Style

The Lagos Bride with No Makeup Speaks! Busola Umoren on Going Viral, Marrying after 3 Months of Knowing her Husband & More

Busola Umoren_bride with no makeup 1Busola Umoren‘s wedding photos went viral last week. Why? She had no makeup on, yup, not even powder.

The bride, who is from Lagos, and a graduate of LASU (Lagos State University) spoke to Vanguard Allure about her choice – she loves her natural self, and shares that her husband fell in love with her when she hadn’t even taken her bath that day. She also said she wouldn’t have posted her makeup-free photos if she knew they’d go viral.

Here are some excerpts below!

***

Was that the main reason you went for a natural look on your wedding day?
Just like I was convinced to wear make-up on my engagement day, I was also told to do same for my wedding. I also planned to go for nude make over. I contacted a make-up artiste and she was on standby. On that‎ fateful morning, I was in the car and I looked at the mirror and liked what I saw. Meanwhile, because I was already running late, I had begged the make-up artist to come over and do the makeup in the church (inside the car). After all, it wasn’t supposed to be a serious thing- just small touches here and there.

So, as I stared at myself in the mirror, I looked so natural and beautiful; I really liked what I saw.
Some church members also came to me and liked my natural look and agreed with me not to make up.

Secondly, to be honest, when my husband first met me, I had not had my bath, but he saw and fell in love with my natural look. My hair was due, my face looked way older, I was even tying nylon on my hair when he came to me on that fateful morning, yet he loved what he saw. So, who am I supposed to be making all that up for on my wedding day?

So, that was it. I think God just decided to crown me with early morning beauty the day I wedded.Busola Umoren_bride with no makeup_2Interestingly, the photographer and the makeup person, were insisting that I should touch up my face a little but I blatantly refused. In the process, a marriage committee member overheard us and warned that make-up is not allowed inside the Church; Christ Apostolic Church, Surulere.

So, before then, you had no idea they don’t wear make-up to your church?

Yes! I had no idea. Some C.A.C parishes wear make-up to church, but some don’t. I only got to know that morning. We wedded in my parent’s parish, so we were not used to their rules and
regulations.

Well, because of that we concluded that I would have some make-up on after the church; before the reception. But the picture that went viral, I had no makeup on, not even powder.

When you saw your pictures all over the internet what was your first reaction?

I’m a writer and a blogger with a Facebook fan page. So, I actually uploaded the pictures on my Facebook page, telling my fans and readers that I have gotten married.

As at Tuesday, it had over 1,500 shares on Facebook. The picture went viral with some people saying all kinds of things about me. I’m a very emotional person. I saw the pictures on different blogs and the comments were not pleasant at all. Someone even said that I wanted to be famous that was why I didn’t use makeup. Some other persons said I was trying to condemn those wearing make-up on their wedding day that was why I went for natural look. The comments were too much and mostly insulting. I had to stop reading them because it was really getting at me.

Honestly, if I knew it would be like this, I wouldn’t have posted it.

How did your husband react to all of these?Busola Umoren_bride with no makeup 3My husband is quite understanding. He was just laughing and wondering why people are so surprised about the whole thing. He wasn’t angry at all.

As a naturalist, so you have a special beauty routine?

No. No at all. I am not particular about creams, soaps, or other beauty products. My husband do have his special creams and perfumes and all that, but I don’t. If we plan to go out, after taking our baths, I’d be ready before him because, apart from my body cream, I don’t do any other thing. I just wear my clothes. My husband was forced to buy me powder, so I can at least start using it whenever we want to go out.

Soon you’d start having kids, are you going to pierce their ears?

Well, it all depends on my husband. It is his choice. For me, I can’t impose lifestyles on my kids. You see some kids forming Holier-than- thou at home, but when they step out, they become so wild. I don’t want that kind of life for my children.

How did you meet your husband?

We met last year, December 16, 2015 after I was robbed besides Abiola Garden, Lagos at about 9am. The robbery was a horrible experience; I lost my Blackberry phone, tab and some money. Thankfully, I wasn’t raped but sustained minor injuries. A close friend then volunteered to come help me massage my leg when he heard what happened to me.

When he was coming that morning, he came with his long time friend (who is now my husband). When I first saw them, I almost refused to open the door, because it was quite early and I wasn’t expecting two visitors (one stranger at that time).

Well, I later had to open the door and that was it. After the first visit, he (my husband), came back alone on December 26, to see me and that was how our relationship started.

Few weeks later, he proposed because he was scared that if he wasted more time, another man would take over.

(laughs)

We had our court registry in February 2016, barely three months after we met.

