Scoop

“It’s not something a lot of people talk about” – Naya Rivera on Terminating a Pregnancy without her Husband’s Knowledge during a Breakup

Naya Rivera“Glee” actress Naya Rivera has revealed that, while she and her husband Ryan Dorsey were dating but on a break, she made the decision to abort a pregnancy so she could concentrate on her career.

She made the revelation in her new memoir, Sorry Not Sorry, according to an excerpt obtained by People.

naya-rivera-sorry-not-cover-reveal

Naya, who is now a mother to 11-month-old son Josey Hollis Dorsey, got pregnant in 2010. The father was now-husband Ryan Dorsey, whom Naya later reunited with and married in 2014. At the time the actress, who played Santana on Fox hit show “Glee”, opted to focus on her career and scheduled an abortion on her day off from filming.

Talking about opening up in the book she says “It was very scary to open up about everything. It’s not something a lot of people talk about, but I think they should. I know some people might read it and say, ‘What the hell?’ But I hope someone out there gets something out of it.”

On if her son sees it she says “I hope Josey will read it one day. I hope it gives him a better perspective on the issues women face.”

Naya Rivera also took to Twitter to explain her reasons for sharing her story.

She said “I set out to write a book that was true to myself and would hopefully help others along the way. Media will always distort anything. I hope that you all enjoy my story and respect my good intentions in sharing them with you.”

Naya Rivera

Talking about her battle with anorexia she says

“By the time I was a sophomore, I started feeling that what had begun as a game had maybe gone too far. I just avoided food at all costs. If my mom had packed a lunch for me, I’d either trash it or find some excuse to give it away. I was so young and it just seemed to be the norm. Everyone was going through similar stuff. I had no way of knowing if I was going through it worse. I was juggling my feelings and it makes me sad that there are girls still going through that 15 years after I went through it.”

Photo Credit: Getty Images/ Dimitrios Kambouris

1. fjb

August 24, 2016 at 2:46 pm

her womb her choices… I wonder if I were to be the husband, I ain’t sure how forgiving I would be. I get the point that women owns their body and d child’s plate but common,when I dish u with my natural pap,kindly tell me if I might be served with a plate of baby

2. Asa

August 24, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Pro life for life! Not ashamed to say it and I will scream it from the rooftops! “Abortion is NOT a method of contraception”. Her body, you might say, my views, I will definitely say! Abortion is not being safe!

3. Sisi

August 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Of course a woman’s body her choice however not sure how appropriate in most cases and certainly not when married (2 become 1). She wasn’t married at the time so I guess fair game. PSA prevention is better than cure! I wonder how he feels about this?

4. Kikelola

August 24, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I think the lesson to be learned here, is that you should only move forward with a pregnancy if you’re certain. So many women are encouraged or guilted to birth children into unstable, uncertain, and economically fragile circumstances under the guise that children are “blessings”. No one will brand you a heroine for bringing a life into the world just for you and the child to suffer. Good on Naya for being transparent and honest, perhaps it’ll lend hope to women who think they don’t have options.

• Sisi

August 24, 2016 at 4:13 pm

There is certainly something to say about parents being able to provide a nice well rounded life for thier child, but highly unlikely that her child would have ‘suffered’ in monetary terms if she had gone ahead to have it.

• tunmi

August 25, 2016 at 7:58 pm

there’s more than one type of sufffering. Her mental health nko? As @Kikelola said, move forward if you are certain. That’s taking finances and well being (mental, emotional, physical) into consideration.

5. scarlet

August 24, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I see the point she’s trying to make here, most people go ahead to have a baby just for the heck of it, although you don’t have any business indulging in unprotected sex if you are not ready for the consequence (a child) but sometimes when it happens you suddenly realize you are not ready for that kind of responsibility yet, its a tricky situation. I appreciate her honesty on this issue, alot of women have done something similar but will never own up for fear of criticism.

6. Rose

August 24, 2016 at 4:58 pm

What about the right of the child? A few years ago there was a feature story in one of the papers (in UK) about a woman, aged 36-38, who had 11 abortions, yes 11! I kid you not and what made me even more angry was that she had all these abortions because she was not ready to have kids!
    I’m sure plenty of people will defend someone like this because it’s ‘her body, her choice’ but really? ?

7. Gorgeous

August 24, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I am pro choice. I can’t and will not be willing to contribute to survival of anyone and their unwanted pregnancy. So I don’t have a right to tell her what to do. Though I have never had to contemplate such a difficult decision. But I know friends who have, and it was a very difficult decision for them. To which I sympathize with them. However the ones that use if for birth control have issues greater than we can all comprehend here!

• tunmi

August 25, 2016 at 7:59 pm

” I can’t and will not be willing to contribute to survival of anyone and their unwanted pregnancy.” and this is why I am pro-choice!!!!!

8. ms.

August 24, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I am pro life and I remain pro life, but until I was faced with my own very serious situation that thankfully offered me an option to abort, I can not judge or fault anyone for making theirs.

9. Mabel

August 24, 2016 at 9:22 pm

This is one of those issues I honestly feel nothing about. If she had the baby it wouldn’t impact my life, she didn’t have it and it still doesn’t impact my life. A good friend of mine mother had an abortion because she already had two children and did not want a third, she was a married woman at the time of making that choice, a nurse as well. I feel the choice should always be available to whomever deems it necessary for them.

10. two cent