ImpactLabs is an initiative launched by students and graduates of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard University.
It launched in 2014 in the University of Lagos, and identifies areas of need in target communities, working with students to come up with engineering solutions.
In 2015, it was held in conjunction with the Technology Innovation Labs (TIL) of Bells University, Ota.
Students learn how to construct multiple devices, hear from entrepreneurial speakers around the country, as well as receive mentorship from fellow participants, instructors, and partners.
The program is free of charge, with free accommodation, and anyone from SSS1 to 300 Level in the university can apply. It is also open to students out of secondary school, seeking admission into a tertiary institution.
It boasts of a faculty of past students and Ph.D candidates of MIT, Harvard, and the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
The 2017 program will be residential and will take place between August 14-25, 2017 at the University of Benin, Edo State.
Before you start filling the application, make sure that you are:
- Between SS1 in high school and third year in the university. Those who have finished high school but waiting for admission to the university are also eligible.
- You are available to move to a hostel at the University of Benin by Sunday August 13th 2017 and stay until at least Friday August 25th 2017. You will only need to cover your cost of transportation.
- In this application form, we will collect information about you and your familiarity with using basic workshop tools. Please answer honestly – we will not disqualify students based on the information.
- You will find some 250-words-or-less essays to write. You may want to prepare your answer first and just copy and paste while filling the form.
What to fill in the essay:
- Why are you interested in being a participant of Impact Labs 2017?
- Describe the community you come from. Ex: I come from a family of 4 in Ogun State. At home, I am the eldest daughter which means that I usually…
- If we gave N200,000 today to impact your school, how would you use the money?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge in your community today?
For more information, contact email@example.com. The application closes on July 7th 2017.
Visit here to apply.
Photo Credit: ImpactLabs