What was the first attraction?
Well, I like his height. I am not on the tall side, so he compliments me. I like tall guys; nothing less than 6 ft. He is also chubby. He is very caring. He showered me with his love and care that I had no choice but to succumb. But his tribe was almost a barrier for us; he is from Akwa-Ibom while I’m from Lagos State.

***

Photo Credit: Busola Umoren Facebook

1. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

August 29, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Who painted face Epp??? There is more to marriage than your beauty on your wedding day. WIFE MATERIAL X10000000 YARDS

• Ibukungeorge

August 30, 2016 at 3:57 am

?????Lol

• ATL's finest

August 30, 2016 at 4:42 am

Lol your comment got me rolling. And truth of the matter is that she’s indeed naturally pretty. This is one BOLD, confident & amazing woman. Come to think of it, these days folks won’t go to Walmart or should I say Balogun market without make up on. Abeg free that skin/pores to air. I’d take her face any day, anytime over a lot of these caked/baked make up faces ( that’s just me).
      Congrats on your wedding.

2. Ghostmode

August 29, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Congratulations darling! You sure do look beautiful :)…please don’t get worked up about the bullies on the Internet they ain’t worth it all!

3. Spunky

August 29, 2016 at 8:24 pm

A very confident Bride and she looks amazing. Truly, black don’t crack.

4. Baby gurl

August 29, 2016 at 8:24 pm

What I picked was that they met a mere 8 months ago! Wow. Good for them. HML and God bless you both. #TeamNatural

5. naya

August 29, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Nawa oooo, people wont stop amazing me. Is it ur wedding? Or are u d husband? Or God? So y d insults
    Busola you are beautiful and I like d look, av always planned to do a nude makeup on my wedding day.
    Cos she doesn’t feel like using rainbow colours on her face doesn’t make her less beautiful. Sometimes I wonder y women spend Soo much on makeup on your wedding day (50k and above), is it cos they feel Dats d happiest day of ur life? A wise man once said (pastor Kingsley okonkwo) dat ur wedding day isn’t supposed to be the happiest day of ur life.
    They should free her joor, she is not the first and wont be the last, last time I checked deeper life nd some churches don’t use makeup and dey wed regularly there

• Ese V

August 29, 2016 at 9:15 pm

And just think about it, the same people would insult her & tear her to shreds if she was made up and it was not applied properly.

• Bey

August 29, 2016 at 10:58 pm

To each it’s own.
      We shldnt also not bash those who carry 350k and dash Banke Meshida( or how much is she now).
      That smone wants all colors of d rainbow on her face on her wedding day is her choice. We shldnt bash dat
      That u want a nude natural look is also your choice.
      I personally am I lover of make-up so it was important for me to get dolled up on my wedding. Luckily I got d MUA as a gift, but I wld have carried my hundred of thousands to get it done( yes it’s important to me to look flawless on my day)
      If u wanna go natural, do by all means. But pls don’t bash odas dat make up is important to @naya.
      Besides not everyone is blessed wit clear and smooth skin, sum of us need concealer abeg.

6. Sky Blue

August 29, 2016 at 8:42 pm

She’s beautiful! <3.

7. Great Lady

August 29, 2016 at 8:53 pm

She looks radiantly beautiful. Congratulations and all the best.

8. Ada Nnewi

August 29, 2016 at 8:53 pm

She’s very beautiful

9. maitamachicinLA

August 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Mba nu. We know you are very fine without makeup. It’s your one in a lifetime (hopefully) special day, Get dolled up! Nude makeup at the very least. Save your “I literally woke up like this” face for your husband only biko.

• artklub

August 29, 2016 at 9:15 pm

its not ur wedding.

• Hills

August 29, 2016 at 9:17 pm

How is it doing you??

• Wunmi

August 29, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Dear Maitama chic,there are many more special occasions to come.Wedding is not the only once in a life time occasion Biko.just because a person is expected to get married once doesn’t make it a once in a life time special occasion.If she born first born,it is a one in a lifetime special occasion because she can’t have another first born.If she clocks forty,it is another once in a lifetime special occasion,God help them if d marriage now clocks 10 years,gba be.They can decide to celebrate and renew their vows and so makeup can come in handy at such times.
      See lovely fresh face,see beauty without photo edit and insta light.Can u try it?( u Maitama chic)

• Iris

August 30, 2016 at 4:27 am

Are you a makeup artist trying to make it in LA?

10. Ese V

August 29, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Congratulations! Your face is naturally flawless! People spend tens of thousands to achieve your look, so you must understand their outrage, lol! Be you, do you! Have a very happy married life together!

