Scoop

Comedian MC Abbey Reacts to Criticism of Comedy in Church Meetings

BellaNaija.com

mc-abbeyMC Abbey, a comedian with a gospel background has reacted to the call for elimination of gospel comedy in church meetings and events.

Mike Bamiloye, the president of Mount Zion Faith Ministries International (a Christian Film/Drama organisation), had criticised invitation of comedians to churches because laughing at “jokes of scriptures, the Blood of Jesus, speaking in tongues, the throne of grace etc,” is a mockery of God.

MC Abbey took to Instagram to share his opinion, saying that about that decades ago, drama was condemned in the church. He added that people should not try to “box God and play God”. He wrote:

I read all this ungodly write-ups against gospel comedy in church by respected people and I just wonder…

30yrs ago that’s how drama was condemned in the church by people who like to box God and play God until they saw the light. There reasons to them were valid bcos the alter is sacred so nor drama acts should be on the alter… Did it hold?… U can’t fight what God has blessed, yes there is need to caution some comedians likewise musicians and preacher who do erroneously but Pls do not insult or discredit the place of gospel comedy in church cos u will be making a great mistake…

I take out time in prayers and fasting to prepare bfr climbing and alter for inspiration and I get it and u are there trying to discredit my relationship with God vis-a-vis my ministry as a comedian cos u don’t understand it and later u say the Holy Spirit told u plssssss just shut up ! Wch Holy Spirit, the one that I get inspiration from or another or do we now have two Holy Spirit setting confusion in the body of Christ or just some people with shallow revelation of our faith sounding spiritual…

Don’t get things and people confused gospel comedy is not jesting, jesting means coarse and vulgar, we don’t do that so stop quoting scriptures out of context…eph5:4(amp version)  Let there be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse [obscene or vulgar] joking, because such things are not appropriate [for believers]; but instead speak of your thankfulness [to God]…now that’s jesting and authentic gospel comedians don’t Jest…#beenlightened #enoughsaid

1. www.ckjacob.com

December 14, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Yawning….
    The weather is so hot!
    2016 please come and go oooo! We are tired of you!
    2017 must be better in Jesus name. AMEN!!

• Amaka

December 14, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Some jokes can be sacrilegious actually. You may be different but boundaries must be set so comedians don’t cross them. Christian drama is totally different from comedy. People actually get born again, repent and change lifestyles. You need to check out Mike Bamiloye’s drama on YouTube. May the Holy Spirit continue to help us all. Amen.

2. nonyeinspired

December 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm

McAbbey yes you are a comedian but I can attest to the fact that your jokes at the experience were out-of-taste and was not funny at all..Try another line next year cause you were almost sounding blasphemous..**myopinion**

3. I love my husband

December 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm

the drama has begun…im not on any ones side, I believe if you are a Christian and you have the sprit of God, the spirit tells us and convicts of on what is right and wrong..I hereby say according to the scriptures -paraphrased..”Let everyone be fully persuaded…………………….” Selah. Gods ways are not our ways so if a man says he was convicted by the spirit that he has peace on what hes doing, then so be it, same way a deeper life member can never see reason as to why I will wear trousers or not cover my head in church..thats their own doctrine and conviction, totally different from mine. I have Gods spirit and he leads me into all truth. So as a comedian , if you are fully persuaded, go ahead. And if Mike Bamiloye thinks otherwise, we cant fault him too. Comedy I know is not wrong in church, its when the comedians speak blasphemy about the name of God that I wouldn’t agree to. Christianity, I have realized is a personal walk with God, you have to know God and search scriptures for yourself, not because your pastor, a comedian or a man of God says so. I have started preaching..Bye

4. A Real Nigerian

December 14, 2016 at 3:15 pm

There’s a big difference between drama and comedy though.
    Basically everyone can handle a good religious drama as long as it passes across a message and/or moral lesson. However, not everyone can take a joke – especially a religious one.

