are the same people who lack it. Your lack of has clouded your judgement to not see that this family would have taken full advantage of the emotional implications in this situation. People DEMAND to know where and how their donations are used, it is their RIGHT. Please there are two situations here and they should be completely separated: That Mayowa is in dire need of help AND that her family is clearly dishonest.

• Tolu

July 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

@looters,
      The family were not dishonest and I’ll tell you why. No 1, Visa requirements for medical reasons need proof of treatment funds irrespective of the country. The Ahmed family had to have the money before applying for Mayowa ‘s visa. No 2. Yes, Mayowa is frail and cannot fly commercial airline which is where air ambulances come in. The brother said they had already contacted Flying Doctors. 3. The family have the right to consider another country/alternative during the process. For all you know, maybe the Abu Dhabi hospital came highly recommended.
      As someone who has been part of a fundraising drive for a friend, I can tell you that there is a lot of pressure especially when the money is raised. Also you will be receiving lots of advice and opinions from different quarters (take her here, move her there) and the last thing on their minds will be to give minute by minute updates to Toyin and Aramide.
      Finally, a word of advice to Aramide, you are not going about this the right way. You are still justifying your actions which were mostly wrong. Are you a detective? Your work running an NGO should come with some level headedness which you seem to lack. There are several Nigerians, men and women doing great work with their NGOs, no one knows them but their impact is seen. Perhaps you can learn a thing or two from them. Apologise publicly to Mayowa, her family and Nigerians, perhaps you can come out of this.

• Hadiza

July 30, 2016 at 5:23 pm

God bless you

• annoyed mac

July 30, 2016 at 6:05 pm

When you say lied are you giving the family member the benefit of not having all the information or if something came up? this is Mayowas life here not ours she has to be saved not debated on bc of 85m

26. Chris Anjorin

July 30, 2016 at 10:29 am

Sadly i have known Toyin since polytechnic days, Osun state polytechnic to be precise. She has always been negatively controversial, She had no moral inclination back then however seeing her become such a household name in Nigeria as a movie star, i had to give her credit for how well she has done. But it appears she’s still has ignorant as she was back then. She needs to grow up and understand that some idiots will still see her as a role model.

27. Abike

July 30, 2016 at 10:45 am

God bless you for this comment.I think we should look at this way that God want Mayow to live that why the whole thing came up like that.
    Someone said the family wanted to take her out and lock her somewhere so that she can die.They never planned taking her out. I am not blaming Toyin for reacting that way because she was even more on Mayowa’s side to get the necessary treatment. We all know the money is tempting and I’m sure they are considering if eventually she didn’t make it after spending all the money.
    Come to think of it, abroad Hospital don’t operate like we do here.As at the time the scam or no scam came out there was no preparations for her to travel. If they were transparent enough they should have shown us her passport and the person following passport too just to prove Toyin was lying.They did the video to save face and blackmail Toyin.In all these,I wish Mayowa a quick recovery in the mighty name of Jesus.
    Cancer will not be the portion of anyone of us.

• Fani

July 30, 2016 at 11:28 am

The money was raised fasted than anyone anticipated. She wouldn’t have gotten a visa without showing evidence of ability to pay. They got the money within few days soon course only after the money can they start the visa application. But these illiterates didn’t even give them time to do any of that.if they gave them some weeks and Mayowa was still in Nigeria then you can open your mouth . Pls lik Linda be careful of throwing accusations around. How can anyone say they wanted to lock Mayowa up? You people fear God o. People are just opening their mouths saying unverifiable rubbish up and down

28. Princess

July 30, 2016 at 11:02 am

Sahara reporters, why are you always lying, who told you that the family took her to luth, when she was about soliciting for funds, she was in her house, the family had given up on her, go to aramide of lifestake foundation page, she took her to the hospital HERSELF, she has pictures, she was wheeled to the private ward in that woman presence.. Go and check the woman page for pictures. Talking about the message, which stupid correspondence told you that she sent the text message, THIS was the same woman that solicited for help, IF SHE WASN’T INVOLVED, THE MONEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN COMPLETED WITHIN THREE DAYS,
    When she was soliciting for help, the family didn’t say they want their privacy after the money got completed, why didn’t they allow her to see mayowa again, why did they say they want their privacy then, do you know HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE ASKING TOYIN FOR FEEDBACK EVERYDAY, DID YOU THINK IT WAS SMALL MONEY THEY DONATED, THEY WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT mayowa
    WHICH DOCTOR TOLD YOU THAT THE DISEASE IS 50 50, JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE TOYIN YOU CAN’T JUST SAY RUBBISH, even here in the western world stage four ovarian cancer that had metastased to the liver causing hepatomegaly which means destroyed liver has only less than 9 percent chance of recovery, with her sickle cell, it has reduced to less than 2, THESE ARE MEDICAL REPORTS AND NOT GOD, GOD HAS THE FINAL SAY OVER OUR LIVES, this is why they have hospices here in the western world
    SAHARA REPORTERS, BE CAREFUL AND DONT LET GOD JUDGE YOU, from your stupid report you are blaming toyin and Linda, when we all know that this Ahmed family had bad motives but thank God that it was sighted,, I blame toyin for not doing her research before jumping into this, and I also blamed her for talking to the police but it wasnt her fault either IF THE FAMILY DIDN’T STOP HER FROM SEEING MAYOWA AFTER THE MONEY was completed, all these won’t happen
    GOD PLS PERFECT MAYOWA HEALING. Wrote this for Sahara reporters