11. Jesus daughter

August 29, 2016 at 9:15 pm

In Songs of Solomon 7, Solomon was admiring someone who God created and it makes you realise how perfect God’s creation is. Psalm 139:14 says we are beautifully and wonderfully made. Genesis 1:27 says God created us in His own image. These passages all tell us that God thinks we’re perfect just the way we are therefore, we don’t need make up. My parents always told me that wearing make-up implied that I didn’t think that God created me beautifully enough. Going make-up free means we’re acknowledging that we’re perfect just the way our Creator made us.
    If you’re further interested, read 2 Kings 9:30-37 and see another reason why I personally don’t subscribe to the use of make-up. 1 Peter 3:3,4 and 1 Timothy 2:9,10 also show how we should present ourselves.
    This lady looks just perfect! She’s absolutely beautiful!

• Jesus daughter

August 29, 2016 at 9:21 pm

2 Kings 9:30-35 And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face, and tired her head, and looked out at a window. And as Jehu entered in at the gate, she said, Had Zimri peace, who slew his master? And he lifted up his face to the window, and said, Who is on my side? who? And there looked out to him two or three eunuchs. And he said, Throw her down. So they threw her down: and some of her blood was sprinkled on the wall, and on the horses: and he trode her under foot. And when he was come in, he did eat and drink, and said, Go, see now this cursed woman, and bury her: for she is a king’s daughter.
      And they went to bury her: but they found no more of her than the skull, and the feet, and the palms of her hands.

1 Peter 3:3,4 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

1 Timothy 2:9,10 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

• Xoxo

August 30, 2016 at 12:00 am

Jesus daughter seriously? Your parents told you using make up implies you don’t think God created you beautifully? I’m sick of those looking down on people that wear make up and those that do not wear make up. It’s not by force. Not everyone can be barefaced all the time. Some people like to go the extra mile in looking more beautiful and it’s no ones business. Because you do not accept it does not give you the right to condem people. It’s between them and their God. And the 1 Peter 3 that you quoted does that mean our hair should not be plaited too and we should not put on apparel? Cos I don’t get your point, one last thing are you also comparing women who use make up to Jezebel? You don’t like make up good for you but don’t butt into the cases of people who do and shade them. I know a lot of people who do not wear make up and it is not my place to tell them to. Please mind your business and live with your bare face. It doesn’t mean Jesus loves me less neither does it mean you’d enter heaven with your bare face. Try minding your business. On a lighter note, the bride looks pretty. Make up is a choice, not by force.

• Jesus daughter

August 30, 2016 at 12:44 am

I spelt out my views with regards to the use of make-up and backed it with scriptures. If you don’t agree, its really up to you. The great thing about platforms like these is that everyone has the right to express themselves.
      Have a great day!

• jimmy James

August 30, 2016 at 8:33 am

@Jesus dauther what Bible means by creating us as his own image is not a physical appearance bcs God is spirit God does not poses physical body like we human if u want to know more about that then contact me

• Chu

August 30, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Please help me tel her, if we were all created in the physical image of God, then every human would be identical. God meant our spirit man and not the physical. Make up is not a sin, people be using the bible up and down to justify their personal beliefs. You can choose to live that way but do not force your beliefs on others and make them feel like sinners.

• Kay

August 30, 2016 at 9:52 am

Bia, Queen Esther spent one year preparing herself to meet the king. Makeup, spa, diet, mannerisms and all. Don’t over spiritualize, you are not holier than God Himself. A woman is allowed to adorn herself if she so chooses. Think outside the box. In some marriages if you no adorn yourself that’s a turnoff for the man. Each to his own. There is no fried Rice or Isiewu or roasted plantain in the bible, but we dey chop am, from Pope to pastor, to nun to frickin new borns with teeth strong enough to join the dance. No use bible justify your personal issues.

12. Nene

August 29, 2016 at 9:54 pm

She actually looks good. Pls this is not for everybody. Beware!

13. chamazing chick

August 29, 2016 at 10:14 pm

She is actually very beautiful. I agree with Nene, this look is not for everyone. Just do whatever pleases you.

14. JustSaying

August 29, 2016 at 10:16 pm

The people on here criticizing her are the ones who are single and lonely and all they use is vibrators and middle finger cos no one has asked for their hand in marriage yet.

It is such hate you spew that has blocked your blessings.

Shut up and go get some batteries. Anofias

• artklub

August 29, 2016 at 10:25 pm

nothing wrong with being single, using middle finger or vibrator…

• Babes

August 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

@JustSaying, you just confessed. What u do in d dark………?

15. Someonecute

August 29, 2016 at 10:43 pm

You are a beautiful bride dear. Like Uncle gwe gwe said, there is more to marriage than a painted face.

