According to BBC News, The WBC Cruiserweight champion, Tony Bellew admitted that a big-money offer for one further fight could be too lucrative to turn down as rumours surrounding his retirement continues.
The 34 year old Liverpudlian had earlier stated that he is considering retirement following his surprise victory over bitter rival David Haye at London’s O2 Arena on Saturday.
Haye, who has had surgery on the Achilles tendon he ruptured in the sixth round during the fight, sent a letter of appreciation to his fans through his representative.
“David would like to thank everyone for their many messages of support, as well as the staff at the hospital,” read a statement from Haye’s representatives.
Bellew defied most pre-fight predictions to win on his heavyweight debut but told reporters this would be his final 12 months as a fighter.
“There’s a certain number of times you can keep doing this and it’s not many more times I’ll be honest,” added Bellew, who now has 29 wins and a draw from 32 fights.
When asked if this will be his last fight, Bellew said: “It’s an option. It’s something I’m thinking about.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn said on Sunday that representatives of American WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder and WBO champion Joseph Parker of New Zealand had contacted him about a potential fight.
After the fight, Bellew called boxing a “freak show” in which he was happy to play the “pantomime”, but said he’ll enter another fight if the offer is “too big” to turn down.
However, Bellew’s trainer Dave Coldwell said,
“I would be happy if he walked away. He won a world title, he secured his family’s future, so for me, I would be happy if he said that he’s done'”.
Photo Credit: Twitter – Tony Bellew