• Bola

July 30, 2016 at 12:05 pm

@Princess, the family was upfront from the get go that it was stage 4 and her other health issues . So anyone who donated did so knowing what the chances were so that’s a none issue.

29. Fani

July 30, 2016 at 11:23 am

@BB, oh please . Linda as a blogger should know there are certain responsibilities that go with reporting unfounded allegations as news. In a sane society, Linda will be sued by the family. She’s caused irreparable damage. So you are confirming Linda is a rush and post queen who does nothing to verify her so called news! Someone who wanted to die cause they accused her of buying a fake bag had no problem throwing such strong accusations around without doing any verification of her own. She didn’t even wait to hear from the family because she wanted to first to break the news not minding how it would destroy people’s lives if she was wrong. Now she just removed the story and hasn’t even apologized. Nigerian bloggers need to start getting sued so they learn you don’t just post any none sense without verifying. It has nothing to do with dragging anyone that and pls leave the woman card. Linda has shown she can’t take half of what she dishes out to people. People must start suing these irresponsible bloggers

30. A

July 30, 2016 at 11:46 am

From MAyowa’s brother’s tweets, even she the sick lady is being interrogated by the police!!!! She has had a long session with the police his morning and her lawyer wasn’t even let in.

This is plain sad and heart wrenching. All because you Toyin and some other idiots decided to think through their anuses! If this girl regresses, or God forbid dies in all this, her blood is on all your hands. I feel so terrible!!! How much did you give that makes you feel you can tear down a whole family concerned about the survival of their loved one????? God will judge you! What happened to truly caring about your neighbor??? If it was your sister, won’t you do all within your power to ensure she gets the best care possible???!

To Linda, toyin and the Kasunmu lady, you are heartless and borderline evil. God have mercy on you.

• Bola

July 30, 2016 at 12:06 pm

At A, are you serious that the police has been interrogating Mayowa? This is unfair and what is wrong with Nigerian Police? You have no right denying someone’s lawyers from been present. All the over reactors and those going fastest fingers to post, see what you’ve caused!

31. its_urgirlie

July 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

BB thank you for that your comment. I started visiting bellanaija blog because it’s really cool, and the people who comment here are very reasonable. But all of a sudden, people started trolling each other here and calling out other people. #TeamStopTheHostileComments. Bellanaija platform is not instagram

32. D.

July 30, 2016 at 11:54 am

In the midst of all these, I hope for the best for Mayowa…and this toyin’s statement sef, I’m sure she won’t understand the english there if she reads it

• Michael

July 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm

? ? ? haba!!!lolsss

33. Michael

July 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Medicine after death. Years of acting should have thought her one or two things but I guess people don’t learn easily. Shioooor

34. anon

July 30, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I feel for mayowa and at this time when she needs all the support and encouragement, this is not suppose to be hapening.
    I think we should all watch the way we comment on this matter.
    If you read the press relese from LUTH, it is stated expressly that the family was persuaded to allow LUTH transfuse her with blood, the family had concluded to move her out of the hospital, the question we should be asking the family is this, where were they moving out to, I honestly think the family member have some question to answer.
    Toyin reacted rather too early in my own opinion

35. Rae

July 30, 2016 at 12:30 pm

My only question is where is Mayowa ? She’s been missing since this whole episode. I can only pray the poor lady is ok

36. Misi

July 30, 2016 at 3:14 pm

I see so many bad comments abt Toyin n I wonder if its really a bad thing trying to help. Now I understand why celebrities don’t like to donate or help. Too many ungrateful people around. Some people don’t even know d full story, just a fraction knowledge abt d issue, they start making gullible comments. I won’t be surprise if this is the last we see of celebrities helping people. It is well

37. OA

July 30, 2016 at 3:16 pm

After watching some of the posts on You Tube, I am dumbfounded! Toyin should have just left when they asked her to despite Aramide’s instigating phone call. Even if she felt that more money had been raised on account of her liaison with Mayowa, and she felt slighted when the family asked her to leave, it was not enough for her to carry on especially outside the hospital in public. That was rather embarrassing. Self respect demands that nkan to ba ti mu disgrace/embarrassment da ni (any appearance of disgrace/embarrassment), persin should avoid it! I will now stoop so low and be trying to explain to some nobodies/strangers…God forbid! …she was even saying “E mi, e mi kpe Linda Ikeji?” (Me? Me, I called Linda Ikeji?) followed by one “razz” chorus of “Yyeeesss!!!” from the accusers. God forbid! I can’t even do dat wan in a private setting talk less of public! Chai, she has suffered!