16. andtherewasone

August 29, 2016 at 10:44 pm

This bride without make up thing has been happening in deeperlife bible church for eons now, u should see their marriage dress(not wedding gowns) . this is normal n she’s pretty without it

17. That African Chic

August 29, 2016 at 10:57 pm

She looks ok but I guess it takes some time to get used to the no make up look. But why stop at no make up, I can see she fixed her hair, wore a nice wedding dress etc. Why did she not go all out with the natural thing.

Anyway guys I’m documenting my German Visa application process at lifeofanafricanstudentabroad.blogspot.com

Fee free to pass by

• adelegirl

August 30, 2016 at 2:12 pm

She didn’t go all out with “the natural thing” because it was not her original intention not to wear make up. She had planned to do a light nude makeup and actually did do make up for her traditional wedding but according to her, she looked in the mirror that morning and liked what she saw coupled with the fact that she found out on the morning of the wedding that the church does not allow make up on brides.

18. Chiomah

August 30, 2016 at 12:33 am

She is pretty and very confident! Congrats to her.. some of us must use concealer at the very least to cover blemishes.

19. Jemima

August 30, 2016 at 9:49 am

Not sure why people are making a fuss about this. Deeper life, some CAC and MFM brides do without makeup. It’s not new!

20. ramat

August 30, 2016 at 10:18 am

Did you say Walmart or Balogun? There’s a girl in my gym that does not come for workouts without a full face of makeup.

21. Blessing

August 30, 2016 at 10:21 am

One thing I noticed on bellanaija is that the first to comment get the most ‘Love this!’,something is fishy here

22. jesbadoma

August 30, 2016 at 11:29 am

Natural beauty.

23. John

August 30, 2016 at 12:37 pm

24. John

August 30, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Secondly, to be honest, when my husband first met me, I had not had my bath, but he saw and fell in love with my natural look. My hair was due, my face looked way older, I was even tying nylon on my hair when he came to me on that fateful morning, yet he loved what he saw. So, who am I supposed to be making all that up for on my wedding day??……….this is the most romantic statetment I have ever read on bellanaija..this is an example of a strong black woman who knows what she wants not the bitter,use and dump,hypocrites that roam around this blogs like a hyenas looking for articles on men to bash.

25. sobeautifulthou

August 30, 2016 at 1:44 pm

she looks so stunning and beautiful. without any make-up or make over or painting lol.

26. OmaOma

August 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm

She’s really beautiful?

27. OmaOma

August 30, 2016 at 1:58 pm

And also, I don’t think it’s a big deal. An aunty of mine got married with makeup…..

28. Pookie

August 30, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Everyone arguing about the makeup thing or not.. pPl disn’t peep what attracted her to her hubby,I mean to each his own, but a Cac lady that has nothing godly attracting her to her hubby? Well I’m a assume she purposely left that part out.

29. Ladies overdoing it

August 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm

@Bey
    Now you are talking

Insecurity is the main cause which you admitted to by saying “not everyone has a smooth skin and we need concealer”

Most men love naturalistas not even the pancake babes

Dont know why you people stress yourself on top wetin no dey

e.g The small/moderate make up on Kunbi wa smuch better and preferrable to the one they did for her trad.

Men aint rooting for make up , stop stressing yourself

30. deedee

August 30, 2016 at 2:40 pm

if she’s this fine, then i wonder what she would look like with makeup….beautiful

31. tunmi

August 30, 2016 at 8:02 pm

That picture of her and her husband is GORGEOUS!!!!!! Like what????

Now the interviewer, the woman said she has a blog but you didn’t inquire. But you will ask about kids sha!!!

32. Celeste

August 31, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Don’t know what the fuss is about. Its her choice to go makeup free for her wedding. But fact is the photographers enhance photos, so she going bare faced for her wedding isn’t a big deal, because even with makeup a good photography makes you look even better, if not best.

33. Idomagirl

August 31, 2016 at 7:53 pm

She’s very beautiful, with very clear skin.

34. bamikole adeyeye

September 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm

either we like it or not this sister has left decent legacy for her children & generations to come after her. if we read & understand our Bible very well, it is inner beauty that Bible is more particular about. so, it was this inner beauty that the husband saw at first meeting. also, the issue of marriage is the agreement between husband & wife only &this husband is fully satisfied with the appearance of his wife especially on their wedding day, I think this is a very big testimony 4 this new family. so what I expect the whole world to do is to join them in celebration of their love shearing of that grate legacy they have laid down for this perilous generation. I think there is no point 4 critisism. it is nobody biz rather the biz between this very couple and their god.