News

“God made me pass through all these challenges to make me a better person” – Tee Billz

BellaNaija.com

Tee Billz

Over a year ago, artiste manager Tunji Balogun, popularly known as Tee Billz tried to take his life by jumping into the lagoon under the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge in Lagos. He was however rescued by passersby and friends and family who got wind of his intention.

He had insinuated that the reason for the move was as a result of a fallout between him and his wife.

Tee Billz, who went through rehabilitation for more than six months, returned to social media late 2016 as an advocate for mental health.

Speaking to PUNCH’s Saturday Beats recently, Tee Billz said everything that happened was for a reason, saying, “God made me pass through all these challenges to make me a better person.”

“The way I handle things now is completely different from how I acted in the past. I do better now because I know better. If I had gone through the experience before now, it probably wouldn’t make sense to me until I go through some challenging situations. But I thank God that I have been able to overcome all those through the guidance of my coach.

I only recently understand what it means to have a purpose in life. I have saved many people from committing suicide even though I don’t come out to say it. I was suicidal myself but God preserved me so I could also save others. I just realised that He kept me to touch the lives of others. People surely have their opinion about me and the entire issue, but God sees my heart and knows how much of a new man I am.

I am like Job in the Bible, God made me pass through all these challenges to make me a better person. I am only human, just like everyone else, so I am not immune to committing mistakes. My experience can be likened to a battle between evil and good. I am happy God redeemed me and pushed me on the side of good.

I am not being religious, I am just grateful to Him for giving me a renewed mindset. This is one of the biggest things coaching has done to me,” he said.

On whether his friends supported him during his ordeal, he said: “God is the only friend I have.”

When he was asked if him and his wife have settled their differences, he responded: “God is the only friend I have. He knows and has the best for me in His vineyard.”

Tee Billz thanked his coach Lanre Olusola for his support, adding that he is currently helping his colleagues in the industry who are going through similar challenges.

“I am already helping a couple of colleagues in the industry that require the type of coaching I have been through. I am open to working with others needing some sort of motivation and inspiration. Celebrities are humans too, our lives are out there for people to see but that does not mean we cannot make mistakes. The most important thing, however, is for one to surmount the challenge and triumph. I am happy with my life now,” he said.

1. Darius

May 20, 2017 at 8:45 am

God’s grace is sufficient for everybody. Thank God for your testimony.

Just make sure to live right! It pays to serve God!

• Tutelage

May 20, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Also, just make sure you take your meds Tunji.

• osa

May 20, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I hope edible catering was at least with you. Since ur friends deserted u.
      Look at him acting like he was all innocent. Meanwhile he was the one trying to bring down his wife due to his jealousy. Tunji i know ur type.

Tiwa nor gree u mess up her career. All the things she said were they lies? Yeye dey smell with some men sha.

2. benosky

May 20, 2017 at 8:49 am

To God be the glory for giving you another chance. My advise to you is that you should stay away from those things that push you to do all those things of the past. One thing you should know is that wife or husband is not in heaven but wife or husband can make you to make or miss heaven. GO BACK TO YOUR WIFE, PLAY YOUR PART AND LEAVE THE REST FOR GOD TO DO God be with you.

• godwin

May 20, 2017 at 9:14 am

olodo,
      Why do you guys always bring God into everything?

• Darius

May 20, 2017 at 12:11 pm

” why do you guys always bring God into everything?”
      @Godwin, because God is everything!

• Chu

May 20, 2017 at 1:16 pm

@Godwun, and your name is Godwin, wawu.

3. Omotola

May 20, 2017 at 8:55 am

I’m so happy for you,especially as someone who has been through what you did, I know people don’t believe easily when people learn from terrible mistakes they have made but it doesn’t matter. Focus on yourself and work hard at what you do, It will all make sense and God will see you through.
    Good luck

• Amaka

May 20, 2017 at 3:59 pm

@godwin. God is Almighty who rules in the affairs of men. The man who had an experience others cannnot understand is the one that knows who delivered him. If I tell people that I have heard some people sucking my blood and trying to get me blind in a dream but the blood of Jesus made them stop, some people in this generation will shout as though I am from outer space. If God requires a man’s soul tomorrow, that man cannot make a comment on Bella the next day. Let Tunde give Glory to God with no distractions.

4. survivor

May 20, 2017 at 9:13 am

do keep away from drugs too..we that God

5. Boss

May 20, 2017 at 9:28 am

Challenges? What Challenges? You lazy, thieving ass nigga. If you see challenges can you stand it. Fine gigolo boys like u plenty for Lagos. You chose to go the leachy lazy route. Go and find work to take care of your family. Man up Tunji. You want to die and you did not die quietly? Everything for show. Lazy ads bum. Foolish drug head.

