Sweet Spot

“People who get married and have children don’t know how lucky they are, it takes the Grace of God to remain sane” Ibidun Ighodalo opens up about the Journey to Motherhood

BellaNaija.com

Ibidun Ighodalo

She is a former Beauty Queen, a successful Entrepreneur and loving wife to the Pastor of a teeming Church of believers. Ibidun Ighodalo recently announced that her foundation will oversee the cost of helping 28 couples achieve their dream.

She is currently using the Ibidun Ighodalo Foundation to award grants for fertility treatment such as In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), Frozen Embryo Transfer and Intrauterine Insemination. The plan currently accommodates 28 couples as opposed to the one or two they planned to work with.

In her interview ThisDay’s Nseobong Okon-Ekong, she shares her challenges on the journey to Motherhood and how she has been able to stay strong.

Here’s an excerpt of her interview:

“I have heard stories of in-laws calling the woman painful names. Those are hurtful things to say. There are names you don’t want to call a woman that is looking up to God.”

“People may not want to be mean, but they don’t know that certain statements and body language hurt. When you are waiting on God, you can be sensitive to what people say or do and they might not know it will hurt or hit you. It is good to raise awareness and understanding about childless couples. Friends and relatives should be a bit more sensitive to women or couples who are waiting on the Lord. I know that because of our culture, the pressure is so much. The shoes of women who are waiting on the Lord are not very easy shoes. Emotionally, mentally and psychologically, hormonally, when you are going through treatments, it’s a rollercoaster-you deal with in-laws, society, friends, there’s a lot going on.”

“People who get married and have children don’t know how lucky they are. I mean you are even careful not to get pregnant again, you are so blessed by God, you should thank God every day. It is not easy to find yourself in a situation where your friends are doing school runs, you don’t know what that is, you don’t even know what your first trimester is. The friends you had bridal showers with are having baby showers, it takes the grace of God to remain sane, honestly.”

“I had tears in my eyes when I told God, ‘you know what? This is enough. You are going to do it when You want to do it, in Your own time and if You are not going to do it, let it be left undone. This is You. I trust You. Right now, it’s ok, I’m going to live my life. I found out that I had stopped living, because that was all I wanted. I said no, I’m going to be happy, live my life and leave it all to God. I’m grateful to God for my own family, for the family I’m married into.”

“My focus now is to help others, one at a time. I want to make a family happy and with the help of God, their prayers would be answered. I know the pain and what it feels like. It will give me joy to see them jumping and rejoicing, saying that they are expecting their own children. I have seen it happen. I have seen the two sides during my course of treatment. I said God help me, let me do this. When you focus on helping others, you don’t know the blessings that come back to you. It is difficult but I said Lord you have put this in me, You have to provide. You know when God gives you a vision, He makes the provision. I have been amazed at the response. It is unbelievable.

“When I was going through some treatment, I would get to the clinic and someone who has just done a pregnancy test was being told that it didn’t work, it was always so devastating for me to hear them wonder aloud where they would get money for the next treatment. I have met women who came to the hospital to get the treatment but they couldn’t afford it. Some couldn’t even afford the test to know what was wrong. I have also met women who decided to share their burden, this is how financially draining this treatment can be. If you have extra eggs, you can sell them in exchange for the treatment. When women share eggs left from a successful IVF on another women or they use the woman’s extra cycle that has been paid for, these are ways women support one another because getting an egg donor can be very expensive.”

“It is so strange and funny, but when you sit back and think about it, every family has somebody who is waiting on God for a child. The person might be your cousin or mum’s sister. There are certain ways we will treat the person. But do you know that there are certain ways we treat somebody else coming into our family with the same issue? We don’t treat them the same. It is not intentional. If you have in-laws who are not nice to you, they will think it’s your fault. They will call you names, talk down on you. If your in-laws have somebody in their family who is waiting, they will never speak to the person like that. We really need to have a support system and also learn to put ourselves in other people’s shoes.”

1. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 4, 2016 at 9:49 pm

God is your strength, at the right time they will come. Children that will bring you joy and not the ones that come with sorrow and pain on the parents.

2. Thatgidigirl

September 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm

God bless youbIbidun for the joy you are about to bring to their lives. My prayer for you is that God gives you the joy and the strength in this waiting period that would usher in the kind of testimony that would silence your mockers.

3. Great Lady

September 4, 2016 at 10:17 pm

This is so touching. As you put smiles on the faces of people, the Lord will bless you with your own children. Children who will call you blessed. Amen
    Memoirsofagreatlady.com

4. Ijeoma

September 4, 2016 at 10:30 pm

As I read this, tears streamed down my face. I’m so touched by your generosity. I’m TTC too and it’s been tough. We cant even afford the tests. Dear Mrs Ighodalo, you will surely receive your miracle babies soon. God bless you for putting a smile on the faces of those 28 couples.

• Naijatalk

September 4, 2016 at 11:36 pm

God will put a smile on your face soon with your own bundle of joy in Jesus name. E-hugs

• ATL's finest

September 5, 2016 at 12:25 am

@ Ijeoma daryln 🙂 Smile for God loves U the most. Even tears travels fast to God as prayers. Don’t forget, Burdens are lifted to Calvary. I pray that the God lord who did it for my aunts in their 40’s & 50’s after a long time of marriage will do urs IJN. I decree a set of Twins for U IJN & yours won’t be delayed as theirs IJN. I don’t know U but hold on to FAITH. U may not have the $$$ for the test, but God that answereth by Fire is still your God. This is the 9th month ( Sept) meaning Sufficiency. U will ve a new song on your lips soonest IJN.

• Iyanda

September 5, 2016 at 2:17 am

God will provide Ijeoma.
      Ibidun one of the most beautiful women. Such a class act. My uncle and his wife waited for 10years then adopted a girl. It was actually recently we found out she’s adopted. After that, his wife gave birth to two boys three years apart. You bless others, God turns around to bless you greatly.

• nene+

September 5, 2016 at 7:08 am

@ Ijeoma God will not forget you. Its so draining! I pray the Good Lord will show up for you cos indeed only He can give children.

Ibidun may God bless you and reward you with fruit of the womb!
      I know of a lady whose IVF treatment was cancelled because the only egg she produced disappeared on the day of extraction. Little did she know that God has gone ahead to fertilise that sole egg and today she has her bundle of joy. It could have been non else than God! What would have been her chance for one egg in an IVF cycle?

• AceOfSpades

September 5, 2016 at 8:16 am

Ijeoma You will see God’s fav IJN. You will testify to God’s goodness. God in his infinite mercy will give you REASONS to smile and the smile will never ever wear off.

My sister got pregnant after 4 years of marriage. You need to see the way people take swipe at her. They’d even tell me straight to my face that it’s because she was wayward as a single person. If that felt bad for me, I wonder how bad the ‘owner’ of the talk gan gan will feel.

May the God of gods, the King of Kings grant you all your good heart desires. I don’t pity you Ijeoma because I know God is always working on your case. Infact I am envying you already!

• le coco

September 5, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Ijeoma.. I pray for you… YOU WILL TESTIFY OF GOD’S GOODNESS.. MARK IT!!! The day that your BN fan prayed for you.. BN WILL PUBLISH YOUR TESTIMONY… God sees , he hears.. He is preparing the perfect angel that will fit into your family so effortlessly.. don’t rush God.. He is preparing a master piece for you. God bless. and chin up..

• Chiola

September 6, 2016 at 6:24 am

You are fruitful and will multiply in Jesus name.

5. The Real Oma

September 4, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Oh, this is so touching. Ibidun, God will bless you, He will hear you, He will wipe your tears. He never forgets his own, He never breaks His promises, He will visit you at His own appointed time, AMEN!

