Scoop

Dencia fiercely defends Whitenicious on UK’s Channel 4 News & gets into a Twitter Fight with the Show’s Second Guest

BellaNaija.com

Singer Dencia is one to quickly defend her product Whitenicious, often correcting people that it is not a skin lightening product but a dark spot remover.

After being featured back in 2014 on UK’s Channel 4 News to talk about her skin lightening products, she was again featured recently to talk about the effects of skin lightening alongside comedian and journalist Ava Vidal and the show got pretty hot.

Watch a clip below.

After Channel 4 tweeted the clip above, things got pretty heated between Dencia and Ava with Ava calling Dencia “intellectually dishonest” and also referring to her as Casper the Ghost. For Dencia, she emphasized the fact that the “dark spot removing” business is her business and that she has the statistics on what people use her products for.

See some of their tweets below.

Watch the full interview clip here.

1. Valentina

January 5, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Dancia looks terrible, damn! That Aval lady got her real good. Shame on you Dancia.

• Sandy

January 5, 2017 at 2:49 pm

She always covers up her damaged skin and uses henna too. Her Face is swollen from damaged Kidneys from her extreme bleaching!! She will soon need dialysis

• Jide

January 5, 2017 at 4:06 pm

This lady just said she had an auto immune disorder called Addison’s disease and she gained 20 pounds over the last few months maybe it’s the Addison’s that’s making her look bloated or maybe she is pregnant since she has been – Pogba hard for the past months

• Ec

January 5, 2017 at 8:25 pm

She looks terrible frankly a bit scary

• Sandy

January 5, 2017 at 2:55 pm

She is always covering up her damaged skin and Wears Henna for Knuckles…. Face is swollen because of Kidney Damage from Toxic Bleaching!!! She will soon need Dialysis…….

2. Awiase

January 5, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Mama Pogba kwantinu ok,your time would soon be up when your dermis and epidermis are almost non existent.All the same its your life

3. capt jack

January 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Dencia lost this round oo

4. Segi

January 5, 2017 at 2:11 pm

What’s going on with her face, did she fill it? The skin lightening makes her skin look greasy.

5. EE

January 5, 2017 at 2:11 pm

How isn’t this bullying??? Just do a mental swap and replace Ava with a man or a white person, gauge your reaction.

Nigerians should try and remember, unlike Europeans, we are not paying for anybody’s healthcare. What they chose to do is their business and theirs alone. We should emulate these rabid westerners less.

Dencia was spot on, being darker doesn’t bestow some kind of special kind of negritude on you.

6. Ima

January 5, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I honestly don’t see anything wrong with people who want to lighten their skin, I don’t coz I love my skin but a lot of my friends do, in fact my sisters and my best friend lighten their skin and I have no problem with it. No body has the right to tell another person how to take care of their bodies, learn to respect other people’s decisions. I don’t like that this woman is bashing Dencia coz she bleached, I also don’t like that Dencia doesn’t want to accept the fact that a lot of people are using her products to get extremely fair. She may have primarily manufactured her products for black spots but there’s no denying people use it to lighten too. I thank God for the way I am tho, I could care less what an grown as adult chooses to do with their skin.

• bijouxthisbijouthat

January 5, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Please oo,if i may ask, why do they bleach? what is the purpose at the end of the day? objective is?
      i mean do they think it makes them more attractive and marketable(as Bobriskyy claims)?
      Just why please?>

• Ada_ugo

January 5, 2017 at 7:37 pm

but why do you care what the purpose is?
      do you wonder at the purpose when you walk down the street and see a lady with red lipstick? do you wonder at her motive? Who she was trying to seduce with them bold vivacious colours? perhaps if she is insecure with her natural lip colour? etcetera… No? I didn’t think so either… So why do people keep popping pills on other people’s matters?
      the important issue with bleaching, asides from the stereotypes it portrays, and asides from the skin disorders they are used to mask, is the actual damage it causes to the skin and health.
      The question we should all be asking is “Do the customers get a full disclosure of the common AND rare side effects that can result from using this product?”.. As long as they do, and they still happily went ahead to buy the product, their decisions should be respected, regardless of the purpose, cos quite frankly, the purpose is noone else’ business but theirs!

7. Fast cars

January 5, 2017 at 2:37 pm

At least Dencia is honest about her products. The one that baffles me is the way people ham in on Dencia and support others doing the same thing because they see them as “classy”
    Just look at the cream mixer cookieskin. Living in her own private world. Her skin is so horrible and she will heap praises and praises upon her self. Pls stop already, your layers are disappearing. I swear this is not a hate message! If u see her without the filters u wont believe it.