• Prince Charming

December 14, 2016 at 4:17 pm

@A Real Nigeria, I can’t believe this! It’s incredible! Your post is making a lot of sense. What happened to you? Did Athena visit you? I love your comment and I agree with it.

• LemmeRant

December 14, 2016 at 4:34 pm

@Prince Charming

I’ve said it here before. Topics on Religion, Business, Finance, Career, Politics: most women on here are spot on with their analysis.

But when it comes to Relationships and Nigerian Men………………………………………………………………

• Prince Charming

December 14, 2016 at 4:58 pm

@LemmeRant, Lolzzzz…. I totally agree.

5. o

December 14, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I guess you fasted and got revelation before telling another to “just shut up”. Anyway I’m personally not against comedy in church. But a lot of these comedians drag the scriptures and the name of the Lord in the mud. If it can be clean, good comedy, why not??

6. keke driver

December 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm

He had to just respond….Congrats, you just made BN…..Can we please move on?

7. I said what I said

December 14, 2016 at 3:34 pm

So when they call comedians, this one too also stands up.
    Shior!

8. FinchleysFinest

December 14, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I dont even know who to support.

We have comedians in my church(There’s even a special department for them..dont ask me where ) They never use some words like bro J..etc Most times we learn from the Jokes…

Some jokes are bad in church….

To say Church is a serious place for no jokes is a way too far i think. We pray… worship and events like end of the year church anniversaries….they should be some time to laugh over few jokes …

Again..it depends on the sort of jOKE… BUT to put all gospel comedian in the same category is unfair.

9. Mo'Diva

December 14, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Rude Abbey

10. I said what I said

December 14, 2016 at 3:44 pm

So this one too is a comedian.

11. The real D

December 14, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Yesterday, I had tried responding to a comment on BN about this comedy issue but for some reason BN would not let me (kept giving me an error message). Hopefully this time I get to post my thoughts on this topic

Now, back to the issue at hand. I do not agree with Mr. Bamiloye because if we go back to read his point of view, the crux of his argument was with the content (I.e that SOME contents by SOME Comedians ridiculed God) but in the same write up asked that we should go to weddings if we needed comedy. So, my first thought was do you have problems with the content or do you have problems with the platform? Are you saying it is ok to ridicule God as long as it is outside a “church” gathering?

Secondly, that some comedians may not understand some things and may be inappropriate with their jokes does not mean all comedians are guilty of the same thing. The comment I was going to respond had said “if we get them by entertainment, we have to keep them by entertainment”. Bear in my mind, yes I am a Christian but not a pastor or a pastor’s wife, infact far from it but the logic of the statement above is seriously flawed and has no practical or spiritual backing. Let’s consider companies, many companies in my part of the world have various events at schools and in their communities to draw people in and to recruit, once you start working however, do they keep entertaining you to keep you??? Nope, they don’t. Do you stay anyway? Yep. Now let’s use the Experience event being discussed, the basis was entertainment but was the gospel preached? Was God’s presence felt. ( I have never been to this event and for the first time I actually watched on Facebook live and no I did not find either this dude or Akpororo’s content funny but I am guessing that has to do with my sense of humor). Have lives been changed by this event?

I know I might be in the minority here, but I have had the opportunity of listening to Chonda Pierce and Tim Hawkins (who wrote Carrie Underwood’s Jesus take the wheel). These are Christian comedians that keep it clean, but again in our society if it has no Jesus in it . It is not “Christianly” enough. My God , is all powerful, Great, thunder roaring, and yes all consuming fire, but He is more than that, He is loving, kind, gentle and more importantly He has a sense of humor (psalm 2:4). If we look at Jesus’ life the times people were drawn to him was when he connected with them, eating with them (Matthew), performing miracles and while yes He still drove out traders from the temple, the people that he already connected with and believed ,stayed, because they had come to believe . It is for this same reasons Churches are always and should always seek ways to connect and entertainment as we put it, is one of those ways. I doubt any real Minister believes it is by their power or might but for people to see God in you or me, they have to come close (to at least viewing distance of us) then the Holy Spirit can do his work.