6. The real D

September 4, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I remember very recently I was consumed by something that I wanted badly and one day as I was praying God led me to go listen to I surrender all on youtube. This was right smack in the middle of my prayers. I thought to myself what will learn from a song that I know off the top of my head but guess what the first video that popped up was the one Faith Hill sang on one of her appearances on Oprah show. (I am not an Oprah or Oprah show fan. I actually favor Cece Winans version of that song). In that version, Oprah spoke about what the song meant to her and her role in the movie color purple. She had desired this so bad that it had consumed her totally, (you can listen to Oprah’s story on you tube). I realized that was where I was, I wanted this so bad, it consumed me so completely, it had taken God’s place. God wanted me to surrender it all not just by lip service but my thoughts and actions. My hubby and I are trusting God for babies too and every day I consciously tell God ” I surrender all”, not my will but thine alone. It is a struggle but it has become my mantra, every time I sense that overwhelming feeling trying to come over me, I sing the song or just play it.
    The pressure is there but I refuse to let it get to me, yes friends and family probably not being intentionally hurtful but are, story for another day and article. God help us all??????

• Kay

September 4, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for sharing. Stumbled on Oprah’s ‘surrender’ story a while back and something in me shifted. Posting it here for anyone who needs proof that all will be well, somehow: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjYRLX4ukO4

• Memento

September 5, 2016 at 12:38 pm

God bless your heart! Thanks for the story; I can relate to how in the quest of chasing a dream/something we let it displace God in our heart.. add No one knows by Sinach; Victory belongs to Jesus by Todd & No longer a slave to your playlist. Focus on God’s word. “Joy is both intentional & spontaneous”- pst Segun Onayinka.

7. Kenny Ola

September 4, 2016 at 11:08 pm

My o my Ibidun the Lord will answer you, this brought tears to my eyes .well done .the Lord will smile on you for making other people happy .i am indeed touched and impressed .this is a very rare heart and move

8. Bukola

September 4, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I couldn’t stop reading the interview , I was so glued to it that I wondered what sort of human will do this .i have learnt a lot from this though difficult to not only look out for myself but to also look out for others .
    Ibidun ighodalo , as the Lord lives you will rejoice yourself . I am so so touched by your story .well done and God bless.
    Real lesson to be learnt here

9. CurvesAndEdges

September 4, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Ibidun, God bless you – you are beautiful in and out. God will give you joy that knows no bounds.

I’m curious: do couples who have struggled with infertility for prolonged periods consider adoption? So many beautiful babies out there….

• Purplieciousbabe

September 5, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I agree.
      Too many children praying for a new mummy and daddy. 🙁

10. Nystyle

September 4, 2016 at 11:19 pm

A pastors wife and believer saying other women are “lucky”…u r not ready for that “blessing”.

• HereToCallNystyleAMoron

September 4, 2016 at 11:23 pm

You my dear are a MORON

• busola

September 4, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Away with your negativity!!!!!!!! She doesn’t mean it in a bad way, she is only talking about how she feels. Please let her be honest in peace! Surely, you haven’t been in a dark place where all you need is a miracle. If not, you will be kinder. And I sincerely pray you never get to that point in life.

• Anon

September 5, 2016 at 1:30 am

Favoured is the word right?

• stanley

September 5, 2016 at 2:04 am

I have actually heard a Pastor saying there is nothing like luck in the bible. That we are blessed not lucky. But King Solomon through Ecclesiastics does not think so..

Ecclesiastes 9:11
      “I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.”

See definition of luck – “success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions”.

Based on this scripture it appears luck is scriptural except you have a scripture that nolifies this

• Ann1

September 6, 2016 at 2:43 pm

OMG shut up!!!!!!!! Nigerians are so stupid.

• Vaughn K

September 6, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Dude, you are an insensitive pathetic piece of mortal error. You are the real example of the kind insensitive souls she mentioned in her interview. If you don’t have anything encouraging to say why don’t you just zip it. I have been waiting for over 10 years and do you have a clue how tough that is. (Restraining my tongue not to spill what’s in my head). It take a lot of courage to make her issue public and selfless seek others well being. And those who liked your comment are as pathetic as you are. Lord have mercy on you for that comment and please go read your bible on what should come out of your mouth at all times.

