Connect with us

Advertisement

News

Goodluck Jonathan Responds to Reports About FG Probing Him over Alleged Links to Militants

Published

 on

Goodluck Jonathan Declaration

Former President, Goodluck Jonathan, has reacted to reports making the rounds, linking him to the renewed militancy in the Niger Delta Region.

On Thursday, there were reports that the Federal Government has initiated an investigation into the former president over an alleged link to the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA).

Jonathan, who had earlier denied having anything to do with NDA, made this known in a statement posted on his official website on Thursday.

The former president said that such reports were being sponsored by “people who may have scores to settle” with him but are frustrated by the rise of his national and international profile.

Read the statement below:

Our attention has been drawn to two stories entitled ‘Report links Jonathan to Niger Delta Avengers’ and ‘FG probes Jonathan over N/Delta bombings’ published in both the Nation and Daily Trust newspapers, respectively, of Thursday, August 18, 2016, with the claim that some intelligence reports had linked Jonathan to the renewed militancy in the Niger Delta.

We obviously would have ignored the allegation, having responded recently to the exact same fabrication peddled by a shady militant group, but for the new dimension of bringing in the authorities, while hiding under the often-abused journalism latitude of quoting nebulous ‘sources’.

Firstly, we note that there were similarities in the two stories published the same day by the two newspapers, that are too striking to pass the test of the normal newsroom process of diligent reporting and independent investigation.

We are convinced that such clear coincidences are only permissible in situations where general statements are issued, but not on matters of intelligence/security reports which do not fly into newsrooms as press releases.

We are also concerned that the stories did not differ in content and substance from the trite allegations earlier made by the so-called Reformed Niger Delta Avengers (RNDA) over the same lies of linking Jonathan to the militants.

For instance, we are amazed that a newspaper would be quick to report that “the intelligence gathering was said to be a confirmation of a similar claim by the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND)“, even without subjecting such frivolity to any ethical interrogation.

From what we know about intelligence gathering, there is no responsible Government agency that would rush, as claimed in the newspaper stories, to adopt the accusations of a questionable rebellious organization as its own findings, without applying the professional processes of rigor and due diligence.

It is sad that the two publications wore the cloak of the deceit from the same misguided characters that are hell-bent on pulling down the former President, despite his clear record of diligent service to his country and long-standing commitment to the good of society.

There is no doubt that there exist such people who may have scores to settle with the former President but are now feeling frustrated by the fact that his national and international profile has continued to rise, despite their recourse to endless muck-raking character assassination. Such people will stop at nothing to continue to throw obstacles, albeit futilely, on his path.

We are aware that the same people approached other well-meaning newspapers with the same false information, but they were wise to turn it down on account of its absurdity.

Our media houses should then be careful not to make the country a laughing stock by being hoodwinked into passing off the perverted voices of irritant groups as that of our well respected official and security authorities.

Apart from toying with the serious issue of libel, those newspapers lending themselves to be so cheaply used by miscreants, are also doing gross disservice to our collective good and the image of the country.

10 Comments

  1. Busarni

    August 19, 2016 at 3:34 pm

    Don’t mind them; they are just scared of your rising international profile. Keep slaying and setting records.

  2. Ibex

    August 19, 2016 at 4:08 pm

    GEJ the statesman, don’t mind them. They will never succeed. just keep on the good works. we love you

  3. nene+

    August 19, 2016 at 4:54 pm

    The man who handed the ultimate power to an opposition will now resort to supporting NDA? To do what exactly? APC propagander dept fear God small na!

  4. De Duchess

    August 19, 2016 at 5:12 pm

    The most insecure government ever!!!
    He could have probed Buhari for being linked to Boko Haram too and he knew Buhari was going to be an opposition, but he didn’t.
    This government even with power their insecurity is overwhelming.

  5. Tee

    August 19, 2016 at 5:28 pm

    The man who handed what exactly abi he lost the election. Pls stop this crap. Buhari is the one behind Boko Haram was the song from election till date yet na Buhari people for north dey die. Avengers and their sponsors no kill their people cos na dem dem. After dem blow all pipe lines finish, dem go get another IDP and investment for the area sef no go thrive again. Abeg who go win. Your loyalist dey fight on your behalf but na all of una go suffer am.

    • Dzy

      August 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm

      When people praise Jonathan for doing the right thing after he lost the election, it is because they are looking at the big picture based on the history and the present in Africa. We look around Africa we see that most of the conflicts arise when it is time for transition of power. The conflicts lead to civil wars thousands of people are killed and assets are destroyed. You see this is our immediate environment, we are not in America or Europe.
      Making Jonathan a hero goes beyond tribe, or political party or even Nigeria, it is for the benefit of Africa. This will encourage other leaders to hand over power peacefully when they loose elections. Lives will be saved, development in Africa will will have a consistent growth.
      Cheers to the development and growth of Africa!

    • Dzy

      August 19, 2016 at 7:35 pm

      will*

  6. Suga

    August 19, 2016 at 5:34 pm

    @ De Dutchess let Buhari continue to probe as the probe minister that he is because that is all he can boost of since he became the president while Nigerians are dieing of hardship. Please note that GEJ is not competing with Buhari as they are incomparable beyond any reasonable doubt. May God continue to bless and keep you sir, amen!

  7. c

    August 19, 2016 at 8:41 pm

    Honestly this is just overkill Buhari and this his probing complete overkill whoever come next election even chair set I go campaign tire for am pass buhari. Any na the fools wey dey scream change go elect 80yr old ex-militant 4 power. Omo naija I tire 4 Una.

  8. Bimbo

    August 23, 2016 at 1:15 am

    The only confused people here are the Nigerians waiting and hoping for the day a repentant Buhari would come, cap in hand to beg everyone in four years time.,, apologizing for his mistakes and promising to change….. Hahaha. In your dreams baby. Ain’t gonna happen.
    This is truly it. Dude is going to declare an Islamic republic of Nigeria, and set himself up in power forever.
    Before You say tufiakwa/abomination, ask yourself this. If the genius could achieve all this dominion, fear and total control of everything in just one year, what, more can he achieve in 3 years, and most importantly “who’s gonna stop him’
    Is it the army, navy, Air Force or police?? All ruled by his kinsmen??
    We’re really in for it o. This is it. That dude ain’t going nowhere and he doesn’t need your future votes… EVER.
    He’s already on the throne and he ain’t going nowhere.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa
css.php