• Fast cars

January 5, 2017 at 2:41 pm

The funny thing is that before she started lightening, she had such a beautiful light caramel skintone. She really was cookieskin but you know what they say about humans and contentment.

8. bijouxthisbijouthat

January 5, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Dencia looks bloated here..is everything well and good?

9. May

January 5, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Dencia jst got wat she wanted, bleaching is wrong! Take it or live it, she really lacks the intellect to educate on this issue and this argument had got nothing to do with racism hy bring it up? I’ve always known her products to be skin whitening, why deny it? You gain much respect by being you in a positive way …#Denciadonhearam#

10. Marian

January 5, 2017 at 2:59 pm

People like Toke, Omowunmi and Dabota should start giving out advice on how to do it properly. I know this lady and her face literally looks burnt from bleaching. Sometimes when i am watching a yoruba movie and they do a close up i just wanna pause and be like nah, please call Toke to give you the right recipe.
    Since they’ve managed to somehow do it and still look ‘clean’ (i hate to use that word but i can’t think of a proper term right now) they should do some kinda talk on it to educate people.

• Cocolette

January 5, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Toke doesn’t even have the right recipe…that’s like frying pan to fire

• Nene

January 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm

You used wrong examples. Those women have messed up skin.

11. jane smith

January 5, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Have you seen Toke’s feet though? I don’t know about ‘looking clean’ as you put it.. We live in a free world though, if you don’t like skin bleaching, don’t do it. If you like it, do it. Simple.

12. Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 5, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Some black people with their insecurities sha. Ava should deal with her issues and pack well biko. Are they bleaching your skin? Are they bleaching for you? Na you skin fit damage in the process? Mscheeeeeeew. Being black or white doesn’t make you any more or less beautiful. I don’t see any difference between skin lightening and cosmetic surgery. You don’t like what you were born with and you have the money to buy that which you desire, go ahead biko. #YOLO

In Dencia’s defense, most of the pics I’ve seen on whitenicious IG profile are of those using them to get rid of dark spots and patches NOT those baffing the cream to turn white. If you’re baffing the cream sef, you must be f**king loaded ’cause those tiny bottles are ridiculously expensive…IMO.

• Ms.B

January 5, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Oh please, bleaching is due to inferiority complex. Ask toke or read her book, she elaborates more on that. As TLC sang and let me edit it “you can buy all the moisturizers that dencia makes, but u can look inside and still feel unpretty”. The prettiest girls are those who love themselves the way they are, beauty comes from within.

• Fleur

January 6, 2017 at 1:15 am

Listen peeps, inferiority complex is a hard thing to handle. If Dencia’s confidence to do business and be successful in fickle hollywood comes with destroying her skin, that is what lot she has carved out for herself. let her be. Michael Jackson with all his glory had to whiten his skin to fit in in his mind. If she has vitiligo and leaves it as is, you know you people will not allow her rest, and she will not have the access she does unless she is a dotcomer or some other business mogul with bazillion dollars. I think Ava was unnecessarily excessively personal. Just my thoughts.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 7, 2017 at 2:14 pm

@Ms.B Speak for yourself biko. Not everyone who lightens their skin has an inferiority complex. My skin darkens easily when I overexpose myself to sun and when that happens I go on skin lightening soaps for like a month to get the color back to brown then I stop. I don’t look good with dark skin thus the occasional skin lightening treatments.

I see some naturally light skinned folks and in my mind I’m like “Nna men, you need to tan biko. You’re too bright” and then I see some dark skinned peeps like IG’s @melaniin.goddess and I’m like “God why I no black, fine die like this? Beht why?! ?”

Summary: for some people, skin lightening is about looking good and not inferiority complex or wanting to deny the black race and join the white race. ???

P.S: Can anyone suggest a good after bath body oil with ogbonge SPF? Thanks in advance.

13. ifiii

January 5, 2017 at 3:38 pm

These women were most likely called to the show to give this entertainment and to argue. sad

14. promise

January 5, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Women… See How to get a lady in the public and win her heart

15. Kobby

January 5, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Why won’t someone be proud of their skin color? Check out – (www.nigeriansociety.com)

16. Nene

January 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I’m not an advocate for bleaching but it’s like plastic surgery for people of colour. They believe it makes them look better, so I can’t knock Dencia. Like plastic surgery, there are side effects and if u can deal with that, no problem.