• DaSage

September 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm

When people start to accuse others especially in the manner you have. It usually a sign of their link with the devil. And then to have the audacity to play God to the extent that you think you can open your mouth to say when someone is ready for a blessing or not only further suggest the strong link to the devil because ONLY the devil tries to play God. I have only two words for you – “Be Wise!” . My prayer is that you get your deliverance before it is too late.

11. Busarni

September 4, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Beautiful woman with beautiful heart

12. Kike

September 4, 2016 at 11:42 pm

My goodness . Beautiful woman with a beautiful heart .This is the height of honesty , you can hear her speaking from her heart , not pretending to be a spiritual person . I am so proud of this woman . Showing the whole world her life is not perfect and trusting God ,she has her struggles as we all do and same emotions run through us all ,her level of honesty has blown my mind and her explanation of discrimination hmm topic for another day .i hope the society hears her as she speaks on all our behalf pls be more sensitive to us and let us live like normal human beings . Bless you mrs ighodalo . You have really made my year .i saw my mother-in-law reading the interview and I was leaping with joy pretending not to know what she was reading . Just slipped into bed and for the 1st time in a long time she said goodnight to me atleast it’s a start . I truly believe she felt guilty of what Ibidun was saying and her own daughter is also waiting . This is the beginning of peace I hope in my home . Goodnite bellanaija fams , I thought to share

• Sweetzababe

September 5, 2016 at 12:31 pm

My God Kike you made me cry, I am 39 not married , no child but sometimes pressure comes. I still have joy. Please note that God will answer you all soon and I will celebrate with you In Jesus name. May your family , mother in law and others receive grace to be kind to you all out there. Please hold on to God as both rich and poor are going through this. It breaks me when I see stories of babies dumped somewhere yet ……… It is well with you. Love you all.

Abeg mail me for your testimony or you wan laff small. God bless you [email protected]yahoo.com

13. Mr. Egghead

September 4, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Even though the fig tree does not blossom
    nor grapes on the vine
    Thought the labour of the olive may fail
    and the fields may yield no food
    Yet, I will rejoice in the Lord
    I will joy in the Lord of my salvation

Mrs. Ighodalo is clearly a selfless woman; a testimony of the hand of God.
    God will wipe her every tear and give her peace.
    Amen

14. ako

September 4, 2016 at 11:49 pm

God bless you. This cross can be mind numbing. Puts you in a permanent numb state if you don’t hang on to God for sanity and survive on his grace. God bless your work

15. Yetunde

September 4, 2016 at 11:55 pm

It’s a place no woman should be ….really painful and agonising . Some people would not let you carry their Babies thinking you don’t have the experience , if they don’t their mum might mind . Well maybe I would have behaved liked that but Ibidun is so correct , you can almost go insane.Am glad someone is speaking up for us .pls be more sensitive to us because we stand on the word that says none shall be barren in the land amen

• Ann

September 5, 2016 at 10:45 am

Yetunde,
      I know that feeling, I was there for 10 yrs waiting on God for fruit of the womb. I helped a mother carry her baby for Dedication in church and after the service, you needed to see the way her own mother (i.e the baby’s grandmother) snatched the child away from me as if I was a bad omen to the child. An elderly woman (a minister in the church) saw what happened and told me not to worry that God will surely answer my prayers. And He has answered, today am a mother, not just a mother, but a mother of twins. Keep trusting God and live your life. He will sure come thruogh for you. E-Hugs dear, your miracle babies are on their way to you.

16. Disguised

September 5, 2016 at 12:03 am

A lady I met far away from Nig, was going through the same pressure after 5 going to 6 years of marriage. So she decided to leave the country with her husband to study while he found a job.