I guess what I am trying to say is, to ban comedy in church is actually throwing the baby out with the water. The problem is not comedy in the church but the contents of some jokes we generally make as Christians, comedy or not, and that should be our focus.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 14, 2016 at 4:42 pm

You, my dear, are the real deal. You took the words right outta my keyboard. Sometimes, in trying to abstain from one extreme, we fall languidly into the other and mistake the feeling for righteous piousness. That can be plain awful, especially when it is good-intentioned.

• Engoz

December 14, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I had this conversation with my partner and one word that was consistent with our conversation which you now make mention of is ‘EXTREME’. I have come to understand that it not about comedy. If it’s about comedy, I personally will ban Nigerian comedians in both secular and religious settings because they lack the politeness of speech and are not sensitive to the kind of audience present. The comedy is often crass, repetitive, more theatrical than witty. But that is just my sentimental opinion. It’s just that whether we choose to be conservative or liberal in our approach in life, there is just the tendency for certain characters to take it to the extreme. Finding moderation between this two ideologies is a battle humanity is yet to win. I pray for balance in my life whereby I’m not too conservative and come across as judgmental or too liberal and become so unserious and there are no limits to my boundaries.

Ecclesiastes 7:15

In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these: the righteous perishing in their righteousness, and the wicked living long in their wickedness. 16Do not be overrighteous,
      neither be overwise—why destroy yourself? 17Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
      why die before your time? 18It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. Whoever fears God will avoid all extremes.

Now, if God is the giver of gifts, should comedians not use their talents to make God’s people laugh? Gospel comedy is a new development, there is no organized structure yet for it. They church should develop a structure for these talents to exist. It’s because there has not been any plan laid out, that’s why it appears disorganized and anyone can mount up the stage to say trash. I’m not privy to what MC Abbey said, but he also should understand that an opposing argument is not necessarily an attack. There was no need for some of the language used in his statement. There are times in the history of Christianity where there were disagreement between the apostles. Mike Bamiloye started a conversation which I believe was necessary. A gift like comedy needs a better structure for the talents in the church to excel.

12. Segun

December 14, 2016 at 3:59 pm

God cannot be put in a box. True.

But God remains the same yesterday, today and forever, and what He hated yesterday, He still loathes today. Contemporary Christianity has so made light of the Holy Spirit that I wont be surprised to hear one day (that is, if it is not happening already) that someone will take another’s wife and claim that it is by the Holy Spirit’s prompting.
    The church and/or religious gathering is meant to be SACRED, and the Bible sums up our responsibilities as regards speech is paraphrased as below:

Our words should not be corrupt…or vulgar…but should edify the hearer(s) ….it should be of good report…and enhance virtue (Ephesians 4:29, Philippians 4:8)

Making light of the things of God… is blatantly WRONG.

13. that uptown girl

December 14, 2016 at 4:10 pm

With a language like this? Holy spirit gives you inspiration? Mike passed his message across without being rude or anything. He should learn to do same.

14. @edDREAMZ

December 14, 2016 at 4:14 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    God is over rated abeg…. Nonsense talks…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Abi

December 14, 2016 at 4:32 pm

May you receive light.

15. Nana

December 14, 2016 at 4:40 pm

MC Abbey is very rude and uncouth. Just listen to yourself speak. At your age. Upon all your so called prayer and fasting sessions. You better pray for the spirit of discernment so that you know blue from red. Because it is putting food on your table you don’t care to know how? All these people from Toke Makinwa to MC Abbey who I never even heard of before now, using God’s name to do whatever they feel. Go to the Bible. See if God supports making jest in his house or if he supports one night stand as per Toke.

16. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Well that was pretty rude… Do you understand how easy it is to lose clients this way? You have every right to be indignant (no need to be reminding you of that as we all know we are a rights-obsessed peoples); only use measured and cultured language next time, hmm?

17. mela

December 14, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Pls why was he writing ‘Alter’ instead of Altar????

18. Big Tee

December 14, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Were the spelling errors a form of comedy? #wemustlaff !!!

