Events

First Photos from the Official Launch of Simi Esiri’s “SCHICK” Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Leading bloggers and fashion industry powerhouses joined Simi Esiri, publisher and editor-in-chief, SCHICK Magazine and Titi Adesanya, Creative Director, SCHICK Magazine to announce it’s official launch, the highly anticipated fashion, beauty and lifestyle publication curated for the smart, stylish and successful African woman.

SCHICK Magazine was inspired by the publisher’s experience while living in the diaspora and then moving back to work in Africa’s burgeoning fashion and beauty industry. The magazine style is simple, contemporary and creates an appealing experience for the young African woman who is fashion conscious and wants to be informed of all the latest developments in the world of style and beauty. The quarterly issued magazine will be packed with engaging content that includes the latest fashion trends, functional fashion, fashion history, SCHICKDebates, SCHICKWeddings, SCHICKAtWork amongst many others.

“I strongly believe that the focus is now heavily shifting and by 2025, fashion and entertainment industry can be the sustenance for the economy. Individuals like us need to come together to enable this industry to grow to where it should be.” said Simi Esiri.

“Africans have a unique sense of style, culture and creativity. SCHICK will provide the right international platform to showcase who we are, what we wear and what we do.” said Titi Adesanya.

The media briefing precedes the 2-day launch event this weekend where invited guests will be taken on a journey through the making of the magazine and will enjoy an art gallery style exhibition with pages of the debut issue blown out in life-size canvas pieces as well as the opportunity to mingle with SCHICK’s debut cover star, leading award-winning actress Rita Dominic with other notable celebrities and influencers in attendance.

See more photos below

1. just saying

April 22, 2017 at 10:40 pm

another LUXURY fashion Magazine
    Affordable LUXURY huh?

okay. Congratulations – VERY LUXURRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY VERY CLASSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY – LUXURY MAGAZINE.

I am praying for day someone will launch an african lifestyle blog or magazine thats is not fashion but all the other regular things that happens in normal peoples lifes. How many more fashion blogs and magazines.

2. linda

April 22, 2017 at 10:50 pm

fashion this FAshion thats, Oh i am so bored.
    What else is new
    We need something unique

3. Anon

April 22, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Schick is actually the German word for posh, fashionable, chic, fancy.

4. Fifi

April 22, 2017 at 11:29 pm

The only Nigerian magazine i ever actively bought was True Love,i wonder who their target market are, i always wonder if those house of maliq people actually make a profit

• tunde

April 22, 2017 at 11:52 pm

oh i thought it was mens razor brand

• hayat

April 22, 2017 at 11:55 pm

TRUE LOVE IS SOUTH AFRICAN BRAND with issues in South Africa Nigeria and KENYA
      NOT NIGERIAN OWNED
      I dont live in SA so i actually subscribe and read on digitally online. I like it. Better content.
      I dont read any nigerian mag anymore – they are all predictable. Fashion ko, Fashion ni. There is more to live than fashion

• hayat

April 22, 2017 at 11:59 pm

magazine business is very hard especially since everyone can get info online now -thats why its advisable to go digital for a few years to test the market before you go printinng.

And if you launch a print mag business you better be ready you have some solid content and you are unique – ad not the same ole same ole copy cut paste and fashion fashion fashion like the regular naija blogs do – ole same ole same ole – never original or unique in ANYTHING .

Fashion blogs and magazines are going downhill – only the strongest who have been doing this for decades survive – folks need something different.

• True Love!

April 23, 2017 at 2:00 am

Oh my! True Love, the only Nigerian magazine I ever had a subscription to. The quality and content was amazing. I was really sad when they stopped publishing. No other magazine came close theirs

• Dr. N

April 23, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Bring back true love west afrika

5. Tina

April 23, 2017 at 12:16 am

Borning boring boring. Simi needs something to stay relevant besides being Dr. Sid’s wife. And this nonsense about diaspora blah blah blah, rme. How exactly is this appealing to the young african woman? Im tired of all this nonsense you people are always selling us.

• Rashida

April 23, 2017 at 1:11 am

I personally would like to read her magazine and it particularly appeals to me because I think she’ll cover articles I can relate to given that I am a Nigerian in the diaspora. You may not be buying what she is selling but there are those of us who are interested. Also,I hope no one disparages your work in the future, if you ever have the opportunity to accomplish feats like this.

• Pastor Moi

April 23, 2017 at 10:44 am

Kai! So it is another woman’s success that is causing you so much pain? Eyaa! It shall be well with you OK! Just say this prayer after me
      “Dear Lord, I, Tina, want to thank you for giving me this beautiful day. I thank you for giving me life. And even though it isn’t much of a life, at least the amount of bile and bitterness seeping out of my soul has not choked me to death, which is a great miracle. Father, please grant me the grace to be content with my miserable life. Please grant me the strength, humility and foresight to rejoice with people in their success. Please, do not allow jealousy, malcontent and self-hatred to keep me from wishing my fellow women well. Because years of wishing others evil is what has caused my stagnation in life. In Jesus name I pray with thanksgiving, AMEN!!!”
      God bless you my dear. It shall be well, OK?