She got pregnant in no time. She felt less pressure away from Lagos, Nig and family members. And it happened. I think pressure and stress is nt helping most ladies living around relatives. Move away and relax into ur new environment and keep praying. God Bless everyone waiting on The Lord for a fruit or fruitssssssssssssss, Amen.

• Abk

September 5, 2016 at 12:37 am

Good story for the lady you met. However, sometimes, even with no pressure and stress; for some people it takes time to happen and for some people it doesn’t even happen.
      My friends Mom is knocking on 50 and she’s still waiting; kind of given up. Regardless, I’m hopeful that God will do something in his own time.

• Anon

September 5, 2016 at 1:29 am

“My friends Mom is knocking on 50 and she’s still waiting?”

She’s a mother already.

• Titi

September 5, 2016 at 8:54 pm

So true,after I had my son exactly 9 months of marriage,my MIL started to mount pressure on me for a second child because my son was going to 4 years,i was so stressed I started treatments and it didn’t turn out fine well today I have a girl, I had to avoid her,prayed to God.

17. Nystyle

September 5, 2016 at 12:13 am

@Nystyle, you are an idiot and very very stupid for that statement you made, you are part of the problem women TTC have, if you lack understanding then shout up instead of saying she is not ready for her blessing, i so hate you right now for that statement

18. Ada Chineke

September 5, 2016 at 1:34 am

Ur friend is adopted I presume??

19. ...just saying

September 5, 2016 at 6:27 am

“There are names you don’t want to call a woman that is looking up to God.”” .

Ladies, ladies, ladies, stop making fertility a woman issue. I know several men who it actually comes from It takes two to have a baby not one woman.

20. Mystique

September 5, 2016 at 7:50 am

Nigerians have no chill; this is the same way they torment ladies waiting on the Lord for their life partners with insensitive remarks. I’ve been told I’m too “choosy”…… Whatever that means. Nigerians need to calm down. Some people have it easy, others don’t; this is life. Let us learn to show more empathy cos we can’t even imagine what people go through during the waiting period.

21. Chigurl

September 5, 2016 at 8:20 am

Ibidun as you help others God will answer your prays.I want you to hold on to faith it will surely happen very soon,sooner than u expected.I TTC for some years I didn’t feel the pressure much cos I was not in Nigeria but despite that I kept friends at arm lenght,I went off social media. But today I can’t thank God enough.Allah it wasn’t by my power but you gave me hope,you blessed me with a baby girl now 2months,Alhamdulillah.I pray that everybody that is waiting onto God will be blessed with their bundle of joy in the next nine months. It is not easy because I’ve been there but worry less find something that will occupy u and makes u think less.
    Lastly,I want to use my experience to enlighten people that usually say dont go for myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroid) I did ultrasound and HSG which shows I have big fibroid blocking my right tube and I was scheduled for surgery which was a day case surgery I did it in the US and lo and behold I missed my period the following month.Although my doctor said we should wait for 3 months but we couldn’t and I carried the pregnancy without complications and I gave birth through c-section (cos I cant give birth through vaginal again cos of risk of uterine rupture) but no matter how u give birth the joy is to have healthy baby (I know people are always afraid of c-section).Please don’t say you won’t remove the fibroid if it is the reason causing your infertility.
    God I will always be grateful.

22. Nene

September 5, 2016 at 8:27 am

Can I just say something. If someone or a couple really want a child, why not adopt? Or even provide foster care. People with children even adopt.

23. kim jay

September 5, 2016 at 8:31 am

what’s the big deal about having kids?? Africa torments women who don’t have kids after marriage, they also torment women who Haven’t married and are above a certain age, u all need to chill. Is it everyone that will have kids?? children are being abandoned and left for dead every single day, are they not kids that someone suffered to bear?? you all act like having kids or getting married is the biggest thing in the world, guess what?? it’s not. You want kids, I don’t want kids. You have absolutely no right to insult or look down on me because I choose not to give birth or I can’t naturally. I’m so sick of people. making bad comments. about women who can’t have children. Sometimes, it’s not their fault, other times, they choose not to. Face your own life and leave others alone. Just because you give birth every year doesn’t mean you’re better than anybody.

