Style

BN Pick Your Fave: Kerry Washington & Adesua Etomi

BellaNaija Style

Hey BN Style Watchers, are you following all the fashion from the 2017 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCA)?

On the red carpet, we spotted actress Adesua Etomi in a lovely Mai Atafo floral gown.

She completed her look with drop earrings, a gold clutch, a chic up do and stunning make-up.

The piece is similar to the dress actress Kerry Washington wore to the Emmys. Kerry’s dress is by Marchesa.

Who is your fave?
Photo Credit: Instagram.com/BellaNaijaStyle

1. funmilola

March 4, 2017 at 10:36 pm

?photocopy ko easy?

2. BlueEyed

March 4, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Somewhat creative plagiarism.
    Adesua is a beatiful girl and the dress looks good on her. Her hair and make up ??????

3. Me

March 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm

I think I actually prefer mai Atafos version

• Ese V

March 7, 2017 at 11:35 pm

you mean Mai Atafo’s copy. Because he so obviously copied another designer’s work.

4. Mama Tee

March 4, 2017 at 11:04 pm

This is the same dress! BN its because you people like Mai Atafo. I never liked the guy and to think he did this to my girl, Adesua Etomi. This is not cool. #ThiefKoko

• Jadiel

March 5, 2017 at 12:09 am

I think mai’s version looks terrible, gooosh. how could he sew that rubbish that looks like curtain for my girl. look at how beautiful n classy kerry looks compared to adeswa and i cannot even forgive the back.

• #Proudnigerian

March 5, 2017 at 6:45 am

Adesua is now everybody’s girl hehehe who no like better thing!

5. Plain

March 4, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Mai at it again…osheey. The photocopy machine

• My thoughts exactly

March 5, 2017 at 6:04 pm

No originality… Just copy and paste. Always

• mhiz berry

May 11, 2017 at 5:24 pm

the back view of Adesua Etomi is not sown neatly…..kerry back nd the front view was flawless

6. teeA

March 4, 2017 at 11:18 pm

LOOOOL! If they are not stealing photos & dogs, they are lifting dress designs.

• Bella

May 26, 2017 at 1:50 pm

LWKMD – you’re wicked for dis ur comment o, chai I don die o!! Stealing dogs! omo bad gal

7. Please stop it

March 4, 2017 at 11:42 pm

You people just want us to laugh. I wonder why Adesua never impresses me. You’re now comparing this dress to Marchesa. Jesu.

8. Bubu

March 4, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Please can we make this a style topic. What is wrong with recreating a style. If the client says can u create this same style then u will say u are not doing or what. I m not a fashionista but I get confused wen pple call out designers for recreating a style. Celebrity or not.

• cara

March 5, 2017 at 12:11 am

I just think it’s embarrassing for a top designer like Mai to do this. It’s just like him admitting that he doesn’t have his own creative mind so he resorts to doing replicas like any common tailor.

• Ramat

March 5, 2017 at 9:03 am

So you wee go to Karl Lagerfeld and tell him to recreate a dress you saw at Prada?????? Mstchewwww

• Ese V

March 7, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Dear Bubu, it is in places like Nigeria that people get away with plegiarism.
      There is nothing like “recreating” another designer’s work by a top designer who does his own runway shows and displays what he claims are original designs to critical applause. He is not my local lekki tailor.
      It is like copying another person’s homework. or stealing music without credit. or copying research/ thesis.
      Call a spade a spade, please

9. MaMa

March 5, 2017 at 12:06 am

Na wah Ooooo… we never finish for Oge Okoye case now enter Mia Athiefo!!! Very ugly version. The guy lacks creativity.
    Yeye dey smell

• mhiz berry

May 11, 2017 at 5:25 pm

not that ….his finishing was blaahhhhhhhhhhhh….looks like she wore a long cele skirt insyd..#nohardfellin…and the back is too exposed….thumbs up for kerry

10. Hotspice_yimu

March 5, 2017 at 12:07 am

Kerry all the way. There is an effortless flow to the dress. Adesua’s dress lack that flow and if she hadn’t been a natural beauty, the dress would have been……..

11. cara

March 5, 2017 at 12:08 am

The bust part of adesuwas dress is ill fitted and the fabric isn’t draping like the style of dress requires plus that slit, i dont get. It looks like it was made in a rush. Kerry’s is way better

12. Chantal O

March 5, 2017 at 12:11 am

Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,..I am sure Georgina is tickled pink that she ‘inspired’ such a precise ‘homage’ (read copy-paste) to her design…

13. Hotspice_yimu

March 5, 2017 at 12:19 am

And BN you don’t have to always be politically correct to a group of people. I’m sure your wordings would have been different if it were an unknown designer. Good criticism is healthy for business growth and continuity

• Mama Tee

March 5, 2017 at 12:44 am

My point exactly!

14. Derin87

March 5, 2017 at 12:27 am

Adesua’s dress is legit a mixture of curtain and bedsheet, Mai really fell hand. The front of the dress isn’t so bad, but the back is a disaster, especially the bottom

15. Copy copy

March 5, 2017 at 12:38 am

Should have been pick your fave; Marchesa’s design vs Mai Atafo’s replica or creative photocopy.

This is why Nigeria is 3rd world, our elites are mediocre. BN if it were some other designer, you would have thrown subtle shades but because Mai sits on the cool kids table abi?
    If you like don’t post this

16. Moore

March 5, 2017 at 7:21 am

I like Mai’s version the colour looks nicer, Adesua’s hair is a no.

17. Titi

March 5, 2017 at 7:33 am

I think I like Mai’s version better , only he would have used an easy flowing lace material just like Kerry’s. I like the burst part on Mai’s the floral design is really beautiful. p.s there’s really nothing bad in re- creating a design.

18. Latifa

March 5, 2017 at 7:36 am

What if Adesua wanted this style? We are so quick to criticize our own. Some people are even calling him a thief….Haba!! Well done Mr Mai Atafo ????

19. Id

March 5, 2017 at 8:05 am

That slit behind. Oh no.

20. mama zam

March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am

Athiefo! You no try at all.

21. Mum

March 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

I came here becos of the comments. Not disappointed , at all ???

22. Idomagirl

March 5, 2017 at 2:47 pm

BN is getting better at this shade game.

23. deedee

March 5, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Adesua, you are my girl any day, but this dress looks better on Kerry, i like the flow of her material, it seems effortless….

24. Isidore

March 5, 2017 at 11:08 pm

I wonder why all this nosy people are calling mai names but you guys will visit asoebi blogs save the pics take them to your tailor and create a replica and y’all here ranting, you all guys should move over mai did a good job with the design and she wore it like couture so y’all can either appreciate or just zip it. Thanks

• Mz Socially Awkward....

March 6, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I’m not sure if you realise what you’ve subliminally done… but, in other words, you just totally threw Mai Atafo, one of Nigeria’s top designers, into the exact same skills category as our “copy and sew” 5k tailors.

Chai. Shade on a whole other level. πŸ™

• "changing moniker"

March 7, 2017 at 6:31 am

As in. ….In her rush to defend ??

25. Peace

March 27, 2017 at 10:46 am

Adesua etomi dress by Mai Atafo wore it better

26. Ree

April 12, 2017 at 12:12 pm

We copy too much. Kerry’s dress is way better.

27. mememe

September 25, 2017 at 12:17 am

but how do you know Mai Atafo copied ? i know oscar de la renta copied a much smaller designer’s work, Cimoneuk. big brands rip off smaller brands too.