News

So Sad… 2 Corps Members die in NYSC Camp

BellaNaija.com

A Corps Member, Elechi Chinyerum, 27, on Tuesday died at the Bayelsa National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camp after bleeding and vomiting on arrival at the camp.

According to PUNCH, the graduate of the Ignatius Azuru University of Education, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, was confirmed dead about 9pm on Tuesday five days after arriving at the camp.

The report added that the deceased looked “terribly sick” when she arrived at the camp on Thursday last week.

She was rushed  to the camp’s sick bay on Tuesday after she relapsed into ill-health

A source said, “The doctor at the NYSC camp’s clinic immediately referred her to the state-owned Diette-Koki Memorial Hospital in the Opolo area of Yenagoa, the state capital, where she was confirmed dead.”

According to some NYSC officials,  the development was a case of “non-disclosure” of state of health by the corps member.

ukeme-monday

Ukeme Monday

Another Corps member, Ukeme Monday who was deployed to Zamfara state, has also kicked the bucket. His friend, Imo Udo (@immopat) shared the sad news on Instagram on Friday. He wrote:

November 21st…… l helped you check your state of deployment online

November 22nd….. We went to itam market to buy our kits for the orientation exercise.

November 23rd…..We all departed Uyo to our respective camps.

December 1st…… I got the sad news that you’re no more.
What a ruthless you world.

Ikpa, whatever reason that made you leave this world so soon is unfair.
Why now? But why now?

After all the stress and sleepless nights we went through together for 5years.

You made a First class,
You were overall Best in the ’10 Engineering class,
You won about four scholarships.
You organized free tutorials for junior colleagues and even your own mates.

I really don’t have words to express how felt when I heard the news about the your untimely demise.
…….and I really can’t understand why God allowed this one to happen.
Brotherly, though you are gone, I know your legacies and the impact you created will forever be remembered.

Rest On Ukeme Monday
It is well
God knows best

Another friend, Victor Jerry Emahwrote on Facebook:

I should have known… I should have paid more attention to what you were saying. Your body, spirit and soul rejected that posting… I should have had the powers to relocate you. I should have listened closely… All is not well Ukeme Monday don’t tell me that!

monday-ukeme-death

This sad news is coming after the death of Oladepo Ifedolapo, a graduate of  Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), who lost her life due to negligence by NYSC officials who thought she was feigning sickness and refused to attend to her until things got out of hand.

Condolences to the families.

1. Ify

December 2, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Scrap NYSC! Scrap NYSC! Scrap NYSC! Scrap NYSC! Scrap NYSC!
    I’m awaiting service and I’m just hoping, in fact I’m praying it is cancelled before next year. Instead of this unnecessary sufferhead in camp, why not organize skills acquisition classes? Not everyone is physically equipped for this.

• Nneka

December 3, 2016 at 3:33 am

Ajuwaya, pack your bags o. You are still going to camp.

2. Yes

December 2, 2016 at 2:29 pm

I agree. The scheme is lost. NYSC is not all that, do something else for the youths.
    Most of the people deployed to states are depressed. A day before yesterday one died on our camp in Kano. I am also feeling lost here- NySC is not necessary

3. Gsix

December 2, 2016 at 2:44 pm

If the death of these two young patriots cannot even trigger a conversation about the usefulness of the NYSC scheme in the National Assembly, then it justifies why “..under the sun and in the rain…” Is bullshit.
    May God grant the families the fortitude to bear their loss.

4. frank teacher

December 2, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I served in Zamfara over 10 years ago, it wasn’t as bad as the hype… oh, then we didn’t have GSM networks, internet and co, yet we survived the seat of sharia.
    but, I still don’t see the need to put young people where they believe is the end of the world, because then, the aim of NYSC will be defeated.
    by all means let them serve, but if them no wan cross water, or go north, give them other options abeg

5. EbonyFre

December 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm

BN please which one is “… has also kicked the bucket”? Who still says such things? Where are your new writers from?
    This country is insane. Everyone is insane!!
    How can someone die because those in charge thought she was feigning sickness?
    Sigh
    RIP to them and may God comfort their families

6. Sonia Paloma

December 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I don’t see the point of this NYSC. I see some pictures of the deplorable state a lot of these NYSC camps are and I just feel like throwing up.
    Our Government needs to do better. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    and those embezzling our Money will feel the pain 100 times more than what a lot of Nigerians are going through

7. tunmi

December 2, 2016 at 3:43 pm

What was the cause of death in each of these cases?

Poor kids.

8. o

December 2, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I belong to the #scrapNYSC team. But even if it won’t be scrapped, maybe it shouldn’t be mandatory. Then those that have no problems with it can serve and those that don’t want to can forget it.

My mum didn’t want me to go to Yikpata camp (Kwara) in 2006 cos I’m HbSS but Unilag had delayed me one year and I wasn’t ready to stay a second year at home, so I went. One SS guy took seriously ill and had to be rushed to UniIlorin teaching hospital so the camp director decided to let all the corpers with medical reports go back home. That was how I spent only one week in camp. I got home and three days later landed in LUTH with one of the worst episodes of malaria I have ever had. Temperature of 40°C. Thank God I got home when I did. Dont know how I would have been rushed back to Lagos in that state. I was still in the hospital when redeployment letter came out. It was my bro that went to pick it for me. For that one week I slept on the floor and couldn’t use the toilet. Only went to the bush once to shotput. So I wasn’t drinking water so as not to be pressed, and you know sickle cell patients must always be well hydrated. It was a rough week for me. Im just glad I got out fine..

FG really needs to look at this NYSC issue again abeg. Too many lives lost in the process. What of those that die on the roads travelling to and fro?? #sigh. May the souls of all departed corpers rest in peace Amen.

9. nene

December 2, 2016 at 4:14 pm

nysc needs to be revised or replaced with something meaningful. it was a scheme that was supposed to allow nigerian youths to be proud of their country and to serve their country in different ways, but the nysc of today is far from that. i think more people grow to hate nigeria during nysc (i know i did). people are forced to be in places they don’t want to be, the nysc staff just look for ways to collect money from youths and they don’t give a fuck bout them or the country. i believe people should have a choice of where to serve based on their course and interest, and the private sector should be mandated to take nysc corpers also. weekly cds is a waste of time, almost nothing gets done, and the nysc staff don’t bother to carry everyone along or imbibe certain ethics into the corpers.

10. Josephine

December 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm

“Kicked the bucket”? Show some respect. NYSC sgould be scrapped. This is a terrible tragedy. May God comfort their families.

11. Mo'Diva

December 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm

God pls this is too sad God please. “sighs”

12. Xoxo

December 2, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I can’t even deal with this. 3 lives lost already from this rubbish scheme called NYSC and camp started barely over a week.. SCRAP THIS B.S CALLED NYSC. It is of no use. And if it can’t be scrapped them it should not be mandatory. May the souls of the departed rest in peace. Amen

13. chifire

December 3, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Corp members should be deployed to their various states and LGA’s, in fact, to their villages to serve. Case dismissed.