24. Beth

September 5, 2016 at 9:10 am

Thank you dear one for sharing. Giving birth to children is not as easy as people think. It never has been and it never will be. I think that is the challenge that many women are not aware of. We fail to equip young adults about that area from a young age. We all think it is a given. The big lie that you just have sex and get pregnant. Or the myth that medical contraception has no side effects. My auntie had 10 miscarriages before she gave birth to my cousin. As I hear this lovely lady share her story regarding waiting to give birth to children. A thought lingers in my mind and I hope I am permitted to share. Nigeria has a plethora of children abandoned and in need for adoption. Why are we not pining too adopt. Is the innate desire to have a child more about giving birth and having a child look like us? or is it about being able to mother a child? And in the midst of these desires have we as Nigerian women found our identity and value in being able to give birth to children? Event if the latter is true I know it is important that everyone has the right to their choices on this topic Its interesting especially as the Christian faith has us adopted into body of Christ through salvation. Yet the idea of adopting children does no warrant the same power of God. I’m not saying this is what the lovely lady has said. However it just has me in thoughts.

For anyone who has ever considered adopting and has questions. This site has some great material for the journey

25. Grace

September 5, 2016 at 9:24 am

You never know how difficult life is until you are TTC… It just takes the grace of God.

26. Nuna

September 5, 2016 at 9:32 am

For every woman seeking the fruit of the womb here, the Lord of hosts will visit you and wipe your tears. You will be fruitful and multiply because it has been decreed. This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen

27. Nk

September 5, 2016 at 10:13 am

Where can one sell her eggs in Abuja? I want to help out

• sell or give?

September 5, 2016 at 11:35 am

Sell or give which one?

Some people can do anything fo rmoney
      just read on SDK where your sister kill pig and did all kind of rituals just for money
      i fear you people o

• sala

September 5, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Must you sell? If you want to help out, help!! Must you SELL?

• tunmi

September 6, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Why not sell??? In sure she has financial obligations of her own or just wants to be fairly compensated.

• Selfish reputation tribe

September 5, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Is that help?!!! Where can you exploit other people’s misfortune to nourish your greed,you mean? Is people like you that sell dead eggs if you ever had the chance. May God deliver you.

• sade

September 5, 2016 at 9:05 pm

My dear, had that same question to when I read this interview on sdk earlier. Am in Lagos though. Please any ideas?

28. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

September 5, 2016 at 10:38 am

No woman is barren.

You’ll have children.

Do not stress yourself.

Just eat well. Embrace Joy. Rest in His presence.

Spend time with toddlers, babies, children from the ages of 0 – 10.

Be their favourite aunty.

Probably, adopt a child first. Be good to the adopted child.

God in Heaven is a big miracle worker. He will see you through in Jesus name Amen.

29. Donor

September 5, 2016 at 10:45 am

Please where can one donate eggs to. I want to give it out for free.

• Seffy

September 5, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Donating your eggs is very dangerous. The process might cause irreversible harm. You can google the side effects.

30. artklub

September 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

There is God’s timing…ur freedom is ur gift…make the most of it. Be grateful for what u have.

31. Niola

September 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

I feel so silly honestly….God forgive me, here I am asking and crying to God for a particular gender when I don’t know what he has blessed me with. Ibidun in the name of Jesus Christ, your children shall be like olive plants around the table, It is God’s plan that you will be fruitful and multiply, none shall be barren, the number of your days he will fulfil and to all those looking for children, May your testimony come soon in jesus name.

32. Not Bitter Kola

September 5, 2016 at 11:51 am

Thank you Ibidun for speaking out. Women who have babies without even trying are forever grateful to God for the blessing and the opportunities as they wish it in other women who pray to God for blessed kids. Let me honestly say that sometimes I get confused as to how to act around women in waiting, sometimes, women who say things aren’t necessarily trying to come across as rude, excluding those who are down right rude.