6. justsaying

April 23, 2017 at 12:35 am

i am tired too bunnies! to think I am very into fashion but now getting bored cause its people doing the same thing! God help me, I need something fresh, new ..I need, I need….

• @justsaying

April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

To do something meaningful with your life?

• VivaMaria

April 24, 2017 at 1:08 pm

then create something new. create. create

7. Nike A

April 23, 2017 at 12:44 am

Lol, this is what these 2 live for, publicity, instagram/instagram story. “Everybody look what at what I’m doing, I’m in church, I’m doing this, I’m doing that”. They will soon post 500 pictures on instagram now.

8. Deb

April 23, 2017 at 1:03 am

True love magazine needs to come back

• True Love!

April 23, 2017 at 2:01 am

Yes! They need to!

9. funmilola

April 23, 2017 at 7:14 am

Do people really buy these magazines?
    In this era of “everything is in the Internet”

10. Michy

April 23, 2017 at 10:16 am

I miss true love so much, I don’t think I can find another love like it. It never disappointed me, every edition was a hit back to back. There was always a page that inspired, motivated me and made me laugh even when I didn’t want it.

I tried Genevieve but there is nothing like true love. Its once in a lifetime.

11. Adeanon

April 23, 2017 at 10:25 am

Wow. This is terrible. Two women trying to do their own thing dismissed like this like you have a personal issue. She needs something to stay relevant ? That’s so deep. Someone God created in his image has to conform to what you think she should be doing. WOW!

• Rose

April 23, 2017 at 1:21 pm

It’s funny when people say God created humans in his image – does God have breasts or a penis ?

• AntiRose

April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Gosh you are very dumb oh!

• Papermoon

April 23, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I will let you know when I get to heaven.

12. TgirlUK

April 23, 2017 at 10:55 am

Aspire Magazine was also very good. Wish they could bring it back

13. Icrossmyheart

April 23, 2017 at 11:08 am

I think all the hate these women are getting is because people feel they had it easy because they were born into a family by a parent who is corrupt.

But we should not dismiss their effort to bring back some positivity. The problem with print is that it is becoming obsolete. Conde nast, owner of Vogue, Harper, Elle and co, is struggling to keep afloat. This explains why they have produced documentaries such as September Issue, etc to bring in money and widen their audience.

However, Schick has potential in Nigeria. But the price tag would limit their audience especially in this recession. It is why Genevieve and Todays Woman (TW) have had to reduce the number of print copies in order to cut costs.

Nonetheless, we should praise people when they are doing something productive and enterprising.

• Ify

April 23, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Who is this corrupt parent, please? I’ve always wondered why people don’t like them

14. nike

April 23, 2017 at 12:29 pm

simi and titi well done.when is the magazine going to be available in store.

15. Brose

April 23, 2017 at 1:24 pm

It’s funny when people say God created people in his image ? Does God have breasts ?

• AntiRose

April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Ode ni e sha!!!

16. bella

April 23, 2017 at 2:14 pm

It is so sad how most comments here are negative; i wonder why, seeing as these are two girls who are genuinely sweet and don’t step on people’s toes. well like someone mentioned up there, i guess its cos they are rich kids and people think they have everything easy. i follow simi on IG and she is always working, like morning to evening, on this magazine. we need to be more supportive of others. imagine the poor woman coming to read this post, knowing how much work she is putting in, only to see these negative comments; how heartbreaking. please let’s be kind. if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything.

17. Dr. N

April 23, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I like the name and will def check it out
    Dear Simi, make it awesome

18. Tee

April 23, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Money miss road true true, when people dey find capital to execute better business proposal. All the returnees wey no work for money in their life na so so fashion dem dey do. Abi na una prayer dey work on government people dem dem. Lol

19. Kbee

April 24, 2017 at 12:12 pm

We hardly ever see comments of people supporting their own, The fashion business in diaspora pays and if she feels there is an untapped market here, I buy into it. This must have taken a lot of hardwork and sleepless nights to create. Someone up there is talking about Simi trying to stay relevant. LMAO The woman is brilliant! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing the growth of the magazine. Nigeria to the world!

20. tiny

April 24, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Abeg make una talk another tin

21. I said so

April 24, 2017 at 8:24 pm

SCHICK! I actually like the name..its chic.I like that women are coming out of thier comfort zones to actually do things for themselves and be thier own boss.Clear indication that the world has changed.

My issue however is how only just a handful of women in Nigeria are exploring fields outside fashion.

I really wish SCHICK the best and hope it thrives considering we are in the internet age where i can just visit Pinterest for the latest Spring/Summer 17 trends and see so many posts , rather than asking my vendor for the latest edition of a magazine.

22. Tpepper

April 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Ah True love magazine was my one and only true love. It was the only magazine i ever bought with my money. Cos it was well worth it

23. TgirlUK

April 27, 2017 at 8:28 am

Celine Loader please bring back ASPIRE Magazine! That mag was really different from the usual fashion fashion fashion.. I was a regular subscriber and I still have all my copies, crisp and clean til date lol! I don’t know why it stopped. #bringbackASPIRE