17. Whocares

January 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Nah, she messed up here. The thing is colourism is an important issue in the black community, and it has eaten so deep into our roots and consciousness as a people. Dencia cannot sit on that chair bold as punch and say every person that buys her product uses it to erase dark mark. That is dishonest, and no Dencia is not intellectual. She is just out here to make her money, however in the search for publicity, she has made herself the scapegoat for the wider community. The intellectuals will attack her, the moralists will also.
    In this instance, I agree with Ava, however I do not like that it devolved into that.. as a personal rule, I don’t bother arguing or fighting with people I know I am in a better position to teach. If she wants to teach Dencia because lets face it, Dencia is ignorant of the wider issues surrounding this, do so without ridicule. If you don’t want to, say your piece and shut the fuck up. At the end of the day, won kan fi Dencia gba star ni (they used Dencia to collect star?)
    Now Dencia, in future, admit. What you peddle is a terrible product for the black community, however you are not the first entrepreneur to market death or poison (ciggarete companies anyone?) They admitted that yes it causes cancer, and then slapped a sticker on the ciggys reminding people of that fact, still doesn’t prevent people from buying it. They admitted and owned a certain level of social responsibility and did away with asinine twitter wars.. That’s what you do next Dencia. Whocares out! loool

• Mz_Danielz

January 6, 2017 at 5:45 pm

But why is colorism a big issue for black people though?, we waste time arguing over irrelevant things; natural vs artificial hair, dark skinned vs fair skin. We should be bothered about the littld number of inventors and people involved in the real world sectors; science, etc as well as our position in the economic scale. These are issues we should be bothered about not irrelevant things like colorism and hair

18. king Bey

January 5, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Go Dencia…..who blackky help?

19. Nahum

January 5, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Yes, nobody has the right to tell anyone how to live their life. I agree!!! We all should be able to do what we want, without question!! But please let us not even pretend that skin bleaching was not developed out of self hate for darker skin. We are not talking about people changing the color of a sweater because green looks better on them. We are talking about people changing their SKIN COLOR because having a darker hue makes them feel inferior. So rather than having an infantile argument on whether we should or should not bleach, I think a better discussion should be held on why on earth you would allow yourself to feel inferior to another.

20. Blueberry

January 5, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that she is pregnant? Cause don´t know how else to explain that weight gain.
    As for the bleaching, it is whoever´s wahala if they wish to bleach. I believe the consumers of the products are adults that are aware of the side effects. So to each his own!

But wait o….Is Dencia the only entrepeneur behind a bleaching product?
    Why don´t they attack the CEOs behind other companies producing the hundreds of thousands of bleaching creams, lotions, soap etc out there? I don´t get it! Why only HER?!

21. Kay

January 5, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I’m dark skinned, and will never bleach… but I’m with Dencia on this one. If people decide to lighten/bleach their skin tone, you cannot make it your own problem.. just keep it moving. That dark skinned woman was disrespectful abeg

• Mariam

January 5, 2017 at 7:58 pm

I agree. Theres something called free will and respect of peoples choices. What about white women who tan their skin or go through surgery to get big bums, lips, hips, boobies etc. As long as people are aware of the risks involved and they are happy and comfortable with their choices. Who are we to judge?

22. skin expert anonymous

January 5, 2017 at 8:02 pm

toke makinwa does glutathione injection treatment. that’s how she was able to solve her dark knuckles. many Nigerian women have this treatment. it unifies the skin, makes it glow with youthful look, you can lighten your skin depending on the shade you want. so toke decided to have this treatment to help her get rid of the dart patches, youthful look etc.. she was very consistent with the treatment during her book signing!!!

23. Nolo

January 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm

But is it your inferiority complex?

24. please do eyesight test yearly!

January 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Skin bleaching is a MENTAL ILLNESS!!!

25. Abimbola

January 6, 2017 at 1:34 am

Soborry help me,this ur b4 and after whitenicious photos of Madam Ava’s baby is confusing ,dats so not b same child in both photos.

• Nakoms

January 6, 2017 at 3:52 am

You be olodo

26. Rose

January 6, 2017 at 2:16 am

Denecia, what a mess.

27. MissNk

January 6, 2017 at 10:56 am

When I saw her knuckles(cookieskin), I was so stunned. How are her products so expensive and they don’t work for her?