May God bless all women and men in waiting with good and blessed children and you Ibidun, may your days of waiting make it seem like it was worth it all.

33. ms.jake

September 5, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Now, why am i crying reading this!. i’m not TTC but i have a few friends who are…so i can totally relate. Pls stay strong Ibidun and nvr give up on God cos He wouldnt give up on u. And the zlord remembered Rachel, He listened to her and opened her womb (Gen. 30:22)…This is ur testimony too. God wld def remember you even as you help other women with your foundation. He makes everything beautiful in His time I hear the sound of abundance…i celebrate you, i celebrate your strong faith and good heart. God bless you

34. Ntianu

September 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Women. Please. I beg you in God’s name. Please be mindful of what you put into your bodies. Is it Gods intention that we pump ourselves full of artificial hormones to be able to have babies? I know Of two women that underwent this IVF procedure and are now undergoing breast cancer treatment. The cost of the cancer treatment is astronomical. One has even been given a very low chance of survival. Her cost is about $250k for 6 months of treatment and she has been told that this will be a life time treatment. How was the IVF worth it if the cost eventually outweighs the benefit? Why push the hands of God, trying to force Him to your will. Should it not be the other way around? There are consequences for doing this. The consequences may not be immediate, but there are consequences eventually. Please trying and have babies the way God intended- natural. Let your in-laws, friends, and whoever else leave their lives; you have yours to live. Who will save you from the consequences of pushing God’s hands? When those consequences come you will realize you have no family, friends, etc that can help you out of it. Everyone has their own lives to live. Please do what you feel is best for you and to maintain this body that God has given us.

A word is enough for the Wise.

• Anon

September 5, 2016 at 2:57 pm

” I know Of two women that underwent this IVF procedure and are now undergoing breast cancer treatment.”

I know one as well who did hers in Nigeria and she’s now battling breast cancer. They overdosed her on the hormones.

I have not heard of anyone where I live (not Nigeria) who had this problem. Let it happen and a law suit beckons.

35. fab

September 5, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Dear Ibidun,
    I truly feel your pain! I waited for just 11 months and I can’t find the ideal word to explain how miserable I was! I remember crying each time I got my period… memories!. Please let me reassure you that God truly never fails! I got a lot of spiritual upliftment and motivation from reading God’s waiting room written by a Nigerian and spiritual child birth…. bless the writer!. I’ll enclosed you to arm yourself with such books and cds that would boost your faith! I am now a joyous mother of 3 beautiful and blessed children…. . Your case will not be different sist! Just hold on to the word of God, he will do what he has promised!
    I join you in faith and prayers…. you will testify!!

• ForMsFab

September 5, 2016 at 4:01 pm

You waited for 11 months? Infertility is defined as the inability of a sexually active, non-contracepting couple to achieve pregnancy in ONE YEAR. I know you’re trying to encourage and uplift and I understand you must have felt terrible while you ‘waited’, but… i’m not sure this is empathy you are expressing. My two cents

• fab

September 5, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Please stop being judgmental. I never said I was infertile! … you just don’t get it do you??? I was desperate to get pregnant immediately after marriage…. being expectant and disappointed irrespective of the timming isn’t a joke! I know it was ONLY 11 months.. but na who wear shoes know where dey pain am! So madam judge keep your opinions to your self and learn to WAKA PASS if you don’t have any thing nice to say!

• meee

September 6, 2016 at 6:32 pm

.,…life is a journey. n everyone has his time of walk while in it. someone’s 3months can be 1year for someone else. the focus is on the experience not on the timing. someone could go through more hell in 1 month than another person in 10 years in waiting! be sensitive!

• Salvation is now

September 7, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I have been there, it’s not the short length, it is how much you want it o. A friend of ours planned to wait for a year. They planned it that way so not having a child after one year should not be an issue for such. I can understand where fab is coming from. If you want children immediately after marriage, 6months will look very long. Finally, remember the fact that some people got married in their 30’s or 40’s.