As far as I am concerned, Aramide was looking for someone to do her own personal fighting (whatever the basis of this fight was, whether for personal gain or whatever) for her and Toyin fell for the trap.

• Hadiza

July 30, 2016 at 5:16 pm

My dear I feel you … She is just a razz n not intellenglent girl simple … Look at TY bello n Jumoke issues , look at the way she carried herself even when pple started saying BS … When you are classic you classic

• annoyed mac

July 30, 2016 at 6:08 pm

At a point everybody leaves the patients room even if you are a parent, its clear from the videos there was restriction so as not to not to overburden Mayowa with visitors so why should King kong be sad she was asked to leave

38. Ej

July 30, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Pls Lord save mayowa

39. Pearl

July 30, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Anty Toyin, the family doesn’t need you in their business anymore, what’s the big deal. The police should ask yu why yu want the fund transaction should go thru your foundation and that of your friend. What’s yur gain? Leo mezie and other Co actors of your who has been looking for help, why didn’t yu campaign for them mother theresa. Why do yu want to go with then to the hospital abroad. Yu helped in the campaign…so what, what’s the big deal…mayowa is still sick, yu better be careful else…your so called fans will turn against yu when the truth is revealed.

40. Fashion and Style Police

July 30, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Toyin, I don’t know you personally but many people will think I do because of how pissed off I am on your behalf. I can see you have a good heart, and you had no cruel intentions. Just keep calm, this too shall pass. The keyboard warriors will move on to the next gist very soon.

I just wish OJB, Muna Obiekwe, Nomoreloss and many others had this sort of opportunity…Maybe they would be here today, but God knows best.

41. KÉKE

July 30, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Smh, this mayowa case is very sad. But what many fail to realize that she was so far gone in the course of her illness, basically terminal with mets. She is a hospice patient basically. Absolute no doctor born of a woman to fix her only God but let’s be realistic. I hope her family would face reality and help this poor soul live the rest of her days in peace and not sort for magic somewhere. America is expensive, you live or die, they are getting paid. So why put her through that? Makes no sense in my opinion

42. Grace

July 30, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Mayowa,
    1).May you receive the infinite mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ & have a divine encounter with the great physician.
    2). May you be delivered from the hands of the terrible. May the Lord contend with them that contend with you in battle IJNA
    3). Dry bones shall rise again in you, Mayowa in Jesus name. Amen.
    4).Thanks wonderful Nigerians & friends of God.

43. home tee

July 31, 2016 at 6:02 am

Well, you are not her and thankfully you are not God either. he is bigger than Mayowa’s ailment and very capable of healing her. No one should call a case hopeless when there is still a little shred of hope. Worse case has been reversed.
    As for Toyin,much as I like her, I am so very disappointed in her. Believe me she should have kept her cool. Shouldn’t Mayowa be the primary concern.must she throw a temper fit to make her point? Must she get the police involved just bcs she has police PRO on sped dial? Shame to Kasumu. Shame to Toyin. The only thing they have succeeded in doing is robbbing Mayowa of her chance to fight for her life.

44. SAMUEL

July 31, 2016 at 10:51 am

All what we need to be doing is to ask GOD to forgive MAYOWA AHMED all her sin

SORRY TO SAY THIS SHE WE KICK THE BUCKET

I PRAY YOU REST IN GOD HANDS

45. Kehinde

August 1, 2016 at 12:04 am

Toyin has good intentions but at the end of the day we are all human we react differently to things. Anyone in Toyin’s shoes will react and involve police.
    1) if the money is not well accounted for people will blame toyin.

2) Nigerians will be expecting feedback surely (it’s because we care about her)

3) things can’t just go private like that and even if it does it should be announced ( am not saying we are God but at least it’s sensible like that and people will not be suspecting anything)

4. I believe there are grown ups/ old people from mayowa family present at that place where Toyin was embarrassed, the older one can ” call toyin to one side” and explain things and let people know that privacy is needed. #e no require fight at all. Am sure if they had done this things toyin will not truly believe it is a scam at least things will be calmer.

5) as for mayowa people., I believe it’s tension and all that but nevertheless, the thing could have been done sensibly. They should at least appreciate Toyin’s effort.

6) Nigerian police should always pray for wisdom, they lack it ( well majority) . I believe they can do better than what they did. They can make investigations and still make sure mayowa receives treatment that she needs ( doing this in a way that will not affect mayowa)

46. Oluwasegun

August 5, 2016 at 8:31 am

Hello this is not more a news, but i only have an advice for Toyin, Please dont back off on mayowa’s case okay please and please cos a man said and i quote “Dont stop when you are tired but stop when you are done !!! God Bless TOYIN !!! God Bless Nigerians !!! God Bless and Save Mayowa’s life !!! Amen