• Ottawa Queen

May 20, 2017 at 9:37 am

Even God won’t respond to him this way after everything he’s been through. So who are you exactly to be so judgemental and harsh with your words? SMH!

• Jezebel

May 20, 2017 at 11:18 am

Question for Ottawa Queen – and you know how God would respond how exactly? Let me guess, your pastor told you that you’re God’s best friend?

• king Bey

May 20, 2017 at 11:19 am

Boss I love your comment die…lol lazy Nigerian man…@ Teebillz you don dey alright last last lol

• Blueberry

May 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

Na wa o! You sound like a proper bully! Infact a bad bele! Are you his baby mama?! Haba! All this for one person?! You talk as if you are faultless! Let he who has never sinned throw the first stone. We have all made our mistakes in life and change is our only constant. He is making progress in being a better person. Support and bless him, don’t destroy him abeg!

• Spunky

May 20, 2017 at 11:42 am

@ Boss-For the thing to pain you pass the bereaved,you must be “edible catering”.

• FindOut

May 20, 2017 at 11:43 am

Thunder fire that your mouth…ignorant mudafuka! What do you know about depression? Some Nigerians will never get sense till the end of time. Ode o shi, ti e fe ba e nan.

• Ottawa Queen

May 20, 2017 at 6:38 pm

@Jezebel, I need not answer your idiotic question. Your name says it all. So I know exactly where you come from.

• Mayowa

May 22, 2017 at 4:14 pm

You are not a perfect being and it is not in your place to condemn him. Romans 14:4

6. Ottawa Queen

May 20, 2017 at 9:40 am

Tbillz I’m happy you’ve found the light. That’s the most important thing right now. We all make mistakes and face hurdles that tune us to be better people in life. Your decision’s right now are very crucial especially for your family. Jam Jam will be so proud of you. When he grows up to hear the story of his father.

7. Haba

May 20, 2017 at 9:57 am

Boss please that’s not nice, God has everyone’s interest at heart, and He doesn’t turn anyone down provided they come to Him. Let’s give this man a chance – God loves him and God is rooting for him as well.

8. Me

May 20, 2017 at 10:02 am

I am so proud of you Tee billz. Keep going higher and do better. Well done!

9. Femmy O

May 20, 2017 at 10:18 am

t pays to serve Jesus, I speak from my heart,
    He’ll always be with us, if we do our part,
    There’s naught in this wide world can pleasure afford;
    There’s peace and contentment in serving the Lord.

Chorus:
    I love Him for better than in days of yore,
    I’ll serve Him more truly than ever before,
    I’ll do as He bids me whatever the cost,
    I’ll be a good soldier, I’ll die at my post.

10. Ethio

May 20, 2017 at 10:26 am

God God God God everywhere, all the same I’m happy you’re a better person now, the gold MUST pass through the fire and even the darkest night MUST give way for morning in due time.

11. AbiBaker

May 20, 2017 at 10:57 am

Just try to stay off the (social) nedia limelight. Or let it be very minimal. All the best further. #my2cents

12. Darius

May 20, 2017 at 12:12 pm

” why do you guys always bring God into everything?”
    @Godwin, because God is everything!

13. Josephine

May 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm

He’s talking the talk but only time and those close to him will tell if he’s walking the walk.

14. #GODISEVERTHING.

May 20, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Tee Billz the Lord is your strength. Hold unto HIM for HE is EVERYTHING.

15. Indigo

May 20, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Eya!!
    Thank God your life ..
    Not

16. john

May 20, 2017 at 4:54 pm

” why do you guys always bring God into everything?”@Godwin, because God is everything!…..that is dope?

• What a waawu

May 21, 2017 at 7:22 am

For the first time your head dey dia.

17. Chookz Nnene

May 21, 2017 at 7:49 am

This sounds like a cry of despair. “ I have saved many people from committing suicide even though I don’t come out to say it.”

18. Ribena Obsessed.

May 22, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Depression & Mental Health problems are very serious issues and should not be shunned the way they are in Nigeria and by Nigerians. No jokes there atall.

. ..buuttt he is mentioned “Colleagues?” which “Colleagues”? Denial too, is real. Plenty jokes there!

19. Tosin

May 23, 2017 at 12:11 pm

how many I’s and me’s can you squeeze into a paragraph mehnnn. Ask your coach to talk about that.