36. Ever Green

September 5, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Madam Ibidunni, you have a very big heart and I pray that God will meet you at the point of your needs in Jesus name and I pray you will carry your own bundle of joy very soon.You will be happy and whatever you lay your hands upon shall be fruitful.
    When I saw IVF advert Ibidunni foundation on bellanaija around May 2016 I told myself I need to apply for my sister after 10 years of Marriage and I am so happy they called them and they are still on it and I pray may almighty God perfect it in Jesus name.
    When I told my sister about she was eager and excited because to be candid she and her husband cant afford IVF but the miracle came in form of Ibidunni Foundation, they did not collect a dime from them.
    God will bless the work of your hands Madam Ibidunni Ighodalo for making her really laugh.

37. Ndaa

September 6, 2016 at 9:19 am

I was there for some years…the worst people might not even come from the in-law but from the church. May God be gracious t o all that are waiting.

38. Iyke Ndubuisi

September 6, 2016 at 9:48 am

My dear sister, The Lord will not forget your labour of love, it shall not be in vane. Sooner rather than later, you and your household shall be celebrated in Jesus name, Amen!

39. DapOjo

September 6, 2016 at 10:28 am

God so not neglect His own and of course knows why this is on,my sister and wife Got will do it I know,Consider it done In the mighty name of Jesus.

40. Ade

September 6, 2016 at 11:50 am

God bless your heart dear. I am also in your shoes, so I definitely know how you feel. Anyone hasn’t walked in our shoes can’t know what it feels like. We shall celebrate soon, and others shall celebrate us in Jesus name , Amen

41. AFOL

September 6, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Genesis Chapter 1 vs 28-29. As I read the Bible I understand that God did not say anyone should be barren. God loves fruitfulness. You will be fruitful In Jesus Name. Amen.

42. Ayana

September 6, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Bless your heart Ibidun.

43. Abimbola

September 6, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I am so touched by this post, may Almighty God look down form heaven, show you mercy and open your womb. Dryness, emptiness,and barrenness have come to an end in your life In Jesus Name. You are celebrated already !!! Hallelujah.

44. meee

September 6, 2016 at 6:28 pm

…I remember telling God when on my waiting period that I didn’t want to go through this to help someone else whose hurting. but now I see that its so much more beautiful to come out of something difficult and have a story to tell that heals others in pain. God bless you and keep up the good work

45. Vaughn K

September 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm

@Nystyle Dude, you are an insensitive pathetic piece of mortal error. You are the real example of the kind of insensitive souls she mentioned in her interview. If you don’t have anything encouraging to say why don’t you just zip it. I have been waiting for over 10 years and do you have a clue how tough that is. (Restraining my tongue not to spill what’s in my head). It take a lot of courage to make her issue public and selflessly seek others well being. And those who liked your comment are as pathetic as you are. Lord have mercy on you for that comment and please go read your bible on what should come out of your mouth at all times.

46. Ijeoma

September 7, 2016 at 10:51 am

Wow! I’m overwhelmed by your show of love @Naijatalk, @ATL’S finest, @Iyanda, @nene+, @AcesOfSpades, @le coco, @Chiola. Thank you for your kind words and prayers. Amen! God bless you all.

47. aramide

September 7, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I can actually relate to everything said; and am really overwhelmed by your show of love towards what other people are going through;I’ve being waiting for over a decade now; but I know God will show forth;cause I’ve surrendered to him. Sis, let keep holding on;for he will definitely show forth himself in our case! Shalom

48. Ime Icon

September 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Some things should not be forgotten or taken for grants especially the goodness of God. God bless u and sustain the foundation !

49. Inyama Gift

October 14, 2016 at 1:37 pm

God is always there for us no matter what we face in this world he knows it all, I love your faith and I stick to the promises of God.

50. Abi

October 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Dear Lord, Please answer my prayers. i am ready, my womb is ready, my back is ready. dry my tears Lord, i write this here because i don’t ever talk to anyone about this, i dont need their pity. Lord answer me