19. Loki

December 14, 2016 at 5:35 pm

So a Pastor, a Priest and a Rabbi come up to the pearly gates and meet St Peter playing the harp… ooops, sorry about that! Nevermind.

• A Real Nigerian

December 14, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Lol

20. Me!!!!

December 14, 2016 at 6:48 pm

I don’t think Jesus shed His precious blood for His church so that we can have comedians. There is no scriptural backing for comedy in church. Eph 4:11 down to 13 mentions who should speak in the church and for what reason and purpose.

This man is all about not losing where he gets money from and not about what is right or required.

21. Hmm

December 14, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Let me guess you also got inspiration from the “Holy Spirit” to talk to an elder like this abi? It speaks a lot about your relationship with God.

Lol @ ministry. So God now gives comedians ministries, oh pray tell us more..

Lol Jesus is coming and pastors are busy bringing comedians to church, to what end? How does it prepare them for their Lord.
    Okay I have a good laugh, then what? How did I become more like Jesus?

Men of God wake up! Judgement will start in the house of God.

22. Babe

December 14, 2016 at 7:14 pm

All things are lawful but not all things are expedient – 1 Cor 10:23. You know what baffles me about this generation? It is how we are so quick to jump on the bandwagon and describe an opinion as being judgmental or even try to rationalize it with our modern day interpretation of what Christianity should be.
    I bet if Jesus drove traders from the temple in today’s modern day a lot of us will scream fowl… God is love but still he is to be revered in fact highly revered.. we should fear him so much that we do not want to offend him but this days all we emphasize is the tender and loving nature of God that makes it easy for us to sin (in various ways) and explain it away after all he already said not one is without sin. The message is clear lets not try to twist it to suit our small minds and as for Mr. Abbey, Mike Bamiloye passed his message across without one iota of insult but then it is okay for you to tell a man that can pass for your father to SHUT UP. You’re such a great role model. Continue. While at it remember that God can see that you were sooo angry the only way to express it was to say SHUT UP.

23. funmilola

December 14, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Mr Abbey, you are very rude!
    my sister was at the experience and the only thing she said she heard from your blasphemous joke was “mess mess mess”!
    you have a dull spirit,no vex

24. Idomagirl

December 14, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Your “joke” at The Experience was very distasteful and far from funny.
    You took a bible verse, twisted it and kept saying ‘mess’ ‘mess’ all over the place.
    WHY SHOULD YOU JOKE WITH THE WORD OF GOD?
    I asked this on the other post and I’m asking here again, will you see a Jew, Muslim, Hindu or any other religious person, take a verse from their sacred texts and then proceed to try to make it a joke?
    We shouldn’t put God in a box, but let’s also remember that He is a consuming fire.

We are not saying Christians shouldn’t laugh, but you Nigerian comedians should stop joking with things that are sacred.
    God is not your mate.
    Stop disrespecting His Word, the name of Jesus and the Gifts of the Spirit. Stop.

• ebony

December 14, 2016 at 11:57 pm

I just kept cringing when he wouldn’t stop saying “mess.. Even Akopororo’s so called jokes were just not funny

25. XYZ

December 15, 2016 at 8:39 am

Mike Bamiloye who is way older than almost everyone involved passed a message and his opinion across without a word of insult. If Abbey agrees or not is fine. But he – MC Abbey should learn to also communicate and disagree without throwing insults about. It tells a lot about his upbringing. Badly behaved adults all around the the place! Sad.

• Rise

December 15, 2016 at 11:44 am

Don’t mind him.
      He’s talking about having a ministry but see how rude he is.

26. SlayPretty

December 15, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Well, for me its pretty much a personal issue – You can just not be too godly or be too worldly. And the godly guy (Bamiloye here) cannot lower his standards for a comedy while the lighten-up godly guy (MC Abbey here) cannot just see why this “issue” should taken too seriously. He feels like….”relaaaaax peeps, chill. Allow God to fight for his standard of what church should be” That kind of a thing. It’s just no big deal, really.